PDA

View Full Version : Is this a shampoo or soap filled body wash?

glitterbug
November 29th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Hi!

I am looking for a new organic sulphate free shampoo, I came across this one below, but I'm skeptical as it says 'coconut and corn sugar soap' its not saponified, maybe its too good and organic to be true without being harsh on the hair, not sure. What do you think?

The Ingredients list is: Water, aloe vera *, cane sugar * ** (29%), coconut and corn sugar soap, vegetable glycerin, Citric Acid, essential Lavender * and eucalyptus oil *. Nothing else. * = Organic farming. ** = Fairtrade certified.

Thanks!

Hootenanny
November 29th, 2013, 12:42 PM
I can't really answer your question, but I always thought that if something is soap it must be saponified. Saponification is how soap is made, afaik. If the bottle says it is "non-saponified soap", I would be skeptical as well. :confused:

Sillage
November 29th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Why would they have to specify that the soap is saponified? It looks like a weird mixture of dilute soap and sugar... I wouldn't use it on my hair personally.

glitterbug
November 29th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Anyone else?

starlamelissa
November 29th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Try it? Ten characters

KittyBird
November 30th, 2013, 01:43 AM
I agree with Sillage, it looks like it's simply soap diluted with sugar (??) and some other unnecessary things. The ingredients state "coconut and corn sugar soap". There's your soap. I don't think they have to state that it has been saponified.

To be completely honest, this looks like something you could easily whip together yourself. Liquify a shampoo bar with warm water, add glycerin and whatever other things you like, and voila, sulfate free shampoo. There are people in the Shampoo Bar thread who have done that, and you could probably find recipes if you google it. :)

SleepyTangles
November 30th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Maybe its referring to sugar cane and coconut derived tensioactifs :confused:?
Its a shame the brand wrote such a confused label, you can't ever understand if its talking about sodium cocoate (traditional soap derived from coconut oil), sodium coco sulphate (sulphate from coconut), or coco glucoside (mild tensioactif).
I agree with starlamelissa: if the price is not crazy, the only way to know is give it a try.