PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't my hair like this product?

Moonfall
November 27th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Hello all!
Some of you might remember me, most of you might not - I'm one of those forum lurkers that actually post very rarely. :)

Today, I am posting because I need some help on explaining why this particular product, Got2b Twisted Curling Mousse, doesn't work on my hair.
I first thought I was doing something wrong - since I don't often use mousses, I searched TLHC and YouTube for some instructions on how to use it. I tried using it on dry hair as well as on wet hair (this last option was recommended). Using it on dry hair didn't make a big difference, applying it to wet hair did. The mousse made my locks show more curls, but unfortunately, made them feel terribly dry as well. I then applied some products to the ends, hoping to make them feel less crunchy (argan oil conditioner and pure Brazilian nut oil. These are my hair's favorite products atm :o). It didn't seem to make a difference.

This was what I did yesterday, and today my hair was still very dry. I washed it today, then put the last two products in it again. It feels way softer than yesterday! Therefore, I suspect my hair doesn't like the mousse I bought :( Now, what I hope, is that someone is willing to tell me why. I figure there must be a certain ingredient in it, something my hair hates, and which I can take into account next time I'm looking for a product. I'm going to list the Got2b Twisted Curling Mousse ingredients below.

Ingredients: Aqua, VP/VA Copolymer, Butane, Propane, Polyquaternium-II, Sodium Benzoate, Cetrimonium Chloride, Isobutane, Panthenol, Amodimethicone, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Hydroxyethycellulose, Limonene, Lactic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Trideceth-12, Parfum, Pantolactone, Linalool

Please go easy on me - I'm no familiar with these names at all, and I don't have the slightest clue what these ingredients are!
Thanks in advance!
Moonfall

Rio040113
November 27th, 2013, 03:28 PM
I find mousse to be like hairspray, great for holding a style but it's not going to do much for your softness or shine, a lot of the ingredients are coating and can be pretty drying. They can also cause some build up. Have you tried a more natural 'styling gel' like aloe vera gel or flax seed gel? A lot of curlies/wavies (and straighties!) use them with great success :)

makeminea99
November 27th, 2013, 03:40 PM
I must say, I'm only familiar with a few of them - and you'd get a heck of a word score in a game of Scrabble with some of these, wouldn't you? :)
The ones I know: obviously aqua is water, butane and propane are kind of propellant gas thingys ( I think! Presumably to make the mousse go whoosh!) cetrimonium chloride is a conditioning ingredient I believe, as is panthenol, tocopheryl acetate is vitamin E I believe, and as for the other ingredients I wouldn't like to say! You say you don't often use mousses. Have there been any you've used before that have been ok? I know I gave up on mousse long ago as they all seemed to dry my hair out for some reason. :ponder:

ETA:

I find mousse to be like hairspray, great for holding a style but it's not going to do much for your softness or shine, a lot of the ingredients are coating and can be pretty drying. They can also cause some build up. Have you tried a more natural 'styling gel' like aloe vera gel or flax seed gel? A lot of curlies/wavies (and straighties!) use them with great success :)

Actually, I agree, I've had pretty good results with a mixture of water, conditioner and aloe vera gel (just a teensy bit, say a 5 pence piece sized blob of each) in a spray bottle on my hair.

TrapperCreekD
November 27th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Sodium Benzoate is a type of salt, which can be pretty drying for wavies and curlies, and it's pretty high up on the in the ingredient list. It also has a cone (amodimethicone). I don't know that much about cones - someone more knowledgeable please correct me if I'm wrong - but cones don't always play nice. Is your hair normally dry? The cone could be blocking out moisture.

I've had pretty good results with a mixture of water, conditioner and aloe vera gel (just a teensy bit, say a 5 pence piece sized blob of each) in a spray bottle on my hair.

How much water do you add?

Beborani
November 27th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Hydrogented castor oil. I bought ouidad leavein conditioner which had this listed as one of top ingredients-- all others I had used in some form or other so I blame it for making my hair weirdly y coated and dry. It was the only hair product I returned after one use--the store encouraged me to try and return. Mousse isnt that different from other leaveins except for the carriers--

Moonfall
November 28th, 2013, 03:22 AM
Thanks for sharing your views on it! :) Also, the aloe vera gel mixture might be a good idea for me, too. *Sigh* I wish there was just a perfect product for each hair type - it would save us so much time, effort and money! LHC can be a quest sometimes - and endless one, that is!

makeminea99
November 29th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Sodium Benzoate is a type of salt, which can be pretty drying for wavies and curlies, and it's pretty high up on the in the ingredient list. It also has a cone (amodimethicone). I don't know that much about cones - someone more knowledgeable please correct me if I'm wrong - but cones don't always play nice. Is your hair normally dry? The cone could be blocking out moisture.

How much water do you add?

I would say my mixture is probably about 99% water! So say you used an empty 150ml spray bottle, I would pretty much fill it up with water (I always boil it first then let it cool down to lukewarm) then I'll add my tiny squeeze of aloe vera gel and conditioner. I always give it a good shake before praying it on to my hair. I've also added tea tree oil and peppermint oil to this too, as I use it every other day on my boys' hair when I want to check their hair for the dreaded headlice.