PDA

View Full Version : Scared to visit the hairdresser :(

BowTie
November 28th, 2013, 09:23 AM
The last time I visited was in August. Before August I visited in May. I know in some point I need trims but I'm afraid of both hairdressers and cutting myself. It seems hairdressers always cut more than I want to.. Like when I visited my hairdresser in August, she basucally cut all my growing so I was back in the beginning again. Maybe I should explain myself better to them.

I'm afraid to do it myself because I'm not very good with scissors lol

NoRush
November 28th, 2013, 09:30 AM
I feel your pain, I?m in the same pickle, I've just moved to a new country and I have no clue where to go to have a trim without getting my head taken off to XD

BowTie
November 28th, 2013, 09:46 AM
I feel your pain, I?m in the same pickle, I've just moved to a new country and I have no clue where to go to have a trim without getting my head taken off to XD

I'm actually moving to my home country next month.. I never visited the hairdressers here , I was too scared. I think I will wait for a few months before trimming so I get a bit more lenght.

AmberlynAsh
November 28th, 2013, 10:10 AM
If your hair isn't tooo dry on the ends, just do the seek & destroy method. I thought my hair was a goner recently (too much heavy styling & dying) but I've been SD&oiling like a mad women the last few days & it seems WAYYYYYYYYY better! :D

lapushka
November 28th, 2013, 10:12 AM
If there's no damage, no splits, no white dots (most of all those), then there is absolutely no reason to trim so much. May, August, and now... you can stretch those trimming periods by... a lot. There are people who don't trim for years on here, or who trim mostly once to twice a year. If your hair is short especially, there is *no* reason to trim.

BowTie
November 28th, 2013, 10:26 AM
If there's no damage, no splits, no white dots (most of all those), then there is absolutely no reason to trim so much. May, August, and now... you can stretch those trimming periods by... a lot. There are people who don't trim for years on here, or who trim mostly once to twice a year. If your hair is short especially, there is *no* reason to trim.

I don't have damage, split ends or white dots. I've been babying my hair very well. It all started when I spoke with my mum (she hasn't seen me since August) and she was insisting I need a trim. I tried to tell her that my hair was in a much better condition than it was last year. She has always had short hair and not having trims is probably the worst thing for her lol. I'm not going to trim as it has never looked better and grows so fast

chen bao jun
November 28th, 2013, 10:44 AM
If you are growing and don't see damage, there is no reason on earth to trim. Just S & D.
On the other hand, if you stop seeing growth, especially as someone with fine hair, sometimes you need a dusting.
WE used to trim only once a year in my family (on St. John Baptist Day, don't ask me why)--someone at home (my dad) would do a dusting and everyone's hair grew just fine. I think a lot of 'trimming' is just something hairdressers do because you make a few extra bucks with trim added to wash, perm or whatever, not because its necessary and the amount they mostly cut, if you followed their advice, zero growth.

Artisticat
November 28th, 2013, 11:12 AM
You may want to join the "no trimming for a year" thread. I did that for 1 year and it helped me immensely!
It's like a rigorous diet for hair lol! It helps you stay committed when you get the urge to cut.

Liz_park
November 28th, 2013, 11:46 AM
I don't have damage, split ends or white dots. I've been babying my hair very well. It all started when I spoke with my mum (she hasn't seen me since August) and she was insisting I need a trim.

Oh mothers! They are so well-meaning. But if your hair isn't damaged, I agree you shouldn't trim at all. I would say grow to collarbone or APL and then get a CreaClip and or use Feye's self trim method to trim yourself.

Honestly, it's so straight forward to use Feye's self-trim method as well. I was super nervous the first time I did it and I have to say, it was the best haircut I've ever gotten. Afterwards I felt so happy that I had only cut off a half inch rather than the 2 or 3 or more inches I always get lopped off at the hair salon. And NO LAYERS! Ahhh it was amazing. I highly suggest you try self-trimming.

lapushka
November 28th, 2013, 11:57 AM
BowTie, ah those mums eh? Oh well. ;) If she keeps insisting you need a trim, tell her you got one and maybe even keep your hair up when she's around. I also think joining the no trimming thread can be beneficial! And I also agree that Feye's self trimming method is *the* way to go. Once your hair is long enough, that trimming method is so nice!

BowTie
November 28th, 2013, 12:25 PM
BowTie, ah those mums eh? Oh well. ;) If she keeps insisting you need a trim, tell her you got one and maybe even keep your hair up when she's around. I also think joining the no trimming thread can be beneficial! And I also agree that Feye's self trimming method is *the* way to go. Once your hair is long enough, that trimming method is so nice!

Aww, mums. I think they will always treat you like you were 5 lol. I keep my hair up most of the time anyway so that shouldn't be a problem either :D

Sowka
November 28th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Hello :)

Your profile says "current length: neck". I think this is a length at which hairdressers are most likely to cut off a lot because they feel that they should do something to make it look like a cut.

I have survived ;) this stage by simply avoiding any salons, as far as my length is concerned. I always put my hair up when going there, and ask them to cut only the bangs (I can't do that properly). My lengths haven't seen a hairdresser for about two years now. And they look great, in my opinion -- and long (I'm doing some S&D).

Andeee
November 28th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Yeah, I agree with everyone--don't get it trimmed! I've gone for *years* without trims in the past--it's how I got my hair to just about classic years ago.

Tangle or Curl?
November 28th, 2013, 12:30 PM
I second CreaClip. I've been self trimming and cutting for years with very mixed results. But after I bought my $7 knockoff from amazon and found a style I liked it has become very idiot proof to get it exactly right every time! I love it.

chen bao jun
November 28th, 2013, 02:11 PM
I wish you would explain how you creaclip with curls, Tangle or Curl. I'm about to give mine away because i can't figure out how to use it without straightening first.

I second CreaClip. I've been self trimming and cutting for years with very mixed results. But after I bought my $7 knockoff from amazon and found a style I liked it has become very idiot proof to get it exactly right every time! I love it.