PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Topic--Hastening White Hair!

Tlb2012
November 25th, 2013, 09:34 AM
I have never in the history of Internet come across anything on the web about someone wanting to go ahead and hasten their white, or grey/silver hair, for the purpose of having solid white hair! i want to do this. My hair has a pretty vivid shine when it is solid white, and if I could do this, I would never have to do my roots again! I am 32, but this is my decision. I have heard that "old" hair doesn't have as much shine/sheen, or softness, but I can do things to combat that. My love for platinum hair will never die, I fear. Sigh. Has anybody ever heard anything about this, things that can prematurely cause white hair, or any science behind hastening white hair? I know this sounds weird, but I'm curious. Please, no descriptions of how salt and pepper, gray, silver, or white hair comes about. Believe me. I've been reading plenty on that, but can never find answers on the other. Maybe there's a vitamin that hastens it? My intent is to tone, whiten, and be happy. My hair is dark brown, with virtually no grey in it. LOL. I am happy with my hair color, but I am also the type of girl who always wanted the light hair. I'm not gonna crawl in a hole and die if I can't do this, but I can be happy with both colors, just not together! I would have never posted this question had I found any info about it on the net. Any ideas would be appreciated.

lapushka
November 25th, 2013, 09:37 AM
To go from a dark brown to platinum, oh boy... that's gonna take a lot of bleach. And there's going to inevitably be damage. I can't imagine wanting to go platinum/white, but to each their own, I guess. :shrug: :D

Tlb2012
November 25th, 2013, 09:56 AM
To go from a dark brown to platinum, oh boy... that's gonna take a lot of bleach. And there's going to inevitably be damage. I can't imagine wanting to go platinum/white, but to each their own, I guess. :shrug: :D

No, I meant without bleach! That's what so weird about this topic, but I have no way of knowing if anybody else has ever asked this question to their dermatologist, or whatnot. I am talking about going premature white all over my hair. If there are vitamins that will bring dark hair back, there's got to be a way to HASTEN white natural depigmentation of hair! I have bleached my hair several times to white, and I hated the roots, which were to be expected. It also fried the heck out of my hair!

Madora
November 25th, 2013, 09:56 AM
The only instance I read about..of hair changing overnight to pure white, were soldiers in horrific combat situations.

If you want the pure white color, then it will have to be via artificial means.

tetisheri72
November 25th, 2013, 09:58 AM
My hair is dark brown, and I'm starting to see silver. They aren't grey, they are silver. It's the one good genetic thing I got from my dad, was that I didn't start greying until I was almost 40, and they are nice and silver. When they fully come in, it will be nice, I think. Until then, I'm slowly starting to be salt and pepper.

Anje
November 25th, 2013, 12:07 PM
I personally advise graduate school for people who want to hasten gray hair.

Children are also reputed to speed the process, but I wouldn't recommend having them for their hair-coloring properties alone. XD

Addy
November 25th, 2013, 02:17 PM
My husband whitened mine considerably this past summer with a horrific motorcycle accident, massive head trauma, a 6 week pass to his very own plastic surgeon, several brain bleeds and brain surgery.

Not my idea of a day at the spa or a lil pill in a bottle to hasten silvering hair.

lapushka
November 25th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Yeah, by natural means? Not gonna happen! Pretty much a myth if you ask me.

gingerclip
November 25th, 2013, 02:25 PM

Children are also reputed to speed the process, but I wouldn't recommend having them for their hair-coloring properties alone. XD

I have to ditto these. Law school really added to my grey hair over a three year period. And when I was pregnant I got a large chunk of grey hair all at once.

Tini'sNewHair
November 25th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Sorry im no help either but i found it funny when i read comments about children doing the job ... I have a few strands of white hair and i got them as soon as i had children and im only 26 :o :)) So it can work but yeah, i wouldnt do all that work just to get a couple of white hairs :))

sumidha
November 25th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Massive stress and emotional trauma. I recommend becoming the full time caregiver for family members with terminal illnesses. More than one, if possible.

Applegirl84
November 25th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Kids for sure. I found my first silvers just after my twins were born ... and I was only 27!

tetisheri72
November 25th, 2013, 04:02 PM
My son was born with grey hair. He and I have about the same amount.

Nadine <3
November 25th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Though just remember stress and emotional trauma doesnt always do it. I've been through the ringer the last few years and my hair is not grey yet. I've never found even one. I got my dads har though, and he didnt get his first grey till he hit 50. My mom started to grey when she was 15 lol

woodswanderer
November 25th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Go work at an elementary school. :cool: I sort of doubt your hair will go the platinum you want. I thought that happened to people with lighter hair color...you may go silver. My white hair is platinum, but my hair color is light brown with red and blond mixed in.

swearnsue
November 25th, 2013, 06:23 PM
ROFL ! Kids, teaching school, caregiving! I'll add marry my 2nd husband for a week or two!

Kaelee
November 25th, 2013, 06:36 PM

:spitting: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

I have no advice but this made me laugh out loud. ;)

patienceneeded
November 25th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Teach 8th grade and watch the white hairs appear!

trolleypup
November 25th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Drive big city transit, works lots of overtime on exclusively bad lines. Good lines and no overtime got me about 5%

Kaelee
November 25th, 2013, 10:06 PM
In San Francisco, I can imagine!!! Still I'll take SF any day over NYC...I hate driving there just by myself, I would hate having to drive the bus or, God forbid, taxi in NYC! :couch:

MandyBeth
November 25th, 2013, 11:52 PM
I started with silvering out around 12. Genetics on both parents. However, in Mom's family, 12-13 is when hair goes to switch natural colors - I went from dark brown to the 6N which is lightening to a 7.5NA due to amount of graying I have. Sister went from pale blonde (9.5A range) to 4N. Which is actually hilarious. We look very, very similar and same coloring - but anything lighter than 5 is absolutely horrid and ugly on me, but sister is washed out darker than 6, in her 4 (which is probably more in the 2-3 range due to graying) range, she looks worse than a corpse. As for how close we look, we had purple dresses for a wedding, we both looked a million bucks in the same color. But, sister is a Light Summer, I'm a Deep (Ice Cold) Winter. So our colors have a good deal of overlapping, and I can wear her colors and be pretty, she can do that with some of mine, except for my beloved black clothes as she can wear an immaculate black, CEO professional suit and she looks like a Kinderw**** (Babes In Toyland, Courtney Love) who is baby batting to Kindergoth (Jeordie White in his first Marilyn Manson run), so really bad on her.

SamEatsBrains
November 26th, 2013, 04:26 AM
No, I meant without bleach! That's what so weird about this topic, but I have no way of knowing if anybody else has ever asked this question to their dermatologist, or whatnot. I am talking about going premature white all over my hair. If there are vitamins that will bring dark hair back, there's got to be a way to HASTEN white natural depigmentation of hair! I have bleached my hair several times to white, and I hated the roots, which were to be expected. It also fried the heck out of my hair!

The reason there are vitamins that can (somewhat in some cases) cause re-pigmentation of the hair is because age-related graying is sometimes caused by nutritional deficiencies common in aging people, premature graying can be caused by a lack of certain vitamins and thus can be remedied by adding those vitamins back. As we age, catalase production in the body decreases, causing hydrogen peroxide to build up in the hair follicle and bleach the hair colorless. Voila, gray hair. While it may be possible (but not by any means I know) to decrease your catalase prematurely and gray your hair....I wouldn't recommend it. It wouldn't be just your hair you'd be tinkering with....catalase is vital to the body. You'd be aging yourself more than in just visible ways! You'd be throwing your entire body out of whack! I say be happy with your hair color, or accept the damage that comes with bleaching!

SamEatsBrains
November 26th, 2013, 04:29 AM
MandyBeth, Are you very knowledgeable about color seasons? I'm curious about mine.

shutterpillar
November 26th, 2013, 05:24 AM
I have a distant cousin who has had white hair since he was a teenager. His hair is now mostly white and I think he is in his 30's. The only cause of that was genetics, and even then it took years to get his mostly white hair - like I said, it began when he was a child and had mostly white by the time he was a teenager.
I don't think there is going to be any way you can go from dark brown to stark white naturally over the course of a very short period of time. I don't think it's going to happen if you don't have the genome for it. You're just gonna have to go gracefully like the rest of us.

Tlb2012
November 26th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Ok, I see. I thank you all for your replies! Like I said, it was just something I'd never heard mentioned very often, and now I see why. It's all up to stress and genetics, i definitely don't want the stress part. I can imagine how certain situations would whiten it, but I would never want to go through all that. All along I have wanted long, wavy hair my natural color, which is dark brown. I used to bleach it to platinum whenever it wouldn't grow so it wouldn't have that short, dark look I hate, and it could be glam looking, but I damaged my hair really bad from all the times I did it. Seems like two pixies later, I'd have learned my lesson!

Redvelvetdragon
November 26th, 2013, 12:03 PM
I have always wanted some shocks of white in my dark hair. Now I'm starting to grow some in! Right at my temples, just like my grandpa. And it's snow white too. I'm also 47 so the age thing factors in. But all the rest of my hair is black.

My husband, when he was a kid, was playing with another kid. The other kid got mad at him and stormed off, tossing a rock behind him over his shoulder. It hit my hubby in the back of the head and he had to go get stitches. Well, shortly after that, that spot ended up growing in snow white. So he has a white spot on the back of the head. He's sometimes self conscious about it. He said that it's cool to have the spot, he just wished it was in a more attractive area on his head, haha.

seaj
November 26th, 2013, 04:09 PM
I have actually thought of this because of my obsession with Kristen McMenamy. No one in my family is anywhere near solid white/gray.

Have you heard of freeze branding? They do that to livestock. Instead of a hot iron, and super chilled one is applied to the shaved skin of the animal. The cold kills the cells that produce pigment so the hair grows back white. If applied for a longer time, the cold iron kills the follicles and no hair grows back.

If you could somehow get hydrogen peroxide to build up in your follicles, that should work too. You would have to find a way to reduce certain enzymes that break up the built up hydrogen peroxide that causes gray hair.

Of course you can always wear a wig. I have thought of shaving my head and investing in a custom made white/gray full-lace wig, but they are expensive. The white/gray hair can be sourced from India, though bleach is also an option. Being bald isn't necessary, but it does make application easier.