PDA

View Full Version : henna gloss for roots or no?

mamaherrera
November 24th, 2013, 09:59 PM
I do weekly henna treatments just on those white areas, in temples, mainly. but like today for example, my scalp is irritated, dried out I think from the manipulation and the henna/tea, whatever. . . so I'm trying to ignore this little irritated spot, but anyways. . . . I have thought about doing henna glosses, so it wouldn't be so hard to rinse out and perhaps would be less irritating (although I wonder too, as my scalp is very sensitive to conditioner, so maybe it's not a good idea), but do henna glosses get a deep enough red to stubborn white roots?? If not, I'd rather do my two hour full henna and get a good color, than to waste henna in conditioner and leave it on for an hour and get a strawberry blonde, because my hair is dark so I don't want super light red roots. Just wondering from others that do them on white hair.

Libbylou
November 26th, 2013, 04:32 AM
Sitting here with my head wrapped in plastic with a gloss on. I usually do a gloss about ever month to 6 weeks. It seems to be coloring my silvers much easier than the full treatment(which only was done once). I concentrate the gloss on the roots and then put more conditioner on the length and kind of smooch it altogether. I use henna maiden light brown color. The silvers due tend to be a copper color.

browneyedsusan
November 26th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Henna glosses color my grays just fine. I use 1/3 henna to 2/3 condish--more or less henna depending on what I've got and how much my roots are bugging me. Also 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum (available in the gluten-free section of the grocery store, sometimes it's in the baking aisle) to thicken it up or it drips horribly. I rinse alternating shampoo lathers with condish lathers. The shampoo cuts the xanthan gum, and the condish cuts everything else. This has been working fine for me, but I don't like my henna really dark. My hair is medium ash brown with gray temples. My temples are bright copper, and the rest is medium auburn from henna.

Your irritated scalp gives me pause, though. Henna dries my scalp, and I could never tolerate weekly hennas. I wonder if the henna is a contributor, rather than the condish you're rinsing with? Just a thought. :)

Hairitic
November 28th, 2013, 07:18 AM
I use full treatments and glosses interchangeably and notice no difference in the color results. I use Red Raj Henna from Henna Sooq.

mamaherrera
December 6th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Really?? I could sure use some instructions on how to do a henna gloss? Is it henna, already dye-released??? And then mix with conditioner??? Since my scalp has SD, and conditioner makes it flake, should I always then rinse out with a shampoo????

browneyedsusan
December 6th, 2013, 02:44 PM
I've had lighter staining with glosses sometimes, probably when I use a tablespoon of henna and leave it on for just an hour!

I use dye released henna and mix with condish (plus 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum to thicken it up). I wisk this all together in a bowl, transfer to my bottle, and squirt it on my roots. If you're sensitive to condish, you might be able to dilute henna with something else? I wonder if just water and xanthan gum would do it? hmmm....