PDA

View Full Version : The Urge to Cut

lapushka
November 29th, 2013, 07:50 AM
I have these days when the urge to have my hair cut back to a shorter length is almost insurmountable. Do you have days like these? Please share!

I seem to get the urge when it's almost the end of the week (Friday, Saturday), when my hair is just about at its oiliest, and that urge quickly goes away Sunday, on washday. And then the whole cycle starts all over again. Sometimes I don't get the urge to put scissors in my hair - at all, but sometimes I just do.

Is this part of your routine?

VictorianDoll
November 29th, 2013, 08:05 AM
No, I don't but that could be because I've had long hair all my life. Sometimes I think about dying it and then I say to myself to see if I want it in a weeks time. . . I've never dyed my hair.

spidermom
November 29th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Not since I actually got the haircut that had been haunting me for the past year or two. Now I'm content.

RedNymph
November 29th, 2013, 08:50 AM
That's me every time I see a pretty haircut in a movie or on telly. Sometimes I want Rapunzel hair, other times I want her short haircut.

Scarlet_Heart
November 29th, 2013, 08:56 AM
When I start shedding a lot, I tend to say to myself, "Oh no! It's going to look thin and horrible. That's it! I'm just cutting it short! GAH!" :justy:

But then (usually) a cooler head prevails. I did recently cut layers back into my hair after taking a long time to grow them out. Oh well, I think it just looks better on me that way.

chen bao jun
November 29th, 2013, 09:33 AM
I got it once-- because a hairdresser had given me essentially a mullet (they used to call it a shag), and also I was just married and felt the urge to look really different. I don't know why.
I did it.
I hated it.
Never got that urge since--in fact now I have a problem trimming and try to S & d instead.

Flor
November 29th, 2013, 09:53 AM
When I start shedding a lot, I tend to say to myself, "Oh no! It's going to look thin and horrible. That's it! I'm just cutting it short! GAH!" :justy:

That's me as well :D

Vampyria
November 29th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Pretty much. I constantly cut my hair back to collarbone length or just do smaller trims for no special reason. Well, I'm never really happy with how my hair looks actually, it always looks kind of tapered IMO. Sometimes it's that, or something stressful that happened, someone talking about a haircut, shedding... It can happen around once or twice a month, so lately I manage to go maximum 2 months without a trim.

I'm pretty impulsive when it comes to my hair, so I usually just cut it when I get the urge. Sometimes I manage to postpone it and cut a week later. It helps not to trim the length when I have to trim my face-framing layers and bangs.

Addy
November 29th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Have you thought about adding another wash day to get rid of that urge since it goes away on a washday?

faellen
November 29th, 2013, 10:25 AM
I definitely get the urge to cut, and also the urge to dye. It usually happens when someone I know gets a nice haircut or colour and it totally transforms them. Because I wear my hair up most of the time, it can make me feel a bit "matronly" and older than I really am. I often get the urge to cut a fringe in to soften up my features a bit, but then I remember the upkeep and it puts me off again!

leslissocool
November 29th, 2013, 11:42 AM
I trim an inch or two when that happens. But then again, I'm trim happy....

bunnylake
November 29th, 2013, 01:01 PM
I just gave into my hair cutting urge and I am so happy I finally did it. It was haunting me for months. I'd go back and forth between resisting hacking it all off myself in the bathroom, and then being so glad I didn't give in and loving it long. This became so frequent that I figured it must be a sign that it's time for me to cut it short.
Now It's shoulder length and I am desperate to make it shorter, hah!
If I were you I would take note of all the days you feel the urge. If it's really as often as you say, maybe it's time for a haircut. We can still be into hair even if ours is short! xo

lapushka
November 29th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Have you thought about adding another wash day to get rid of that urge since it goes away on a washday?

Good tip! Thanks. :) But more washes is not an option at the moment.

lapushka
November 29th, 2013, 01:19 PM
I trim an inch or two when that happens. But then again, I'm trim happy....

A trim might not be a bad idea. Got the urge more and more ever since I started getting halfway close to hip again. Waist seems to be an ideal length for me, somehow.

HintOfMint
November 29th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Perhaps not as cyclical as the OP, but I'll get the urge with the perfect storm of feeling extremely confident in my looks to the point of irrational cockiness, rebelliousness, and seeing a chic short haircut on someone like Audrey Hepburn.

I know that short hair is far from my best looks, so the urge often passes. But in that moment, I'm all, "dammit I can MAKE it work! I TOTALLY have the bone structure for it!" Yeah... no.

durgidog
November 29th, 2013, 01:46 PM
I know that short hair is far from my best looks, so the urge often passes. But in that moment, I'm all, "dammit I can MAKE it work! I TOTALLY have the bone structure for it!" Yeah... no.

HAHAHA! Yeah, that's me. And then I snap out of it.

Of the Fae
November 29th, 2013, 04:03 PM
That's me and I actually fell for it when it kept going for a few weeks... regret :(
Ignore the want!

Mainesongbird
November 29th, 2013, 04:15 PM
I get that sometimes. Sometimes I wish you could cut your hair and have it back long the next day, seems to me it would feel good to make a change, but I don't want to keep it that way!

Lilybeany
November 29th, 2013, 04:16 PM
:rolleyes: I called mine the surge..lol not urge..as in pms hormone surge.Every bloo...y month I wanted to cut of something ans I did..but now Im gettin into menopause Its not as bad..even if I had a surge or whatever Im to foggy to bother or hotfushed to care.The menopause is helping grow longer hair in a funny way aa my pms moods arent makin me do erratic hair cuts..if I didnt get pms in past so bad Id be knees by now! .

Tini'sNewHair
November 29th, 2013, 04:22 PM
I have learned that shorter haircuts just dosnt suit me AT ALL. I actually took photos when my hair was shorter so i can go back to look at them everytime a thought crossed my mind to go shorter... and it works haha :) I dont ever want to use heat again so i cant go back there (extreme heat was the only way to tame my horrible ends which always flipped in all directions)...

So deffinatly do a trim and even take a few lengths shots (when your hair looks the best to you) and look back on them each time you feel like cutting... that also helps me :)

Lyv
November 30th, 2013, 06:54 AM
I get the urge to cut all the time! I really like the way short hair looks on me and I'm trying to grown out bleach/dye/henna so I've almost convinced myself to chop so I don't have to wait so long for the color to grow out, or when my layers stick out of braids/buns I'm ready to chop. Then I'll see it down and how long it's getting and the urge goes away.

spaceagerock
November 30th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Scarlet_Heart: What the up-do in your signature? I love it!

Kikina
November 30th, 2013, 10:09 AM
It's the same as wanting to push someone if you're both somewhere very high. Sometimes while I S&D, I think about how easy it would be to chop that lock of hair I'm holding...
shudder:

Crumpet
November 30th, 2013, 10:39 AM
It's the same as wanting to push someone if you're both somewhere very high. Sometimes while I S&D, I think about how easy it would be to chop that lock of hair I'm holding...
shudder:

Ooh, yes! I think I get the urge to cut because I know how traumatic it would be for me...shivers!

But everyone is different. See where you fall on the spectrum. A small trim wouldn't do much harm (and might be good for your ends!) and you can see if you prefer it shorter than it is. As someone else mentioned on this thread: you can still love your hair even when its not super long!

YamaMaya
November 30th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Trimming is my worst vice...and the source of my slow progress with growing. It doesn't help that I'm trying to grow out layers. I've restricted myself to once a month, and trying to stretch the trims further because I really REALLY want to get to classic.

lapushka
December 1st, 2013, 08:05 AM
I had my hair cut back to waist today. 2 inches off, which I had gained since the last snip in August or thereabouts. It feels so much lighter, and the waves immediately sprang back to life - what 2 inches off can do! My gosh! I'm happy with it, and I am probably not going to get the "Urge to Cut" anytime soon. I think waist is "my" length. The length I feel good at.

Komao
December 1st, 2013, 08:17 AM
That's great lapushka, I'm glad you're happy with it. I seem to be losing some of my waves as it's approaching hip length. I'm hoping for tbl at least, never been that long but I guess you only find out what length is best for you as you grow it. :o

sourgrl
December 1st, 2013, 10:57 AM
My urge to cut comes from finding shed hairs everywhere. It drives me nuts to find my hair on the floor, the couch, the car, the kitchen... ugh. I'm trying to wear it up more at home to avoid it getting everywhere.

Glad you found your happy place with your length, Lapushka.