PDA

View Full Version : Panthenol

ErinLeigh
November 27th, 2013, 01:30 AM
Panthenol is not only a humectant, but is also a useful moisturizer and emollient. It spreads evenly on the surface of hair strands, forming a smooth film on the surface of the cuticle. This film gives enhanced coherence to the reflection of light from the surface of the hair, which imparts significant gloss and shine. The smooth film also provides excellent slip between adjacent strands of hair and detangling properties. Panthenol is capable of penetrating the cuticle and entering the hair shaft as well, where it aids in moisture retention and provides volume.
It is important to note that sometimes penetration of the shaft by ingredients can create a rough cuticle surface and lead to frizz, due to swelling of the hair shaft. This may not occur for everyone and is dependent upon several factors, including porosity of the hair and the amount of the ingredient used in the product. It is a potential undesirable effect, so keep this in the back of your mind when using a product containing the ingredient.

Based on these 2 paragraphs is Panthenol a good idea for me when listed as a top ingredient i.e Pantene? And what about as a minor ingredient? I have porous hair that frizzes.
Who uses Panthenol and what is your hair type? What does it do for your hair?

ErinLeigh
November 27th, 2013, 01:42 AM
“(Important note: Watch out for Panthenol. For most this ingredient is harmless, but some hair types reject it, and instead of moisturizing it has the same effect as protein on the hair, making it super coarse and brittle.

From Wikipedia:
In cosmetics, panthenol is a humectant, emollient and moisturizer. It binds to hair follicles readily and is a frequent component of shampoos and hair conditioners (in concentrations of 0.1-1%). It coats the hair and seals its surface, lubricating follicles and making strands appear shiny.

In effect, Panthenol can act as a highly effective sealing silicone on some individuals. Also of note, Panthenol although not a protein, can be treated in the same way as a protein disaster if you gain bad effects from it. Its exception is to clarify with a shampoo not containing Panthenol.)”

goldenlady
November 27th, 2013, 08:25 AM
I love pathenol.. I always look for it in my conditioners. I have super fine hair which is highly porous and naturally very frizzy. It smooths my hair and makes it sleek and shiny, also straighter which suits my hair which is neither wavy nor straight.