PDA

View Full Version : My protein shake experiment come join me

bunzfan
November 25th, 2013, 12:30 PM
I've always found that they help my growth when i've done it in the past i remember at one time i was getting 2 inches a month! but then i was chopping all my growth off as i was maintaining but now i'm not cutting till June next year so i thought this would be a ideal time to try it.

I will be taking monthly pictures and trying to be scientific about it :lol: by wearing the same top and putting a belt round my hips as that's the length i am at now i was thinking of doing this for a good 6 months feel free to join me :D i started on the 18th of November so will be posting the comparison on the 18th of December .

Oh and i will be drinking 1 a day for breakfast as i'm pretty tiny and only need 35 g of protein a day if you are interested this site tells you how much protein you should be consuming for your body weight

www.wisegeek.org/how-much-protein-should-i-be-getting-daily.htm
http:///www.bodybuilding.com/fun/how-much-protein-do-you-really-need-official-position-issn.htm

JessicaAnn
November 25th, 2013, 12:53 PM
I've been having a protein shake that has been netting me about 50g of protein every weekday morning for about seven weeks. Weekends I tend to have an actual breakfast/brunch. We did a four week hair measurement last night and I seem to have grown just over an inch of hair in the last four weeks. I'm also taking vitamins to help out with any other deficiencies. In the last seven weeks I've also lost about 15lbs and can see some definite changes in the muscle tone in my legs and midsection. I can only imagine that the supplemental protein (I wasn't getting much protein before) has played a huge part in these positive changes. I'll be continuing on the protein regimen and I highly encourage anyone who is thinking about it to join in.

Johannah
November 25th, 2013, 02:09 PM
I'm going to subscribe to this.

Sweet_Decadence
November 25th, 2013, 03:06 PM
I take a protein shake (Myprotein Impact Whey) once a day, post training. It's 20g per 25g scoop, and I take 1 scoop with 5g L-Glutamine and 300ml of water.

I've been doing this since before I started growing my hair and I haven't noticed any effect on hair growth or quality, still averaging 0.4" per month. From food sources, I usually average about 50g of protein. I think supplementing protein, from a hair perspective, would only help if you were deficient, otherwise your just making very expensive pee.

Nanna
November 26th, 2013, 12:20 AM
I am eternally frustrated with my slow growth, so I might join in if I find some protein source I like. I have been looking for a new breakfast anyway, and drinking is easier in the morning than eating, so this might be it.

Libbylou
November 26th, 2013, 01:29 AM
I have been watching my protein intake for a couple months now. I was not getting enough before. I use myfitnesspal.com to calculate the amount I need for my weight. It says 50g. I find it very hard to reach. I eat a couple protein bars and usually fish or chicken for diner.
What are these shakes you are drinking? Do they taste good? If not, I doubt I would use them.

Firefox7275
November 26th, 2013, 04:01 AM
Much better to eat nutrient dense wholefoods for protein than refined supplements - eggs, natural dairy, oily fish, organ meats, molluscs for example. Protein shakes should a supplement or tool of convenience when exercising, not a substitute for real food.

bunzfan
November 26th, 2013, 04:16 AM
Much better to eat nutrient dense wholefoods for protein than refined supplements - eggs, natural dairy, oily fish, organ meats, molluscs for example. Protein shakes should a supplement or tool of convenience when exercising, not a substitute for real food.

I always try to but i find it hard to get enough i was having eggs daily but decided to go back to this and i'm only having 1 a day anyway, for instance last night i had fish with baked beans .

Firefox7275
November 26th, 2013, 04:24 AM
I always try to but i find it hard to get enough i was having eggs daily but decided to go back to this and i'm only having 1 a day anyway, for instance last night i had fish with baked beans .

It should not be difficult if you are eating a balanced and varied diet, protein rich foods like the ones I have listed also supply other nutrients in the form we evolved to absorb and utilise. Ultimately protein shakes are a refined/ heavily processed substance, one a day really is not ideal unless essential to a sports training schedule.

Are you not eating the recommended three servings of dairy each day? That supplies a useful amount of protein.

inertia
November 26th, 2013, 07:56 AM
I started exercising and drinking protein shakes about half a year ago and while it's been great for my energy levels and mood, it hasn't made any difference to my hair growth. My hair is dyed so any variation in growth speed is obvious. But there just hasn't been a change.

Applegirl84
November 26th, 2013, 08:17 AM
I have been drinking protein shakes daily for over 2 years (when I got pregnant with my twins) and while I have ot noticd an increase in growth rate, the thickness/quality of my hair is better for those 12-14 inches. I think it really is a long term thing though. I doubt you'd notice much of a difference under 6 months. However sufficient protein could have a quicker effect on your overall health. My skin and nails also benefit from protein.

BTW I aim for 70/80g of protein a day (much more when I was pregnant/breastfeeding twins).

LauraLongLocks
November 26th, 2013, 08:25 AM
I'm currently breastfeeding, and I'm athletic. My ideal diet looks like this:

2 eggs - 12 grams
4 servings dairy - 32 grams
4 servings vegetables - 4 grams
3 servings fruit - 4 grams
3 servings whole grain - 12 grams
3 oz meat, fish, chicken - 20 grams
2 scoops protein powder 45 grams

That's nearly 130 grams protein. Even without the protein powder, I am at 84 grams protein, which is adequate for someone who isn't athletic or pregnant/breastfeeding.

bunzfan
November 26th, 2013, 08:47 AM
I sort of feel like i'm getting lectured here and as a fully grown 37 year old woman (in 1 week :loll:) i eat as much protein as i can but as i am naturally tiny the extra protein has helped me one of the things i noticed quickly was that my hair grew much quicker as a vegetarian pointed out to me i normal do it for 6 months or so and then have a break .

I only started this because i thought some of you may be interested in the results and to join me and compare :o i'm not having a go at anyone BTW.

ebikko
November 26th, 2013, 08:49 AM
I strength train and lift heavy weights. On bad days I usually get 100 grams of protein and on good days between 150-170 grams. I rarely supplement with protein powders.

I haven't noticed any difference in hair growth compared to when I ate lower protein (about 70-80 grams/day). It could make a difference for someone who eats even less protein than that and increases their intake...

arielįgua
November 26th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Bunzfan! I want to see your experience, I'll be paying attention to this thread. :puppy:

I am not trying myself protein shakes, but I always like watching out for these experiences on other people. I am quite small myself and I don't eat much protein. I am 55kg and I probably eat 35-40g a day sometimes less sometimes more, it depends, I don't always eat the same thing everyday, but anyway, I get you when you say it's probably hard to get more protein, you would probably need to consume more food and that could lead you to bloating or feeling full all the time, at least I tried eating more protein rich foods for a week and I gave up, I was feeling like a balloon. I guess everyone is different. ^^

Good luck for this! I'll be lurking! :eye:

JessicaAnn
November 26th, 2013, 09:57 AM
I don't eat much food of any kind over the course of a day. The protein shakes and other supplements I've been taking have helped not only as far as my hair/nails are concerned, but with a lot of other health issues as well. Its very easy to say "just eat more of the right stuff," but things don't always work out that way.

Kaelee
November 26th, 2013, 10:02 AM
I should do this just to increase my protein intake anyway, since I'm working out and I know I don't eat well. It's a shame protein shakes are so darn expensive! :(

YamaMaya
November 26th, 2013, 10:46 AM
I just got paid so I think I'll give this a go, does anyone have a good recommendation for protien drinks?

dulce
November 26th, 2013, 10:55 AM
I am interested BUNZFAN! I like protein shakes [homemade with almond milk or coconut milk and powdered whey or dried eggwhites plus raw cacao powder[ egg white powder sold in health food stores,made to add to shakes]I do see a difference in my growth when using them so I believe you.

bunzfan
November 26th, 2013, 12:05 PM
I'm glad there is some interest :D please feel free to add your own pics to show comparison from month to month.

pogo0685
November 26th, 2013, 09:02 PM
I will be watching... I might even join in at some point. I hope it works for you bunzfan.

dreamingstar
November 26th, 2013, 09:24 PM
I just got paid so I think I'll give this a go, does anyone have a good recommendation for protien drinks?

Advantedge Carb Control is a good one. It is low carb (2.5g), high protein (I think 12 or 17) and has most of your daily vitamins. Plus it's dairy-free, 100 calories, and both the chocolate and vanilla taste great! They are far more reasonably priced at Costco and Sams than Publix. I don't know if Walmart carries them or not. My mother is diabetic, and her doctor put her on a high-protein, low-carb diet and told her to try these, and they work great!

bunzfan
November 30th, 2013, 05:49 AM
when i started the shakes just over a week ago my hair was at 28" on a wavy day and today also pretty wavy its 29.1" exactly that's half a inch in 2 weeks :D i did used to get between a inch and two inches when i drank them before.

heartgoesboom
November 30th, 2013, 06:41 AM

cellucor! it taste great it's 130kcl with 25g of protein per scoop. my fave is cinnamon swirl. i recently started trying to get 1mg/lb of protein so i'll try to see if there's a difference. i hope!

Helenae
November 30th, 2013, 12:34 PM
I'm interested in protein shakes because my hair seems to love protein-based treatments such as raw eggs!

Does anyone have any information on vegetable-based natural organic protein shakes, rather than animal protein shakes? I'm pretty new to this but I don't eat a lot of vegetarian protein so I'd prefer that.

bunzfan
December 21st, 2013, 05:56 AM
So first month of comparison i haven't been able to drink them as much as i would like with Christmas and all and i've just run out i will start again Jan so out of the 4 weeks i have probably had i daily for about 3 weeks still some steady growth though.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/9927/5vw9.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/18/5vw9.jpg/)http://imageshack.us/a/img560/922/3wc2.jpg

bunnylake
December 21st, 2013, 06:08 AM

Agreed. I'm cutting way back on artificial foods in general. I don't feel like I'm getting enough protein anyway, so I'm joining in! I'm going to get as much as I can from food though. Maybe I'll try a shake for times when I'm just busy.

jacqueline101
December 21st, 2013, 07:30 AM
I'm not able to buy a weightlifter protein shake but I had slim fast gave to me. You add milk to it. I was wondering if it's the same thing can I join if it is.

Aingeal
December 21st, 2013, 07:33 AM
I may try this. I hennaed my hair just before thanksgiving almost a month ago and have about half an inch of roots. I'd like a bit more growth.

ositarosita
December 21st, 2013, 07:38 AM
I may try this with my favourite Whey Protein with banana's and almond milk ... I am a bad girl and I don't often eat during the day (only dinner) ...I am lactose intolerant (even though I try to get some dairy in if I feel like my tummy can handle it)... so I can GUARANTEE that I do not get enough protein ... some days I don't even eat meat at all other days I simply eat a few slices of turkey ham... so yes this is shall try not just for hair but overall benefit

ositarosita
December 21st, 2013, 07:39 AM
AMAZING GROWTH and such pretty hair

LauraLongLocks
December 21st, 2013, 07:41 AM
I'm not able to buy a weightlifter protein shake but I had slim fast gave to me. You add milk to it. I was wondering if it's the same thing can I join if it is.

Eight ounces of milk has about 8 grams of protein. How many grams of protein are in the Slim Fast?

A protein powder generally has about 21-25 grams protein per serving.

My morning protein shake is 2 c whole raw milk, 2 servings unflavored whey protein powder, 1 tablespoon Ovaltine, supplying me with at least 65 grams protein to start my day. If I eat two eggs with it, then I'm up to almost 80 grams protein before I eat anything else for the day. It really stabilizes my blood sugar and gives me stamina. I can go for hours and hours on this breakfast, along with my vitamins and supplements.

jacqueline101
December 21st, 2013, 06:16 PM
Eight ounces of milk has about 8 grams of protein. How many grams of protein are in the Slim Fast?

A protein powder generally has about 21-25 grams protein per serving.

My morning protein shake is 2 c whole raw milk, 2 servings unflavored whey protein powder, 1 tablespoon Ovaltine, supplying me with at least 65 grams protein to start my day. If I eat two eggs with it, then I'm up to almost 80 grams protein before I eat anything else for the day. It really stabilizes my blood sugar and gives me stamina. I can go for hours and hours on this breakfast, along with my vitamins and supplements.

The one I have is 10g of protein but the high protein line has more. I'm not sure how much more the coupon in my can didn't say. The slim fast is twice a day. I also take every vitamin to man kind. I take the ones that aren't in my multi vitamin. If I do well on this I might try the high protein. Sorry it took so long for me to reply.

tigereye
December 22nd, 2013, 02:35 AM
I may try once I get back up north to my flat. My old flatmate bought a package and it's been sitting unopened in the cupboard since she moved out. (Apparently, she doesn't like vanilla, even though she bought it)
A word about protein-shakes from the science-student, though. Drink it slowly to get the biggest benefit - preferably over the course of the whole day, but spreading it over an hour is fine. The body will just try to get rid of it if you take in too much of anything at once (thats why vitamin C comes in huge quantities in tablets and why it turns your pee yellow) Protein shakes often have much higher recommendations than the RDA, because most athletes etc. that use them down it in one go, and only take in about 5-10% and turn it into usable material while the rest goes down the toilet. Your body can take in protein from foods more efficiently as things like chicken take a good while to digest and your body has more chance to absorb the protein over time.the liquid shakes pass through much more quickly, so you need to take it in at a slower pace to use it more effectively.

Aingeal
December 22nd, 2013, 05:51 AM
I may try once I get back up north to my flat. My old flatmate bought a package and it's been sitting unopened in the cupboard since she moved out. (Apparently, she doesn't like vanilla, even though she bought it)
A word about protein-shakes from the science-student, though. Drink it slowly to get the biggest benefit - preferably over the course of the whole day, but spreading it over an hour is fine. The body will just try to get rid of it if you take in too much of anything at once (thats why vitamin C comes in huge quantities in tablets and why it turns your pee yellow) Protein shakes often have much higher recommendations than the RDA, because most athletes etc. that use them down it in one go, and only take in about 5-10% and turn it into usable material while the rest goes down the toilet. Your body can take in protein from foods more efficiently as things like chicken take a good while to digest and your body has more chance to absorb the protein over time.the liquid shakes pass through much more quickly, so you need to take it in at a slower pace to use it more effectively.

Interesting! Thanks for the advice!

jacqueline101
December 22nd, 2013, 06:25 AM

I was wondering why I had issues with slim fast in the past even though it's not a protein shake. I was eating chicken and oatmeal everyday. I was doing a lot of the slim fast though.

pixldust
December 30th, 2013, 07:55 AM
A bit of a late reply but I just had to say what a great idea bunzfan. My fiance does weight training and there is nearly always a tub of protein in the cupboard. Can't believe my pitiful brain didn't make a connection! :rolleyes: I'm pretty sure my diet lacks in protein as I'm not hugely tolerant of dairy and if I eat too many eggs well...I'm sure I don't have to draw you a picture :D So, now I'm getting back on the healthy eating/exercise bandwagon after the excesses of Christmas, I'm gonna give this a go.

bryana
December 30th, 2013, 08:12 AM
So first month of comparison i haven't been able to drink them as much as i would like with Christmas and all and i've just run out i will start again Jan so out of the 4 weeks i have probably had i daily for about 3 weeks still some steady growth though.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/9927/5vw9.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/18/5vw9.jpg/)http://imageshack.us/a/img560/922/3wc2.jpg

bunzfan, amazing growth!! I am impressed!!! I am joining in on this thread. I've been drinking daily protein shakes for about the past month or so (bioTrust low carb). I started because I lift heavy weights but it just happens to coincide with the fact that I am on a hair growth journey as well! I'll start taking progress pics!! Excellent thread idea!

bryana
December 30th, 2013, 08:14 AM
I strength train and lift heavy weights. On bad days I usually get 100 grams of protein and on good days between 150-170 grams. I rarely supplement with protein powders.

I haven't noticed any difference in hair growth compared to when I ate lower protein (about 70-80 grams/day). It could make a difference for someone who eats even less protein than that and increases their intake...

ebikko - help a sister out!! I strength train and lft heavy weights myself and I know I'm not getting enough protein - even WITH a protein shake. What, if I may ask, does your diet consist of where you are able to get all tat protein. Any advice is welcome! :-)

swearnsue
December 30th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Bunzfan, that is great growth! I looked very closely and it looks to me like in the second photo your belt is a tiny bit lower than in the first photo.(Erring on the side of caution?) Sooo.... you actually have more growth than you think!

I'm impressed and ordered some whey protein online!

Good thread Bunzfan!

RedRavenCurls58
December 30th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Wow, your hair looks amazing, bunzfan! I'd like to join. Because I powerlift, I have to drink at least one protein shake a day. One scoop of the protein powder that I use has about 12 grams of protein. Back when I was drinking 3 protein shakes a day (36 grams of protein) my hair grew at least 2 inches a month. I think I'll have to go back to that routine.