PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about protein

LauraLongLocks
November 29th, 2013, 10:19 AM
I've never used a protein treatment. What benefit could it give me? What specific product would you recommend to me?

What are some possible negative effects?

Magalo
November 29th, 2013, 10:36 AM
The key to great hair is strength+flexibility. Protein gives strength, moisture gives flexibility. If you have too much moisture, your hair will feel mushy and weak and if you have too much protein, it will feel very dry and brittle. Protein is great if you have chemicals/heat damaged hair as it fills in the "holes" made by heat and chemicals. You have to find the perfect balance. :) Do the "single strand test" (google it!) to know if you need protein (or if you have too much) before doing a treatment!

leslissocool
November 29th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Protein is beneficial for damaged hair in my experience. If you dye a lot, use bleach or heat styling. If your hair is vigin or you use henna on birgin hair, your hair tends to dislike protein.

I used kerating treatments when I had horrible bleach damage which allowed me to grow. But now that my hair is healthy it seems my hair isn't a big fan of it.

Madora
November 29th, 2013, 12:51 PM
I think your hair would benefit more from protein in your diet..in particular meat. Of course if you don't eat meat (for whatever reasons), that's another story.

bunzfan
November 29th, 2013, 01:14 PM
I have a bit of damage in the last two inches of my hair and I've been using a keratin protein conditioner on those areas and I'm noticing a lot less splits hopefully soon I can cut that out I do have to oil daily the healthy hair certainly doesn't need it so you maybe ok your hair looks pretty healthy.

Johannah
November 29th, 2013, 01:20 PM
When I straightened my hair etc. I needed protein a lot. Almost only protein instead of moisture. Now I quit straightening, my hair can't handle protein anymore.

What I used (and what worked AMAZING) was organic root stimulator hair mayonnaise. The. Greatest. Ever. I found it in some afro-shops in the big city's. Sometimes they do have it in drugstores, not sure what's the story in America (I live in Europe).

LauraLongLocks
November 29th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Well, if I did the strand test right, I guess my balance is pretty good right now. So, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing for now. My hair is virgin, but I have been using my blow dryer (on cool/low) and Madora's fanning technique together to dry my hair after every CO wash, and I tend to CO wash every day or every other day to keep my head from becoming a grease ball. I don't get my hair entirely dry with the blow dryer, just most of the way, and then I sit for a while and fan my strands some more before putting it up. In the summer I probably won't need to use the blow dryer anymore, but I can't stand a wet head, or loose hair for several hours, and still manage my life (young children, livestock), so the blow dryer it is.