PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to detangle wavy hair?

icallitbliss
November 21st, 2013, 10:26 PM
I know a lot of you say don't use a brush on wavy hair, because of the frizz factor. But I feel like it gets the top of my hair smoother. (when I brush it wet) Anyway, I also have a tangle teezer and a wide tooth comb. I'm trying to figure out which my hair likes best and what others use.

two_wheels
November 22nd, 2013, 02:23 AM
I have a denman brush, it's great. Tangle teaser is as good though, I think.
You brush when wet??!!?!??!!!? Heresy! (I do too, otherwise I get a fuzzy mess! Only v gently to detangle though)

carrielynn
November 22nd, 2013, 05:11 AM
I only detangle in the shower when my hair is wet and soaked with conditioner, with a wide toothed comb. Very rarely do I brush it when dry, maybe once or twice a month if I need it for a certain hairstyle.

lapushka
November 22nd, 2013, 05:23 AM
I know a lot of you say don't use a brush on wavy hair, because of the frizz factor. But I feel like it gets the top of my hair smoother. (when I brush it wet) Anyway, I also have a tangle teezer and a wide tooth comb. I'm trying to figure out which my hair likes best and what others use.

My hair gets combed, brushed before a wash, so then... after a wash, it gets its time in a turbie towel (15/20 min.) and then it's combed with a wide tooth brush - yes, on damp hair. I don't feel it messes with my wave pattern as all the styling aids (leave-in, serum, gel) are applied by scrunching them in after combing.

spidermom
November 22nd, 2013, 06:27 AM
Wide tooth comb in the shower when it's full of conditioner.

Madora
November 22nd, 2013, 07:28 AM

For the sake of your hair, never brush it when it is wet!!!! Please!

That "frizz" factor you speak of can be tamed. It is just a matter of how you brush..i.e. each time your brush your hair, follow each swipe with the palm of your other hand. The brush is the plus...your hand is the minus. This helps calm "the frizzies". Also, a natural boar bristle brush (No plastic) is best for your hair. BBBs come in a varieties of softness/hardness so finding a good one may be a bit of a challenge.

As far as the best detangler for a wavy (and I'm one) get a wide tooth comb, and be sure to inspect the seams. Don't purchase one with jagged seams...unless you want to file them down yourself.

How you detangle also makes a huge difference in achieving beautiful, healthy hair.

sourgrl
November 22nd, 2013, 08:44 AM
I detangle in the shower with conditioner. Once dry I use a wide tooth comb on my roots and finger comb the rest. I did try and like the results of using a wood bristle brush but my fine hair kept catching between the bottom of the wooden pins and the paddle of the brush.

Crumpet
November 22nd, 2013, 11:25 AM
I do it very differently! I finger comb my hair pre-shower...do no detangling in shower...I don't touch my hair until its nearly dry and then I oil the ends and finger comb it. I then use a wide tooth seamless comb and put it in an updo. I use a BBB sometimes to smooth my hair back, but I don't often brush my hair.

sumidha
November 22nd, 2013, 11:46 AM
Honestly, I gleefully destroy my wave pattern with a wide toothed comb or TT as soon as it's dry, because I can't stand tangles and shed hairs.

Suze2012
November 22nd, 2013, 12:38 PM
I don't use a comb at all on my hair, the only person who uses a comb on it is my hairdresser and that's only 3 or 4 times a year. It does take a day to recover and act normally again though.

I just fingercomb when it's wet with conditioner on it.
I don't get much in the way of tangles though..only curls curling together really.
I also never wear my hair up so have no need to comb it to style it either.

Ambystoma
November 24th, 2013, 07:11 AM
I detangle in sections from the bottom up with a wide tooth seamless comb on dry hair (I really hate handling my hair when it's wet - it's too clumpy and heavy and uncooperative). I find the less I touch it as it dries the less frizz I get, plus after combing I put it back into a bun for a while even if I'm wearing it down to smooth out the slight fluffiness a combing seems to give it. I only use my BBB to polish the top section of an updo if my hands aren't doing the trick, or to distribute scalp oils just before washing - I get "triangle head" from brushing so I'd not do it if I wanted to go out in public with it down :laugh: If I had a softer one I'd try using it more often but I think mine is a little too firm for me to use regularly.

Crumpet
November 24th, 2013, 10:22 AM
I detangle in sections from the bottom up with a wide tooth seamless comb on dry hair (I really hate handling my hair when it's wet - it's too clumpy and heavy and uncooperative). I find the less I touch it as it dries the less frizz I get, plus after combing I put it back into a bun for a while even if I'm wearing it down to smooth out the slight fluffiness a combing seems to give it. I only use my BBB to polish the top section of an updo if my hands aren't doing the trick, or to distribute scalp oils just before washing - I get "triangle head" from brushing so I'd not do it if I wanted to go out in public with it down :laugh: If I had a softer one I'd try using it more often but I think mine is a little too firm for me to use regularly.

This is a better description than mine of what I do!

Ambystoma
November 24th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Haha, thanks Crumpet! Have you tried CurlyCap's drying method? She twists hair into giant ringlets (I just do two, one on each side) as if you were doing one half of a rope braid and then leave it to dry in the tube like shape. It's amazing, it keeps waves tidy and cuts frizz down like crazy since the hairs all dry aligned nicely - I :heartbeat her for showing me!

eurolee
November 24th, 2013, 05:27 PM
I've never tried a tangle teezer, but I really like my Goody detangling comb. It works best in the shower after my conditioner has been sitting. Parting my hair always causes tangle troubles, but I never think to part my hair in the shower...I suppose I should. :rolleyes:

HintOfMint
November 24th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Not every wavy haired person has to follow the curly girl method and avoid brushing. YMMV, but some wavies can treat their hair as straight and brush it without frizzing or poof, particularly 2a wavies. The key is to try both ways and see what works for you.

Bruiser
November 24th, 2013, 07:21 PM
I comb while damp detangling from the bottom up.
when it's dry I spritz it with rose water, brush it through, and then twist my hair on the top of my head into a bun and sleep on it, take it down in the morning and finger comb it's really easy way to get uniform waves and have the top smooth.

ceruleansky
November 24th, 2013, 11:09 PM
FTR, I'm a 2C, maybe 3A in places. I always brush when wet; I use a "Wet" brush. When my hair was waist length and longer I was brushing with a hard plastic cushion brush :oops:, but it is usually quite free of tangles when wet. My hair's form really popped out after a protein treatment and then switching to CO washing, but alas it matters not, because my hair is never, ever down unless it is over my pillow to sleep. I'm sure that will change when it gets longer than the shoulder length it is now. I have always hated using wide toothed combs, and I as well can't stand tangles and shed hairs. I do finger comb the tangles out in the shower.

fluffypuffy
November 25th, 2013, 12:03 AM
I saturate with my hair with conditioner, let it sit a few minutes, and then gently finger detangle from the bottom up. That means, teasing big clumps apart, and if i notice any small knots, gently pulling individual hairs from the mass until the whole thing comes undone. Then I run my fingers through my hair scalp to ends to ensure that I've thoroughly done my job, and rinse! If I'm in a bigger rush, I'll do an abbreviated version of that and then blot my hair dry-ish and use a brush with round tipped widely spaced bristles to brush it out starting at the ends.