PDA

View Full Version : What toy does your hair spit out (or hopelessly snarl into)

Saldana
November 20th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Just for fun, is there a hair toy/implement your hair simply despises, will not tolerate, tries to destroy, spits out with disdain? Or is there a toy that snarls hopelessly into your hair the second you put it in? And what is your hairtype?

I'll go first -

I am a 1A/1B (moving more towards a 1B as I get older. Or maybe it's the new climate. Dunno.)

Anyway....no matter how long my hair is, or how I arrange it, my hair spits out slides/Flexi-8s almost as fast as I can put them in. If I hold my head *very* still, I can take a picture...but the minute I start moving, my hair starts slithering out...and then the slide/Flexi-8 simply falls onto the floor.

Hairsticks? Love 'em. Ficcares/clips? Yep. Claw clips? Great. Barrettes and scrunchies and elastics? Sure. Bobby pins and hairpins? OK, if I put enough of them in.

But slides and Flexis? My hair simply laughs and spits them out.

Shibe
November 20th, 2013, 07:44 PM
I can never use a hair stick alone- I need to pony first or it seems I can't get it 'rooted' enough to stay :shrug:

Magalo
November 20th, 2013, 08:15 PM
My Ravenscroft moon. :(

Eden Iris
November 20th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Flexi-8s, metal slides -- they're too heavy or slippery and fall right out.

long&blonde
November 20th, 2013, 09:49 PM
2C, 6 inchs inches from classic. Ficarres & claw clips both snag & snarl very easily into my hair upon removal, then requiring a sit down to extricate hair toy project. My hair loves flexi8s-I'll put one in with a ponytail & sleep in it for Days. Maybe whatever size is falling out of your hair? Get a ficcare at least the next size smaller & try again.

long&blonde
November 20th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Sorry! I meant whatever size flexi8's falling out of your hair,get the next size FLEXI8 smaller at least!

Lunnafindel
November 20th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Ficcare. I was so excited to get mine, but it doesn't hold for more than a second. The lower part bends out of shape if I try to use it like a hair stick, and it barely scratches the surface if I try to use it like a claw. Sigh. It's so pretty, I hate to see it languishing in a box...

Kaelee
November 20th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Eaduard squiggly sticks. They're SO COOL LOOKING and I want to love the things, but my hair spits them out and laughs. I can barely get them to hold long enough for an action shot. :(

AspenSong
November 20th, 2013, 10:56 PM
I've got 1a hair and it's fine, so heaviness is usually my issue. I have a beautiful eucalyptus claw from crockettmtnwoodworks, that is gorgeous. It's this wonderful ashy tone and shimmery a bit, I love it. However I cannot keep it in my hair. No securing, no anything keeps it there. It sadly will be on the swap board soon because it's fallen out and been nearly lost, four times now. Can't bear to loose something so pretty, so rehoming is better.

PraiseCheeses
November 20th, 2013, 11:06 PM
A friend gave me one of those Hot Buns thingees. They're covered with many, many plastic loops, like magnified Velcro. Loops are not hooks, so I tried to use it. Silly me.

You know those round brushes? You know how you probably rolled your hair up in one when you were a little kid, thinking it would curl - and you spent the next two or three hours trying to get the brush out of your hair, hoping desperately you wouldn't have to cut it out?

Yeah. Hotbuns = NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE.

Sadly, the only other thing that I struggle with is a stick that my boyfriend made for me. He made me a set of two sticks based on the MC Escher lizard tessellations, and the first lizard tail he made curves so much and so far that insertion and holding is really difficult. Luckily, he asked me for feedback before he made the second one, and the second tail is much straighter and generally holds pretty well, and the first one can usually be finagled into an already stable bun for decoration. :)

Kaelee
November 20th, 2013, 11:11 PM
A friend gave me one of those Hot Buns thingees. They're covered with many, many plastic loops, like magnified Velcro. Loops are not hooks, so I tried to use it. Silly me.

You know those round brushes? You know how you probably rolled your hair up in one when you were a little kid, thinking it would curl - and you spent the next two or three hours trying to get the brush out of your hair, hoping desperately you wouldn't have to cut it out?

Yeah. Hotbuns = NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE.

Sadly, the only other thing that I struggle with is a stick that my boyfriend made for me. He made me a set of two sticks based on the MC Escher lizard tessellations, and the first lizard tail he made curves so much and so far that insertion and holding is really difficult. Luckily, he asked me for feedback before he made the second one, and the second tail is much straighter and generally holds pretty well, and the first one can usually be finagled into an already stable bun for decoration. :)

:laugh: I think my first encounter with a round brush was my last. My mother demanded that I give mine to my grandmother (who has short hair) after she spent quite some time getting it out of my hair.

PraiseCheeses
November 20th, 2013, 11:26 PM
:laugh: I think my first encounter with a round brush was my last. My mother demanded that I give mine to my grandmother (who has short hair) after she spent quite some time getting it out of my hair.

:lol: Round brushes are pure evil for long hair. It seems like many of us have had run-ins with one at one time or another! Kudos to your mom for detangling and disengaging rather than cutting. :)

Sillage
November 21st, 2013, 12:46 AM
Haha, I have a round brush from Sedu that I really like but use with great caution-- they can be very dangerous for long hairs.

My hair doesn't spit out too many toys. Some times the wonderful Magali barrettes I have from France Luxe pop out when I put too much hair in them but otherwise, not really. I have trouble with getting sticks to stay in but that's more an issue of them not being held properly in place the first time rather than being spit out.

Rio040113
November 21st, 2013, 02:22 AM
My Ravenscroft moon. :(

I feel your pain Magalo, I had the same thing when I got mine :( I was so upset, I'd been waiting forever to get one and the best thing is, in my excitement I'd gotten another from the swap board at the same time, so I potentially had 2 moons that wouldn't work for me! Turned out to be the strangest thing, I'm still struggling with my first one but my second moon sits in my buns snug as a bug... There's only .5" difference in size between the 2, which sounds like nothing and I'm sure it's all in my head but maybe another inch or so (growth) and your moon will work for you :)

Bagginslover
November 21st, 2013, 02:34 AM
Eaduard squiggly sticks. They're SO COOL LOOKING and I want to love the things, but my hair spits them out and laughs. I can barely get them to hold long enough for an action shot. :(

I can't get them to hole a center-held bun, but a put-the-stick-through-the-coils type bun holds my squiggly so well, its hard to get back out! I do have one of his first ones though, which is squiggly-er than the ones he makes now, maybe that makes a difference.

My hair doesn't like to give up spin-pins! Once they're in, its wants to keep them! It like to spit out elastics, even the little grippy silicone ones!

Kaelee
November 21st, 2013, 07:44 AM
Oh spin pins are the devil for me too. They don't hold the bun in place, but the bun holds the pins in place! :lol:

swearnsue
November 21st, 2013, 08:01 AM
I can't get hairpins to stay in. When I bought my first package of them I wondered why do they sell them in packs of hundreds? Well, now I know, the are all over the floor, sofa, sheets etc.

Amapola
November 21st, 2013, 08:22 AM
Oh yes! Hairpins! My hair positively LAUGHS at hairpins. (There is one on the floor in front of me right now, I just noticed.) All those really cool braided styles where they say "and then just pin the braid in place" are no-hopers for me. My hair despises pins. Doesn't seem to matter what kind they are, either.

I also have to be careful with things that are really smooth and light. I've got a lovely "hair sword" (I think it's actually a knitting needle with a kind of sword handle on the end) that has been lost and luckily found a couple of times before I figured that out. My hair is so slick things just slide right out.

chen bao jun
November 21st, 2013, 08:37 AM
Bobby pins. the longer ones can work sometimes but the smaller ones basically either come out immediately or keep coming out all day, so I'm like leaving a trail behind, like Hansel and Gretel.
Except for the one that gets lost up there for two to three weeks, and I find it when detangling after washing, pulling some hair out in the process.
Claw clips also give me terrible trouble. They pop right off. At least the long, narrow ones do. the more bear paw clip shaped ones used to hold when I had less hair, but now they are looking overstuffed and about to pop off, too.

Chromis
November 21st, 2013, 08:43 AM
My hair eats anything plastic. Claw clips were a nightmare and I am glad I found sticks and forks instead! My hair also snarls around any sort of ponytail. Scrunchies do horrible things in my hair in ponies or buns. Barrettes=hopeless snarl. Slides just slide on out... Spin spins slithered their way out and I've never figured out decorative hair combs.

I can use hair pins and bobby pins just fine, but prefer not to. I'm pretty sure a round brush would be a Very Bad Idea.

shutterpillar
November 21st, 2013, 09:02 AM
It will not tolerate basic bobby pins - just spits them out no matter how I place them. Spin pins have come to the rescue in that area.

Those tiny little plastic-y ponytail holders are another big problem. I've tried to use them at the bottom of braids and they will get all tangled in my hair even though the end of my braid is pretty darn smooth.

browneyedsusan
November 21st, 2013, 01:02 PM
Barrettes and little clips don't have a prayer. They slide right out.
Sometimes elastics do too. I can, however, wear a barrette over (covering) an elastic and usually it stays.

julee
November 21st, 2013, 03:57 PM
Metal hair barrettes snag my hair terribly...and round brushes as I found when I tried to blow dry my hair once. I thought I was going to have to cut it out!

I also have to be careful of ficcarisimo clips, even though I love them my hair likes to get caught in the spring end

kganihanova
November 21st, 2013, 05:48 PM
Those flower decorated spin pins and fakkares.

jasper
November 21st, 2013, 09:16 PM
My hair spits out basic hair pins.

Flexi-8s will break my hair by grabbing it between those little beads.

Seeshami
November 21st, 2013, 09:19 PM
All toys known to man

The Naughty Mess says, "And some aliens too. You don't know what I do at night Seeshami."

Chromis
November 21st, 2013, 09:26 PM
All toys known to man

The Naughty Mess says, "And some aliens too. You don't know what I do at night Seeshami."

But I do! Mwahahahaha!

Haha, and just typing that made me feel like a Creepy McCreeperson. Where's that darn fish chastity belt gone again...

Seeshami
November 21st, 2013, 09:31 PM
The Naughty Mess says, "It was a secret and now you told her."

Chromis I could never see you as a creeper. You don't wear all black and a face mask in any of your pictures.

Chromis
November 21st, 2013, 09:40 PM
Heh, you got me there. I showed to work once wearing all black and my very surprised boss asked me if I was going to a funeral after work :lol:

I have, however, been known to wear a facemask!
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2681/4120001507_0d417a6b7b.jpg
Nice for keeping my nose warm in winter

0xalis
November 21st, 2013, 09:46 PM
My hair eats bobbypins, and spits out my satin scrunchie ONLY when doing a looped-ponytail-bun-type-thing. It's like NOPE! ponytail time! Uhg. :rolleyes:

Seeshami
November 22nd, 2013, 08:10 AM
Heh, you got me there. I showed to work once wearing all black and my very surprised boss asked me if I was going to a funeral after work :lol:

I have, however, been known to wear a facemask!
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2681/4120001507_0d417a6b7b.jpg
Nice for keeping my nose warm in winter

But you look so sweet and innocent even face masked. Well maybe just a touch ornery.

ositarosita
November 22nd, 2013, 08:50 AM
My hair is mystique style ( meaning it can be anything from 1c to 2c ) it laughs in the face of EVERYTHING.... I can only use an elastic once before I have to throw it out because it breaks them.. it spits out bobby pins and hair sticks ... the only thing it will allow are hair combs and jaw clips.. even those can be iffy some days.

Fairlight63
November 22nd, 2013, 09:03 AM
My hair spits out hair sticks. I wish that I could use small jaw clips but they get hopelessly tangled in my fine hair. Even as long as my hair is (hip length) it is so thin & fine that I am still using the small size Ficcare's. Even with those I have to be careful taking them out that they don't get tangled in my hair.

YamaMaya
November 22nd, 2013, 11:09 AM
oddly enough, bobby pins, I don't know if it's just that I'm not using them right, or if my bun is just too thick/heavy, but I cannot for the life of me pin a bun, thank goodness for spin pins :p

Lirona
November 22nd, 2013, 11:21 AM
Oh yes! Hairpins! My hair positively LAUGHS at hairpins. (There is one on the floor in front of me right now, I just noticed.) All those really cool braided styles where they say "and then just pin the braid in place" are no-hopers for me. My hair despises pins. Doesn't seem to matter what kind they are, either.

Fellow 1a/F/ii here, and YES. Any, any tutorial with "just use a bobby pin or two to secure it." HAHAHAHAHA, never gonna happen. My hair says: "that's cute," and slithers out (perfect word for it, Saldana), leaving the bobby pin on my head but not holding anything. :doh:

Using spin pins was a magical experience for me, though, I couldn't believe they actually worked.

Saldana
November 22nd, 2013, 06:16 PM
Interesting! It seems (loosely) that the 1A/1B type folk maybe have more trouble with the straight, heavy, slidey things (like slides, and maybe hair sticks), while the wavier/curlier folks have (not surprisingly) more issues with 'prong-y' things like spin pins and claw clips.

And everybody's hair seems to hate bobby pins. Including mine. Actually, my hair is more like "oh...huh....are you going to put about 800 of those things in this bun? Because if you don't, the bun is DOWN. And I mean NOW." And then it slides out from under the bobby pin, leaving the pin sitting on my head holding nothing (thank you for that image, Lirona - it's perfect!). A variation on that theme is if I use....oh...let's say 793 bobby pins, instead of the requested 800. My hair will s...l...o...w...l...y expel the bobby pins, millimeter by millimeter. If I remember to periodically reach up and jam them back in, it's all good. Otherwise? Yep. I wander around scattering bobby pins thither and yon, like some sort of deciduous porcupine.

And those old-fashioned pins, about the size of a bobby pin, but u-shaped with a crimp-looking part in the middle? I haven't a clue how those work....but I'm pretty sure my hair would growl and then spit those out.

Oh, and I don't know how many cheap plastic Target hair claws it has shattered. Word to the wise? A claw clip with only 3 surviving prongs doesn't hold hair. At all.

TrapperCreekD
November 22nd, 2013, 08:48 PM
Bobby pins, especially the ones with the end like this: |/ They spring open very quickly - a couple hours - and promptly spit out. Small hair ties. No matter how nicely I separate my hair to make a small pony, every time when I go to take it down it has somehow snarled around the elastic so bad that I have to cut the tie to avoid ripping my hair out. :justy:

I haven't used a Ficcare or Flexi yet, so I'm not sure if my hair would laugh at them or like them.

Sillage
November 22nd, 2013, 08:55 PM
And those old-fashioned pins, about the size of a bobby pin, but u-shaped with a crimp-looking part in the middle? I haven't a clue how those work....but I'm pretty sure my hair would growl and then spit those out.

I don't understand how those are supposed to work either :ponder:. I have them and my hair spits them out (but BunHead pins and those plain U shaped ones you can get at Sally's hold ok as do traditional bobby pins).

kysgrl
November 22nd, 2013, 10:41 PM
2a My hair hate spin pins, barrettes, banana clips and those circle comb headband things.

YamaMaya
November 23rd, 2013, 05:32 AM
Interesting! It seems (loosely) that the 1A/1B type folk maybe have more trouble with the straight, heavy, slidey things (like slides, and maybe hair sticks), while the wavier/curlier folks have (not surprisingly) more issues with 'prong-y' things like spin pins and claw clips.

And everybody's hair seems to hate bobby pins. Including mine. Actually, my hair is more like "oh...huh....are you going to put about 800 of those things in this bun? Because if you don't, the bun is DOWN. And I mean NOW." And then it slides out from under the bobby pin, leaving the pin sitting on my head holding nothing (thank you for that image, Lirona - it's perfect!). A variation on that theme is if I use....oh...let's say 793 bobby pins, instead of the requested 800. My hair will s...l...o...w...l...y expel the bobby pins, millimeter by millimeter. If I remember to periodically reach up and jam them back in, it's all good. Otherwise? Yep. I wander around scattering bobby pins thither and yon, like some sort of deciduous porcupine.

Oh, and I don't know how many cheap plastic Target hair claws it has shattered. Word to the wise? A claw clip with only 3 surviving prongs doesn't hold hair. At all.

This would explain why even when I pull off a 1 stick bun I still have to stick a few spin pins in so I'm not paranoid that my hair will spit out the stick.

kmoc123
November 23rd, 2013, 09:24 PM
I love how you worded this question! My hair does seem to have a personality all of it's own. It spits out bobbie pins for the most part, laughs at small hair sticks, and is very temperamental about conditioners and shampoos. I use claw clips (two medium ones at a time) when I put it up in a cinnamon buns.

scorpio17910
November 23rd, 2013, 11:19 PM
I'm another on the bobby-pin-bandwagon. Also, my hair tends to violently dispel barrette-type things. If I ever try using either, my hair grins evilly and waits until the most inopportune time to spit them out. I actually had my hair fling a barrette two rows behind me in the middle of a concert once! (It's a miracle it missed both the other people and their violins.) My director looked at me with a really weird expression (not possible to explain, just know it's REALLY funny) and asked me post concert what happened. The expression on his face when I said my hair made my barrette explode -- PRICELESS!!

Just about anything else is a go for me -- Flexi8s, slides, sticks, claws, headbands . . . I can even get ribbon to hold my hair, if I do it properly. :shrug:

Islandgrrl
November 23rd, 2013, 11:26 PM
Spin pins are my nemesis. I spin them in, my hair spins them out.

Barrettes typically either slide out or explode out, as in they will not stay closed. And flexi-8s slide out, too. My hair is, I think, 1c ish.

NaClH2O
November 23rd, 2013, 11:36 PM
My hair HATED Quattro sticks. I would put them up in a bun, and they would promptly slide right out. I have never had such a problem with sticks before as I did with those. I sold them within days of getting them in the mail, it just wasn't meant to be.

My hair also hated those plastic octopus clips back in the day when I wore them (pre-LHC). I broke so many of those little teeth off.

ravenreed
November 24th, 2013, 12:08 AM
I have trouble with metal sticks and forks unless they are textured like the Quattro items or the Mairzydozey forks.

lilliemer
November 24th, 2013, 08:29 PM
My hair will hold anything even a bic pen but I cannot ever keep a decorative comb in it. I had a really beautiful one from nightblooming that escaped from my hair during a wedding (i can't figure out how). She was nice enough to remake a new one for me as a custom order, but I am now afraid to wear it :justy:

fluffypuffy
November 25th, 2013, 12:08 AM
Any hair elastic I put in there manages to yank out some hairs as it comes out >.<. Also, for some reason, even when my hair was really thick, lobster clips never would stay in :/

Saldana
November 25th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Interesting....NaClH2o's hair hates Quattro hairsticks, while in the very next post, ravenreed's hair won't tolerate hairsticks *unless* they're Quattro! And I'm not even sure what Quattro sticks are....sounds like maybe they're textured...?

And I forgot about decorative combs. Seriously, the only way one of those would ever stay in my hair is if I superglued it. :/

Long_hair_bear
November 25th, 2013, 07:43 PM
A TT in a cinnabun.

Chromis
November 25th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Quattro sticks are skinny metal things with microgrooves.

Oh man, I love my TT stiks, but I can't use them in a cinnabun either! They are great in LWBs or Nauties, but they slip with out of cinnabuns. Cinnabuns for me require two regular sticks or one fork.

MandyBeth
November 25th, 2013, 11:23 PM
My hair -

Anything plastic. Snappy McSnaperton.

Amish pins. Seriously hair? You like fine metal forks from Quattro, you can't hold an Amish pin?

Dymondwood. I curse it's name. Splitty McSpliterson here. My hair delaminates it.

My hair wants to eat my glasses and earrings, but I don't let it.

Elastics - two rounds falls out, three pops the seam.

My issues are from cat fine hair that fluffs up loose or tailed, but braid or twist, it either is too loose so it slips or it compacts down hard, so pins use the hair as a diving board and dymondwood separates into it's layers.

Curly Daughter -

She's worse on elastics! She can't wear store versions!

Bobby and Amish pins to secure. The weight pulls them out.

Beaded toppers as her curls weave into those.

Tangle Teezer! Post festival when we did the major detangle, despite being crazy careful and she had no complaints about pulling and she's very freaked out by pulling - the teeth got mashed flat, then popped it apart and broke the tabs to keep it in once piece.

It likes to tangle around her riding helmet straps.

Straight haired daughter -

She's good at popping claw clip springs.

Spin pins - which are a miracle to my hair, and curly girlie uses them daily - don't seem to grip the bun to scalp.

Anything added to a braid is tangled in.

Anything highly finished (TT, Grahtoe, acrylic) slithers down.

chen bao jun
November 26th, 2013, 06:58 AM
I don't think bobby pins were created to hold hair up. They are supposed to be used just to hold little amounts of hair back. (My problem is that I have no 'little' amounts of hair)
Amish pins work for me but they have to be the longer kind with crinkles, not the short straight kind.
Hairpins work for me if used properly (took me a long time to figure out how this is)--you have to insert like a hair stick. Put in facing one way and flip around the other way. but they feel so slight, I prefer Amish pins (long, with crinkles)
Having pretty dense curls that I am not able to comb, essentially (fingercomb) I can't use most decorative hair combs. I forgot this the other day and bought some African butterfly comb type thing and those combs will not penetrate my hair. Oh, well.