PDA

View Full Version : Lots of SSKs but no breakage?

daredevil14
November 23rd, 2013, 02:27 AM
I have noticed that my wavy/curly hair is full of single strand knots but despite this, I am still gaining length more and more and shedding for me is pretty average. How will these knots affect my hair? One thing I have noticed is that the strands which are free (or mostly free) of SSKs curl better while the strands which are full of SSKs can feel very rough even when well saturated with a conditioner and an oil (while wet).

I am already following some tips in order to prevent them, but what about those existing ones? Will I have to go for a long trim in the future? (I have never trimmed my hair in all my 3 years and a half before (well except one time))

YamaMaya
November 23rd, 2013, 02:58 AM
Two words. Search and Destroy. Ok technically that's three words but you get the idea right? :p. Anyhoo just S&D those little suckers out of existence.

restless
November 23rd, 2013, 03:45 AM
Anyhoo just S&D those little suckers out of existence.

Yup, I agree. Whenever I find one of them in my hair I snip Žem off because they do nothing good for my hair and its texture/health.

CurlyCap
November 23rd, 2013, 08:23 AM
I truly think that SSKs cause more SSKs to form. It's like they provide a place for the curl to catch on itself and begin a new knot.

I agree with everyone else. Cut them out. Usually that hair is damaged in some war (allowing the first knot to form) so it's an okay thing to do anyway.

slyviolet
November 23rd, 2013, 10:11 AM
I'm going to quickly say that I agree with the others on the S&D approach to these, and add that as a knitter, I get momentarily intrigued by the combination of hair and knitting every time I see the title of this post in the forum list! (SSK is a knitting abbreviation for 'slip, slip, knit' which is a type of stitch decrease)

endlessly
November 23rd, 2013, 10:27 AM
I am prone to SSKs, too, and really the only thing you can do is S&D otherwise, they can lead to more knots forming as other single strands will wrap around the single knot. You mentioned that the strands with SSKs appear more rough, no matter what you use to smooth them, correct? Are they rough from damage or dryness, or do they grow in at that same texture? I've noticed since my hair is a mixture of coarse, fine, and everything in-between, the 'coarser' strands seem to catch and turn into SSKs, versus the silkier strands never catch and knot. It might just be part of your hair texture and something you simply cannot avoid. I wish I had more suggestions to avoid, but let me know if you learn anything! I've tried to detangle them, too, using a needle and trust me, it's pretty impossible! Best of luck!

chen bao jun
November 24th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Mine have gotten (a little) better recently, I'm not sure why.
IN answer to your question, they are highly annoying, when I do search and destroy I am upset at the way they proliferate, but they have not affected my hair growing at all.

CurlyCap
November 24th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Wanted to add that I find ACV rinses help immensely with preventing SSK formation. I ACV rinse with every co-wash, and I only get a couple a month. When they start popping up all over the place, despite ACV rinses, I know it's time for a trim. This happens ~6 months.

Hope that helps.