PDA

View Full Version : Another George Michael salon visit!

thirstylocks
November 29th, 2013, 11:09 PM
Hey all. In case any of you are familiar with my hair story, you know how dry and damaged my hair has been lately. I finally decided to treat myself at the long hair heaven in nyc today and wanted to share my experience.

Ruby did my hair and she was so sweet. We talked about my hair care routine and then she cut my hair dry. She cut off 2 inches - like we agreed - and then twisted my hair to get rid of any split ends. I also did the treatment and got my hair set in rollers. It looks really shiny and feels smooth! She also did a great job of evening out my hemline. She didn't pressure me to do anything I felt uncomfortable doing, didn't push products, and was fairly gentle with my hair. The only thing I would have liked more of is getting rid of the splits - I definitely had a lot of them to begin with, and it would have been nice to get rid of some more. The trim was certainly expensive enough to have warranted a bit more time. But I can get to the rest of the splits with s&ding!

She agreed with me when I told her that my hair was unnaturally dry for how well I take care of it, and agreed that a lot of the damage could well be from the sun. She was surprised to see how far up my hair shaft my split ends had traveled :( She suggested I have my thyroid and my antibodies checked (not sure what this means but will ask my doc) and she also said I should ask my obgyn about something called polycystic ovarian syndrome. I have to admit, I did get a little concerned about this. I'm simultaneously relieved at not being crazy - my hair really IS weirdly dry - and also a little disappointed at how noticeably dry it is. I was half-hoping it was all in my head, half-looking for validation that it wasn't.

Here's a photo of my hair after the treatment. It looks kind of like a wig for some reason!
http://i42.tinypic.com/2s76nmb.jpg

leslissocool
November 29th, 2013, 11:12 PM
Woah it looks so pretty! Love the result!

AnqeIicDemise
November 29th, 2013, 11:13 PM
If your thyroid is slow, you are pone to dryness. It really does show up on skin, hair and nails. I have to stay uo on it as the moment I don't, I become crocodile girl. Lol

Paulini
November 30th, 2013, 12:56 AM
Your hair looks beautiful, not dry at all :)

HintOfMint
November 30th, 2013, 01:39 AM
Pretty! Sounds like you had a great experience! I'm sorry to hear about your dryness issue, but hopefully you'll get that sorted out soon.

bunzfan
November 30th, 2013, 05:31 AM
Wow looks gorgeous what a fantastic cut :thumbsup:

allycat
November 30th, 2013, 05:39 AM
Wow, beautiful and shiny!

jacqueline101
November 30th, 2013, 05:44 AM
I'm glad your visit was positive. Your hair looks great so shiny and healthy.

heartgoesboom
November 30th, 2013, 06:45 AM
your hair is beautiful! i wanna go to that salon one day!

Hey all. In case any of you are familiar with my hair story, you know how dry and damaged my hair has been lately. I finally decided to treat myself at the long hair heaven in nyc today and wanted to share my experience.

Ruby did my hair and she was so sweet. We talked about my hair care routine and then she cut my hair dry. She cut off 2 inches - like we agreed - and then twisted my hair to get rid of any split ends. I also did the treatment and got my hair set in rollers. It looks really shiny and feels smooth! She also did a great job of evening out my hemline. She didn't pressure me to do anything I felt uncomfortable doing, didn't push products, and was fairly gentle with my hair. The only thing I would have liked more of is getting rid of the splits - I definitely had a lot of them to begin with, and it would have been nice to get rid of some more. The trim was certainly expensive enough to have warranted a bit more time. But I can get to the rest of the splits with s&ding!

She agreed with me when I told her that my hair was unnaturally dry for how well I take care of it, and agreed that a lot of the damage could well be from the sun. She was surprised to see how far up my hair shaft my split ends had traveled :( She suggested I have my thyroid and my antibodies checked (not sure what this means but will ask my doc) and she also said I should ask my obgyn about something called polycystic ovarian syndrome. I have to admit, I did get a little concerned about this. I'm simultaneously relieved at not being crazy - my hair really IS weirdly dry - and also a little disappointed at how noticeably dry it is. I was half-hoping it was all in my head, half-looking for validation that it wasn't.

Here's a photo of my hair after the treatment. It looks kind of like a wig for some reason!
http://i42.tinypic.com/2s76nmb.jpg

heartgoesboom
November 30th, 2013, 06:57 AM
If your thyroid is slow, you are pone to dryness. It really does show up on skin, hair and nails. I have to stay uo on it as the moment I don't, I become crocodile girl. Lol

does your mouth get really dry too? my doc suspects i'm hypo so i dunno if the symptoms are in my head. but recently my mouth has been so dry but i'm more hydrated nowadays, lol.

Pamala513
November 30th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Your hair looks beautiful! Hair loss is a major symptom of hypo thyroid. I have hypo thyroid and that has always been the first symptom. If you don't have hair loss, I would be suprised if your thyroid is low.

Madora
November 30th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Thanks for sharing your Madora Long Hair Heaven experience, thirstylocks! Your hair looks fabulous! There's nothing like the GM experience!

spidermom
November 30th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Gorgeous result; glad you enjoyed your experience.

queenieheather
November 30th, 2013, 09:06 AM
I think your hair looks very pretty! I have a thyroid problem too, but luckily I haven't had the extent of hair problems others with thyroid problems have had. Talking to your doctor may or may not help. Most doctors are HORRIBLE at diagnosing and treating hypothyroidism, especially if you have antithyroid antibodies! I have dealt with this for more than 10 years, firing doctors along the way. If you are going to get your levels checked, please read www.stopthethyroidmadness.com beforehand! Feel free to ask me any questions also, tho I don't think you can private message me until I get more posts in (I lurk a lot).

windyballoons
November 30th, 2013, 10:55 AM
It looks like a wig because it's so perfect, smooth, shiny and beautiful! Looks like shampoo-commercial hair!

embee
November 30th, 2013, 11:15 AM
That hair is just lovely! I want to reach out and stroke it. :)

Hope you can find whatever causes the dryness, I have that but I'm hypothyroid and old, two dryness-makers.

Crumpet
November 30th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Beautiful! If you don't mind my asking, how expensive is it? I'd love to go sometime as a special treat!

Vanilla
November 30th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Gorgeous! I'm glad you had a great salon visit.

DweamGoiL
November 30th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Glad you enjoyed your experience. It truly is a special treat :)

And I agree with how perfect your hair looks. It really does make you want to reach out and touch it. Let me ask since it's just good to dismiss the obvious; how are you about staying hydrated? How many glasses of clear water do you drink a day? With a lot of the 'possible' suspects for your hair dryness there are usually other symptoms like substantial weight gain or hair loss and since you don't have any of those just thought I'd ask.

woodswanderer
November 30th, 2013, 12:14 PM
I don't understand what you mean that the stylist twisted your hair to get rid of split ends. Is that some technique to make the splits rise to the surface for easier s & d or something?

Madora
November 30th, 2013, 01:06 PM
I don't understand what you mean that the stylist twisted your hair to get rid of split ends. Is that some technique to make the splits rise to the surface for easier s & d or something?

The stylist takes very small sections of hair and gently twists them all the way to the end. Then, holding the twisted section at an angle, she snips off any damage/split ends that pops up. This method removes the damage w/o removing length.

dreamingstar
November 30th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Very beautiful result! I hope you're able to get the dryness issue sorted out, and that it isn't something serious. Where are/is George Michael's salon(s)?

Madora
November 30th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Very beautiful result! I hope you're able to get the dryness issue sorted out, and that it isn't something serious. Where are/is George Michael's salon(s)?

The main salon is located in Manhattan and is now known as Madora Long Hair Heaven (48th and Madison).

There is also one in Beverly Hills, CA and one in Ohio (Enchantress).

thirstylocks
November 30th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Thank you all for the really sweet comments! It feels good to have hair that looks like hair for a change! Hopefully it will last for a few more days.

To those who asked about the thyroid issue - I don't have dry skin but I have some of the other symptoms - I've been fatigued, a little depressed honestly, less active/interested in my hobbies, etc etc but most worrisome is pretty rapid weight gain in a small period of time when I don't think I was eating particularly more than usual, and also very irregular, short 1 day periods (sorry tmi). I'll have to check it out, but last time I had it checked it was normal, so idk if something like that could change.

The reason she brought up hormones was because I have something funky going on in my hair line -hard to explain in words, but there are a ton of baby hairs and no real long hairs in the beginning of my hairline, its crooked and sparse. Also, I'm beginning to get what looks like sideburns.

I'm really glad she pointed this stuff out. It is kind of pathetic that I haven't been to get a check up in a while, and the only reason I'm getting one now is because I'm more worried about my hair than my health.

dreamingstar
November 30th, 2013, 06:26 PM
The main salon is located in Manhattan and is now known as Madora Long Hair Heaven (48th and Madison).

There is also one in Beverly Hills, CA and one in Ohio (Enchantress).

Thank you! I'll check it out.

dreamingstar
November 30th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Thank you all for the really sweet comments! It feels good to have hair that looks like hair for a change! Hopefully it will last for a few more days.

To those who asked about the thyroid issue - I don't have dry skin but I have some of the other symptoms - I've been fatigued, a little depressed honestly, less active/interested in my hobbies, etc etc but most worrisome is pretty rapid weight gain in a small period of time when I don't think I was eating particularly more than usual, and also very irregular, short 1 day periods (sorry tmi). I'll have to check it out, but last time I had it checked it was normal, so idk if something like that could change.

The reason she brought up hormones was because I have something funky going on in my hair line -hard to explain in words, but there are a ton of baby hairs and no real long hairs in the beginning of my hairline, its crooked and sparse. Also, I'm beginning to get what looks like sideburns.

I'm really glad she pointed this stuff out. It is kind of pathetic that I haven't been to get a check up in a while, and the only reason I'm getting one now is because I'm more worried about my hair than my health.

It's not pathetic - life happens. Your hair is something you're constantly looking at everyday in the mirror. It makes sense that you'd be worried about that. As for the other symptoms, I've heard of those in healthy people who had minor hormone issues, but nothing too bad. I'm happy for you that you're getting your health checked on, and I hope and pray for you that it isn't bad, or is at least easily treatable.

AnqeIicDemise
November 30th, 2013, 06:33 PM
I wake up with my mouth so dry that spit and phlegm have dried up into a crust. TMI, I know, and really gross, but that happens.

I hate drinking water, but I'm trying. Sometimes I'm so dehydrated it tastes like the best thing on earth. Sadly, that's not too often. lol

AnqeIicDemise
November 30th, 2013, 06:38 PM

Pish, if it wasn't for my hair, I would not have gotten myself checked out too. I ballooned about one hundred pounds in a twelve month period. I got depressed. I hid in my bedroom and slept a lot, didn't want to talk to people and eventually started with the dry skin symptoms. I was even falling asleep in mid conversation, a terrible thing to do when you work in a call center. It wasn't until I was loosing chunks of hair that I finally got around to a doctor. That had been like, what, three years since the onset of symptoms? I even lost pigment on some parts of my body due to iodine deficiency.

I've been medicated for a little over a year now. Hair's doing fantastic, weight has leveled out to the point that I can actually start doing something about it now and I have more energy than before.

If it isn't your thyroid, they may find another reason for the fatigue and that's better than nothing. I didn't realize how tired I was and how miserable I felt until I started feeling better.

Panth
December 1st, 2013, 06:31 AM
Tiredness, depression, period problems and hair loss could also point towards anaemia, either due to insufficient iron or perhaps due to insufficient vitamin B12 or other reasons. Perhaps it would be a good idea to get your doctor to check your blood vitamin and mineral levels in addition to your thyroid hormone levels and your reproductive hormone (oestrogen, progesterone) levels.

MaryO
December 1st, 2013, 10:46 AM
Oh my word, your hair looks lovely! Definitely to a picture for me to aspire to!:-)

Annibelle
December 1st, 2013, 02:56 PM
Wow! Your hair looks so bouncy and healthy! :)

thirstylocks
December 2nd, 2013, 06:31 PM
Thanks!

And yes, I will definitely get everything tested and make sure nothing is out of order!! I drink about 1,5 liters of water per day, which isn't a lot really but not a little either. I will try to drink more. I'm also trying to wash my hair less because it really doesnt get oily at all - actually, the opposite happens strangely. I have to wash by the third day or my ends get REALLY dry even though my scalp remains normal.

@angelic- I'm really glad to hear that after you started medication you saw so many changes!! Makes me hopeful that even if something is up with me, its better to accept it and get it treated rather than let it be!

LauraLongLocks
December 2nd, 2013, 06:46 PM
Your hair is lovely! So glad you had a good experience. I hope you can figure out the cause of the dryness and get it remedied. Crossing my fingers that you don't have PCOS.