PDA

View Full Version : Part of my hair is prone to splits.

Rufflebutt
November 25th, 2013, 09:03 PM
I don't know why, but the section of my hair right by the back of my neck is *always* so prone to split ends.

Lately the rest of my hair has been in beautiful shape, but I had to hack away at the section behind my neck because no matter what I do it always gets full of icky splits. Then it tangles more and causes even more splits. XP

I'm not really a big fan of updos, but are there any other ways to combat my splitting hair?

Rio040113
November 25th, 2013, 09:28 PM
I'm assuming it's rubbing on your clothes and things, so my instant reaction is updos! But if you're really not a fan, hmm, maybe some extra oiling... It might prevent a little bit of the friction..?

Yozhik
November 25th, 2013, 11:11 PM
My advice is to find the source of your mechanical damage. I'm guessing either collars (turtlenecks, collared shirts, perhaps even necklaces) or leaning your neck back against something (perhaps at night or a tall chair or car chair headrest?).

I'd suggest: silky clothing, avoiding whatever behaviors/clothes are causing the damage, and maybe a sleeping bonnet or a satin/silk pillowcase.

Good luck!

HintOfMint
November 26th, 2013, 01:50 AM
Ah, nape tangles and splits, the bane of my existence. I fought it for so many years but now I just gently detangle periodically throughout the day to prevent fully matted hair, and S&D aggressively. That section of hair is always going to be a bit shorter and thinner because of this, but it's hidden well, so it doesn't bother me as much as it used to.

Madora
November 26th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Here is Ktani's article on using catnip for preventing splits:

http://web.archive.org/web/20111221163407/http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118

You also might want to try gently pinning the hairs that constantly tangle with a bobby pin.

Magalo
November 26th, 2013, 10:28 AM
I had a forest of short very splitted hair at my nape before. I started wearing my hair in a braid for sleep, and now they're growing normally. I guess the rubbing during the night caused this!

Vivalagina
November 26th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Might sound weird but sometimes when I wear my hair down I braid just the hair at the nape of my neck to prevent tangles.

Crumpet
November 26th, 2013, 12:43 PM
I have one side (my left) that gets splits more easily. I can't figure out what's causing it, but it may be that I'm just rougher with that side...

The catnip does seem to help a bit. At the very least it makes my hair really soft. Its super-cheap and easy too, which is a bonus!

Pierre
November 26th, 2013, 05:20 PM
This sounds like sleep damage. I suggest wearing a Buff while sleeping.