PDA

View Full Version : Crunchy ends. I want to oil, not sure how, need suggestions.

emilylightning
November 20th, 2013, 10:29 PM
So all we really have is olive oil and vegetable oil [which I don't think anyone uses on their hair, lol] at the moment, but mom might be willing to get me coconut oil. I have no idea how to properly oil my hair. Last time my hair just became a nasty grease ball, and trying to wash the olive oil out was hell :(
My hair is very porous, that might be part of the problem? Idk.

I just washed my hair, as I only do once a week, and my hair feels horrible. I used the exact same stuff as last week, and my hair turned out fine then... maybe I overdid the vinegar or something? :p

If you could either offer personal advice or throw a thread link at me, that'd be great. There are so many oiling threads that it was hard to find what I was looking for specifically.

If at all possible I'd love advice on how to properly use olive oil.

Kaelee
November 20th, 2013, 10:39 PM
whenever my hair gets crunchy or tangly, a good wash with a clarifying shampoo fixes it right up, though that might not be what's going on with yours.

HintOfMint
November 20th, 2013, 10:58 PM
Crunchiness may be due to buildup, so I second the option for clarifying before you try anything else.

As for oils, I have two ways I use them. One way is a pre-wash oiling. I will grease up my hair from roots to ends and either let it soak overnight or maybe for an hour or two before I wash my hair. Some people find that conditioner takes out the oil better than shampoo. I use shampoo, but I do it in two steps. I'll use a small amount of shampoo and concentrate it on the hair above my neck. I'll rinse that out and I'll take another slightly larger amount of shampoo and spread it from roots to tips and lather it up again. I've found that this takes out the greasiness from the oil but doesn't completely blunt the purpose of pre-wash oiling.

Another way is as a leave-in. I'll use a very small amount (less than a dime size) on just the ends of my hair immediately after a wash.

&rea
November 20th, 2013, 11:20 PM
I've had some bad experiences with oiling when I tried it the first couple of times, but I found a routine that works much better with my hair. Here's what I did.

What didn't work for me:

- Applied it directly to my scalp
- Too much oil (Which lead to having to over wash my hair. Over washing lead to heavy shedding and dry hair)
- Using oils that don't work for my hair. My last oiling fiasco was when I used caster oil. It was too thick and heavy, even when mixed with a lighter oil. It left me looking like a grease ball after several washes.

What works for me:

- Using a lighter oil (I like this coconut oil http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spectrum-Naturals-Expeller-Pressed-Organic-Virgin-Coconut-Oil-14-Fl-Oz/15262208)
- Applying it lightly and to my length only
- Allowing it to set for at least four hours
- Applying a little bit of tea tree oil to my scalp

Washing out the oil:
- It normally takes me about 1-2 CO washes to help lift the oil from my hair then I shampoo and condition as normal.

Lyv
November 20th, 2013, 11:36 PM
I would try clarifying first my ends tend to get crunchy feeling if I haven't done it for a while. As for oiling I just do a prewash with coconut oil, I part my hair in half, scoop out about a penny size amount rub it between my hands and run it along the length of one side of my hair and then do the same on the other side. I don't do a lot of oil or it's hard for me to get out then I braid it and co wash it out the next day.

redtuss
November 21st, 2013, 12:07 AM
I will join everyone else in thinking that clarifying is a good first step!
But oils are really nice, I generally put on a few drops of argan oil on my ends and length after washing when it's still wet. The next day I usually think my hair is too clean (it tends to fly a bit after washing) so then I put on some coconut or marula oil on the length, focusing on my ends of course - that makes it look and feel more manageable.

I would recommend you take a few drops of oil on your fingers and put it on the ends and a little bit up your length when it is wet after a wash and see how that works for you. We have a similar hairtype and olive oil on my hair is not working good - it's too heavy even in small amounts. Maybe you can try just one drop and see if it feels right?
It's great you are getting the coconut oil, that is my favourite all-round oil, I use it in my face, on my neck, for my hands and hair. If I'm dry anywhere else it works like a charm everytime :)

emilylightning
November 21st, 2013, 12:20 AM
To the people telling me to clarify: I actually added a small amount of baking soda to my shampoo this time, because I was told that's how some people clarify when they don't have clarifying shampoo, Lol.
I'd used nothing but baking soda and apple cider vinegar for a while, and so I don't think that's what caused the crunchies.

I think I'll try using a veeeeeeeery small amount of olive oil on slightly damp hair.

So, for coconut oil, do you just take it straight from the jar and apply it to your hair? lol, I'm so confused about that. I almost got some once but then I was like "hm if I don't know how to use this then it's kinda stupid to get it..." And it's slightly expensive. At least we can get it on foodstamps :p

---

ETA: So what I did was I dampened my ends a bit with cold water, then poured some olive oil into the cap of the thingy and then i dabbed my finger in it and "brushed" my ends over it like a paintbrush or something lol. Doesn't feel ultra greasy, and for the meantime feels less crunchy but that could be from being wet, who knows? I hope this works, lol.

Lyv
November 21st, 2013, 12:26 AM
To the people telling me to clarify: I actually added a small amount of baking soda to my shampoo this time, because I was told that's how some people clarify when they don't have clarifying shampoo, Lol.
I'd used nothing but baking soda and apple cider vinegar for a while, and so I don't think that's what caused the crunchies.

I think I'll try using a veeeeeeeery small amount of olive oil on slightly damp hair.

So, for coconut oil, do you just take it straight from the jar and apply it to your hair? lol, I'm so confused about that. I almost got some once but then I was like "hm if I don't know how to use this then it's kinda stupid to get it..." And it's slightly expensive. At least we can get it on foodstamps :p

I didn't know you could add baking soda to shampoo to clarify... I couldn't do that though my hair HATES baking soda it turns to a dry mess. You just get it straight out of the jar and it'll melt when you rub it around in your hands. Some people put the jar in warm water to melt it a little (don't microwave it) but that takes too long for me and it's easier to just scoop it out. One jar lasts forever since you need very little unless you cook with it too.

Mandie
November 21st, 2013, 12:30 AM
Perhaps try adding oil to your ends while your hair is wet. I use about a nickle-maybe-quarter sized bit of oil. I rub it between my hands and apply it to the bottom 1/4 of my wet hair. It keeps my hair from looking greasy. That same thing in dry hair? Grease ball. I would try the olive oil out of your options. I actually prefer to use the coconut oil only pre-shower even on damp hair the coconut oil for me ends with greaaaaasy hair.

emilylightning
November 21st, 2013, 12:35 AM
I didn't know you could add baking soda to shampoo to clarify... I couldn't do that though my hair HATES baking soda it turns to a dry mess. You just get it straight out of the jar and it'll melt when you rub it around in your hands. Some people put the jar in warm water to melt it a little (don't microwave it) but that takes too long for me and it's easier to just scoop it out. One jar lasts forever since you need very little unless you cook with it too.

Yay, that's great!
:D I wonder if it smells coconutty?... I looove coconut ♥
Yeah I wouldn't cook with it, I prefer butter! [Real butter! ♥ I haaaate margarine.]

Sillage
November 21st, 2013, 12:38 AM
Emily, you can just scratch your nail over the coconut oil (most people use 76* stuff so it will be hard at room temperature) to pick up a teeny tiny amount.and then rub between your palms to melt. After that try lightly smoothing and patting it over your hair. One word of caution about the coconut oil tho, it's considered acnegenic. Personally I loved what coconut oil did for my hair-- amazing shine and softness-- but it broke me out :(

ETA: coconut oil does smell deliciously coconutty :)

emilylightning
November 21st, 2013, 12:43 AM
Emily, you can just scratch your nail over the coconut oil (most people use 76* stuff so it will be hard at room temperature) to pick up a teeny tiny amount.and then rub between your palms to melt. After that try lightly smoothing and patting it over your hair. One word of caution about the coconut oil tho, it's considered acnegenic. Personally I loved what coconut oil did for my hair-- amazing shine and softness-- but it broke me out :(

ETA: coconut oil does smell deliciously coconutty :)

I'll definitely try not to get any on my face, just as I am with the olive oil. I don't really "break out" per say but I do every once in a while get random, huge pimples. EW! I'd like to not get like 10 all at once :lol:

Yay~ the smell of coconut makes my nose happy :)

Sillage
November 21st, 2013, 12:53 AM
I got breakouts from it even tho I was only using it on my hair-- however I'm really clog and acne prone (I have to stay on a strict regimen to keep my skin clear). It probably won't bother you at all if you only get a pimple or two infrequently.

BTW, you will adore the smell of coconut oil-- it absolutely has the most luscious, toothsome coconutty scent. So edible. I know you like butter but this smells so good you might be tempted to try it for cooking! The only way it can smell better imo is add a touch of lavender. Sounds like a strange combo but I think it's fantastic.

Flor
November 21st, 2013, 02:44 AM
T

Actually it might. Baking soda does build up over time and a lot of people complain about crunchy ends. That was one of the reason I gave up on BS myself. If you just properly shampoo all the length, not just the roots, it should take care of it.

As for oils, I've used various on the ends (jojoba, coconut, olive) and frankly I didn't notice much difference ;) The only thing that matters for me is the amount I apply (teeny tiny) and working first on the ends and the up the length with whatever oil is left of my hands. Also, never on soaking wet hair - will take ages to dry.

Magalo
November 21st, 2013, 07:30 AM
Could be protein overload too? Did you do the strand test?

Amapola
November 21st, 2013, 08:09 AM
Check out this really great video: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhjVwPKMQDYk that shows how to detangle and oil, then use a BBB and put the hair up. This video was so helpful to me and once I watched I totally "got" how to do what she is explainig. This lady is one of my Hair Heroes.

I use coconut oil, as my hair is very fussy and did not like any of the other oils I tried. I found some coconut oil that is rose-scented so it's really a pleasure to use it.