PDA

View Full Version : What length is my hair? Also, should I trim? (pictures included)

pocketsmall
November 30th, 2013, 07:22 AM
My last trim was about 5 weeks ago, I had 2 inches taken off but I don't think it was enough. I have been having trouble with breakage since mid-August and I do believe unintentional sun bleach is the problem. When looking at my length, it is obvious to me when I started wearing a sun hat. My ends are MUCH thinner than I had expected them to be before taking pictures. My hair is ultra baby fine so I don't expect it to ever look particularly thick at the ends, but I think I could do much better. I am not sure what to do, should I get it trimmed to BSL? More maybe? I am also unsure what my current hair length is. Any advice would be appreciated.

http://i40.tinypic.com/33ehmx2.png

http://i41.tinypic.com/rcuk4x.png

bunzfan
November 30th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Mine hair can look like that it is often the lighting or even the top i am wearing, i think it looks pretty damn good your hair is like mine much thicker in the middle, also it means the sides just aren't clumping together so appear thinner you could micro trim for a few months that made a big difference to my hair thickness.

Rio040113
November 30th, 2013, 07:36 AM
I'd say that's waist and I don't think your ends look too thin at all but ultimately it's about what you like, so if you'd feel better microtrimming as bunzfan said then that's probably a good option to consider, instead of chopping back to bsl :)

bunzfan
November 30th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Also check out Emi video about micro trimming it is very encouraging http://youtu.be/hWRJ57j1AyI

Dandelion6
November 30th, 2013, 07:56 AM
I'd call that waist. The ends look a lot like mine. I've started micro trimming to thicken up. I do not see any reason to cut a huge chunk back to BSL unless that is what you want.

bythesea
November 30th, 2013, 08:21 AM
I think BIG trims help. My ends are really thick and I think it's because I've been growing my layers out and also because throughout the four years that I've been growing my hair, I didn't get a bunch of tiny trims, I got pretty big trims (by LHC definition).

Once a year I get about two inches off in order to smooth out my hair and cut off split ends. Then, about six months after that I get about another half inch to one inch off (usually after the winter time). This is a thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=117141) I started to show my hair growth, you can see that it doesn't grow very fast because of the big trims, but I've never had thinning issues. It could just be my hair though, not the big trims.

I have no idea if the sun was bleaching/damaging your hair. I lived in FL and went to the beach twice a week for hours and never "protected my hair" but my hair hasn't seen damage or breakage. Everyone's hair is different though, so maybe next time you go to the beach also use a UV protector in your ends + hat for your roots!

spidermom
November 30th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Length: Waist.

I think small trims on a regular basis will thicken your ends, but they don't look bad.

spaceagerock
November 30th, 2013, 08:53 AM
I also have ultra-fine hair and have been battling similar problems. Got told by a stylist I'd never get past BSL (if I even managed to get there in the first place) because my hair was so fine and now I'm at waist :disco:

What really helped me was the micro-trimming like others have already mentioned. It meant I could keep the lenght and slowly increase, but still keep the splits down to a minimum. Also, oil! EVOO, argan & coconut for me.

Helenae
November 30th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Waist length like mine :)
My hair has been stalled at waist-length for about a year & it's only recently starting growing - how odd! I genuinely have no idea what has changed in my diet/lifestyle apart from getting more sleep (I used to get 5-6 hours a night, now I get 8 hours + a night)… maybe that's why my hair is growing now.

Your ends look fine to me - look up close with a magnifying glass to see if they're damaged. If so, maybe a 1cm tiny trim?

anitacs9101
November 30th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Looks fine to me. :) Maybe a little uneven but really it just looks like mine would look if I didn't brush it for a while lol. :) It does not look thin.

Crumpet
November 30th, 2013, 11:17 AM
You have beautiful hair. I'm bad at length (I was a waist and I didn't realize it!), but I would say you just need a bit more moisture in your ends from what I can see. Maybe try a few different oils and see what works for you? Coconut is my favorite but olive oil, avocado oil, and others are popular here.

melesine
November 30th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Do your ends feel dry? If so you might want to do a deep conditioning or oil treatment before deciding to trim. I don't think you need a trim though. I agree with the other posters, waist length.

Elanadi
November 30th, 2013, 11:34 AM
I also have ultra-fine hair and have been battling similar problems. Got told by a stylist I'd never get past BSL (if I even managed to get there in the first place) because my hair was so fine and now I'm at waist :disco:

What really helped me was the micro-trimming like others have already mentioned. It meant I could keep the lenght and slowly increase, but still keep the splits down to a minimum. Also, oil! EVOO, argan & coconut for me.

I have the same ultra-fine hair and I'm just coming up on classic. I hate that people say it won't grow / don't grow it.

I think your ends look just fine! If you have damage, do s&d to prevent more breakage, but otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about the hemline unless it bugs you.

sarahthegemini
November 30th, 2013, 12:00 PM
I'm worried that you think those are thin ends tbh, they look fine .......

DweamGoiL
November 30th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Definitely waist and if you want to thicken up the ends, I think micro trims are the way to go. If you feel your length is dry, deep condition it weekly to get the hair a bit more pliable and moisturized.

pocketsmall
November 30th, 2013, 03:52 PM
I appreciate all the feedback! I'm glad I am at waist now, I thought I was but I wasn't sure if I was being optimistic. I think sometimes I'm overly critical of my hair because it used to be such a disaster. I have come a long way thanks to LHC. I still struggle with finding the perfect protein vs moisture balance, but the dryness isn't half as bad last year.

I think I'll wait until after New Year's for a microtrim. I have no splits so I don't see the harm. I am beginning to research how to self-trim. Hopefully my breakage will slow down.

AspenSong
November 30th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Waist!!

And I personally think your ends look fine, I'd say you could wait on a trim - but ultimately only you know how they feel and what will make You feel better about it's condition. :)

Ambystoma
December 1st, 2013, 01:45 AM
Hey there, fellow member of the "unintentional ombre" club :laugh:. Congrats on waist, I'm glad you're not cutting since it really doesn't seem like it needs it. Your ends look fine, but as we both know, sunbleached hair is a little more delicate so even though it sounds like you're taking awesome care of it, you might not be happy with the condition of your ends until after a few trims.

biogirl87
December 1st, 2013, 02:21 AM
pocketsmall, this may not be what you want to hear, but I think it would only be fair for me to give my opinion.

I also have fine hair and to be honest with you, if I was in your situation I would trim back quite a bit (probably to somewhere between APL and BSL). I know that you may not be able to stand losing that much length and my opinion may be what it is because I really like blunt hemline on hair in general and like seeing volume in my hair, so I may be a little biased but this is what I think. Feel free to do what you want though.

bunzfan
December 1st, 2013, 07:57 AM
pocketsmall, this may not be what you want to hear, but I think it would only be fair for me to give my opinion.

I also have fine hair and to be honest with you, if I was in your situation I would trim back quite a bit (probably to somewhere between APL and BSL). I know that you may not be able to stand losing that much length and my opinion may be what it is because I really like blunt hemline on hair in general and like seeing volume in my hair, so I may be a little biased but this is what I think. Feel free to do what you want though.

Why would the op need to go that short?? even if she cut to BSL her hair would look mega thick but that can also be achieved with micro trimming i know because i've done it for a year i basically maintained at waist.

lapushka
December 1st, 2013, 08:14 AM
I think, just by looking at it, that your texture might actually be more wavy than you think. I'd try going curly girl, see what that does for you, and put those ideas of trimming to the side for now.

Lostsoule77
December 1st, 2013, 09:30 AM
It doesn't look like you need a trim to me either. Just enjoy hitting waist and baby your ends. Then microtrim as you need. :)

spidermom
December 1st, 2013, 09:41 AM
Oh, forgot to mention before: I think your hair needs more moisture. There are a couple of really good over-the-counter deep treatments. My hair gets very glossy and feels strong with pre-wash coconut oil treatments to length only, removed by a 5- to 10-minute conditioner soak after washing the scalp with diluted shampoo. I also agree that your hair might be wavy or even a bit curly. Your picture looks like combed or brushed out waves to me.

pocketsmall
December 1st, 2013, 01:11 PM
My hair is pretty wavy, this picture was taken after kind of "wrapping" it, I wanted to see what my "straight" length is. Today is wash day, I'm planning to do a deep treatment. I'd love some suggestions. My hair does not seem to like cones very much. I wish I could do curly girl method but I tried CO awhile ago and it made me shed like crazy.

Ambystoma - Unintentionally ombre is definitely an accurate way to describe my hair!

biogirl87 - Your response is more of what I was expecting to be honest, If my breakage continues to thin my ends into the new year, I will probably cut to above BSL.

heidi w.
December 1st, 2013, 02:27 PM
Your length is mid-back or waist length. It's very obvious that the ends are thin, as mine were. This happens in growing and it's normal.

You've cut enough. Cutting is OVER. Forget the thought. Just add oiling the length only to your routine.
heidi w.

emilylightning
December 1st, 2013, 03:32 PM
Unless you're tilting your head back, your hair is exactly waist. I don't think you need to cut it, just baby the ends and microtrim. Wear it up and forget about it, it still looks pretty lovely.

swearnsue
December 1st, 2013, 06:25 PM
I would suggest that you add a humidifier to your home. I noticed that you live in New England, I used to live there and with the heat on 24/7 the air gets soooo dry!

Also a mister bottle with a drop of oil in it to keep the static down too.

Don't cut your hair to BSL!!! No need to.

LauraLongLocks
December 1st, 2013, 06:29 PM
Your hair is waist length, and your ends look fine to me. If you want to maintain at that length for a while, until your hemline thickens up, that would be fine, but I see no need to chop any more length at this point.

biogirl87
December 1st, 2013, 10:40 PM
Why would the op need to go that short?? even if she cut to BSL her hair would look mega thick but that can also be achieved with micro trimming i know because i've done it for a year i basically maintained at waist.buzfan, I was just stating my opinion. In the last picture pocketsmall posted, I can see hair thinning at BSL and can see hair thinning even a little below APL. After my hair became thinner about a year and a half ago after being a lot thicker in my teenage years, thin ends really tend to bother me. I was just saying that if I was in pocketsmall's shoes/position, that is what I would do as thin hairs really bother me (plus once my hair got below BSL, it was starting to become dominating part of my life and just slightly annoying to take care of in general and I had it cut to an inch above shoulder length, so my experience with my hair when it was below BSL may be influencing my opinion here). While it is nice to have long healthy hair, I think hair should not be dominating anyone's life and when it gets to that point is when it time for a cut in my honest opinion.

joflakes
December 2nd, 2013, 12:32 PM
Looks like waist length to me and I think with a few smaller trims you'll be fine, but I don't see anything wrong with the ends, they look good to me!