PDA

View Full Version : "Squiggly"/wave damage

spaceagerock
November 30th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Hello everyone!

So, I've got some weird damage in my hair and I'm desperately trying to figure out the cause (did a seach and couldn't find a previous thread about it, but might have typed the worng keyword).

These past 9 months or so I've noticed that some of my ends are "squiggly" or have a weird wave to them. It almost looks like the strands have been pulled too hard when wet and have been damaged that way (like when you're curling ribbon with scissors). Problem is, I haven't been doing anything like that with my hair for at least four years and this is the first time I've ever seen this kind of damage on my hair so I doubt that is the actual cause.

Two years ago I did also come of some stong medication and I doubt all of that has grown out (I'm at waist), but most of it seemed to come out last year so I don't know if this might still be an effect or what... :confused:

I'd be really greatful for your thoughts on this so I can avoid it in the future - it makes my braids look terrible (the squiggles tend to poke out after a while!).

V

sourgrl
November 30th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Do you damp bun? My hair will take on any encouraged shape, especially when drying in that shape. Sometimes my ends get like what you're describing when my ends are not tucked right into my damp bun.

lapushka
November 30th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Curved ends are not damage. It's just the way your hair is, sometimes. When you wash, they will curve another way, and so on. Nothing to worry about... unless there's a white dot or split end.

spaceagerock
November 30th, 2013, 08:27 AM
I generally don't damp bun, so don't think it's that. Although when I do, I've noticed the end thing even more!

And it's definatly damage in my case. Some of the very "squiggly" strads taper off and the shape is completely different to my general texture.

Ani Ta
November 30th, 2013, 08:40 AM
I have sometimes similar ends and as far as I detected by now it comes from putting them in the bun. Sometimes I do it gentler sometimes less gentle. They do not "behave" the same everytime, so sometimes they come out wrinkled, sometimes normal. It helps when I put some oil on them and the next morning or at latest the next evening they're fine again.

spidermom
November 30th, 2013, 08:42 AM
My stylist told me this is a sign of disrupted cuticle, and that is where hair will eventually split or break off. Sometimes it's natural and sometimes it's damage. I've noticed the creation of same when I separate out strands for braiding or S&Ding. There's a Velcro-like sound, then one or more hairs will do what you describe.

spaceagerock
November 30th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Spidermom, I think you're right - I just have no idea how it's happened in my case. Might it still be an affect of the medication?