PDA

View Full Version : Been gone, but I'm coming back, now.

Silverlady
March 18th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Hi LHC'ers! Well, I have lost 78.5 pounds and I'm keeping it off and have maintained 155 for 7 months now. Now I'm having the plastics done. Had face lifted and breasts lifted and reduced (NO implants) 6 weeks ago and by May 1 will have an abdominoplasty done, removal of all the hanging flab over the pelvic bone and ab muscles tighted in the same procedure. I lost 30% of my hair 4-5 months post op (Nov '06) of the gastic bypass which happens to 99% of gastric patients which really DEPRESSED me a whole lot and has been very hard to get excited about anything hair related. I stayed away from LHC for many months, too depressing while my hair was falling out by the handfuls. Soooo, last month I had 8 inchs cut off so now it's just 21 inches long, worn like a page boy, but long enought to barely make a high ponytail or a French twist. At least it doesn't look so thin and straggly and feels so much thicker. No regrets cutting off the old, thin, stuff that was dull and even a different color than the new hair coming in. BTW, the hair loss has regrown back in, very white and curlier!!! The hair loss is a temporary thing but still it's quite a bummer while it's shedding by the basketfuls! It will be another year before the new 6-7 in hair will catch up with the rest of the horizontal length and then I'll just start all over again! At least this time, I sure know a whole lot more about good hair care than I did before. I need to have a new siggy photo taken now.
My health is good and the gastric bypass was a total success. My hair is thicker and more luxurious than ever now that I've leveled all my various hormonal issues associated with fat and estrogen. I am SO glad I had it done!!!! Please, feel free to contact me if you are considering this procedure for morbid obesity. Meanwhile, I'll get more involved here at LHC since I like myself and my hair a whole lot more too, now.
Hugs to everyone who remembers me.
Silverlady

LilyMunster
March 18th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Hi SilverLady
Welcome back. :D

Blueglass
March 18th, 2008, 10:13 PM
:magic:Welcome back. I remember you well congratulations on the weight loss. Have you tried morrocco method? they have trimming dates for lenghtening and thickening. April 3 and 4 are thinking days this year. Hope your back on track ASAP, as you are a silver inspiration.

manderly
March 18th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Wow!! Congratulations on the weight loss!!! That's absolutely fantastic :D

Carina
March 18th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I do remember you.Great to see you back on lhc again.I'm glad that everything went well.Welcome!!!!!

coppercurls
March 18th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Welcome back, I have missed seeing you here! Your hair was one of the ones that encouraged me to stop coloring and let my natural "highlights" come in and sparkle. Congratulations on your weight loss & other changes.
:blossom:

Elenna
March 18th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I remember you silverlady. Good job on losing the weight.

Elenna

trollkjerring
March 19th, 2008, 12:27 AM
I am glad you are back and your recovery is going so well. Congrats for the weight loss, it is so good to read that it can be done.
trollkjerring

longhairedfairy
March 19th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Congratulations! *HUGS* I'm so glad the surgeries have been successful :cheer: The curly white hair sounds lovely!

ChloeDharma
March 19th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Welcome back :)

Queenie
March 19th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Welcome back, Silverlady!

TammySue
March 19th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Welcome back lovely Silverlady! I'm so happy to see you here!

Congrats on the weight loss and I'm so happy for you!

Please join us silver ladies in the Silver Hairs Group!!

((((HUGS))))

Garnet66
March 19th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Welcome back Silverlady and congrats on your weightloss!:thumbsup:

pookatrina
March 19th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Welcome back Silverlady :D Congratulations on the weight loss!

jojo
March 19th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Hi LHC'ers! Well, I have lost 78.5 pounds and I'm keeping it off and have maintained 155 for 7 months now. Now I'm having the plastics done. Had face lifted and breasts lifted and reduced (NO implants) 6 weeks ago and by May 1 will have an abdominoplasty done, removal of all the hanging flab over the

pelvic bone and ab muscles tighted in the same procedure. I lost 30% of my hair 4-5 months post op (Nov '06) of the gastic bypass which happens to 99% of gastric patients which really DEPRESSED me a whole lot and has been very hard to get excited about anything hair related. I stayed away from LHC for many months, too depressing while my hair was falling out by the handfuls. Soooo, last month I had 8 inchs cut off so now it's just 21 inches long, worn like a page boy, but long enought to barely make a high ponytail or a French twist. At least it doesn't look so thin and straggly and feels so much thicker. No regrets cutting off the old, thin, stuff that was dull and even a different color than the new hair coming in. BTW, the hair loss has regrown back in, very white and curlier!!! The hair loss is a temporary thing but still it's quite a bummer while it's shedding by the basketfuls! It will be another year before the new 6-7 in hair will catch up with the rest of the horizontal length and then I'll just start all over again! At least this time, I sure know a whole lot more about good hair care than I did before. I need to have a new siggy photo taken now.
My health is good and the gastric bypass was a total success. My hair is thicker and more luxurious than ever now that I've leveled all my various hormonal issues associated with fat and estrogen. I am SO glad I had it done!!!! Please, feel free to contact me if you are considering this procedure for morbid obesity. Meanwhile, I'll get more involved here at LHC since I like myself and my hair a whole lot more too, now.
Silverlady

hi i remember you,
Well done in loosing your weight, i had an abdominplasy in 2003 as id previously lost 98lbs, it was the best thing i have ever done, apart from the having to sleep up right and wear the tight corset thing.

good for you, id love to have my breasts reduced but im too scared maybe one day!

Good luck and welcome back xxx

Laululintu
March 19th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Welcome back :) I'm glad to hear you're recovering well.

spidermom
March 19th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I do remember you and was delighted to read your post. Welcome back. We're about so much more than hair.

OR Cowgirl
March 19th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Welcome back!! So glad your weight loss has been successful! Can't wait to see a picture of your new cut, bet it's adorable!

Mariah

Caldonia Sun
March 19th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Welcome back! I'm so glad to hear that you are doing so well. Great news!

DMARTINEZ
March 19th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Welcome back! I remember you quite well. I bet you look beautiful and cant wait to
see the white curly hair!!!!!

Deb

AquaViolet1973
March 19th, 2008, 10:32 AM
[quote=Silverlady; I am SO glad I had it done!!!! Please, feel free to contact me if you are considering this procedure for morbid obesity. Meanwhile, I'll get more involved here at LHC since I like myself and my hair a whole lot more too, now.
Silverlady[/quote]

Welcome back Silverlady! :)
I am considering Gastric Bypass surgery. I am 200 pounds overweight. Would you mind sharing what it was like, and eating changes you had to make, etc. ? You can PM me if you don't want to talk about it publicly. :)

Mebo
March 19th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Looks like I'm having the lapband the first week of April. I find out a surgery date this afternoon.

Can't wait, can't wait.

I was worried about your hair after the anesthesia, remember? I hope I'm not in for the same thing. It happened when I had gall bladder surgery a short two years ago last week. Well, it'll grow back again, won't it.

Glad to see you back. Now, stay put!

Silverlady
March 19th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Thank you everybody who replied to this thread. I am posting my reply to AquaViolet1973 here for everyone to read. I sure hope sharing my experience will help others who are in need of this wonderful, life saving procedure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi AquaViolet1973, Thank you for your reply. I'd be more than happy to share my laproscopic RNY Gastric Bypass with you. First of all, let me say, other than quitting drinking and smoking, it's the best thing I've EVER done for MYSELF. My bariatric surgeon says I've ADDED 10-15 GOOD quality years to my life! That's priceless in my estimation. 5 very small insicions were made on my abdomin and the hospital stay was 3 nites. It took a couple of months of eating pureed foods and protein milkshakes. My BMI was 39.9999 and I was 84 pounds overweight. I was totally miserable! I couldn't "reel it in", not even one more time, with WW or TOPS or any kind of diet. I just plain had to have my stomach reduced. I preferred to go for the "gold standard", the gastric bypass and do it right. No gimmicks or monthy fills involved. I eat or rather "graze" all day long. I eat just enough to be comfortable so as not to stretch my "pouch", which is what my stomach is called now. After post op it's only 2 oz or the size of a man's thumb, but now that I'm 20 months post op, it's probably the size of a medium orange or a lemon. My very most favorite website for gastric bypass info and support is obesityhelp.com There, you will find a world of info from other patients and all kinds of forums. I say get it done! I love myself and have regained my self esteem self worth, and hold my head high now. I have spring to my step, cause I know I'm looking good and feeling VERY good too. I have so much more energy now. You will probly lose a lot more weight than I did since you have more to lose. You'll lose the most the first 10 months and so you really want to take advatage of that window of time before it levels off. Most Gastric bypass patients lose an average of 65-75 of their excess weight from this procedure. After 18 months, what you've lost is about it, which is where I am now. Any more weight loss will done the old fashioned way, exercise! The surgery corrected every comorbidity associated with obesity, I.E., depression, sore aching joints, etc. My total cholesterol went from 265 down to 123! My osteoporosis has totally reversed and my bone density tests are totally normal now. High blood pressure is now normal to low and the list goes on and on. My moods and hot flashes are much better. Now that I've lost and I'm MAINTAINING my weight at a respectable weight, now it's time for the plastics. I had a beautiful face before I got morbidly obese and so I've had my face lift and eyes done and whole face laser resurfaced. Also, had a mastoplexy in the same operation, this was all just 6 weeks ago. Next, about the first of May, I'll have the abdominoplasty. But the main thing for me to impart to you is just get it done! Check around in your area for a surgeon and go for a free consulation. His office will also have group support meetings which are great. Call and see if you can attend a group support meeting for the sake of gathering more knowledge. Also, go online and do as much homework as you are comfortable with. If you have to remortgage your house, it's worth it. This is your life you are saving!!! Any more questions, please don't hesitate to write to me: silverkrisi@hotmail.com. Hugs to you my dear, Krisi

kimki
March 19th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Congratulations on your weightloss and recovery! Your body has been through alot, its amazing!

Welcome back. :o)

Ohio Sky
March 19th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I dont know you, but I thought Id say hi anyways and congrats on the weight loss! That surgery has done so much good for so many people! :)

Xandergrammy
March 19th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Welcome back, silverlady! You look amazing and I'm delighted to hear that your health has improved so much!!

Delilah
March 19th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Im so glad to hear your surgery went well and wish you luck and speedy healing on the rest.

Anje
March 19th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Hey, congrats on the weight loss and welcome back!

Not hair-related, but are you planning on donating the excess skin?

Chamomile betty
March 19th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Welcome back!
Congrats on your weight loss also.

Silverlady
March 19th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Gee, I hadn't thought about donating my skin. Sure, I'll ask my doctor and see what he can do with it. Thanks for the idea! Krisi

Mely
March 19th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Way to go, Silverlady! I'm glad your hair is coming in thick again. I didn't know surgery could cause hair loss.

The plastic surgery that really appeals to me is the abdominoplasty. I've watched those on tv--and I have to say I'd REALLY like to get that done. But plastic surgery isn't very commonly done in Canada, and I don't think gastric bypass is either. I guess we just aren't used to having to pay for surgery. I don't know anyone personally who has had plastic surgery--though I know of one person who had gastric bypass in Victoria. I suppose that would be covered by the health insurance. Maybe these types of surgery will become more common here now that there are so many shows about it on tv. People will start asking for it.

Smokering
March 19th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Congratulations! Great to see you back. :)

DavidN
March 20th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Although I have never had the chance to introduce myself to you, Silverlady, I thought I would pop in, introduce myself, and welcome you back to the LHC. Thank you for sharing with us, and I am glad everything is going well. Also, your hair in your avatar is beautiful!:flowers:

Silverlady
March 20th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I've had several major surgeries and never lost an extra hair. This includes open heart surgery which is just about as major as it gest, and I didn't lose any extra hair then! BUT, the gastric bypass is different. No one really knows why this particular procedure causes TEMPORARY hair loss. The best guess from the most educated is, it's such a radical change in calories, and major "replumbing" for a lack of better wording. The body needs to support other and all VITAL organs that the last thing the body needs to do is support hair. In spite of my every effort to detour the hair loss issue it happened anyhow. I ate 100 grams of protein a day and took my handfuls of vitamin supplements. So, 4-5 months post op the major shedding will occur. My shedding seemed to last 6-10 months. I've asked every anesthesiologist about hair loss including a professor and they ALL DENY that it causes hair loss. Both of my bariatric surgeons also don't know why the cause of hair loss. I'm just so grateful and thankful to be in such better overall health now. A temporary hair loss was well worth it!! Life is Good!!!
My avatar pictur was taken when my hair was the thinnest after the surgery and I'd lost 75-78 pounds. Now my hair is about 7-8 inches SHORTER and looks and feels SO much better. I'll get a photo soon, I hope, of the shorter length. Just look at my avatar pic and imagine all the see-through length being GONE!

Flaxen
March 20th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Welcome back, Krisi! :blossom:

snowbear
March 23rd, 2008, 03:38 PM
I remember you! Welcome back!

Dvips
March 23rd, 2008, 07:14 PM
Congratulations, Silverlady, and welcome back!

It's good to hear of you doing so well. :flowers:

Stagecoach
March 23rd, 2008, 07:29 PM
I just wanted to say welcome back SilverLady! I was thinking about you the other day and wondering how things were going with the shedding and all. I'm glad to hear they're looking up!

morningstar
March 23rd, 2008, 10:06 PM
Welcome back SilverLady. What changes you have been through! Congrats on all the weight loss and for renewed health. You should be proud.