PDA

View Full Version : Hair loss

Ruzovy
November 22nd, 2013, 09:49 AM
Hello ladies!

So last February I made a thread here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=110747) because I was freaking out over losing "SO much hair" (50+strands a day). And now I'm wishing that was all I was losing....

Over the last month or so (maybe 2? This semester's been crazy, sorry) I noticed a lot of hair all over the place, like, more than usual. I had just reached waist length so I brushed it off as it just looking like a lot because my hair is longer now. It started getting on my nerves though, so I decided to brush my hair every day for a week or so to see if the "floor sheds" would diminish. They didn't, and throughout the days I found myself pulling out hairs and hairs whenever I ran my hand through my hair in public or at home (not even my fingers, that usually brings out even more hairs; my hand!) and the brushing didn't change that. You'd think that if I brushed out the hairs that were about to fall out on their own I would get less fall out but no.

Routine wise, I'll start by saying that around the same time I first noticed "more hair" falling out I decided to finally cut out conditioner from my routine, so I now only use shampoo, and only once a week. I use a wooden comb to detangle my hair in the shower as gently as I can, because if I don't do this I'll be pulling handfuls of hair out once it dries. And these tangle in my other hairs and it's a lot harder to get them out without breaking the "good hairs" if that makes sense...
After my hair dries, I use coconut oil on it, mostly the ends of course.

Besides the hair loss, I have also noticed some flakes (I'd call it dandruff but I don't think there are enough to call it that and it's mostly in my front) a couple of days before wash day, don't know if it could be related. My scalp also seems more sensitive than before, it hurts a bit when I wash it, kind of like when I henna'd my hair all night and then washed it off next morning it would hurt, because the hair follicles have been strained by the weight of the mix. I don't wear my hair up tightly though so I don't understand why my scalp's been like this.

In my old thread I mentioned counting them and then putting them together in a small lock, which scared me. The other day I didn't count them, because there were well over 50 hairs in there, but I did separate them and lined them up to make a lock... which was a bit over twice the size of the one I did in february. That's when I started getting worried.
So today I took my tape and decided to take the ultimate test to see if I really am losing that much hair or if I'm just freaking out over nothing. And I measured my ponytail circumference. And it's gone from 9cm to a bit less than 8cm since the last time I measured it (summer I think). I lost 1cm of hair!

I don't know whether this is an autumn shed, since I read somewhere women get those or if it's the lack of a conditioner, or if I should wash it twice a week because maybe my scalp doesn't like only being washed once a week, I have no idea what I can do to stop this...
I'm supposed to henna my hair again in a couple of weeks, since last time I did it was in June, but now I'm afraid because henna always means extra sheddings for me for the first few days and I don't want to go bald!

Help?

endlessly
November 22nd, 2013, 10:13 AM
Since you mentioned that you are at waist length, have you noticed your hair has continued to grow any longer at all? The reason I'm wondering is because the reason for the sudden hair loss might be due to the fact that's you've reached your terminal length, meaning that your hair will only grow to a certain length and once that is acquired, will fall out. You also mentioned having a stressful semester, so stress might very well also be the cause of hair loss.

I normally have at least one "shed" per year due to seasonal changes, but stress, medical conditions, eating habits can also greatly affect the health of your hair. Have you been in to see a physician at all? Doctors would be able to rule out if it is in fact a health issue or protein/vitamin deficiency, so definitely look into that especially if you continue to lose so many strands per day.

Hopefully this will help!

Ruzovy
November 22nd, 2013, 11:00 AM
My hair does seem to keep growing, my hemline is V shaped by this point though. So thankfully I'm not at my terminal length. I have been stressed since this is my final year in university, and I've also not been eating too well, because of state exams but I remember going through similar stress/bad food periods during other exam periods and I wasn't losing so much hair... Which is why I was wondering it might be seasonal... I won't be able to see a doctor until mid december, when I go home, but if the problem continues until then I most definitely will.