PDA

View Full Version : Got my hair cut last month to just past my shoulders. Its around APL and I hate it!!

stephy190
November 22nd, 2013, 03:12 PM
Got it cut last month from BSL to past shoulders (about 4 inches off) due to my ends growing in thin as the hairdresser earlier this year cut my layers too short. The layers are growing down now although theyre still not the same length. I've noticed a tiny bit of growth since last month but nothing too much.. Like its APL and I actually despise it because i'm not using heat so its just wavey and short :( It's affecting my mood as I feel so much less confident with my hair this length and not using straighteners. It just looks horrible and feels like its taking so long. It makes me look awful! How can I speed up the process apart from not using heat ? I'm using mane and tail shampoo/conditioner and stretching my washes.

Thanks everyone! :) x

martyna_22
November 22nd, 2013, 03:20 PM
Try improving your diet, increase your protein intake, and always be sure you get all the vitamins you need.
The next thing is MSM. It's methyl sulfonyl methane - just a great source of sulfur if you lack it or don't absorb it well.
You could also massage your scalp.
Be protective of your ends - if they break off, there's no noticeable growth. I recommend using light cones on them - it works wonders for me.
There are also silk pillowcases to reduce breakage.
Try oil treatments - they help many people, though I don't find them helpful..
And a lot of patience. Don't lose your spirit - fortunately, hair grows. Today I cut my waist length hair to BSL and I don't like it either - but I just had to. It looked uneven and ugly. :(
Good luck! :)

JessicaAnn
November 22nd, 2013, 03:34 PM
About seven weeks ago I cut my past waist length hair to just below my shoulders (12 inch cut) and it is a little less that 2 inches from APL at this point. I had been specifically growing it out to that length to donate, but I had forgotten just how much I despise having my hair at shoulder length. The "stylist" also chopped a bunch of short layers I'm not thrilled with into my hair that I'm going to have to grow out along the way. I hate it and I totally get where you're coming from. I was actually having panic attacks over how my hair looks now. I don't need my hair back to my waist to be happy, but I do want it to be longer. The poster above me gave you some good advice about growing it out. I would also suggest finding a way to put it up so you don't have to look at it or feel how short it is. I bought a satin sleep cap, and as silly as it looks I find that it is actually helping me stretch my washes and styling. I wish I could do totally without heat styling, but the top layers are so short that I don't have a lot of choice at this point.

I'm just focusing on keeping my hair as healthy as I can this winter and thinking about how much longer it's going to be this spring/summer. Don't lost hope. We'll grow through this together.

HintOfMint
November 22nd, 2013, 06:43 PM
When I cut my hair from nearly waist up to my shoulders (my hair is also wavy and poofy and not suited to short lengths), Aveda Brilliant Universal Styling Creme saved me. Forgive me, I swear no one paid me to say this. But that product really calmed my waves, knocked out the poof, and made my hair look styled even when I just raked it through my hair and let it airdry. It made the growing out process significantly easier, and I can't recommend it enough.

Tini'sNewHair
November 22nd, 2013, 06:50 PM
Awh, i know what you mean. My hair dosnt behave at all at shorter lengths, thats the reason why my hair was never down until i reached BSL and now my hair is finally sitting well again. So i always had it up and i did the benign neglect, I never noticed it grow from where i originally had it at bellow shoulders to now BSL until i looked in the mirror one day and noticed how well my hair behaved, thats when i realised that i'm now at BSL so i was cheering and jumping for joy :)

Sillage
November 22nd, 2013, 07:32 PM
Sorry to hear your hair is not in a place you want it to be. I know it doesn't help much to say this, but it will grow... and Stephy when you say "speed up the process" do you mean growing or drying??

YamaMaya
November 23rd, 2013, 11:26 AM
Make sure you're getting overall good nutrition and lots of vitamins and minerals your body needs. Your hair is low on the list of priorities so if you want it to grow, make sure the rest of your body is getting enough nourishment first. Second, put your hair up and forget about it. Stop measuring, stop looking, stop obsessing.Take it down only in the shower and only to wash, condition, and to apply oils/leave ins, then put it straight into a braid or bun. Also, don't end up falling into the trap of obsessively s&ding or trimming. Appoint a time to do it then do it then or not at all. If you keep the ends protected in a bun you shouldn't need to trim very often. Most of all, just have patience, if you follow a good nutrition plan and be nice to your hair, it will get to beautiful lengths in no time at all :)

AmyBeth
November 23rd, 2013, 12:53 PM
I would say, in the sweetest, kindest way possible, "Calm down, and stop the drama". I KNOW your hair doesn't look awful. I promise, I don't even have to see it to know that it doesn't look as bad as you think. I think APL hair is long and a really pretty length. You have nice healthy ends now, and can grow it out with a nice even hemline. Especially if you can wrap your mind around your natural texture. You don't have to have straight hair to have beautiful hair. Repeat to yourself if you have to "I do not have to have straight hair to have beautiful hair.":p. Don't let your hair hurt your moods! We love our hair, but it's only hair, after all. Even if your hair isn't actually curly, you might get inspiration from checking out curlygirl.com. Now might be the time to look at tutorials for keeping your hair up for your length. There are lots of pretty styles you can do now, that at longer lengths are no longer possible. And if you keep ignoring it, it will soon surprise you by how fast it will grow. If fun hair toys make keeping it up more interesting, you can go to ebay and find lots of fun toys for very little money. Stay strong!:flower:

DarleneH
November 23rd, 2013, 06:55 PM
Have as much fun trying different styles with that length as you can, because it won't be that length forever!

LauraLongLocks
November 23rd, 2013, 07:08 PM
Pamper it as much as you can right now. Take extra time for it on the weekends, giving it a deep conditioning treatment or learning a new half-up style. That length is great for half-ups in my experience. Eat at least 80-100 grams protein every day. Take your vitamins/supplements. Exercise. Measure and look at your length only once a month. If you don't have a sleep cap or satin pillowcase yet, pamper yourself and get one. Try different care regimes and see what your hair likes best. Stick with each new regime for about two weeks before you begin another (obviously, stop right away if something is awful for your hair). Try to see the beauty in your hair right now, where it is.

chen bao jun
November 23rd, 2013, 07:18 PM
I'm a curly and I know that the longer my hair gets the better I like it. There's something about curly hair at shorter lengths--like it goes out instead of down. At least mine does.
I can imagine that if I had started with longer hair and then cut it, I'd be going crazy, so I sympathize. But this too shall pass, it will be really a lot better in six months. Meanwhile, put it up, that always helps me to ignore hair I don't currently like.

gnome82
November 24th, 2013, 02:37 AM
I am sorry that you are unhappy with your hair. I prefer how my hair falls at longer lengths too. Until my hair is longer I wear it up to protect the ends.

Ambystoma
November 24th, 2013, 05:53 AM
If you'd like it to look sleeker and straighter without using heat or products, you're at a great length to learn how to doobie wrap (it gets harder and harder to learn the longer it gets!) - here's a couple of tutorials:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPjNC4tJEoY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UteGDjL3qpk

It comes out not super straight like with a flatiron, more like straight with a body wave and bounce. I wrap with dry hair and then spray it with a little water to help "set" the style while I sleep. I wouldn't recommend trying to do it with wet hair, I made that mistake once and it was like wrangling angry seaweed :laugh:.Hopefully this helps you love it a bit more while you grow :grouphug: If not - a french roll is easy to do at your length and looks very chic!