PDA

View Full Version : Updo learning curve

Kaelee
November 27th, 2013, 09:56 AM
:lol: It never ends, does it? Lately I've noticed I seem to have a lot more hair to wrap around my bun. I've noticed I can do looser buns that are comfortable and hold. At first I was worried that I was loosing thickness, but then I realized I'm not twisting the hair as much (still twisting it, but not as much. Maybe only twisting the first wrap around and then not twisting after that) and twisting eats up length and adds bulk. I'm not sure when I started doing this, but I like it! :lol:

Part of it I think is increased length, I don't HAVE to wrap my hair so tight in order to get it to stay up.

I also have to 'learn' every time I get a different kind of hairtoy, or start wearing one in a different way. I *thought* I would have this down by now, but I don't. :laugh:

Does this happen to anyone else? Does the "learning curve" ever end or does it just keep evolving?

Madora
November 27th, 2013, 10:02 AM
The learning curve evolves over time. Things that you didn't think of before become "face palms" years down the road...ideas just "jell" and everything comes into focus.

Different approaches as to how to section properly, how to braid with less tension, etc. etc. happen slowly...or fast...like "ah HA" moments. Getting around pesky problems just involves experimenting with what you have...getting a different perspective on the problem. Pretty much "don't lower the water..raise the bridge instead!"

Kaelee
November 27th, 2013, 10:07 AM
I'm also finding things that I'd written off completely as "just don't work, don't do it that way again!" are now the best way to do certain things. Really shows what a difference a couple of inches makes.

lapushka
November 27th, 2013, 10:13 AM
It's going to evolve as long as you continue to grow your hair. If you maintain a certain length for quite a while, it's not gonna change. ;)

Kaelee
November 27th, 2013, 10:35 AM
I'm certainly learning that I don't want my hair shorter than this again while it's still at a length that needs to be put up. Because updos are just really hard for me to do comfortably at shorter lengths.

Madora
November 27th, 2013, 11:10 AM
I'm certainly learning that I don't want my hair shorter than this again while it's still at a length that needs to be put up. Because updos are just really hard for me to do comfortably at shorter lengths.

Yes, you're right. So frustrating to want to create a style you like, only to find it just won't work with your current length. Used to drive me nuts when I had short hair.

Kaelee
November 27th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Yes, you're right. So frustrating to want to create a style you like, only to find it just won't work with your current length. Used to drive me nuts when I had short hair.

I have a long haired friend who cut her classic length hair because she said it was too hard to deal with (mind you she's got very wavy/coarser hair than I do)- I do think classic might be too much to deal with, but I certainly don't agree with "shorter is easier".

Demi-Plum
November 27th, 2013, 11:17 AM
OH yes it's a never ending cycle unless you are maintaining length I believe. The worst part is when you find out you've outgrown a style. I used to be able to fake a french twist fairly decent... even though my hair was much longer than "should be" for it, but now I find I can't seem to do one at all. It's saddening, but I'd rather sacrifice the style than my length. I'd rather fake a style than change my hair for it though. There's always going to be styles that just don't work for you sadly, but then again there are always going to be styles that look great. It's a give and take. I just look forward to being able to do new styles.... or faking a way until I'm happy.

Madora
November 27th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Personally speaking, the only thing good about short hair is that its easier to shampoo. Not being able to do much with a short length isn't that appealing.

Sillage
November 27th, 2013, 11:26 AM

I feel the same exact way! I'm finally able to do buns now that my hair is at waist-- never going shorter than this!!!!

Leafy
November 27th, 2013, 11:38 AM
I can't wait to learn updos when my hair grows longer. It's certainly no where near long enough at a pixie, but learning updos is something I'm looking forward to!
I don't really know any, having never been longer then just above my chest and rarely tying it up. So I don't know what styles work for what lengths either. :(

Sillage
November 27th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Are you at the length in your avatar pic, Leafy?

It's ok not knowing what styles work for what lengths-- that's part of the fun! Discovering what works and what doesn't... some times you surprise yourself :)

Leafy
November 27th, 2013, 12:57 PM
My current pink-haired avatar is before I had my final haircut and colour. I haven't updated it yet - maybe I should. xD
This is me now: Click (http://gyazo.com/72aea346daa73adf5dfcb159fda92ede)

And I guess it would be better if I find out myself - I would anyway as I start practicing updos to learn them and commit them to memory better. :)

Sillage
November 27th, 2013, 01:06 PM
OMG your pixie is adorbs!!!! Leafy, you look so cute with your hair hanging over one eye.

I love pixie cuts-- the only reason I don't have one is because a) I love big buns even more and b) you get to have more hair toys with buns. If I was at your length I'd be going crazy with bobby pins-- not to change the style but to put ornaments in my hair. They sell bobby pins with flat pads on them that you can glue things on to. I have a friend that does this and she always looks so cute with darling little buttons, or mini flowers, or bows etc etc floating in her short bob. It takes a little technique to get the look right tho-- there we are back to learning curves LOL!

Leafy
November 27th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Hahaha!
Yeah, that sounds amazing! C:

I usually clip a bow on the front/side or wear my black spikey headband, depending on whether I want to go for a simple sute or rebellious look.
I would totally love to decorate my hair with different little pins! I hate feeling my hair is too simple and empty of creativity, hence I always wear either the bow or headband I have. I can't stand not trying to make it more interesting.

Also, thanks for the compliment! :o
I wish I had my long hair back though...this is why I keep this pic in my profile, as I don't have any pictures with longer hair. And it's in a cute lil' braid!
http://gyazo.com/826fa309c3a9997c4033dd89349d1283
Click if my img code hasn't worked - it's not showing up on the forum for me (http://gyazo.com/826fa309c3a9997c4033dd89349d1283)

Sillage
November 27th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Interesting that you mention creativity, Leafy because that's one of the reasons I love being able to decorate my hair. There are so many moods and impressions you can make with the right ornaments-- and that doesn't take into account the actual hairstyle!

Your longer was really cute too! Very sweet with the cotton candy pink and blonde. I have to say tho that I love you dark hair even more because it gives you a more sultry and elegant look.

BTW, I think your idea of familiarizing yourself with bunning techniques is great and will no doubt be an added bonus to you since you're in beauty school (IIRC?)

Kaelee
November 27th, 2013, 09:57 PM
I think the trickiest thing is remembering which toys require a tighter updo and which require looser. :laugh: One of these days I'll get THAT right...they aren't all the same!

Islandgrrl
November 27th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Kaelee, it's just never ending. I've never been exceptionally talented at intricate updos or fancy braids. For a person with hair as long as mine is currently, I'm honestly just not very good at it. But it seems like I'm bad at it in different ways at different lengths, if that makes any sense. For a long time, Lazy Wrap Bun was awesome. Too much hair now, I can't make it work. I don't like to twist my hair tightly at all, so cinnamon buns sag like crazy and pull. Inside out buns have been the only consistently go-to style that has worked from waist length all the way to mid thigh. I did just learn to do a disk bun, though. It's not as hard as it looks (seriously, if I can do it anyone can), but most of my hair toys disappear in there. Its always a new challenge!

Leafy
November 28th, 2013, 01:49 AM
Sillage, I don't know what iirc means, but I am training in hairdressing, so learning updos would be a bonus invade I have a client with longer hair who would want me to put in in one updo or another. I might try saving up for a block head (those plastic head things with hair that hairdressers first train on). If i get one, i could try practicing on that until my own hair gets long enough. :)