PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about dyeing my hair

BowTie
November 21st, 2013, 05:36 AM
Okay, I won't do it till February so I have lots of time to think.

My real hair colour is dark blonde/ash blonde. I've been growing my bleach out from August and not sure if I like the colour or not. I know it might change while it grows but judging from pictures from 10 years ago it looked very dull.. I was thinking in August that I will never dye my hair but I'm slowly changing my mind.

Even if I dyed my hair, I'd still treat it well - so no heat, no teasing, SLS free shampoo and conditioner, coconut oiling, leave-ins etc..I'd probably do dying only about 3-4 times a week. I know ir's bad but I need some sins too lol!

what do you think? And also what hair colour could suit me? I want to stop bleaching. My eyes are hazel and my skin is pale. I think my colour season is Summer.

Coolcombination
November 21st, 2013, 05:39 AM
Ash brown?

Dowzey
November 21st, 2013, 05:46 AM
Try deposit only over your bleach? just to try the colour before you commit to the colour (and eventually growing it out again).

edit: before you dye, measure your hair and calculate how many microtrims it would take to trim off the dye. Also keep in mind that roots are always a bit darker/more dull. The virgin hair we had as kids was lightened by sun, as you grow it longer you will see it has all kind of reflections and hues. Theres also plenty of ways to spunk up ashy hair without dyeing it permanently, like chamomile tea rinses, cassia (will fade), catnip, walnut bark etc.

Good luck on your decision.

BowTie
November 21st, 2013, 05:50 AM
I'm on Garnier Olia site and the colours I especially like are golden ashy blonde and sandy blonde. I've never dyed my hair myself...

MonaMayfair
November 21st, 2013, 07:14 AM
Nothing wrong with dyeing your hair! But have you considered trying cassia? If your natural color's not too dark, it gives golden tones when dye released (and makes hair thicker too) It washes out in a few week, so no commitment. But if it worked for you, you wouldn't need to worry about possible damage from permanent dyes.
There are also semi permanents that last up to 8 washes and have no peroxide or ammonia (not the ones that say "up to 28 washes, they DO have some peroxide) so are much more gentle on your hair. Some of these come in blonde tones.
At least with more temporary solutions, you can be confident that you won't damage your hair.

Almendra
November 21st, 2013, 07:34 AM
I dye my hair since I am 13. The dye itself doesn't affect too much my hair, but the bleach does. So, I think It's not a big deal. If you eventually want to stop dying your hair, I recomend you to use a similar color to the natural one in your hair, but just one tone darker. That's because, eventually, maybe the color will wash out a little in the bleached hair, so you won't have a big contrast with the natural one. Then, you only let your hair grow natural again and microtrim the bleached/dyed part.
I don't have experience with blonde tones, but I always use Loreal Professional to dye myself (Red tones) and it's the best one that I ever try. It barely wash out and my hair look very healthy after the dye process. But, If you don't want to dye yourself, just look for an stylist you can trust.
Also... If you go for another color and you need to redo your roots, I recommend you to do this every two or three months.

sarahthegemini
November 21st, 2013, 07:35 AM
I was going to suggest Cassia too, MonaMayfair. What are your thoughts on that, BowTie?

JuskarBellerose
November 21st, 2013, 07:50 AM
I would suggest using a Demipermanent or Semipermanent haircolor. They're both no-lift, deposit only. Which means that they don't lighten the hair, just deposit the color. It will fade eventually with each shampoo, but you won't have to worry about the line of demarcation (the line that shows your virgin hair and where the colored part is). Not sure about what color you should pick out, but I hope this helped when trying to pick out a haircolor, without having to worry about growing it out again! :) Good luck!

UP Lisa
November 21st, 2013, 08:24 AM
Well, just keep in mind that fine hair is more easily damaged.

Crumpet
November 21st, 2013, 08:59 AM
Wait until you see the roots better and also keep in mind that they will look dull compared to bleached hair. I agree with the other posters that you could play with cassia and other options first as they are reversable and good for your hair. In the end it is your hair and you should do what makes you happy!

abauer789
November 21st, 2013, 09:10 AM
From my personal experience, you can't really judge your hair color until it reaches past your ears or so. My roots looks dull and ashy, and for years I have wanted to grow it out to natural but all stylists have told me it was a dull dark ash blonde. Guess, what - it is not! I would give it a good chance to grow out and get the feel for how it compliments your skin and eyes. If you really don't care for it, then by all means dye it. But nothing looks prettier in my opinion than a full head of natural color hair! And it should naturally compliment your coloring...that being said you need to be happy and that is all that counts! :D

Liz_park
November 21st, 2013, 10:03 AM
I'm on Garnier Olia site and the colours I especially like are golden ashy blonde and sandy blonde. I've never dyed my hair myself...

Ooo, can I make a suggestion? Stay away from Garnier Olia. The description on the box claims that it will be less damaging to hair and emphasizes that it's full of oils that condition, but it's actually quite damaging. As someone who has tried many, many blonde box colours, I would say it was one of the most damaging ones. I know! It's counterintuitive. If you are going to grab a box dye, I would recommend Garnier Nutrisse more than the Olia. Maybe the Champagne Blonde? (#82)

The Herbashine, maybe the medium blonde is nice too...it is not damaging at all and it might be nice to even out your demarcation line between bleach and virgin hair.

florenonite
November 21st, 2013, 10:38 AM
Judging by your albums, I think your natural colour is similar to mine. IMO its muted tones fit with typical Summer colouring, so if you dye I'd recommend keeping it ashy and not going significantly darker or lighter. That being said, its subtlety also means it doesn't come across the best when compared to dyed hair, which is much more vibrant, so I think you'll get a better idea of whether or not it suits you if you let it grow out for longer.

spidermom
November 21st, 2013, 12:11 PM
I would suggest using a Demipermanent or Semipermanent haircolor. They're both no-lift, deposit only. Which means that they don't lighten the hair, just deposit the color. It will fade eventually with each shampoo, but you won't have to worry about the line of demarcation (the line that shows your virgin hair and where the colored part is). Not sure about what color you should pick out, but I hope this helped when trying to pick out a haircolor, without having to worry about growing it out again! :) Good luck!

I agree with this. Bleached hair is usually pretty porous and will grab onto the color really well. I have naturally porous hair and had "temporary" copper hair color applied in August. It was supposed to last for about 4 weeks but is still there. However, it has gradually faded as the roots have grown in, and it looks very natural, not like the harsh line you get with permanent dye.

Liz_park
November 21st, 2013, 04:08 PM
I would suggest using a Demipermanent or Semipermanent haircolor. They're both no-lift, deposit only.

I would like to second this! If you would like a recommendation, I would get RedKen Shades EQ. It's a demi-permanent deposit only colour. You can order it off amazon. This brand makes my hair super shiny and is completely non-damaging. Plus they have so many colours, and you can mix colours to get the perfect blend.

Here is the colour chart: http://karamel-shop.ru/data/images/Redken_Shades_EQ_chart_m.jpg

For you, it might be nice to try mixing Platinum Ice (09V) with Cafe Au Lait (09N) or even Irish Creme (09NB) to get a lovely toned blonde and even out the bleach and your natural colour.

Springlets
November 22nd, 2013, 09:04 PM
I love this site for color analysis: http://www.thechicfashionista.com/summer-color-analysis.html

I'm another one who grew out their natural hair color and it was so hard at first. I also agree with others that natural hair always looks ashy, "blah" at the roots, and most especially compared to dyed hair (bleach always makes hair warm-colored). When I first started growing out, it did help me to give myself an ombre look by matching my roots with a demi/semi permanent and just placing it on the top half of my hair. That way, I could get more used to the color that my natural hair color would be, while still keeping a bit of the lighter bleached parts that I was used to. Although, in my experience, my natural color turned out to be lighter than I thought it would be, and I am really, really happy I grew it all out.

PorcelainHorror
November 22nd, 2013, 09:35 PM
My natural color is similar to yours and I color it with Matrix hair color. For my level 10 blonde I use a 20 vol developer. If you use a lower vol developer (anything under 20) it won't damage the hair badly.
Even if you use a demi/semi perm dye it will most likely not come completely out of the bleached part of your hair.

PorcelainHorror
November 22nd, 2013, 09:36 PM
I would like to second this! If you would like a recommendation, I would get RedKen Shades EQ. It's a demi-permanent deposit only colour. You can order it off amazon. This brand makes my hair super shiny and is completely non-damaging. Plus they have so many colours, and you can mix colours to get the perfect blend.

Here is the colour chart: http://karamel-shop.ru/data/images/Redken_Shades_EQ_chart_m.jpg

For you, it might be nice to try mixing Platinum Ice (09V) with Cafe Au Lait (09N) or even Irish Creme (09NB) to get a lovely toned blonde and even out the bleach and your natural colour.

I completely agree with this^

niky45
November 23rd, 2013, 12:16 PM
whatever you try, be sure it's not a super-lightening blonde. those have a ton of bleach, and i'm pretty sure you know what bleach does to hair....

dye by itself is not that bad to hair. but bleach is one of the worst things you can do to it.

I'd recommend a demi-permanent, is called? Those that last a few weeks. Which if you wash you hair twice a week, becomes a few months. Those are damage-free (or almost), and... well, I have only ever tried red hued ones, but they didn't fade as badly as some permanent ones....