PDA

View Full Version : Why is my hair devouring flax seed gel?

CurlyCap
November 27th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Last week, I tried to make a homemade detangler by applying flax seed gel (with a bit of natural butters in it) to my wet hair in the shower.

The process did NOTHING for detangling, but I noticed that my hair drank it up. I ended up applying 1.5 cups to my damp hair and 10 minutes later, my hair rinsed pretty cleanly.

Since then, I've done 2 more treatments by boiling 3 cups water with 1cup flax seed and applying the goop to my dry hair. I let it sit for an hour and then co-wash the mess out. I am left with AMAZING, well-defined, super soft hair.

My suspicion is that flax seed gel works as a humectant, but that doesn't make sense because my hair dislikes aloe and honey. Also, I rinse the flax seed gel off (there is no residue feel on my hair), so it's not acting as a styling product.

My hair is well cared for, has not recently been dry, and has well-trimmed, non-brittle ends.

I can't figure out what my hair is getting out of these treatments! So I thought I'd post.

Any thoughts?

MandyBeth
November 28th, 2013, 10:18 AM
It works similar to a protein treatment on my curly minion. But, her hair will soak up all I put in.

chen bao jun
November 28th, 2013, 10:47 AM
My hair soaks it up, too. Curly hair loves flaxseed gel and it makes your curls wonderful. I don't know why. It just IS that way.
If you want slip, you need marshmallow root (operative ingredient in a lot of products like kinkycurly, etc but you can jsut buy bulk loose marshmallow as tea online or in healthfood stores) I think you can actually use flaxseed and marshmallow together to make one all purpose jelly thing which looks nasty but is great for hair. Google around and check.

sakuraemily
December 1st, 2013, 05:24 AM
I think it is the mucilagy thing in flax seeds that is giving you the softness.