PDA

View Full Version : I always end up feeling like my hair is short

tetisheri72
November 21st, 2013, 06:05 PM
Even though I know it's not. The ends hit right around my hip bones when I have it down, in back. But when I pull it in front, it is more like waist. So I feel like it's so short. My hemline isn't currently blunt, it's a little more V-ish than I would like, but with microtrimming I'm slowly fixing that. I've got to wash it tomorrow, so I am finally going to get good length pictures.

My husband just laughs at me when I complain about how short it is.

0xalis
November 21st, 2013, 10:36 PM
My hair IS short and my darling keeps yelling at me "YOUR HAIR IS LONG!!" Lol. He knows nothing about hair though.
I definitely know that feeling. Even after about 6 years of shorter than shoulder length, I still feel like my hair's not long enough!!
I've been trying off and on to grow my hair back out since the summer between 6th and 7th grade and it just hasn't happened yet. This time it'll happen though, I'm far too determined.

PorcelainHorror
November 21st, 2013, 10:36 PM
I remember when I went crazy and shaved all my hair off to a 3 guard. At that point I thought to myself "Once it gets to BSL I'll be happy."
Well, I'm passing BSL and am not content with the length yet.

Being content is just a goal we will both have to keep striving for :o

longhairedlady
November 21st, 2013, 11:03 PM
I still feel the same way lol.

Mandie
November 22nd, 2013, 12:00 AM
My hair is down to the waist of my pants and I still feel like it's short. In my mind my hair won't be "long" until it's tailbone. I think it's partly being on this forum with such incredible long hair. xD

LauraLongLocks
November 22nd, 2013, 12:26 AM
Yup, I am starting to think I won't ever be satisfied with my hair length. It's MBL, and I am so impatient for it to make it to waist, and I already know I won't be satisfied when it is waist. I will definitely want it to be at least TBL, and if I've made it that far, why not see if I can grow it to classic? And then fingertips, and then knees, and, and, and... Is dragging it on the floor too long? I asked my husband that the other day, and he said it wouldn't be too long. Part of me wants to find out what terminal is, but will I like it that long? Plenty of time to think about that between now and then. :) For now, I'm looking forward to waist!

tetisheri72
November 22nd, 2013, 04:42 AM
My hair IS short and my darling keeps yelling at me "YOUR HAIR IS LONG!!" Lol. He knows nothing about hair though.
I definitely know that feeling. Even after about 6 years of shorter than shoulder length, I still feel like my hair's not long enough!!
I've been trying off and on to grow my hair back out since the summer between 6th and 7th grade and it just hasn't happened yet. This time it'll happen though, I'm far too determined.

I've had long hair off and on for years, and then something would happen and I would cut it short. My hair was only an inch or two shorter when I got divorced, and I cut it all off to a long pixie, which I then permed. My son, who was 4, kept tyring to pull it back long. Now I am determined not to do that. It's the longest it's ever been. My current goal is classic, and my ultimate goal is knee.

One difference between then and now is that I actually know how to do more than ponytails and english braids.

My mom keeps telling me that I need to cut it because the ends are so ratty, but she doesn't understand taper, and when I try to explain it, she doesn't care.

I remember when I went crazy and shaved all my hair off to a 3 guard. At that point I thought to myself "Once it gets to BSL I'll be happy."
Well, I'm passing BSL and am not content with the length yet.

Being content is just a goal we will both have to keep striving for :o

You have such pretty hair! I did something similar back in 2004, and I'm slowly growing it out too. Content is a good thing to strive for.

You have really pretty hair. That's about the shade most of my hair is. If you still feel the same way, I won't worry about it then.

My hair is down to the waist of my pants and I still feel like it's short. In my mind my hair won't be "long" until it's tailbone. I think it's partly being on this forum with such incredible long hair. xD

You know, that's probably what it is. There are a lot of members who I am envious off because of how long and lovely their hair is.

You have lovely hair.

Yup, I am starting to think I won't ever be satisfied with my hair length. It's MBL, and I am so impatient for it to make it to waist, and I already know I won't be satisfied when it is waist. I will definitely want it to be at least TBL, and if I've made it that far, why not see if I can grow it to classic? And then fingertips, and then knees, and, and, and... Is dragging it on the floor too long? I asked my husband that the other day, and he said it wouldn't be too long. Part of me wants to find out what terminal is, but will I like it that long? Plenty of time to think about that between now and then. :) For now, I'm looking forward to waist!

I really love your avatar. I'm going to have to try it one of these days. I kind of want to know what my terminal is too. I hope it isn't before my knees. I worry about going longer than that, because I'm pretty sure I'll need lots of help from my husband to take care of it. He's already said that he will, but I just worry about how much work it will take.

HintOfMint
November 22nd, 2013, 10:42 AM
Welcome to LHC, where your length is never good enough.*

*In one's own head of course, not to other members. This is a riff on Berkeley's poster for achievement: "Berkeley: Where Your Best Is Never Good Enough."

Ah well. Aside from my growing goal, I'm actually quite content with my hair and its routine. I'm bored out of my skull. Contentment is overrated, to be in a constant state of wanting is aggravating and fun. At least that's what consumer-driven brainwashing has told me. :p

tetisheri72
November 22nd, 2013, 10:49 AM
Yay for consumer-driven brainwashing!

I've seen loads of support for goals here which has been very nice. I would think a poster like Berkeley's would give one an inferiority complex.

LauraLongLocks
November 22nd, 2013, 12:48 PM
I really love your avatar. I'm going to have to try it one of these days.

It's very easy. Do a ponytail flip-through, then divide it into three sections. Braid those three sections then band them together at the ends and flip up to where your pony flip-through is and bobby pin it in place. Add a pretty barrette or clip or pin to dress it up. Simple.

tetisheri72
November 22nd, 2013, 01:02 PM
I'm thinking I might do it for church on Sunday. I'm always looking for quick and easy. I wouldn't have thought to band the ends together.

LauraLongLocks
November 22nd, 2013, 01:06 PM
It's a favorite of mine for church. If you hair is longer than mine (MBL), you might want to flip the braids through twice.

tetisheri72
November 22nd, 2013, 01:09 PM
My hair is hip, so I might do that. I wonder if I have any pretty hair clips floating around, I don't think I do, but I know I have bobby pins.

Unicorn
November 22nd, 2013, 01:34 PM
Fortunately, I've fet that my hair is long for the last 3 years or so. I only do a proper length check once a year so any length increase is a pleasant surprise and it feels long all over again :D I've no idea how long I'll allow it to get to, but hopefully it'll always feel 'long' due to infrequent checks.

Unicorn

chen bao jun
November 22nd, 2013, 01:42 PM
Hey, its all relative, your hair is only 'long' when you've reached the goal you want for you.
I think a lot of us on LHC have moving goals, though lol
I'm with Unicorn, I think my hair is long. I'm just sad sometimes that it doesn't look as long as it is (bottom bra strap edging towards mid back)
However, when I think, would I want to give up my curls for it to 'look' long, the answer is heck, no, so ----
My goal right now is waist, which I should reach sometimes next year--of course, it won't look like waist, but that's okay.

tetisheri72
November 22nd, 2013, 01:45 PM
That sounds like a good way to do it.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 22nd, 2013, 01:47 PM
I feel the same way - I am almost at waist and find that when I say "When my hair gets long I will....." , I get funny looks, but my hair just doesn't SEEM long yet, though it does look long in photos, most odd. I guess it is hair dysmorphia....

LauraLongLocks
November 22nd, 2013, 01:59 PM
I feel the same way - I am almost at waist and find that when I say "When my hair gets long I will....." , I get funny looks, but my hair just doesn't SEEM long yet, though it does look long in photos, most odd. I guess it is hair dysmorphia....

Ha ha! I love that term. I think I'm going to start using it all the time to describe my perception of my hair length... hair dysmorphia... it is also a good term for anyone who can't see the natural beauty of their genetic endowment of hair. I'm just getting my 13 year old daughter to love her waves at last... she always tried to brush them and blow them straight. Now she is beginning to see how beautiful they are.

Foxylocks
November 22nd, 2013, 02:03 PM
This exact same problem happens to me! My hair is hip length as well, but it may as well be APL because of how short it feels.

LoriSunrise
November 22nd, 2013, 02:08 PM
I completely understand. I'm trying to grow mine out, right now it's at the bottom of my bra band in back. My ultimate goal is classic length, but I don't know if I can reach it. My boyfriend keeps telling me how long my hair has gotten (I melted it the first month we started dating), but it still feel SOOOO short to me!

tetisheri72
November 22nd, 2013, 02:14 PM
Hair dysmorphia sounds exactly right to me.

tetisheri72
November 22nd, 2013, 02:15 PM
I'm just glad I'm not the only one with these problems.

Liz_park
November 22nd, 2013, 02:25 PM

Looool your hair is what, knee length? Awww this made me chuckle. I guess we always wish it was a bit longer!