PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of straw like ends

Aingeal
November 28th, 2013, 08:18 PM
The last three inches of my hair has been super straw like and crunchy the past few days. It feels and even looks different from the rest of my hair. Now I haven't shampooed in a while, so I'm thinking I need a shampoo. I have a sulfate free poo, but I need sulfates to clarify, right?

So I'm thinking I need a good poo and vinegar rinse? I have no clue about how to use the vinegar though.

Help! My ends are gross.

Crumpet
November 28th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Maybe try clarifying with a *tiny* bit of baking soda in your shampoo, followed by a good conditioning (maybe an SMT without honey but oil instead?) and then a vinegar rinse. I use white vinegar since I'm blonde, but dark-hairs like ACV. You just need a little bit in a water bottle or old shampoo bottle (1 inch or so). Fill the rest of the bottle with water and then dump it over your ends and hair. Let it sit for a while and then rinse (or not). My hair loves this!

hanne jensen
November 29th, 2013, 03:52 AM
Do you have hard water? What I do once a month is mix 1 part clarifying poo with 2 parts ACV and 1 part water. Wash my hair and leave the poo on my head for 7-10 minutes. This is to dissolve mineral and or product buildup. Rinse very well and use a good moisturizing conditioner.

MaryO
November 29th, 2013, 04:11 AM
Cool, I also needed this advice for my ends! ;-) I forget about the water- I actually know we have hard water...

Aingeal
November 29th, 2013, 04:52 AM
Oh y gosh we have very hard water! I didn't even think about that.

Zebra Fish
November 29th, 2013, 04:57 AM
I have also a sulphate free shampoo for regular use, but a "declared" clarifying shampoo (with SLES) for when I feel the need to clarify, so can't help you with that. As for vinegar rinse - I use/d 3/4 tbl spoon in 1/2 L water (distilled if you have). But you can find of people using stronger/milder solutions and getting good results, so I guess you try and see what works for you :) I stopped doing it regularly, and now do it every now and then only, because my scalp didnt like it, so I got a bit of flakes (never had dandruff problems, and that was the only change I made and disappeared when stopped). When I use it now, I pour it only over length, and avoid scalp (sometimes catch it in a bowl and repeat).

(Not sure if I was of any help :p )

bunzfan
November 29th, 2013, 05:40 AM
I also recommend clarifying i did it recently and my hair is different hair :D hadn't done it in months i also recommend evoo soaks if your hair is particularly dry like mine being a curly it probably is it softens more than coconut oil i leave it on overnight and co wash it out the next day soft happy hair, i'm now doing this twice a week.

jacqueline101
November 29th, 2013, 06:05 AM
I'd just buy or use a clarifying shampoo and conditioner. I use mine when my ends get tangly and feel different.

Aingeal
November 29th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Ok, so I clarified (using a sulfate poo as I couldn't find anything else) and the conditioned and did an acv rinse. Waiting for my hair to dry. I really hope it helps!

I also soaked in evoo and coconut oil overnight last night.

Fingers crossed!

bunzfan
November 29th, 2013, 06:42 AM
Ok, so I clarified (using a sulfate poo as I couldn't find anything else) and the conditioned and did an acv rinse. Waiting for my hair to dry. I really hope it helps!

Fingers crossed!

I'm sure it will be so much better EVOO makes my waves so silky and soft.

melusine963
November 29th, 2013, 01:11 PM

Fingers crossed!

If clarifying alone didn't work, you may have to use a chelating shampoo to shift the mineral build-up. Most clarifying shampoos are only designed to remove product build-up, so something more heavy-duty may be required. Good luck!

Liz_park
November 29th, 2013, 01:50 PM
If clarifying alone didn't work, you may have to use a chelating shampoo to shift the mineral build-up. Most clarifying shampoos are only designed to remove product build-up, so something more heavy-duty may be required. Good luck!

I agree with melusine, it sounds as though you have some mineral build-up or could use a bit more moisture rather than protein. I would recommend Joico Kpak Chelating shampoo...it's amazing. I would also do an SMT or two to add a bit of moisture into your hair!

Andeee
November 29th, 2013, 01:53 PM
I've got to ask (without searching first, sorry!) what is SMT? I've seen the initials loads of times now, but have no idea what they stand for. I also have some very dry ends....

HintOfMint
November 29th, 2013, 01:56 PM
I've got to ask (without searching first, sorry!) what is SMT? I've seen the initials loads of times now, but have no idea what they stand for. I also have some very dry ends....

It stands for Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment. It's a combination of conditioner, honey and aloe and there's a big thread in the recipes section of the forum.

Andeee
November 29th, 2013, 02:01 PM
It stands for Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment. It's a combination of conditioner, honey and aloe and there's a big thread in the recipes section of the forum.
OOOoo! Sounds perfect, thank you! I'm going to try it!

Aingeal
November 29th, 2013, 02:02 PM
My hair is much much better! I left in some conditioner after my shower and let it air dry, then did an s & d. I then went out with my hair in a half up and NO product. My hair was a bit frizzy, but not bad at all! I was really surprised. It's a bit dry now since I've had it down with no oil or product, so I'm going to put some evoo in it and put it up.

prettyinpink
November 29th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Nah, sulfates arent necessary for clarifying. If you wanna do a vinegar rinse just put a drop of vinegar like white, apple cider, or red wine into a big cup of water and pour it through. Try putting some deep conditioner and honey in a bowl in the microwave to heat it up and let it sit in your hair for a few hours. Good luck!

nobeltonya
November 29th, 2013, 03:16 PM
If after a good washing they are still like that, chances are it's damage and you may need to cut. I had to cut 6" b/c of that.. :/ Oiling also should help. But, if you do have to cut, at least it's only 3" and you will have healthy ends. :disco: