PDA

View Full Version : George Michael Experience (w/pics)

Michiru
November 23rd, 2013, 10:01 PM
Ok, so today was my appointment. I honestly have mixed feelings. After getting my robe the women washed my hair with the blue shampoo that I have brought before. After that the cream rinse (light conditioner) was put on. When the washing was done I think the 12 min conditioner was put on all over the hair and wrapped up in wax paper. I was put under a heating cap for an hour (maybe 1.5?) where I was given information on hair care and their business. Basically every time they were mentioned in a magazine it was added to the reading material. When the timer went off my hair was washed again and put up in curlers to dry. My hair was dried under another heater for 35 minutes. As for the actual cut there was about an inch she wanted to take off because of damage which took about a minute to do. After I stood up she remember that she forgot the splits and had me sit back down. She would twist the hair into tiny rope pieces so the ends stuck up and had the scissors glide down. That also took less then a minute.

While it was good that very little was taken off the whole thing seemed like something that I could do at home. I have bought their products in the past all I would need would be a heat cap and wax paper. It's weird being in there since there are no hair dryers hence there is no noise so there were 3 women sitting in different chairs not talking. I still had splits when I left. Not as many or as bad as it was when I came in but there were still some. My hair also felt the same as if I washed it and let it dry in the sun. If I go to bed right after I shower my hair is actually softer.
I think I was the last person of the day since there was another women (looked like a spa lady) waiting for me to leave so they could go do something. It felt a bit rushed. She suggested coming in every 2 months to get upkeep done. I had to ask what the prices were and it seemed like a question she didn't get often. I guess she's use to dealing with people who have enough money where whatever the cost would be wouldn't be a problem. It was an awkward moment.

There was a client that had very nice hair, about hip, very shiny and strong looking, and she said that that is what happens when hair gets to all one length.

Overall I think I will go back, just not at that frequent. Maybe once or twice a year until I start making more money. I might just buy the 12 min conditioner and a heat cap and sit under it at home. I also need to find a good pare of scissors to do my own S&D. I'm thinking mustache scissors will work good.

Anyway, here is the after picture. I forgot to do before pictures and tried to do them in the bathroom but you really can't see the ends so I didn't include those. You can't tell from the robe but my hair is now reaching my pant line. You can see where I last had hair color done. I mentioned henna and how I was thinking about putting some on the ends to strengthen the roots but she said that wasn't good to do. Sorry about being sideways. I don't know how to fix that.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7722&d=1385269760

(why aren't my pic showing up?)
(never mind)

GrowingGlory
November 23rd, 2013, 10:28 PM
Your hair looks good. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

kidari
November 23rd, 2013, 10:35 PM
I really appreciated reading your very honest and thorough experience. Pretty much every experience I've read on here has been nothing but raves. It's crazy how you can see the distinct area where your hair was last chemically dyed. Lovely hair and amazing length!

SongofLove
November 23rd, 2013, 10:35 PM
Thank you for the honest, detailed review! Your hair looks gorgeous :inlove:

I live not too far from the Beverly Hills GM location and have been on the fence about trying it out. I know a lot of people who love the experience and find it worth every penny, and I don't doubt that it is, but I like to do things myself and I'd probably rather invest the money in a nice pair of scissors for self S&D.

Kaelee
November 23rd, 2013, 10:59 PM
I've never been to or used anything from GM, but I will say haircutting scissors are not necessarily expensive (they're available at Sally's or drug stores, even grocery stores here. Mine were about $10) I highly recommend buying a pair of haircutting scissors (which will be sharper and have a different blade angle (I think) than regular scissors) and ONLY use them for hair.

Michiru
November 23rd, 2013, 11:18 PM
I've bought hair scissors at target before but I never felt they were sharp enough and I was worried more splits would show up again soon. My dad has mustache scissors which is why I'm thinking of getting one of those.

gnome82
November 24th, 2013, 01:24 AM
Thank You for sharing, I don't think I will make it to one of their salons. Your hair looks lovely.

Madora
November 24th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Thanks for your report, Michiru! Your hair looks lovely!

Don't be concerned about being asked to come back for touchups. That's just the standard follow up procedure they like to suggest. They asked me too, until I explained that I lived on the opposite coast! I love the GM salon!

Michiru
November 24th, 2013, 02:23 PM
I'll be honest. When I saw you name Madora I thought someone from the salon read this and posted. I was a bit nervous to read it.

Kaelee
November 24th, 2013, 02:32 PM
I'll be honest. When I saw you name Madora I thought someone from the salon read this and posted. I was a bit nervous to read it.

:laugh: Madora has been around here for a while...she's awesome! ;)

leslissocool
November 24th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Even if they did, you didn't write anything that could ever get you in trouble (but a GM person debating could be against the rules).

I lived close to the GM in beverly hills too, but I moved very far away :lol: and I never had the money to spend on it. Now I'm planning a trip to see family and friends and hopefully go there when my hair gets to my goal.

I've always had mixed feeling about their hair advice, BBB's hate my hair with a passion and split it but their products I believe to be one of the best I've ever tried, and regarding one length I do think there is something to their advice, not that it's actually healthier ect but the look of it is definitively different than layers (I got rid of my layers recently and my hair down definitively pops now). I also like their way of trimming which is what I do at home.

Thanks for sharing! One of my goals is to have a knee length picture of my long hair in one of their chairs :lol:. Then I could cut or die happy LOL.

Lostsoule77
November 24th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Thanks for sharing! It is a unique place.

Madora
November 24th, 2013, 03:23 PM

No worries, Michiru! I took my "name" after "Madora", in real life, Ms. Maria Mattarazzo, who was Dr Michael's long time directrice of his NYC salon. She purchased the salon from him several years ago, and passed away not too long ago. She was a lovely lady who was most gracious to her clientele.

@Kaelee ... you are sweet! Thank you!

AmyBeth
November 25th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Your hair looks so silky I can almost feel it! I've never been to a GM salon, but I feel in my bones that I will someday.:) Just to get some hair pampering in an atmosphere where no one is going to try to persuade me to cut, razor, chop, backcomb, blow dry, flat iron or use hair spray would be lovely.

~honeyflower~
November 25th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Your hair looks very pretty in the photo :D

Thanks for sharing your story with us.

chen bao jun
November 25th, 2013, 05:07 PM
You can buy great haircutting scissors at Sally's for about $10

swearnsue
November 25th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Your hair looks so soft and shiny, very beautiful!

They twisted your hair into a rope and did what with the scissors to cut the split ends? I haven't heard of this, I hope they didn't rub the scissors against your hair? Probably not.

Madora
November 25th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Your hair looks so soft and shiny, very beautiful!

They twisted your hair into a rope and did what with the scissors to cut the split ends? I haven't heard of this, I hope they didn't rub the scissors against your hair? Probably not.

The stylist takes very thin strands of hair (think pencil thin or less), and twists it gently all the way down. Then she holds the "rope" at an angle, and looking carefully, snips off any split ends that pop up out of the tiny twist. Very time consuming but the splits are dealt with and no length is damaged. The ends ARE cut..slightly..but nothing to be concerned about.

Michiru
November 26th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Yeah, what she said. I was trying to find a good way to explain it. I guess I just have very thin hair so mine didn't take long. It's also very fine so it's easy to miss many of them.

Thank you everyone who complemented. :o

Michiru
November 26th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Ugg extra post.