PDA

View Full Version : Is my hairline receding? :(

water
November 28th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Hi guys :D I'm water!

I'm a 18yr old guy who has a question to ask you all!

I have really long hair up to my knees, never cut my hair all my life.

I always wear my hair up and really tightly but I stopped now and let it out because I found out hair can recede..

I am wondering if my hair has receded? & What can I do to prevent/stop future receding hair?
Thank you for reading!

Picture of my hairline:

http://i.imgur.com/8SXyc5G.png http://i.imgur.com/tcoqE0r.png

water
November 28th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Oh, and I forgot to ask "How should I let my hair out to give my hairline ease? Should I part it like in the picture?"

Madora
November 28th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Welcome to LHC, Water.

From the first picture, it looks like you have a high forehead.

The second photo definitely shows the beginning of traction alopecia...hair loss from being pulled back tightly.

I cannot really say if your hairline is receding or not. If you could supply some "before" pictures of your hairline (front and sides) it might be easier to determine.

For the sake of your hair, never pull it back tightly, as that puts way too much stress on the delicate front and side hair.

Perhaps a braid might help in keeping your hair confined...just be sure that you can place at least one finger between where the braid begins and your scalp and don't braid too tightly.

Good luck.

PS. I'd avoid parts of any kind. Center parts are the worst.

water
November 28th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Hello, Madora!

High forehead? I had to google it and all I remember was that my hairline was a bit more lower than now. I'm so happy that I found out about this sooner!!

My Hairline is really straight, but from the side it seems like I'm losing hair.

Yeah, I won't ever put it up tightly from now on!

A braid? Like isn't that bad because the hair is pulled back and the hairline might also?

Parting hair is bad? I like to leave my hair out but I don't know how to leave it out properly if that makes sense. Like I just don't want my hairline to get messed up.

Thank you Madora!

Madora
November 28th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Yes, the hair loss from the side is usually associated with traction alopecia...from pulling back the hair tightly..day after day. Pulling tightly puts way too much stress on your hair follicles, resulting in hair loss. Women have this as well.

You can braid your hair loosely so that while it is drawn back into the braid, it is not drawn back tightly. The tightness is the culprit when dealing with hair.

Center parting your hair is bad because if you do it day after day, you'll eventually end up with a wider part in the middle of your head. To illustrate:

A farmer walks thru a meadow every day to get to his barn. At first, the grass is bright and springy beneath his feet. But after a month, the constant wear on that meadow path has left it bare and dry..all the grass gone.

Always center parting your hair will only widen the part...and make it noticeably visible.

If you like parts, you could try a left side part. If you haven't worn a left sided part, then your follicles might hurt a little (because they are not used to being drawn in that direction. This soreness vanishes with time).

If you still have reservations about trying a braid, then perhaps you could confine your hair via the "caterpillar" method, which is simply putting soft fabric scrunchies down the length of your hair...at 3 inch intervals. That is:

1 Gently detangle your hair with a wide tooth comb and draw it back into a low ponytail.
2 Put the first scrunchie on the hair (like you were going to ponytail) but place it about 5 inches down from the scalp.
3 Continue placing scrunchies -- at intervals -- down the remaining length.

If scrunchies aren't your thing, then try any other fabric covered elastic. Be sure they have no metal. Stay away from rubber bands too.

I hope this helps! Good luck, Water!

water
November 28th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Thank you Modera!!

The thing with my hair is, whenever I make a braid or something, my braid gets heavy and naturally pulls down.

Like, the gravity is pulling my hair on its own haha. Is that still bad? My height is 6feet2 and my hair is a little up to my knees. So you can imagine how heavy it would be..

Madora
November 28th, 2013, 08:53 AM
No, there is nothing wrong with gravity as far as braids are concerned.

If you feel like the weight is putting too much strain on your scalp, then you have the option of dividing the hair in half, and braiding one section and then bunning it (yes, men can bun too. LHCer Gumball does it a lot). The remaining hair is braided and that is left to hang down.

The reason that many of us here at LHC keep our hair confined, instead of loose, is that it helps protect the hair from getting so wretchedly tangled and snarled. Many of us wear it up in some fashion. Some enjoy their hair free flowing and learn to deal with the problems that can bring. There is no one "correct" way to enjoy your hair.

spidermom
November 28th, 2013, 09:04 AM
You could make a series of braids down the back, maybe 3 of them, each one directly below the former braid. I might have a picture. Ahhh, yes.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/dreadhawk4.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/spidermom/media/dreadhawk4.jpg.html)
My son calls this style the dred hawk. Don't braid too tightly. Since this style divides the weight up by 1/3 or more, it shouldn't pull too much or be too heavy.

water
November 28th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Madora,

Thank you! You guys can recommend any kind of hair style :) as I will only use it at home, and when I leave the house which isn't that often I will do my normal hair style :D
To be honest, I already do part my hair in half, with the bottom half being a braid, but it still seems like so much at the top haha.
My old hair style was to keep my hair as a bun up on my head, but I would do it really tightly so it stays put! So you think it'd be better if I just do it more lose at home?

Hi spidermom!
Thank you! I like to braid my bottom half of my hair tightly so it doesn't tangle up when I sleep :P It gets so annoying if I sleep with my hair out because it gets pulled by accident!
That hair style is nice :) Thanks!

Madora
November 28th, 2013, 09:35 AM
I'm partial to lace crown braids or just a simple loosely braided bun that I wear on top of my head.

For more hair inspiration, here is a link to the wonderful hair video tutorials of Miss Torrin Paige:
http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige

As far as creating the style itself, just be sure you don't pull the hair tightly when you bun or braid. There should be a little bit of looseness between the beginning of the bun and your scalp. You should be able to insert at least one finger between the begining of the bun and your scalp.

Also, long hair feels much more comfortable if it is sectioned..divided, somehow, rather than in one large concentration of hair on your scalp.

Use hairpins (not bobby pins) to anchor the bun as it is created.

For a simple braided bun you might like to try this:

1 Detangle all hair with wide tooth comb
2 Make a horizontal part from the top of your right ear, across the back of your head, to the top of your left ear
3 Take all the hair above the part, braid it loosely. Secure end with hair friendly elastic tie.
4 Take the braid you just made, and holding the base flat against your scalp, make a bun, pinning with hairpins as you go around.
5 Tuck the tassle under the bun
6. Take remaining hair, loosely braid it, then wind it around the bun already made.

Voila..one double braided bun.

You can use the same technique for double bunned twists, roped braids, etc.

This sectioned method can also be used for the Cameo bun.

If this is too labor intensive for your liking, then perhaps hairsticks might prove an easier alternative. The Chinese braided bun w/sticks is easy to do and comfortable all day long.

Madora
November 28th, 2013, 09:35 AM
I'm partial to lace crown braids or just a simple loosely braided bun that I wear on top of my head.

For more hair inspiration, here is a link to the wonderful hair video tutorials of Miss Torrin Paige:
http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige

As far as creating the style itself, just be sure you don't pull the hair tightly when you bun or braid. There should be a little bit of looseness between the beginning of the bun and your scalp. You should be able to insert at least one finger between the begining of the bun and your scalp.

Also, long hair feels much more comfortable if it is sectioned..divided, somehow, rather than in one large concentration of hair on your scalp.

Use hairpins (not bobby pins) to anchor the bun as it is created.

For a simple braided bun you might like to try this:

1 Detangle all hair with wide tooth comb
2 Make a horizontal part from the top of your right ear, across the back of your head, to the top of your left ear
3 Take all the hair above the part, braid it loosely. Secure end with hair friendly elastic tie.
4 Take the braid you just made, and holding the base flat against your scalp, make a bun, pinning with hairpins as you go around.
5 Tuck the tassle under the bun
6. Take remaining hair, loosely braid it, then wind it around the bun already made.

Voila..one double braided bun.

You can use the same technique for double bunned twists, roped braids, etc.

This sectioned method can also be used for the Cameo bun.

If this is too labor intensive for your liking, then perhaps hairsticks might prove an easier alternative. The Chinese braided bun w/sticks is easy to do and comfortable all day long.

Salmonberry
November 28th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Do any other men in your family have a receding hairline? If you have a family history of it, it's more likely to happen to you. I'm not an expert on male hair loss, but I know it's not unusual to start seeing a receding hairline as early as 18. I know my great grandfather was almost bald by age 20, and he had short hair all his life, so traction had noting to do with it.

I'm sure a lot of really tightly pulled back hairstyles won't help you, so take as many suggestions as you can as far as alternative styles go. But, my best advice would be to do some research on male pattern baldness and ways to stop or prevent it if you're worried about it. I'm not trying to scare you, as your hair looks fine in the pictures, but keep in mind that simply being male puts you at risk of experiencing some level of male pattern baldness. I think focusing on traction as the sole source of your receding hairline may be misguided, especially considering that you're a guy. I know there are medications and topical products that some men use, but I know very little about them. Men's hormonal profile just puts them at greater risk of losing their hair as they age. I think it has something to do with the affect of testosterone on the hair follicles. But, I've heard the earlier you start intervening, the better chances are you'll hold on to more hair.

Good luck :)

AmyBeth
November 28th, 2013, 03:29 PM
I was going to suggest hairsticks as well. I hope you won't hesitate to try different ways of confining your hair for fear of a style looking effeminate. When a man wears a hairstyle, it looks masculine! A braid held up in a hairstick is very comfortable and doesn't feel like it is pulling at all, so will be unlikely to create more traction alopecia. If that is what is is, and not male pattern baldness (which would be hereditary), a gentle scalp massage every day might help to reactivate the follicles. If it is male pattern baldness, you could try minoxidil, which you can get OTC and in generic form, so it's not so expensive. Good luck. I'm very impressed that you have never had a haircut. I've never met any one who has never cut their hair!

sarahthegemini
November 28th, 2013, 06:23 PM
I can't add much to the suggestions that have already been given, but I think a bun would be a great alternative, especially if you find a comfortable way to secure it. Have you tried Spin Pins?

Center parting your hair is bad because if you do it day after day, you'll eventually end up with a wider part in the middle of your head. To illustrate:

A farmer walks thru a meadow every day to get to his barn. At first, the grass is bright and springy beneath his feet. But after a month, the constant wear on that meadow path has left it bare and dry..all the grass gone.

Always center parting your hair will only widen the part...and make it noticeably visible.

With no disrespect, I cannot see how a centre part and a farmer walking through a meadow are comparable - simply wearing your hair centre parted doesn't put any stress on it, unlike a meadow being trampled on daily :bigeyes:

Salmonberry
November 28th, 2013, 06:59 PM
With no disrespect, I cannot see how a centre part and a farmer walking through a meadow are comparable - simply wearing your hair centre parted doesn't put any stress on it, unlike a meadow being trampled on daily :bigeyes:

I have to agree. My hair has always center parted itself and I've never had any thinning there. Hmm. Maybe some people are more sensitive to it than others. It feels really uncomfortable if it's parted anywhere else.

water
November 29th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Madora Thanks for the link! I will try them out :D
Yeah, like so as long as it isn't tight its fine right? Before my hair would be so tight that it'd even bother me ! But now I do it reaaaaaaally lose!
The double braided bun sounds interesting!! :o I should try it :)

Salmonberry, I'm not sure.. I have never seen my fathers hair before he went bald (He's 50). I really hope I don't go bald!! People who are the same ethnicity tend to only go bald when they cut their hair, there are so many people from my country who do not cut their hair and they are not bald at all! They for sure do not do their hair as tight as me though :P I think I will have to look up the patterns then, I didn't really wanna get into capsules, but if I have to I can haha.

AmyBeth, No no; I'm only going to use these hairstyles at home so it won't cause me any trouble or make me shy :P When I go out I will just do my usual style, but not tight. I think I do need scalp massages, my head has always been hurting when I never released my old hair style out (because I did it tight) but recently I stopped and its fine now! Thank you! It is isn't uncommon from my country to never cut your hair, people only really started cutting their hair in my country because they want to become more "modern" haha :P No one really cut their hair before everything went western, and hair is a sign of beauty in my country.

sarahthegemini, I haven't tried spin pins! I usually just make a bun right on top of my hairline but now I just do it really loosely now.