PDA

View Full Version : does classic length hair tangle easily when down?

Scelesta
November 21st, 2013, 02:00 PM
So my classic length wig got here today, and for the first time in my life i get to see what having long hair may be like. (its nothing like my hair type though, the wig its silky straight(i have curly to wavy hair), and not nearly as thick as my natural hair.) the wig itself looks real, and feels like real hair.

So I got it on easily enough and it looks amazing, and no one yet has realized its a wig( strangers I mean, people whom know me would know lol) I'm getting compliments on my "long hair" I do explain that is a wig though cause I dont like getting compliments on something thats um fake. heh.

I was not out side long and its not windy walked about 1/4 of a mile, got home and its already starting to tangle...(and by tangle i mean its getting messy, and if I didnt brush it and left it on and down all day it would be a nightmare at the end of the day.)

so does classic length hair tangle that easily? I mean I had zero choice but to take that pretty long wig hair and braid it into one long braid to prevent it from becoming messy..it still looks nice but i'd love to wear it down :( If real hair gets messy that easily i may seriously have to rethink growing it that long..I dont want to have to wear it up 24/7 or worse yet carry a brush with me everywhere I go x.x

Madora
November 21st, 2013, 02:12 PM
Yes, it does. That's why it is best to keep it confined...up or down braided. Less tangles means less mechanical damage to contend with! And brushing out tangled hair is not conducive to having healthy hair. Use a wide tooth comb and detangle gently, from the bottom up.

kouran
November 21st, 2013, 02:14 PM
I have gone out with my hair loose a few times, and in my case, the tangles weren't very bad, I mean, it had more tangles than when I wear my hair in a bun/braid, but it wasn't a tangled mess...it took more time to detangle the hair. I wouldn't recommend a brush to detangle, a wide tooth comb is better.

I also recommend wearing some silky clothes that let the hair slide - this doesn't create as many knots.

Scelesta
November 21st, 2013, 02:15 PM
Yes, it does. That's why it is best to keep it confined...up or down braided. Less tangles means less mechanical damage to contend with! And brushing out tangled hair is not conducive to having healthy hair. Use a wide tooth comb and detangle gently, from the bottom up.

eep well i'll give it some thought then, not like i dont have time to let the idea roll around in my head ^^

and yes I meant comb i dont use brushes so when I say brush i mean comb lol

hypersensitive
November 21st, 2013, 02:17 PM
In a word, yes. My hair has never been more tangly, unfortunately. And if there is any hint of wind, I put it up immediately. I always carry a comb with me when I decide to have it down that day. It is nice to have it down but you can't leave it down for long before the tangles come.

HintOfMint
November 21st, 2013, 02:18 PM
Oh I've found that long hair tangles at far shorter lengths than classic. I've had tangle issues since BSL.

Scelesta
November 21st, 2013, 02:21 PM
thats what worries me the last time I had BSL hair i was 10...and even with frequent brushing(and in this case i do mean brush) it was just painful..my hair is prone to horrifying tangles if i'm not extremely careful, granted when it was shoulder length the only time it got tangled was if i was lazy and didnt brush for a couple of days but I'm sure if it gets to long it will be come unmanageable for me...or maybe i'll just have to do some reading here on LHC to learn how to manage it.

Madora
November 21st, 2013, 02:22 PM
Oh I've found that long hair tangles at far shorter lengths than classic. I've had tangle issues since BSL.

Man, ain't that the truth!!! Been there. Tangles are just...ugh..to the max!!

meteor
November 21st, 2013, 02:28 PM
Definitely! But it's easier when the hair is virgin, when you keep it mostly contained, and when you carry a comb around. Plus, having the wig puts you in the enviable position of choosing when to wear hair long and when to wear it short.

To be honest, I find frustrating detangling sessions to be the biggest reason why I cut long hair in the past.
It's like a cost-benefit analysis of having long hair: frustratingly long detangling vs. the wow factor of having long hair.

nobeltonya
November 21st, 2013, 04:35 PM
It all depends on your hair... everyone's is different. Mine does not tangle very easily, while I maintain my current routine. Now assuming I stopped using oil or leave-in, say, it would tangle much easier. :disco:

AspenSong
November 21st, 2013, 04:47 PM
It does. Unless you soak it in Unicorn Urine, then it'll never tangle or get a split end and will sparkle with the magic of 1,000 Arkenstones.

;) lol.

For me, it's just part of having long hair I think and as has been said, condition of your hair matters a lot. My hair is in pretty great condition overall I'd say, and I personally can't wear it down much just because it's so fine it does knot up easier. It definitely depends person to person and hair type to type.

ETA = I had a friend who with TBL hair, never got tangles much and she wore it down all the time, AND she wasn't kind to her hair. So again, think it depends on type and then treatment.

BlazingHeart
November 21st, 2013, 04:54 PM
Mine was pretty easy to tailbone, and only mildly tangle prone at classic, but my hair tangles way less than the average from what I've seen.

nobeltonya
November 21st, 2013, 05:02 PM
Mine was pretty easy to tailbone, and only mildly tangle prone at classic, but my hair tangles way less than the average from what I've seen.

Mine is the same way. And I wear mine down as much as possible. Doesn't tangle much, and not many splits. It is not impossible, but not everyone can do it. Maybe our water is magical.. :D :disco:

Amapola
November 21st, 2013, 05:16 PM
Some of you guys are so lucky... mine will tangle at ear lobe length. In fact having it long and being able to put it up actually makes it easier to take care of it, weirdly enough.

But yes, it tangles (I'm not classic yet, I'm tailbone) and it catches in things, and gets shut in doors and so on. However to me, one of the joys of my hair is being able to put it up in all different kinds of ways with lots of different fun hair toys. I don't need to wear it down to enjoy it. I get great pleasure from putting a treasured clip in my hair, after coiling it in a special way. I had someone say to me, "Why have long hair if you can't wear it down all the time?" and of course the answer is, because wearing it UP is a blast, AND you get to have hair toys too. :)

PrincessBob
November 21st, 2013, 05:55 PM
Mine does, but then again mine has always been horribly tangle prone. I do like wearing it down when I am lounging around the house, because it keeps my back warm, but I know it spell serious time with my wide tooth comb and Tangle Teezer afterward. I have worn it down outside my house on occasion, but it was always a nightmare to untangle when I got home. Yes when I do this I get TONS of complements, but I get the same amount of complements in a braid. Of course it gets pulled way less if I keep it bunned, but the trade off is people don't compliment my hair length and quality, just occasionally my hair accessory. I am okay with that, since, for some reason folks see a braid as an invitation to grab and yank on a persons hair. No thank you, very much! I have a tender scalp.

spidermom
November 21st, 2013, 05:58 PM
Mine did. I could comb out one side, and before I got finished with the second side, the first side would be all tangled up again. My ends always turn into a mass of split ends that stick together like Velcro around tailbone, and I do very little to my hair that could be considered damaging. Some hair types are a PITA the longer they get, like mine.

PrincessBob
November 21st, 2013, 05:58 PM
Aspensong, point me to the unicorn lavatory, then! I'll hang out in the urinal trough to be free from tangles for life. I bet they pee rainbow Hi-c, anyway.

AspenSong
November 21st, 2013, 06:27 PM
Aspensong, point me to the unicorn lavatory, then! I'll hang out in the urinal trough to be free from tangles for life. I bet they pee rainbow Hi-c, anyway.

They do!!
You can find the lavatory by going down the aisle 6 in Wal Mart, peeking behind the lasagna noodles and whispering "cotton candy" three times and turning in a circle counterclockwise and throwing a handful of glitter in the air. A door will open and you just follow the Skittles down the stairs. :D

Seeshami
November 21st, 2013, 09:56 PM
Hey Mess?

The Naughty Mess says, "What slave girl?"

Why do hair monsters tangle?

The Naughty Mess says, "because people are boring. Between tangling and spitting out hair toys what else are we suppose to do on your head?"

BlazingHeart
November 21st, 2013, 10:21 PM
I don't envy you tangly people. My hair really only goes up if I leave the house - if I'm in for the day, the toy comes out and my hair comes down. I spend maybe 15 minutes a day detangling, total, and I only see a few split ends a year (like, I could count on one hand the number I've seen this year).

I wonder if the not tangling thing is a coarse hair thing - while not all people who have coarse hair have the not tangling thing, I think everyone I have seen say that their hair isn't tangle-prone has coarse or medium/coarse hair. My theory is that our hair is stiffer, so it's less prone to bending and winding around each other. Also, each hair weighs more, so it lays down more readily than the ethereal cloud of floaty hair you see when someone has fine hair.

morrigan*
November 21st, 2013, 10:40 PM
My hair is only waist, but it usually doesn't tangle much, and i don't have coarse hair.

0xalis
November 21st, 2013, 10:42 PM
I have no idea, because my hair's never been THAT long, but I'd love to see this wig! :D

LauraLongLocks
November 22nd, 2013, 12:43 AM
My hair is fine to medium, and it tangles if it even brushes against my collar. Silky-feeling clothes help, but if there is even a hint of wind, I keep my hair up. I once commented to a friend that if there is absolutely no wind, and it's not too hot, on that DAY I will wear my hair down, because it really only happens like that once in a great while.

I'm wearing it up pretty much all the time, except when it's in my sleep cap. I do plan to do some pretty rag curls and wear it down for my anniversary next month, but that is the exception.

Misty'sMess
November 22nd, 2013, 01:13 AM
Tangles like anything, I always regret wearing my hair down in public but I would never cut it. I don't grow my hair to just to wear out.

leslissocool
November 22nd, 2013, 01:36 AM
I don't envy you tangly people. My hair really only goes up if I leave the house - if I'm in for the day, the toy comes out and my hair comes down. I spend maybe 15 minutes a day detangling, total, and I only see a few split ends a year (like, I could count on one hand the number I've seen this year).

I wonder if the not tangling thing is a coarse hair thing - while not all people who have coarse hair have the not tangling thing, I think everyone I have seen say that their hair isn't tangle-prone has coarse or medium/coarse hair. My theory is that our hair is stiffer, so it's less prone to bending and winding around each other. Also, each hair weighs more, so it lays down more readily than the ethereal cloud of floaty hair you see when someone has fine hair.
Nope my hair tangles and so does my daughters and my hair is extremely coarse.

I thought it was a fine hair thing, my son has fine straight hair that does not tangle at all and doesn't even need to get brushed. Looks that awesome all the time.

Isilme
November 22nd, 2013, 04:51 AM
Hair tangles, especially when out and about. Taking a walk in a gentle breeze with long hair down is equal to having to spend some quality time with your hair later in the day. My hair is at that flirting with classic length.

KellieMai
November 22nd, 2013, 04:53 AM
My hair is about half an inch from hip length and I can wear it down without too many tangle (unless it's windy, then it's straight up In a bun) but it only really tangles at the middle of the length and ends of my hair, which is where I still have bleach and dye damage so I'm guessing if my hair was all Virgin hair i wouldn't really have a problem :)

spaceagerock
November 22nd, 2013, 05:11 AM
It does. Unless you soak it in Unicorn Urine, then it'll never tangle or get a split end and will sparkle with the magic of 1,000 Arkenstones.

... and for a moment I jumped and though "I must get this Unicorn Ur... hang onnnn......."

I'm at waist and my hair tangles and un-tangles just as easily. When I wear my hair down I tend to fingercomb it now & again if it feels tangled and I tie it back if I go outside and it's windy (which it usually is here). I DO have very fine and silky hair, which is part of the equation, but I also find conditioner and various oils help me (EVOO, coconut & argan).

Agnes Hannah
November 22nd, 2013, 10:38 AM
They do!!
You can find the lavatory by going down the aisle 6 in Wal Mart, peeking behind the lasagna noodles and whispering "cotton candy" three times and turning in a circle counterclockwise and throwing a handful of glitter in the air. A door will open and you just follow the Skittles down the stairs. :D

Ha ha, I've so gotta try this!!

italianamama
November 22nd, 2013, 03:51 PM
I have coarse hair and I'm maintaining at tailbone currently. Mine only tangles if I a) skip an oiling or b) let the ends get too velcro-y. I got the worst tangles of my life when I had surgery this summer, but it was about three days before I could comb it. I wore it it my regular braid, which was a huge mistake. I should have done a crown braid or something :/

Rio040113
November 22nd, 2013, 04:55 PM
I'm not at Classic, I'm currently Hip+/almost BCL. I imagine your individual hair/maybe hair type will determine the tangle factor more than anything, although as a general rule I guess longer could = tanglier*... My hair is straight (1a) and very fine and silky. It tangles pretty easily but de-tangles even easier, so I can't complain too much :) I (almost) always wear my hair up, in the house and out. The only exceptions are while I'm air-drying (although I will sometimes damp bun for a bit midway through if it's bothering me and making me too hot/too cold) or special occasions, i.e family things such as birthdays etc or dates with DBF :D Any tangles I do get are always at the bottom and in all honesty if I've lightly oiled it, unless I wore it loose out and it was super windy, it won't tangle much if at all, avocado oil is my hair hero!

*that's now a word :p

swearnsue
November 22nd, 2013, 05:35 PM
Do you have any pics of your new hair? Please share!

Aemelia
November 22nd, 2013, 10:16 PM
Mine's like Spidermom's, I have velcro ends that start tangling as soon as I've brushed (T.T.) the tangles out.

Scelesta
November 22nd, 2013, 11:01 PM
This one was before I cut some of the length(not that you can see the full braid anyways x.x) and cut the bangs back so i could actually see without having to constantly pull the bangs back.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/kick-the-kitten/wig_zps476d1b9d.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kick-the-kitten/media/wig_zps476d1b9d.jpg.html)

this one I took today(after cutting quite a few inches off of it, and cut the bangs much shorter, I dont have a decent pic of the bangs though lol) to show the length to my mother, it looks uneven cause i had to hurry to set the timer and some of the danged hair got caught on my shoulder lol The upside to cutting it from past my butt to just about hip length was enough of a difference that I could wear it down all day, though I just took it off and its VERY messy but not really tangled, I need to brush it out which i'm not looking foward to because its going to take time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/kick-the-kitten/iwiig_zps6f86b162.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kick-the-kitten/media/iwiig_zps6f86b162.jpg.html)'

Though I do love it now, i dont know if I like the straight hair all that much, my other three wigs will be here...well eventually, and two of them are curly so i'll have to see which I like more.

0xalis
November 22nd, 2013, 11:28 PM
Super cute! Black's a good hair colour on you :D

Tail Feathers
November 22nd, 2013, 11:57 PM
This one was before I cut some of the length(not that you can see the full braid anyways x.x) and cut the bangs back so i could actually see without having to constantly pull the bangs back.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/kick-the-kitten/wig_zps476d1b9d.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kick-the-kitten/media/wig_zps476d1b9d.jpg.html)

this one I took today(after cutting quite a few inches off of it, and cut the bangs much shorter, I dont have a decent pic of the bangs though lol) to show the length to my mother, it looks uneven cause i had to hurry to set the timer and some of the danged hair got caught on my shoulder lol The upside to cutting it from past my butt to just about hip length was enough of a difference that I could wear it down all day, though I just took it off and its VERY messy but not really tangled, I need to brush it out which i'm not looking foward to because its going to take time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/kick-the-kitten/iwiig_zps6f86b162.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kick-the-kitten/media/iwiig_zps6f86b162.jpg.html)'

Though I do love it now, i dont know if I like the straight hair all that much, my other three wigs will be here...well eventually, and two of them are curly so i'll have to see which I like more.

the dark shade is such a striking contrast with your beautiful eyes.
i think it looks gorgeous on you.

YamaMaya
November 23rd, 2013, 03:08 AM
No matter what, tangles are GOING to happen once you're in long hair territory (bsl and beyond) it's going to require some detangling on a regular basis. Tangle Teezers and wide toothed combs work the best with gentle treatment. The best thing to do is to know how to tackle tangles in a healthy way, and to prevent them from forming with protective hair styles. It's not as difficult as it seems, but it will require you to put some effort in. Remember that curly hair is always going to be somewhat "tangled" when loose.

ladyfey
November 23rd, 2013, 04:15 AM
Mine did not tangle badly at classic, and if I wasn't at work, it was down. But by knee, it tangled like crazy if down.

Madora
November 23rd, 2013, 07:28 AM
[QUOTE=Scelestaso I need to brush it out which i'm not looking foward to because its going to take time.

.[/QUOTE]

But to deal with long hair, especially hair that is wavy or curly, you definitely need to be patient..and take the time..if you want long, healthy hair.

Perhaps long hair might be too time consuming for you and using wigs might be a better option.

niky45
November 23rd, 2013, 11:53 AM
my longest has been about BSL (so, no actual idea of really long hair), but it would not tangle as long as I put conditioner on it and treated it well.

when I was younger it would tangle badly at shorter lengths, but then, I was not taking enough care of it (... no conditioner mainly).

so, for me, it's a matter of taking good care of it. (well, my hair likes to behave well whenever I take care of it.... )

anitacs9101
November 23rd, 2013, 01:21 PM
I think it depends on the hair, and the person, and how you go about it...my hair seems to tangle very little, but when I wear my hair down I never leave the house without a comb or tangle teezer and I make sure to detangle whenever I get the chance (usually in the restroom.) If I were to wear my hair down all day and then go to detangle it, then it might take a little while, but I actually like brushing my hair so it's not like I'd see it as a bother. And, like I said, it doesn't tangle much to begin with :P

chen bao jun
November 23rd, 2013, 06:47 PM
My hair still has some damage at the ends, but as the damage grows out it tangles less and less and less.
I always thought I had tangly hair and it was never longer than BSL.
I realize that the really long lengths are a different ball game though and am waiting to see what happens there.
I don't think I'll really be wearing my hair out much though--I don't like to, it gets all over (being thick)

Venefica
November 23rd, 2013, 07:23 PM
Short answer yes, long answer it depends, some hair tangle constantly. I mean when I brush mine there are tangles in the part I started with before I am done with all of it, there are always some tangles in my hair that you do not see, it can not be helped, for others no they do not get allot of tangling. Hair type, how much damage you have, how smooth the hair is and just luck really determines this. I have stick straight smooth hair with hardly any damage and it still tangle allot. I have past classic length though but anyway it tangled then as well, and then there are curlies who never get tangles so it vary from person to person.

kmoc123
November 23rd, 2013, 09:29 PM
Yes it does. The worst tangles are those nape nests that are horrible to get out. I get lazy and leave my hair up for a day or two without brushing and it looks like I am trying to dread it...it big balls at my neck. And I am now tender-headed!! It really is painful trying to work that mess out! The trouble and pain is worth it though...I DO love my hair!!! 45 inches!!

maborosi
November 23rd, 2013, 09:38 PM
Yes, my hair tangles badly, even though it has never been in better condition in my life, it will probably always be tangle-prone. The only two things that I've found to keep my hair from detangling are SMT's and silicones.

~maborosi~

ravenreed
November 23rd, 2013, 11:47 PM
Yes, when I wear my hair down it tangles like a beast. I do it anyway, I just brush it often enough not to get mats. I find that wearing it in a high pony reduces the tangles somewhat.