PDA

View Full Version : Mineral water build up on low porosity hair?

lole18
November 25th, 2013, 08:18 PM
My hair is extremely fine thin dry damaged and tangly\breaks a lot it used to be curly now it isn't (also its really uneven because i can't retain length because of the breakage :( though i take really good care of it ) and its low porosity i want a natural way to get rid of mineral build up (i'm co washing 2-3 times a week and using shampoo once every 7-14 days) So is there a natural way to get rid of the meniral build up? I heard that ACV is great but i don't know how to use it and also they say it's bad for low porosity hair?

Rio040113
November 25th, 2013, 09:20 PM
I'm not sure about ACV but I believe the citric acid in lemon juice will chelate mineral deposits on your hair, how strong the effect is I'm not sure, if your hair has a heavy build up it may not remove it all, I'd honestly give it a wash with some chelating/swimmers shampoo then maybe incorporate (diluted) lemon juice rinses into your routine as needed, probably once a month or something. I should say I've never used lemon juice, just Joico and only used ACV as a rinse for the ph balance and cuticle smoothing goodness :)

Firefox7275
November 26th, 2013, 03:57 AM
If the build up is that bad use a chelating shampoo, you would need to use more than one chelant to remove all build up anyway. Run strand tests on shed plug hole hair if you don't want to experiment on your head.

How do you know your hair is low porosity, have you had an analysis? The DIY tests have been debunked.

Lastly consider if there is hydrolysed protein in any of your products, build up of that can lead to the issues you describe. Fine hair tends to do well with protein, but as with many things it can be overdone.

Madora
November 26th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Could you purchase a mineral filter attachment for your showerhead? I remember reading Heidi W mention this.

florenonite
November 26th, 2013, 10:26 AM
To my knowledge ACV does not chelate; citric acid, however, does. That being said, I don't think a citric acid rinse alone is enough to remove significant mineral build-up, though it can be used to help prevent build-up (by doing a rinse at the end of every wash).

Your best bet is a chelating shampoo; look for one that includes either Disodium EDTA or Tetrasodium EDTA. Then you can keep your hair from getting build-up with citric acid or lemon juice rinses.