PDA

View Full Version : practical question re: my sleep cap

sarahthegemini
November 28th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Basically I have been having a bit of a practical issue regarding my sleep cap. I tie it as tightly as possible without giving myself a headache, yet when I wake up throughout the night, the front part sort of slips. I try to secure the cap millimeters past my hair line, as my forehead can get quite oily so I try to keep my hair off it. Now, as you can imagine, b/c the cap slips, the hair near my forehead gets smooshed forward and ends up resting on my forehead, which means that those sections get greasier much faster. I have tried gripping the front sections back but that doesn't help as they come loose. I've now decided to wear a (fabric) headband to keep my hair from slipping forward but I'm a little worried this may eventually lead to traction alopecia?

Does anyone have any tips for stopping my hair from slipping forward/onto my forehead (other than the headband)? This is a dumb question I know but I'd appreciate some suggestions. TIA!

lapushka
November 28th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Pineapple it in your sleep cap with a soft scrunchie (tie it *loose*), or braid it, then but your sleep cap over the braid.

sarahthegemini
November 28th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Pineapple it in your sleep cap with a soft scrunchie (tie it *loose*), or braid it, then but your sleep cap over the braid.

I never had any luck with pineappling, I could give braiding a try though!

Sillage
November 28th, 2013, 05:47 PM
This is why I use a silk satin pillow case :laugh:

I'm glad Lapushka has good suggestions for you :)

sarahthegemini
November 28th, 2013, 06:09 PM
This is why I use a silk satin pillow case :laugh:

I'm glad Lapushka has good suggestions for you :)

I do have a silk pillow case (actually, it might be satin? I'm not sure but it's very slippy lol) but I don't 'feel' as protected w/o my cap on :laugh:

Sillage
November 28th, 2013, 06:23 PM
If it's slippy and silk it's almost certainly satin (sometimes people get confused because of charmeuse, but charmeuse has a satin side). The only other kind of silk pillows I normally see for sale are douponi ones and they have slubbs. Anyway with all this slick fabric around it's a wonder you're not sliding right out of bed! :laugh:

Naiadryade
November 28th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Do you wear your sleep cap over your ears, or tucked behind? If the former, try tucking it behind your ears and see if that makes a difference. Personally I prefer my sleep cap to slip forward a bit (makes me feel like my hairline is more protected), so I wear it over my ears because if I tuck it behind, it stays right around/on my hairline... so you may have success doing the opposite of what I'm doing to get the opposite effect!

Hope that helps.

sarahthegemini
November 30th, 2013, 11:07 AM
If it's slippy and silk it's almost certainly satin (sometimes people get confused because of charmeuse, but charmeuse has a satin side). The only other kind of silk pillows I normally see for sale are douponi ones and they have slubbs. Anyway with all this slick fabric around it's a wonder you're not sliding right out of bed! :laugh:

:laugh:

Do you wear your sleep cap over your ears, or tucked behind? If the former, try tucking it behind your ears and see if that makes a difference. Personally I prefer my sleep cap to slip forward a bit (makes me feel like my hairline is more protected), so I wear it over my ears because if I tuck it behind, it stays right around/on my hairline... so you may have success doing the opposite of what I'm doing to get the opposite effect!

Hope that helps.

I tuck it behind my ears, I'm glad you posted this though b/c I was contemplating wearing it over my ears to see if that helps but now I know that encourages it to slip forward!

I had success with the headband and I'm gunna try braiding tonight :cheese:

Panth
December 1st, 2013, 06:47 AM
I don't see how a fabric headband could cause traction alopecia - as far as I'm aware, the style has to be tight enough to really pull to risk causing that. I'd just wear the headband underneath to keep my hair off my forehead and then wear the cap further forwards.

sarahthegemini
December 1st, 2013, 10:22 AM
I don't see how a fabric headband could cause traction alopecia - as far as I'm aware, the style has to be tight enough to really pull to risk causing that. I'd just wear the headband underneath to keep my hair off my forehead and then wear the cap further forwards.

I thought it was a bit of a far-fetched idea but I just wanted to check.

woolyleprechaun
December 1st, 2013, 10:29 AM
I'm not sure if traction alopecia is far fetched... It depends. Personally, I get thinning spots from a lot of things; I have a tiny bit of traction alopecia in the middle of my hairline as that's where my 'bun anchor hair' originates ;)
I think tucking behind your ears makes sense. I never did manage to get my sleep cap to work- I ended up getting a silk pillowcase as my cap either slipped down (I have a low, broad forehead) or came off.