PDA

View Full Version : Lozoņa

Pierre
November 24th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Some lady at church asked me about my colored nails and hair. I told her it's alheņa, which she never heard of. So I told her it's Lawsonia. "Lozoņa? What's its real name?" she answered. I explained that that's the scientific name, and it's called "alheņa" in Spanish and "henna" in English. Her first language is Spanish, but she first heard of henna in English.

TiaKitty
November 24th, 2013, 07:10 AM
There's a brand of henna called Logona, to add to the confusion!

niky45
November 24th, 2013, 12:27 PM
... here in spain, I always called it henna... although for me it was the black thing of temporary tattoos. :p (of course, that's until I discovered about true henna... )

I haven't ever heard the word **alheņa** :confused:

DweamGoiL
November 29th, 2013, 09:33 PM
The word alheņa is an actual word and the correct noun according to the Real Academia Espaņola, but Lozoņa is not. It is most likely a colloquialism from wherever the OP hails from. Calling it henna is an Anglicism, but most likely much more popular than its proper name. I am Spanish West Indian and that is what we know it as, as well.

Valkyriejae
November 29th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Alheņa is a spanish word with an arabic root: alheņa = al hinna = the henna.
It all comes from the same place, linguistically.

Lozoņa doesn't seem to be a colloquialism, it's just the way to spell the word lawsonia as pronounced by an english speaker/understood by a spanish speaker - I think Pierre was just trying to convey that the person didn't recognize the word lawsonia.