PDA

View Full Version : The strangest thing I've used so far to hold up my hair.. For a truly Well-Done updo!

slyviolet
November 20th, 2013, 03:08 PM
So after a morning of happily reading through pages and pages of TLHC threads, watching updo tutorials, and all the while happily grooming, stroking, massaging, and playing with my hair....

I decided to see if I could get a bun to actually stay up.

When my hair was long, I used to love wearing it up in a cinnabun held with one hairstick. So, I went on an adventure in my house to find a nice hairstick substitute (my hair toys, what remains of them at least, are at my parents' house -- I hope to raid the storage when I'm home for the holidays, and see what long-lost treasures I can reclaim!)

It was an epic Goldilocksian venture of various stick-like objects in my home. This one's too short... this one's too long... this one's too heavy... this one's far too snaggy...

Until.... at the back of a drawer....

An old, broken meat thermometer. It must have wended its way all the way to the back after becoming obsolete when we bought the replacement digital one. Clean, dry, nice smooth probe with a rounded tapered tip, and the doneness display (which is a compass-like disc with doneness around the perimeter with a spinning indicator hand, kind of like a perpendicular clock face on top of the probe) provides slight heft without it being topheavy.

It's perfect! The dial snuggles right down next to my bun, the whole thing holds my hair in place really nicely, and the whole arrangement makes me giggle!

I wish I were allowed to post pictures, I want to show it to you all so much! Ha ha ha!

I can finally start doing updos, this one is particularly rare :yumm:

martyna_22
November 20th, 2013, 03:11 PM
You have your own dinglehopper :) Nice, I'm not usually that creative. Congratulations on being able to put your hair up and good luck on your hair journey! :)

Sillage
November 20th, 2013, 03:18 PM
LOL SlyViolet! Thanks for sharing a tale of your extra rare updo. :)

slyviolet
November 20th, 2013, 03:27 PM
martyna_22, YES! Ha ha ha! I adore that scene. In fact, I've been thinking how amazing a hair toy fashioned out of an antique piece of silverware would be... now that would be the dinglehoppiest of all! ;)

slyviolet
November 20th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Thank you [B]Sillage[B], glad you saw what I did there :P

spidermom
November 20th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Good innovation. I once used a digital thermometer because I was sitting here working, got hot, and the thermometer was right next to my work station. It held for awhile.

0xalis
November 21st, 2013, 01:03 AM
Wow... that actually sounds like a great idea! I just lost my only hairstick and I have no idea where it ran off to. Too bad we actually use our current meat thermometer, lol.