PDA

View Full Version : silicones and hair "thickness"

gonzobird
November 20th, 2013, 04:49 PM
I almost never ever use silicones in my hair, but sometimes in Winter its nice to have the extra soft, slippery, super detangled feeling. (helps with scarves to keep away those neck hair dreadlocks)

I am just wondering if this happens to anybody else....

Every time I use silicones, my hair is sooo soft and sleek, it almost seems like there's way less of it; like my ponytail thinned out. So I freak it slightly and check my ponytail, and it is a bit smaller. And when I grab all my hair, it seems like theres less of it. Is it just that "smoothed" out from the silicones that it seems that way? I know it cant be smaller, it just really seems that way.

Does this happen to anyone else?

sarahthegemini
November 20th, 2013, 04:56 PM
I don't know whether this will answer your question, but as soon as I stopped using silicones, my hair had more body. Weird huh.

morrigan*
November 20th, 2013, 05:17 PM
I noticed this too, it feels like it's so sleek it compact in pony, also i can't get buns to stay, but it looks great and no tangling.

ludwig20
November 20th, 2013, 05:19 PM
This happens to me, too. Cones can be helpful for my hair texture but my hair feels flatter and thinner.

gonzobird
November 20th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Ohhh good. It's not just me. My ponytail is about 4 or 4.25 inches, and it's like 3 when theres silicones in it. Crazy. Feels like so much less. I ran out of my normal cone free detangler and had to use some other stuff laying around. My hair feels like silk and didn't get caught up all dreaded in my scarf, but feels like so much less! The good with the bad, I guess.

Thanks everyone!

HintOfMint
November 20th, 2013, 06:00 PM
My ponytail circumference doesn't change much, I don't think, but silicones definitely take a lot of body out of my hair. The poof is gone and it's much sleeker. It also feels a bit thinner too, which also freaks me out until I feel my ponytail base and it's still as thick as ever.

I also need silicones in the winter, there's absolutely no question about that.

gonzobird
November 20th, 2013, 06:08 PM
HintOfMint, I have pretty fine hair, but a decent amount of it, so my ponytail feels extra small today, but it seemed huge/normal the other day with no cones, so it for sure makes its smaller. I might have used an excessive amount though, too, not sure. My poof is gone, too. Are your individual hair on the thicker side?

turquoisedays
November 20th, 2013, 06:23 PM
I haven't noticed a difference with my ponytail circumference with silicones or without. The only difference I notice with silicones is that my damage is less visible.

LaurelSpring
November 20th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Silicones make my hair feel so thin and everything slips right out. I hate it! Not using them I have much thinker hair and grab. I never realized I had so much wave in my hair until I stopped using silicones. It made a huge difference.

sourgrl
November 20th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Cones make my hair skinny and kill my waves. But as the weather has gotten colder where I'm at I've discovered cones help keep moisture in my hair. So skinny hair is in for me this winter. I'll enjoy my full waves again in the spring.

gonzobird
November 20th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Yes! Everyones made me feel better. Once a year or so when nothing is wrong, I convince myself my hair isn't as thick as it used to be, then I stop thinking about it and its fine. I havent' used silicones in well over a year, and used some now the the past two washes and holy moly, my hair feels soooo skinny!!! But so silky, too. Glad I'm not losing my mind. :) Thanks!