PDA

View Full Version : Chopped it all off! Why I did it & how I feel about it now +pics!

bunnylake
November 23rd, 2013, 08:36 PM
For the past several months I've been going back and forth with the idea of cutting my TBL hair. I posted about it here once, actually. I'd get the itch and let it pass, but it would come back again over and over. I found so many short styles I loved, but I was always too afraid to go for it. Over time I began to attach a lot of negative feelings to my long hair... I am not sure why. It made me feel strangely competitive with other women, and I felt that it was the only thing that made me special or attractive. I felt trapped by it, focused on it too much when other areas of my life need attention, and I "hid" underneath it. I still love super long hair, and I will always appreciate the patience and care it takes to grow and maintain it, but I needed to let mine go for now.
My sister is a stylist so I went to her salon for my cut. I trust her 100%, she's super talented and she does my hair for free! Win win. She squeezed me in this afternoon for a long layered bob and wispy bangs. I was so nervous my heart was pounding as she washed my hair, but as soon as she made the first snip I felt relieved. I thought I was going to cry, but instead I was elated. I never measured so I don't know how many inches were cut off, but pretty much the entire length of my back worth of hair is gone. She said she could feel the hair spring up as the heavy length was cut off, and my hair looks much much fuller and voluminous now. She blew it out for me, but I still won't be using the blow fryer myself too regularly. She used Aveda products which I'd never tried before. That rosemary mint shampoo is awesome. I might just have to buy some when I run out what I'm currently using.
I love it and I don't regret it one bit. No careful braiding before bed, no more taking half a day to air dry, and I'll only need 1/2 a box of henna. Since I'm going to maintain this short 'do for a while, I can worry a little less about a few splits here and there. Woo! It's so nice to have completely fresh ends. Plus, much of the length was bleached and box dyed years and years ago, so it's cool to have mostly virgin (aside from henna) hair for the first time in over a decade.

Maybe I'll grow it long again someday, but for now I'll just be the shorty hanging around all the long hairs on LHC ;) More pics tomorrow! I'm excited to see how it looks after I wash it and let it air dry.

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1471367_390593951074314_1146219669_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1471993_390593947740981_1926769495_n.jpg

I feel so light and free!

Maybe
November 23rd, 2013, 08:39 PM
It looks adorable on you!

Almendra
November 23rd, 2013, 08:41 PM
You look very cute :)
I've seen pictures of you before and even when long hair and no bangs looks very good on you, I think this suits you better. You have a very pretty face and this haircut make an awesome frame for it.

Kaelee
November 23rd, 2013, 09:08 PM
It looks great! Congrats! I'm so glad you're happy with it, and it really looks fantastic on you.

I rocked a shag for a while and I loved it too! I've had between chin and somewhere around shoulder hair for most of my life, so I was really bored with that length of hair though. :lol:

longhairedlady
November 23rd, 2013, 09:09 PM
You look great!

LadyDedlock
November 23rd, 2013, 09:14 PM
Lovely and I am glad you finally took the plunge and won :D

GrowingGlory
November 23rd, 2013, 09:35 PM
Looks good!

Crumpet
November 23rd, 2013, 09:37 PM
Absolutely gorgeous! I agree -- your sister is very talented.

I think it was Spidermom who said that sometimes you regret the things you don't do as much as the things you do. I'm glad you took the plunge and that you are happy. It sounds like the timing was right for you.

maborosi
November 23rd, 2013, 09:41 PM
That is a really pretty cut- it's extremely flattering on you!!

:D

~maborosi~

intanet
November 23rd, 2013, 09:48 PM
OMG girl! Do I relate to what you said here! Me too. I used to hide behind my hair too. And also, so much of who I was and also my sense of my beauty was wrapped up in having long hair. I was actually afraid to cut it for years, as if I might experience a loss of love from some people around me. (Well, it turns out that, I actually did, but that was their problem, not mine. Geez. Could you imagine being loved for your hair???)

Anyhow, I cut it because of my nape hair that just would not grow. It was like that for years making the hair that grew over it look thin and stringy. Had to cut off about 7 inches off the bottom to equal it out with the nape hair and my hair grows very slowly so it was pretty painful to do that but I am loving the freedom and exhilaration I experienced from overcoming a fear.

I started to treat the nape hair with Castor oil mixed with avocado oil (both touted as being good for hair growth). Messy business but I'll keep it up for a while since some Youtubers have reported some good results with their nape hair growth.

BTW, your cut looks so light and breezy. I'm sure you're gonna (continue to) love it!

restless
November 23rd, 2013, 10:32 PM
You look great, its a very pretty hair style :) Sometimes we just need a change and if you ever want long hair again it´ll grow back.

julee
November 23rd, 2013, 10:39 PM
Looks fantastic!! The style really suits you.

SongofLove
November 23rd, 2013, 10:42 PM
You're beautiful and your hair looks amazing :inlove:

Katrine
November 23rd, 2013, 10:51 PM
You look great with your new 'do. I wore a similar style years ago for quite awhile. I really enjoyed it - it was easy to manage and really versatile. Have fun! :)

0xalis
November 24th, 2013, 01:19 AM
Lookin' good! You still have longer hair than me! :lol:

martyna_22
November 24th, 2013, 03:51 AM
You look really stunning! Congratulations on your decision!

Colourful
November 24th, 2013, 05:20 AM
I believe it took a great deal of bravery to finally do that and the result is worth it! I am glad for you! Short hair looks absolutely fabulous on you! :)

höpönasu
November 24th, 2013, 05:52 AM
So pretty! I remember when I've had my not so dramatic cut to collarbone or a bit more and it feels great! It still has length in it but also an awesome free feeling.

RedNymph
November 24th, 2013, 06:10 AM
Great haircut and suits you!

lapushka
November 24th, 2013, 06:39 AM
I like how it's not too-too short! It looks really nice on you! :D

ErinLeigh
November 24th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Your hair looks stunning. Full and bouncy just light. It is still considered long by today's standards as well so it's win/win.
I understand the feeling of relief when cutting hair. Sometimes it is just needed. Once I get over initial anxiety of sitting in a stylist chair I actually feel relief and joy seeing the old ends fall to the floor.

Congratulations on your bravery. Hair is something we become very attached to so in a way it shows a great independence and maturity to be able to "let go."

Coolcombination
November 24th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Wow what is your thickness? With the new cut your hair looks like its at least 4"!

savfairy
November 24th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Wow, it suits you so much. You are a gorgeous girl! I'm glad you are enjoying the new 'do. :)

bunnylake
November 24th, 2013, 10:18 AM
The time it takes for me to get ready to go out is nearly cut in half! I didn't feel like I needed any conditioner in the shower at all but I used a little bit anyway. All the layers make it virtually tangle free. I slept with it loose and had no tangles when I woke up, and I could run my fingers through it even in the shower after I shampooed. Cool!

Thanks everyone :)

Annibelle
November 24th, 2013, 10:27 AM
I've been itching to cut, too! You look good! I'm so glad to hear a nice hair cutting story. :) I'm going for SL in the next few weeks, and if I still want really short hair, I might go for pixie in the summer! :)

Skade
November 24th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Good for you bunnylake, taking the plunge. Sometimes it just feels right to cut it. It looks great on you and it really sounds like you feel more free.

jacqueline101
November 24th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Your hair looks great. I'm glad you're happy with your new hair cut.

slyviolet
November 24th, 2013, 12:56 PM
That new cut is so beautiful on you! You must feel like you're walking on air with the weight of the long hair off, I remember the last time I cut my long hair off, my head felt so light and I was thrilled by the *swish* of shorter hair. Congratulations on taking the plunge!

Tini'sNewHair
November 24th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Congrats :)

oktobergoud
November 24th, 2013, 03:44 PM
It looks really good! :D

makeminea99
November 24th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Looking good with your new hair, bunnylake! :)

HintOfMint
November 25th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Your hair looks lovely! And it's great that you realized that your attachment to your long hair wasn't making you happy and decided to do something about it. Not all attachments are healthy and it really does take perspective and maturity to separate yourself from the unhealthy ones. Good for you!

AmyBeth
November 25th, 2013, 11:22 AM
That's a beautiful cut and it looks gorgeous on you. That was quite a leap of faith, to go from TB all the way up there! I'm happy that you're happy!

bunnylake
December 13th, 2013, 03:10 PM
I had my sister cut it more and now I have a proper short bob :) I love it!
I had her cut it again because the ends on the right side kept flipping outward, so half my head looked like a 60's sitcom mom or something. :( Her boss showed her a few cutting techniques that he thought would help it to not flip out again.... but I washed and air dried it this morning and those flippy ends are back. :doh:
I went out and bought a good round brush so I can blow dry it to curl underneath. It looks great styled, but of course now I'm worried about causing damage since I will have to heat style it more often now. Does anyone have any other ideas? I thought maybe more henna treatments might straighten out those pesky flippies...?
I guess this is what people mean when they said short hair is sometimes harder to maintain. I still love it though.

Here it is
https://31.media.tumblr.com/bbf84b7c3700dca1b4a4f7f0006d5475/tumblr_mxq8nmACaQ1shs25ko1_500.jpg

lapushka
December 13th, 2013, 03:17 PM
It's normal for hair to flip or curl outward like that. That's why usually it's nice to blowdry and style it at those "flippy ends" stages. It's not called an awkward length for no reason. ;)

bunnylake
December 13th, 2013, 03:21 PM
It's normal for hair to flip or curl outward like that. That's why usually it's nice to blowdry and style it at those "flippy ends" stages. It's not called an awkward length for no reason. ;)

I guess you're right, haha. I just remember having hair this short in the past without flippy ends? I dunno why it's happening now, but now then. Oh well. I wonder if it's true that you can "train" your hair to go a certain way... anyone know?

xo

afu
December 13th, 2013, 03:32 PM
If you blow dry on the cool setting you should have the best of both worlds, that's what I do with my full blunt fringe. The fringe really suits you, incredibly flattering :)

PurplePenguin
December 13th, 2013, 03:36 PM
It looks really nice bunnylake. I am a shorty that hangs out with the long hairs of LHC as well. I don't have many tips on how to get your hair not to flip though as my hair is much shorter than yours and still does not behave, at all. Maybe a little bit of oil (I like argon oil) and a good bristle brush will do the trick without heat? Sometimes I can get my hair to be nice to me using that method. :shrug: Other than that if my hair simply won't behave I just throw a hat on it, which I don't think is a good option for you. Sorry. It looks really great though!

tbonita
December 13th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Wow congrats you look gorgeous!! I just did a big chop and am growing out a pixie now, but was NOwhere near TB!! More like APL or so. It feels so free! I want long hair; I cut mine for color/indigo disaster/blackness/damage reasons etc (lol). I'm so happy you feel great cause you sure look great. My hair was around that length you have now (the new length) for the majority of my 20s/early 30s, and I just embraced my flips haha. I have kinda 1b/1c hair I think - I've never *officially* typed it when it was longer, but I just thought of the 'flips' as my 'wave'. You certainly can train your hair to do what you want though... I've gone from blunt to sideswept bangs countless times and my hair eventually just 'goes' that way :) Good luck and you made a great choice for you.. You sound really happy with it!

betsb
December 13th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Wow, that is a really super cute style on you. I'm where you were, time for a change. Hair is WL, longest its ever been, but it is so getting in the way that I braid it most of the time. Have an appt to get it cut next week and plan to donate it, so that means at least 12 inches, unless I end up changing my mind at the last minute. I'm not specifically attached to it, but it did take a long time to get to this place.

0xalis
December 13th, 2013, 11:06 PM
That is SUPER cute! Gosh you people need to stop making me want to cut my hair again ;; All these people and their cute bobs. :p

ErinLeigh
December 13th, 2013, 11:51 PM
I had my sister cut it more and now I have a proper short bob :) I love it!
I had her cut it again because the ends on the right side kept flipping outward, so half my head looked like a 60's sitcom mom or something. :( Her boss showed her a few cutting techniques that he thought would help it to not flip out again.... but I washed and air dried it this morning and those flippy ends are back. :doh:
I went out and bought a good round brush so I can blow dry it to curl underneath. It looks great styled, but of course now I'm worried about causing damage since I will have to heat style it more often now. Does anyone have any other ideas? I thought maybe more henna treatments might straighten out those pesky flippies...?
I guess this is what people mean when they said short hair is sometimes harder to maintain. I still love it though.

Here it is
https://31.media.tumblr.com/bbf84b7c3700dca1b4a4f7f0006d5475/tumblr_mxq8nmACaQ1shs25ko1_500.jpg
You look amazing. As far as blow drying...yes it will start to train to go the way you want it.
It takes a few weeks tho. If you use a heat protectant and blow dry 6 inches away and on warm/cool alternating it won't be so bad. I do it and my hair really withstands. Also, when I can I let it mostly air dry and then use the round brush. It sets in seconds at that point so I don't thjnk its doing any more damage than a day outside really. I may be wrong but I've been doing this a really long time with no issue. A few ways i try and slow down or help this damage issue is to put some hemp or grapeseed oil twice a week at night. It has a good amount of ceramides that seem to help a lot.

your hair is probably super light and healthy and soft. It makes it harder to get that weight to hold tips down. I woukd suggest some oils to give the ends weight when needed. Sometimes a drop or 2 coconut or jojoba give my ends the weight they need to stay put. I have a ton of wispy layers and it is challenging at times but it gets better every day as the hair is now figuring out where I want it to go.

It looks to me if you mostly air dry and follow up with a quick blow dry with round brush you can be styled to your preference in a few minutes. Also second day hair, spritzed lightly with water then round brushed will have a better weight to it.

Oh. Shampoos. Loreal Eversleek is cone free and sulfate free. That is a heavy shampoo and conditioner. It weights my hair down properly when I use it and prevents the flippies. shea moisture shampoo/ conditioner is heavy as well.

I think your flips are caused by your natural wave so I do think henna will help if that is what you are wanting.
You are expericncd with it so you know that one but I am just letting you know I agree with you on thst one.

thistledown
December 14th, 2013, 12:34 AM
Dammit girl you make me want the same haircut! It's so cute!
Vanessa

karenpetal
December 14th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Hi Bunnylake - congrats and your hair looks fab !! I did something similar BSL to Bob couple years a ago - loved it ... enjoy your new hairstyle

Cheers
K

Fufu
December 14th, 2013, 10:51 AM
I like your new bob hairstyle.

I chopped my near waist hair length last year December and enjoyed being the short hair girl for the entire year.

durgidog
December 14th, 2013, 02:15 PM
bunnylake your hair looks fantastic! It's very flattering on you. Have you tried rollers when it's wet and just airdrying?

stachelbeere
December 14th, 2013, 05:48 PM
I guess you're right, haha. I just remember having hair this short in the past without flippy ends? I dunno why it's happening now, but now then. Oh well. I wonder if it's true that you can "train" your hair to go a certain way... anyone know?

xo

well, I'd go with pin curls pinned downward then brush them out in the morning to avoid those flippy ends if you want to do it without heat.
when I had short hair they were always nicely layered and were laying down. then again I'm a 1b - maybe because you are a 1b/1c your hair is less behaved? :)

or: two-three large velcro rollers should do the trick as well