PDA

View Full Version : Helllpp me!

dnk526
November 19th, 2013, 10:46 AM
So I have not cut my hair in over 2 years. It is currently waist length. However, I just recently started getting split ends and Im scared It is going to split to the top (God forbid) but i dont want to cut bc my hair dresser says three inches to make not dry my ends are little dry but not super dry cant i just use good conditioner?? What will happen with my split ends?? Cant I just wait till i get three inch past waist length then cut? How bad will it get?

This is very important to me because after i reach waist length (with no dead ends) I need to grow my hair to classic length to donate it to locks of love. Please help me with tips about my ends without cutting!

thanks,

HintOfMint
November 19th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Before you donate to Locks of Love, I'd read this article.

Splits can travel up, and breakage can stem your growing plans. I'd be very firm with your hairdresser and only ask for half an inch (in case she does the "hairdresser's inch" which is usually double what you ask for), if in fact your splits are just starting and are thus only at the very bottom of your hair. If you have more damage than that, then conditioner doesn't really help it at all, it can only be cut off.

There's a difference between damage (splits and breakage) and regular dryness.

Jolly-Good-Show
November 19th, 2013, 11:37 AM
I've heard using the term "dusting" is a good idea, if you want to make sure your hairdresser only removes the splits. Remember split ends are irreversible. The sooner you cut them the better, they will only get worse!! Tell your hairdresser about your plans to grow to classic length and wanting to donate it. Be clear and say how important it is to you.

On a side note, I have heard that locks of love aren't a good charity at all. I think they just sell a lot of the hair. Someone else might be able to pitch in about this, I don't know enough. Just what I've read on the internet.

dnk526
November 19th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Before you donate to Locks of Love, I'd read this article.

Splits can travel up, and breakage can stem your growing plans. I'd be very firm with your hairdresser and only ask for half an inch (in case she does the "hairdresser's inch" which is usually double what you ask for), if in fact your splits are just starting and are thus only at the very bottom of your hair. If you have more damage than that, then conditioner doesn't really help it at all, it can only be cut off.

There's a difference between damage (splits and breakage) and regular dryness.

only a teeny tiny bit in the bottom but im scared they will cut more! then like 2 inch before that is little dry but i did see like 8 split ends tho

ositarosita
November 19th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Why don't you just buy a pair of hair shears then search and destroy .. it won't touch your length but you cut off all the split ends individually

dnk526
November 19th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Why don't you just buy a pair of hair shears then search and destroy .. it won't touch your length but you cut off all the split ends individually

like how individually cut them off? just the one strand?it wont b noticeable right

dnk526
November 19th, 2013, 11:57 AM
I've heard using the term "dusting" is a good idea, if you want to make sure your hairdresser only removes the splits. Remember split ends are irreversible. The sooner you cut them the better, they will only get worse!! Tell your hairdresser about your plans to grow to classic length and wanting to donate it. Be clear and say how important it is to you.

On a side note, I have heard that locks of love aren't a good charity at all. I think they just sell a lot of the hair. Someone else might be able to pitch in about this, I don't know enough. Just what I've read on the internet.

are you kidding me? thats horrible!! tnx ill look into that

ositarosita
November 19th, 2013, 12:30 PM
like how individually cut them off? just the one strand?it wont b noticeable right

Exactly .. because you only cut the individual strand it does not affect the length .. you just cut slightly above every individual split ... it won't affect the length and it wont be noticeable .. some people on this forum ONLY do the search and destroy method they never actually trim ( myself included)

BlazingHeart
November 19th, 2013, 12:35 PM
If you choose to do search and destroy, make sure your scissors are razor sharp first! The hair will split again soon if you use dull scissors.

Madora
November 19th, 2013, 12:49 PM
When you search and destroy, be sure you do it in good light! No purpose in hurting your eyesight!

Depending on how particular you are, just take very small amounts of hair (pencil sized portion), gently twist the hair, then check for any splits that pop up. Also be sure to cut off any white dots. These are places that are just about to split.

To help keep splits at bay, keep your hair moisturized (but don't go overboard!), S and D every so often. Handle your hair as gently as possible and try and wear it up to protect the delicate ends.

NymphSpirit
November 19th, 2013, 01:11 PM
May be waist is a damaging length for you? Try wearing protective updos for a week or two and see if your ends are happier. Well, and obviously S&Ding is a great suggestion too. It makes a big difference.

Of course it'd help if you shared your hair care routine :)

dnk526
November 19th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Exactly .. because you only cut the individual strand it does not affect the length .. you just cut slightly above every individual split ... it won't affect the length and it wont be noticeable .. some people on this forum ONLY do the search and destroy method they never actually trim ( myself included)

wow im totally gonna do this thanks!

dnk526
November 19th, 2013, 04:20 PM
thanks for all your great advice guys!!

dnk526
November 19th, 2013, 04:27 PM
i started wearing it down for like three months maybe thats why? I wash twice a week one with shampoo one without I use oil not as often as i should. I do have a lot of products tho like all kinds from suave to tresemme to garnier to redken. but I need to know which conditioner is good and not harmful for my hair

Isilme
November 19th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Locks of Love is a dubious organization http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/14/locks-of-love-controversy_n_3269078.html
http://badhairday.typepad.com/bad_hair_day/2006/07/locks_of_love_i.html
Without wanting to sound impolite I'd say maybe it is better to donate money to research instead? Like that pink ribbon organization. The money goes into research to actually find a cure instead of just wigs, which is really about aesthetics.
And keep your hair for your own joy.

Isilme
November 19th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Oh, and here are the absolute basics to growing healthy long hair, enjoy! http://www.longlocks.com/how-to-grow-long-hair.htm
http://www.longlocks.com/tips-for-healthy-hair.htm
Self trimming instructions http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

dnk526
November 20th, 2013, 12:06 PM
you guys are so helpful and tnx isilme for the links :)