PDA

View Full Version : A question for UK LHCers: non-SLS shampoos in Boots?

stachelbeere
November 20th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Hi everyone,

I have a quick but rather urgent matter - my non-SLS shampoo has been discontinued and I still haven't found a good substitution and I'm sort of running out of it :( My boyfriend is flying (this Saturday) over from the UK and he'll be able to get me stuff from Boots at the airport. Do you have any suggestions regarding non-SLS/ natural/ gentle shampoos that he could purchase at Boots?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

UPDATE:

First of all, thank you for all your suggestions! In the end my boyfriend got me the Organix coconut milk and the Naked Shine Hydrating poo. So far I only tested the organix one on him and wooow.... his hair was so incredibly shiny, sleek and not dried out at all (he usually abuses his hair with a daily Tresemme wash which is loaded with lots of SLS and other...stuff). He has coarse, straight jet black hair and that daily washing is making his hair poofyish and dry and oily the next day. I hope I'll convince him to switch to Organix :)

anyway. I haven't tested it on myself yet - but if I see an incredible difference I'll post it here :)

monsoonstorm
November 20th, 2013, 11:16 AM
L'oreal everpure (or whatever) is probably your best bet

KellieMai
November 20th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Shampoo's from Organix are pretty gentle. I like the coconut milk one :)

stachelbeere
November 20th, 2013, 12:01 PM
thanks a lot for the replies! I think I'll go with Organix, I've read some good things about the coconut milk one just now. Does anyone else have a different suggestion?
I'm mainly WO but 3 times a month or so my hair need a shampoo kick ;)

Juniper.
November 20th, 2013, 12:09 PM
The Naked range is good and the whole haircare range was on sale when I was in Boots at the weekend. :)

Here (http://www.nakedbodycare.co.uk/hair-shampoo-conditioner) are their products.

stachelbeere
November 20th, 2013, 12:36 PM
thank you, Juniper :)

I'm sort of overwhelmed by the variety of Naked products and am not too sure what to get now - at first I thought of the Naked Volume Body Building Shampoo – fine to greasy hair (http://www.nakedbodycare.co.uk/naked-volume-body-building-shampoo-fine-to-greasy-hair); because that's what my hair is; fine and oily; but on the other hand I don't want it to dry my hair out...? Everyone's hair is oily at some point!
So I though of the Naked Shine Hydrating Shampoo – normal to dry hair (http://www.nakedbodycare.co.uk/naked-shine-hydrating-shampoo-normal-to-dry-hair).

I think I should go with the Shine Hydrating shampoo... I hope it'll be on sale at the airport as well.

Or should I go with Organix...? Argh, too many options :/

Suze2012
November 20th, 2013, 12:47 PM
I've read a few reviews of Naked...not great reviews..but these could well be from folk who expect them to behave as normal SLS shamppos and silicone products do.

L'Oreal Eversleek SLS free (golden brown tube) is what I use. For me it does foam quite a lot and does feel quite shampooey though. I only use it when I need a refresh about four times a year or less (or if I heavy oil - which I don't do enough!)
I also have good reports of Bodyshop Rainforest shampoo which is SLS free but I haven't tried it yet.

Juniper.
November 20th, 2013, 01:08 PM
thank you, Juniper :)

I'm sort of overwhelmed by the variety of Naked products and am not too sure what to get now - at first I thought of the Naked Volume Body Building Shampoo fine to greasy hair (http://www.nakedbodycare.co.uk/naked-volume-body-building-shampoo-fine-to-greasy-hair); because that's what my hair is; fine and oily; but on the other hand I don't want it to dry my hair out...? Everyone's hair is oily at some point!
So I though of the Naked Shine Hydrating Shampoo normal to dry hair (http://www.nakedbodycare.co.uk/naked-shine-hydrating-shampoo-normal-to-dry-hair).

I think I should go with the Shine Hydrating shampoo... I hope it'll be on sale at the airport as well.

Or should I go with Organix...? Argh, too many options :/

I'm actually using the body building one at the moment on my fine but non-greasy hair. It doesn't dry my hair out, but I don't use it neat. I dilute a little in a 500ml water bottle, top up with water and use that for 3 washes. It lathers well that way, cleans my hair perfectly well and is more economical. My best friend also uses their 'poo and has no complaints but of course everyone's hair is different (she uses the mild one for sensitive scalps).

stachelbeere
November 20th, 2013, 01:43 PM
I'm actually using the body building one at the moment on my fine but non-greasy hair. It doesn't dry my hair out, but I don't use it neat. I dilute a little in a 500ml water bottle, top up with water and use that for 3 washes. It lathers well that way, cleans my hair perfectly well and is more economical. My best friend also uses their 'poo and has no complaints but of course everyone's hair is different (she uses the mild one for sensitive scalps).

that's sort of how I use shampoo as well.
Well, I actually need something to get rid of excess sebum so I guess in the end it doesn't matter which one I'd choose.

I've just been reading some of the reviews of the Naked body building poo. This one deserves a 'definitely not a TLHCer/ facepalm of the day' award :D

"I bought this shampoo because I have very fine hair and wanted a natural product to thicken it up a bit. However, I found this shampoo to be very disapointing. I needed loads of it to form a reasonable lather and it left my hair VERY dry and unmanageable.
My hair didn't look any different either. I won't buy this again."

monsoonstorm
November 20th, 2013, 02:08 PM
I don't know to be honest, I tried the naked one once as it was the only option (was ridiculously priced at the time too) I found it dried my scalp horrendously. Don't know what it was, something in it just didn't agree with my head.

verenikiscoma
November 21st, 2013, 03:11 AM
Timotei Organic Delight, you can find it in Boots.

bunzfan
November 21st, 2013, 03:19 AM
i tried the naked range the marshmallow shampoo and my hair was like straw :( the dr organics range from Holland and Barrett isn't bad.

Coolcombination
November 21st, 2013, 04:41 AM
I always go for timotei pure shampoo or the naked range, the purple/grey bottle I think

GeoJ
November 21st, 2013, 04:50 AM
The last time I was at Boots I bought the Naked Shine shampoo and the Naked Smooth conditioner. I spent a long time reading the labels to come to that decision. This combination has worked well for my hair and scalp (which gets itchy with a lot of things, but not this). So well that after I ran out of it, I decided to buy it online & have it shipped over to me.

pixiestar
November 21st, 2013, 07:51 AM
Personally I do not like Naked or timotei. I like L'oreal eversleek smoothing and nourish and the everriche conditioner nourishing flowing, only these in the range have no cones, some of the shampoos have a cone.

pixiestar
November 21st, 2013, 07:54 AM
SOme of the Organix shampoos have cones, just to let you know.

Paranda Belle
November 21st, 2013, 09:04 AM
The tresemme naturals range has a good shampoo - but it does have a tiny bit of dimethecone in it, which my hair likes in small quantities.

stachelbeere
November 21st, 2013, 02:24 PM
Thanks a lot for your replies, I shall look into it tonight... so many options!

I sort of decided to get the organix coconut milk one and the Naked Body building 'poo, but after having read some of your replies I'm not too sure about the Naked one - straw hair is not what I'm going for. Then again, I dilute my shampoo when applying and I still have time until tomorrow to decide completely.

SOme of the Organix shampoos have cones, just to let you know.

what...??? The coconut milk one hopefully doesn't have cones in it, right?
Here is the ingredients list, it doesn't seem like it:

DI Water - Aqua , Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine , Glycol Distearate , Dimethicone Copolyol , Cetyl Alcohol , Cocamide DEA , Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride , Polyquaternium-11 , Panthenol , DMDM Hydantoin , Silk Amino Complex , Coconut Milk , Egg White Protein , Coconut Oil , Tocopheryl Acetate , Fragrance. 13 Fl Oz./384.5ml

I DEEFINITELY don't want cones. Ideally, I would want the ingredients list to be as simple and short as possible - like my old 'poo.

Then again, I was tempted by the lingering coconut fragrance of the Organix one...

EDIT: IT DOES...???? Dimethicone Copolyol

verenikiscoma
November 21st, 2013, 02:29 PM
I have very little chemistry background but I thought Dimethicone Copolyol is silicone.

stachelbeere
November 21st, 2013, 03:52 PM
I have very little chemistry background but I thought Dimethicone Copolyol is silicone.

it is. But it's water soluble, according to this (http://www.ehow.com/about_5057373_dimethicone-copolyol.html)

I wonder if this means that it will not cause buildup?
Paranda Belle do you need to clarify, when you use the Tresemme products with dimethicone?

Personally I do not like Naked or timotei. I like L'oreal eversleek smoothing and nourish and the everriche conditioner nourishing flowing, only these in the range have no cones, some of the shampoos have a cone.

Pixiestar After a long search I found both L'oreal Everpure on boots.com, but it was really hard finding the ingredients list. It contains cones... :( so I can cross that one off my list.
But I also found L'oreal eversleek after a long search - and I think the ingredients list is okay, it doesn't seem to have any ingredients that would cause buildup - I think.

L'Oreal Hair Expertise EverSleek Reparative Smoothing Shampoo- Water , Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate , Larueth-5 Carboxylic Acid , Sodium Chloride , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Glycerin , PEG-150 Distearate , Fragrance , Sodium Benzoate , Sodium Lauroyl Glutamate , Polyquaternium-10 , Salicylic Acid , Hexyl Cinnamal , Linalool , Benzyl Salicylate , Helianthus Annuus Seed Extract (Sunflower Seed Extract) , Limonene , Benzyl Alcohol , Citronellol , Sodium Hydroxide , Lactic Acid

What do you guys think? I really don't want it to cause me any buildup, I just want it to clean my scalp and roots.

monsoonstorm
November 21st, 2013, 05:07 PM
Not sure if it's in boots, but enliven is in my local supermarket here. Bog standard, cheap, no frills conditioner. Not sure what the shampoo contains though.

Conditioner is good for co in my experience

pixiestar
November 22nd, 2013, 12:15 AM
it is. But it's water soluble, according to this (http://www.ehow.com/about_5057373_dimethicone-copolyol.html)

Paranda Belle do you need to clarify, when you use the Tresemme products with dimethicone?

Pixiestar After a long search I found both L'oreal Everpure on boots.com, but it was really hard finding the ingredients list. It contains cones... :( so I can cross that one off my list.
But I also found L'oreal eversleek after a long search - and I think the ingredients list is okay, it doesn't seem to have any ingredients that would cause buildup - I think.

L'Oreal Hair Expertise EverSleek Reparative Smoothing Shampoo- Water , Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate , Larueth-5 Carboxylic Acid , Sodium Chloride , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Glycerin , PEG-150 Distearate , Fragrance , Sodium Benzoate , Sodium Lauroyl Glutamate , Polyquaternium-10 , Salicylic Acid , Hexyl Cinnamal , Linalool , Benzyl Salicylate , Helianthus Annuus Seed Extract (Sunflower Seed Extract) , Limonene , Benzyl Alcohol , Citronellol , Sodium Hydroxide , Lactic Acid

What do you guys think? I really don't want it to cause me any buildup, I just want it to clean my scalp and roots.

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod3110521&categoryId=cat110148
The one I have says no silicone on the front, if you check the link and do a close up it says no silcones on the front :) Not exactly the one I have but similar, (this is us version)

stachelbeere
November 22nd, 2013, 03:38 AM
http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod3110521&categoryId=cat110148
The one I have says no silicone on the front, if you check the link and do a close up it says no silcones on the front :) Not exactly the one I have but similar, (this is us version)

gotcha. just had a 'closer' look at the packaging, it says no silicones. yay for that! :) I think it's time for me to wrap this up and make a 'preference' list for my bf so if the Boots at Gatwick airport doesn't have my preferred product on the list, it contains the next one.

I checked 'enliven' on the boots site but couldn't find anything monsoonstorm :/

The dimethicone vs buildup question is quiet crucial for me here as well, though, as I don't know if I can include the Organix shampoo on that list.

monsoonstorm
November 22nd, 2013, 03:46 AM
one thing to bare in mind, the boots at airports are quite small and may not carry very large ranges. Boots airside in Heathrow is quite pathetic.

You could ask him to go before he gets to the airport, but of course then you need to take into account the whole liquids thing.

stachelbeere
November 22nd, 2013, 04:01 AM
one thing to bare in mind, the boots at airports are quite small and may not carry very large ranges. Boots airside in Heathrow is quite pathetic.

You could ask him to go before he gets to the airport, but of course then you need to take into account the whole liquids thing.

funny you should say that - he actually accidentally bought the Organix poo already ;)
He can't take it with him as they'll never let him through safety check; unless he fills three 100 ml bottles with it...

As far as I remember there are two Boots at Gatwick - one is medical and tiny and the other one is... decent. Not too big.

monsoonstorm
November 22nd, 2013, 04:03 AM
tell him to buy a suitcase, do a major shop and check it in :P

Paranda Belle
November 22nd, 2013, 04:05 AM

I find my hair likes a bit of sillicone and dimethecone is a sillicone. I never use anything that has a cone listed as a 2nd or thrid ingredient. As it is a small quantity it gives a bit of slip, but I don't feel the need to clarify. I don't get that coating that I used to in my pre lhc days.

stachelbeere
November 22nd, 2013, 04:08 AM
I find my hair likes a bit of sillicone and dimethecone is a sillicone. I never use anything that has a cone listed as a 2nd or thrid ingredient. As it is a small quantity it gives a bit of slip, but I don't feel the need to clarify. I don't get that coating that I used to in my pre lhc days.

thanks for the reply :)

how do you use your shampoo; do you dilute it?

Paranda Belle
November 22nd, 2013, 04:15 AM
thanks for the reply :)

how do you use your shampoo; do you dilute it?

No I use is neat on the scalp and length - but then I only wash my hair every 1.5 - 2 weeks.

stachelbeere
November 22nd, 2013, 04:23 AM
No I use is neat on the scalp and length - but then I only wash my hair every 1.5 - 2 weeks.

okay! :) It seems like it might not do me any harm after all.

stachelbeere
November 22nd, 2013, 07:30 AM
tell him to buy a suitcase, do a major shop and check it in :P

sorry! didn't see your reply until now.
Naaaah... :P although this weekend is my birthday, sooo it might work :P
But he said that he'll try to fill the shampoo in smaller bottles, if that won't work out he'll just keep it and use it ;)
...or I will, when I come over :D

Although there is somebody I know who sometimes makes unreasonable decisions; he once wasn't let through security at the airport because he had a shampoo bottle. Instead of chucking the bottle away he payed a lot of money to get his carry-on checked in. Later on, my other friend (who was with him on the trip) said she never washed her hair with a more expensive shampoo in her life :P

stachelbeere
November 25th, 2013, 03:52 AM
Here is what I already posted in the update on the first post:

First of all, thank you for all your suggestions! In the end my boyfriend got me the Organix coconut milk and the Naked Shine Hydrating poo. So far I only tested the organix one on him and wooow.... his hair was so incredibly shiny, sleek and not dried out at all (he usually abuses his hair with a daily Tresemme wash which is loaded with lots of SLS and other...stuff). He has coarse, straight jet black hair and that daily washing is making his hair poofyish and dry and oily the next day. I hope I'll convince him to switch to Organix :)

anyway. I haven't tested it on myself yet - but if I see an incredible difference I'll post it here :)