PDA

View Full Version : Daily Hair Washing?

Pamala513
November 28th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Being new here, please forgiveme if there is already a thread like this. I know many recommend washing as little as possible, but ifi don't wash daily, my head gets itchy and my hair greasy and frizzy looking. How do others handle those issues that stretch washing as long as
possible! My hair isbelow shoulder length and I wear it down during the day and braiding when I sleep. (sorry about the spelling issues, typing on my ipadand it's not letting me go back and correct)

lapushka
November 28th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Stretching your washes doesn't happen overnight. It's a long process. First you start going (possibly) a day longer, and you maintain that for quite a while. Then you try going a day more, and you maintain that for a while. Your scalp needs to get accustomed to washing less. This way you'll find out how many days you can really go without washing. Washing daily often isn't really necessary, so this way you'll find out how long your hair really needs to get oily.

Rio040113
November 28th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Being new here, please forgiveme if there is already a thread like this. I know many recommend washing as little as possible, but ifi don't wash daily, my head gets itchy and my hair greasy and frizzy looking. How do others handle those issues that stretch washing as long as
possible! My hair isbelow shoulder length and I wear it down during the day and braiding when I sleep. (sorry about the spelling issues, typing on my ipadand it's not letting me go back and correct)

SMPing (scritching, massaging and preening) can be useful as it helps clean your scalp and remove debris etc (without water/products) and helps distribute excess sebum down the hair shaft, as far as I know it's the key to NW/SO and I find it helps me go an extra day between co-washes :) Other things you can do - if your scalp/hair likes them a sulfate free shampoo will be less stripping so shouldn't encourage your scalp to overcompensate, diluting your shampoo helps too and I think some people (myself included) find co-washing eases things along as well. Above all, patience and time, stretching your washes sloooowly is usually important for most people and remember, it can take weeks/months for your scalp to adjust. Have you tried stretching by literally half a day at a time? :)

durgidog
November 28th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Whatever works for your hair and scalp is the best for you, lots of people with healthy heads shampoo every day. If you're concerned about stripping the oils from your length by washing every day you might try just washing your scalp on some days and while avoiding sampooing the length. Or you might try switching to a sulfate-free shampoo if you are not already using one.

Sillage
November 28th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Some people shampoo everyday :) If that's what works for you then keep it up. There was a period where I had to wash everyday because my hair was so greasy. It wasn't optimal for my hair, but we don't live in a perfect world :laugh:.

Pamala513
November 28th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I do use sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. I only wash my scalp and let the shampoo rinse down my hair as I rinse out. I only use conditioner from my ears down. I do skip washing on Saturdays, as that is house cleaning Nd grocery day, so I don't care how I look. I use Earthly Body shampoo, conditioner and hair leave in detangler, plus drop of Argan oil on my ends daily. I also air dry all it my bangs. Guess I'm ok the. Just needed reassuring that it wasn't totally wrong to shampoo on my work days. I also am a runner, and alternate that with weight lifting, so I get pretty sweaty every other day when I run.

MandyBeth
November 28th, 2013, 11:32 PM
I also am a daily washer, as is my curly minion. Her because she needs to resoak her hair as day two looks like she got an electric shock, just water typically slowly dries her hair out, but most important - she's a very active curly monkey, and the curls velcro everything to her hair and she loves playing with her pets - Marsh (her POA horse), the chickens and turkeys, the silly sheepies and her favorite little bucket calf who she votes to not turn into steaks - running around, getting into dirt so her hair is actually dirty.

Me - cat fine hair. Dry shampoo doesn't come out well and my hair goes nasty greasy in a day.

noludoru
November 28th, 2013, 11:45 PM
I wash on days I work as well - I at least wet it down all the way and re-style it. You can conditioner wash when you don't want to use shampoo but you want to start stretching washes.

WilfredAllen
November 28th, 2013, 11:54 PM
lol @ ipad typing :)

I had the same issues when adjusting to washing less. Skipping washes on weekends helps, as well as diluting shampoo. I like vinegar rinses (diluted 50:50) on my scalp for the itchiness and sores - it also helps with the grease a bit too. Water only washing techniques can help to in between washe s

ErinLeigh
November 29th, 2013, 12:20 AM
In a perfect world I would only wash 2 times week. But due to my hair looking crazy without being washed I end up washing every work day and any day off that I go out on the town.

I've recently started substituting half of my washes for co washes and I like it a lot.
I have even recently starting thinking of skipping one work night wash to see into giving my hair a break.

ExpectoPatronum
November 29th, 2013, 12:57 AM
Some people can stretch their washes for days or weeks, some can't. Some people can wash their hair every day and be perfectly fine, but some can't. It all depends on your own hair and scalp and there's nothing wrong with washing every day as long as your hair and scalp are happy.