PDA

View Full Version : Stress/New routine and Shedding.

SouthernSweetie
November 26th, 2013, 08:56 PM
I just joined a few weeks ago, and I have been trying all sorts of new stuff on my hair. I went about 2 days without washing my hair(I just started CO-washing about 2 weeks ago), and when I went to wash my hair I lost about 3 times the amount I usually do. I have been stressed out recently because my grandfather is very ill, and I was wondering which of these things would be the most-likely culprit? Not to mention I've been using an olive and coconut oil mix on my hair the past couple days. Also, would a protein overload cause excess shedding?
Sorry for rambling..:shrug:

Thanks in advance!

Leisje
November 26th, 2013, 09:52 PM
The CO-washing could be the culprit. I shed like the dickens when I tried that method. Stress, of course, can also make you shed. I would first try to reintroduce some sort of cleanser other than conditioner and see if that helps you.

Kaelee
November 26th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Did you skip more days between washing than usual? That will do it- you didn't shed more, you just DIDN'T shed as much on the days you didn't wash, so you're "catching up" and losing the hair that you would have lost on the previous two wash days all at once.

The same thing happens when my hair is bunned up all day. I shed a small animal. :laugh: It's not that I'm shedding more, it's that I'm not losing hairs sporadically throughout the day so it looks like a lot.

Kaelee
November 26th, 2013, 10:11 PM
Did you skip more days between washing than usual? That will do it- you didn't shed more, you just DIDN'T shed as much on the days you didn't wash, so you're "catching up" and losing the hair that you would have lost on the previous two wash days all at once.

The same thing happens when my hair is bunned up all day. I shed a small animal. :laugh: It's not that I'm shedding more, it's that I'm not losing hairs sporadically throughout the day so it looks like a lot.

Flor
November 27th, 2013, 12:53 AM
You shed hair that went into telogen (resting) stage 2-4 months ago. Also, some shed hairs come out easily on their own, but most of them need a bit of help. So they'll come out with massage, roots oiling, washing, brushing, etc.

With that in mind, if your stress is very recent, it's not the cause. Stress forces hair into telogen state, but it will still needs months before it's ready to be shed.

CO-washing could make it appear like you're shedding more, because you massage scalp more and it loosens up those telogen state hairs and they come out easier. It's not a bad thing, they were doomed anyway. Also, like Kaelee said, if you used to wash more frequently, then it's just accumulated number.

There's also Fall shedding, a common occurrence for many of us. I've been shedding a lot more in the last 2 months, but now it's wrapping up.

There is this theory of clogged hair follicules with CO and oil hair masks, but I'm not sure what to think of it myself. My understand is that clogged hair follicles would act like pimples. So unless you have those, I wouldn't think it's the cause.

SouthernSweetie
November 28th, 2013, 05:06 AM
Y'all are a lot of help. I went maybe a day longer than normal, but it was a lot of hair. I'm gonna hang out for a little while and see if it gets any better. Changing my routine drastically would probably put it into shock even more. haha. I don't think it's clogged hair follicles, or at least my scalp doesn't feel any different that I noticed. Kaelee: I'm glad I'm not the only one that sheds a small animal! :tongue:

redtuss
November 28th, 2013, 05:42 AM
I CO-wash and have been for the last 3 years, I don't really think I lose that much hair in the shower - but I do think that I don't lose as much hair anymore when out of the shower!
If that made any sense ;)
CO-washing often includes more massage and handling while washing - which makes hair that is supposed to fall out to do it. For some people it's best to avoid conditioner on the scalp and just stick to warm water (as warm as you can take) and a good massage to get dead skin cells, sebum and gunk off and away of your scalp.

For me personally it comes to the conditioner, some of them I can use on my scalp and some I can't without getting dry. Most of the times I wash I just massage and scritch with warm water and put co on the lengths.

And everynow and then there is an increase in shedding too :)