PDA

View Full Version : Fixing damage

deltadeliquent
November 24th, 2013, 07:18 PM
I have been alone for a few days now, the ol' hubby away on business... Been playing with my hair. Bleach.
( bad idea!)
Now I have some damage, areas that are gummy and very stretchy.
What will help this? Protein filler?

Next time? I'm gonna rearrange the furniture around instead. That can always be put back.

Kaelee
November 24th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Yep. Protein will restore some of it.

Unfortunately, you can't undo what's been done. :( But protein will definitely help. Joico K pak is often recommended.

Islandgrrl
November 24th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Agreed....you can try protein, but the damage is not going to go away. You just have to wait it out and eventually trim it off.

Bruiser
November 24th, 2013, 07:44 PM
I've been there, protein helped I used k pak and had to use cones after every wash, but I ended up chopping it all off after a couple weeks.

Sillage
November 24th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Agreeing with the recs for protein. It can help a lot. The Joico K Pak that Kaelee mentioned or it's knock off at Sally's is terrific and easy to use. A more intense protein treatment is ApHogee 2 Step but it's more time consuming and messy. It does however give amazing results and would be my first choice, personally.

goldenlady
November 25th, 2013, 06:51 AM
This happened to me a few years back.. I bleached.. I permed! :O... Anyway I slept in aussie 3 min miracle reconstructor a few nights and it really improved it... It's widely available in the UK and often quite cheap (3 for £10 in boots/Morrisons ect :). I'd recommend oiling too. My hair loves olive oil.

deltadeliquent
November 25th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Thanks, everybody.
Protein it is!

bunzfan
November 25th, 2013, 11:25 AM
You could use the gelatin one its dirt cheap meant to be as good as the ApHogee 2 Step

http://youtu.be/Kil3NY6zoM4

Sillage
November 25th, 2013, 04:06 PM
BunzFan, I didn't watch the video so I don't know what recipe they are using but even just plain gelatin is supposed to work and like you said its much cheaper than the ApHogee 2 Step. Additionally, gelatin doesn't smell bad like 2 Step does (for those of you wondering 2 Step smells like rotten cocobutter). I can't comment on weather the results are exactly the same, never having done gelatin, but it does seem like a good alternative.

jeanniet
November 25th, 2013, 04:56 PM
The gelatin one works very nicely. You could also check your local beauty supply shop for a neutral protein filler (here I get Colorful NPF). It's more expensive than gelatin, of course, but quicker to use, and you can mix with your conditioner, leave in, etc.

chen bao jun
November 25th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Be sure to keep it up religiously. and also you can wash in plaits, be very very gentle.
Sally no longer sells the Joico knock-off, btw

Sillage
November 25th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Jeanniet I forgot all about Colorful NPF! I've got a bottle and it's great stuff (and no bad smell).

EDIT: Chen you're kidding me! that was great great stuff :(

endlessly
November 25th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Protein and deep conditioning will definitely help to smooth out some of the damage, but they won't repair it completely. I attempted (*key word "attempted") to do the ombre look about one year ago and trust me, very bad idea! My ends suffered the most from bleach and I had the same results you had. The only thing that helped was lots and lots of deep conditioning masques, leave-in treatments, and oils! But, ultimately, I ended up having to cut four inches in length to prevent any further damage. Hopefully, if you treat your hair with enough TLC, it will recover. Best of luck! :)

Sillage
November 25th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Chen, good news-- they still sell the GVP K-Pak knock off online (http://www.sallybeauty.com/hair-reconstructor/SBS-264022,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair02) at least :)

And here's the Colorful NPF (http://www.sallybeauty.com/protein-filler/SBS-636100,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH) for those interested.

Firefox7275
November 26th, 2013, 04:37 AM
Hydrolysed protein initially, then add in coconut oil soaks on dry hair, leave in products containing ceramides, 18-MEA, panthenol. this is all patching tho, hair is dead so cannot be repaired. Next time run strand tests on shed plug hole hair.

LoveBunny
December 3rd, 2013, 10:50 PM
I've researched Dudley's DRC 28 a bit. People are saying it's a bit more heavy duty than Aphogee's two step. I haven't taken the plunge and ordered any yet. I've used Aphogee's for years and like it a lot. But I want to go lighter, and feel like I might need the DRC 28.

I think it can be found in various beauty supply stores, not Sally's, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Dudleys-Treatment-Forifier-Triple-Benefit/dp/B000W9TVMM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=8NYUKIBM99X4&coliid=I32RGXPWQKE703