PDA

View Full Version : I need help on men's hair tonic.

jacqueline101
November 30th, 2013, 02:18 PM
My six year old brother was at the store and I noticed he was looking at men's hair tonic. He kept asking me questions about it. His hair is fine the way it is. He went to the barber Monday and seen some men get a tonic put on their heads and the barber massaged their heads. I think that's what got his interest in tonic. He was wondering if perhaps the men would know of a good tonic.

Alun
November 30th, 2013, 03:21 PM
It's basically snake oil, LOL! I mean that in the metaphorical sense, of course. It is usually alcohol based so that it evaporates and doesn't leave your head wet. The theory is that scalp massage prevents male pattern baldness, but that was debunked decades ago, although I suppose it might be pleasant enough.

I used to use hair tonic for another purpose in my teens, before I grew long hair. It does help to make hair lay down instead of sticking up in odd directions. Of course when you grow it long the weight does that. But then, so does water. The only advantage of tonic over water from a tap (or faucet, in 'Merican) is that the hair tonic doesn't leave your head wet, or at least not for so long.

The brand I used at age 13 was Vitalis. Whether you can get that where you live, or even if they still make it over 40 years later, I have no idea.

jacqueline101
November 30th, 2013, 04:09 PM
It's basically snake oil, LOL! I mean that in the metaphorical sense, of course. It is usually alcohol based so that it evaporates and doesn't leave your head wet. The theory is that scalp massage prevents male pattern baldness, but that was debunked decades ago, although I suppose it might be pleasant enough.

I used to use hair tonic for another purpose in my teens, before I grew long hair. It does help to make hair lay down instead of sticking up in odd directions. Of course when you grow it long the weight does that. But then, so does water. The only advantage of tonic over water from a tap (or faucet, in 'Merican) is that the hair tonic doesn't leave your head wet, or at least not for so long.

The brand I used at age 13 was Vitalis. Whether you can get that where you live, or even if they still make it over 40 years later, I have no idea.

Okay thank you. Your answer has helped a lot. I tried to tell my brother he didn't need tonic. I think they make that brand. We looked at 4 million of them I can't remember them all.