PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about my new hair care plans?

BowTie
November 27th, 2013, 12:02 PM
I've tried CO-washing a few times and my hair + scalp seem to love it. My hair feels pretty dry after shampooing but with co-washing I don't have that problem.

My hair care routine before: Washing twice a week with SLS free shampoo and silicone-free conditioner. Shampooed my scalp
twice and conditioned my lenght twice too. Coconut oiling before every wash. Wooden comb used daily and BBB used when I remembered. Hair mostly kept up. I don't use heat ir any styling products.

My new hair routine: Co-washing 3 times a week with a good scalp massage. Before co-washing coconut oiling for my ends. Shampooing only when my hair feels really dirty or needs clarifying. Coconut oiling the lenghts before every wash. BBB used every night before bed. I plan to wear my hair mostly braided as I've founded it is safest for my hair. I will have my hair down on special occasions. No heat or styling products.

The last time I shampooed was on Thursday evening, I've done two co-washes after that and my hair looks AMAZING!

What do you think? Any tips?

Rio040113
November 27th, 2013, 12:17 PM
The only thing I'd really say at this point and you may not find you need to, especially being at a short length still but have you tried a very light oil on your ends/length after you wash? On damp hair 1/2 drops (I use 2-4 on Hip length i/ii hair) can help seal in moisture and keep things tangle free :)

sarahthegemini
November 27th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Sounds good to me!

BowTie
November 27th, 2013, 12:53 PM
The only thing I'd really say at this point and you may not find you need to, especially being at a short length still but have you tried a very light oil on your ends/length after you wash? On damp hair 1/2 drops (I use 2-4 on Hip length i/ii hair) can help seal in moisture and keep things tangle free :)

I always seem to put too much oil in my hair. Silly me, have to practice it!

Rio040113
November 27th, 2013, 01:34 PM
I always seem to put too much oil in my hair. Silly me, have to practice it!

It's easy to over oil, I'm sure almost everyone on the forum has at some point :lol: I find it's best to do 1 drop at a time, place a drop on your palm and rub your hands together so they're evenly coated, then smooth your hands lightly down your (damp) hair, starting at the ends and working up your length slowly :) You can always add a drop or 2 more as needed.

BowTie
November 27th, 2013, 01:38 PM
It's easy to over oil, I'm sure almost everyone on the forum has at some point :lol: I find it's best to do 1 drop at a time, place a drop on your palm and rub your hands together so they're evenly coated, then smooth your hands lightly down your (damp) hair, starting at the ends and working up your length slowly :) You can always add a drop or 2 more as needed.

Going to try this after my next wash!:)

I also try to improve my diet. More vegetables, fruits, berries, fish, nuts.. less processed food!

Rio040113
November 27th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Going to try this after my next wash!:)

I also try to improve my diet. More vegetables, fruits, berries, fish, nuts.. less processed food!

Good luck! Which oil are you going to try? :)

That's always a good plan, I eat well generally although lately it's been a bit hit or miss, oops :o

BowTie
November 27th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Good luck! Which oil are you going to try? :)

That's always a good plan, I eat well generally although lately it's been a bit hit or miss, oops :o

At the moment I only have coconut oil and this beautifying oil by The Body Shop. I need to get more!

I eat pretty healthy but I love crisps and everything salty and fatty lol

HintOfMint
November 27th, 2013, 01:52 PM
I'm also going to advise some sort of post-wash light oiling or a leave-in conditioner. Basically something that acts as a bit of a sealant to keep the cuticle down as water evaporates.

BowTie
November 27th, 2013, 01:57 PM
I'm also going to advise some sort of post-wash light oiling or a leave-in conditioner. Basically something that acts as a bit of a sealant to keep the cuticle down as water evaporates.

I've seen some hair oil spray bottles. I think from L'oreal and Dove. I wonder if these would be good for my hair..

BowTie
November 27th, 2013, 01:58 PM

I've seen some hair oil spray bottles. I think from L'oreal and Dove. I wonder if these would be good for my hair..

jimnyo
November 27th, 2013, 02:58 PM
can i ask you what conditioner you're using to CO and what shampoo (if any)? THANKS!

BowTie
November 27th, 2013, 03:04 PM
can i ask you what conditioner you're using to CO and what shampoo (if any)? THANKS!

At the moment I'm using Coconut oil conditioner by Dr. Organic and the shampoo from the same range. They work very well for my hair :)

Almendra
November 27th, 2013, 03:11 PM
More or less we have the same routine. Isn't CO amazing? I say if it works for you, keep going :) I wasn't sure about it since my scalp is greasy, but the last week I feel a little adjust. And of course my length is very happy. Is a miracle for dryness :p

Rio040113
November 27th, 2013, 03:17 PM

They might work fine for you but a lot of the spray oils are mixes with only a little of the actual oil you want and a ton of added other stuff, I'd recommend buying just a straight oil from a health shop or online (I buy from Holland and Barratts usually). Plus it's usually cheaper than the branded spray ones :)

makeminea99
November 27th, 2013, 03:25 PM
They might work fine for you but a lot of the spray oils are mixes with only a little of the actual oil you want and a ton of added other stuff, I'd recommend buying just a straight oil from a health shop or online (I buy from Holland and Barratts usually). Plus it's usually cheaper than the branded spray ones :)

I second this, it's definitely worth taking a look online, for the price of a bottle of some of the oil sprays I've seen in high street shops, you can get yourself a bottle of pure Argan or Jojoba oil. I'd definitely recommend doing that instead - splurge on the good stuff! :-)

BowTie
November 28th, 2013, 07:23 AM
I might buy myself some argan oil. Always wanted to try it:)