PDA

View Full Version : *Gasp* Found my first gray!

ArienEllariel
November 19th, 2013, 08:32 AM
I'm not even 25 yet and found a gray hair lurking in the underlayer of my crown area. O_o I'm too young for this! Thank goodness for henna.. Me thinks that will take care of any more that try to pop up! (Note that I do actually like silvery hair, I'm just not ready for it to be on me!)

marykatz
November 19th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Is anyone in your family prematurely gray? Either way, I wouldn't panic. I got about 3 grays in my crown at 24 and that was it. It just stayed those 3 for the next 12 years or so. I am just starting to get a bit more now at 40. At the same time, my friend started greying at 24 and she is probably 75% gray now. Her mother was completely white by 40 so she knew that she was destined for white hair also. She has been dying it in the interim but I think once it is very white, she will switch over to that look.

ArienEllariel
November 19th, 2013, 08:43 AM
My aunt started getting grays as a teen. Other than that I don't think anyone went gray earlier than 40 something.

Lyv
November 19th, 2013, 09:59 AM
I found my first grey at around 19 and now I have at least 6 that I can see probably more hidden in there lol. I wouldn't worry about it.

RedSonja
November 19th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Oh, i am 29 and 20% of my hair is already gray. I think i started to notice the first grays at 21. Itīs somewhat scary to have them so early. I know a lot of people who have early grays as well.

HintOfMint
November 19th, 2013, 10:45 AM
I've randomly found one or two white hairs every so often since I was 16. I'm 26 now and I can't even find my white hair (it might have fallen out).

I wouldn't worry about it.

GeoJ
November 19th, 2013, 10:58 AM
I don't think you should worry, especially since premature greying is not common in your family. I got my first when I was about 27, now I'm 38 & I think I only have two grey hairs (they look white, not actually grey).

ositarosita
November 19th, 2013, 11:00 AM
I CAN'T WAIT FOR MY SILVERS lol ... I just think it's soooo beautiful having a head full of silver hair

embee
November 19th, 2013, 11:02 AM
I remember finding one in my early 20s, but it fell out half a century ago and did not return - or at least it wasn't gray when that folicle (sp?) put out a new hair. Now I'm in my 70s and have hardly any gray. :)

Mustang Suzy
November 19th, 2013, 11:03 AM
I found my first gray when I was 21. It was in my bangs. I've been told you earn your gray hair as you gain wisdom... or get stressed out.

earthybee
November 19th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Ohhh I remember that day well :lol: I was 25 as well. Now at 38 I still only have one or two that pop up. I hope they stay away.

nobeltonya
November 19th, 2013, 11:09 AM
I have a solid, THICK white hair that's somewhere underneath my others.. and it's finding its way on top lately.. but both my mom and Nanny went gray in their 20s, so it's hereditary for me. :disco:

Thinthondiel
November 19th, 2013, 12:09 PM
I found a thick, white hair on the day I turned 26... Plucked it out, and it hasn't returned since.

shutterpillar
November 19th, 2013, 12:13 PM
I have quite a few of them (like 30 or so that I can see) and I am only 27. I began getting them around 23 years old... premature gray runs in the family. They do look pretty cool after they've been henna'd though!

lapushka
November 19th, 2013, 12:14 PM
I'm not even 25 yet and found a gray hair lurking in the underlayer of my crown area. O_o I'm too young for this! Thank goodness for henna.. Me thinks that will take care of any more that try to pop up! (Note that I do actually like silvery hair, I'm just not ready for it to be on me!)

I wouldn't panic just yet. As some other people on here stated, there can be many many years between finding your first gray, and the process of actually starting to go gray.

bunzfan
November 19th, 2013, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't panic just yet. As some other people on here stated, there can be many many years between finding your first gray, and the process of actually starting to go gray.

Yep totally agree^^ found my first one at 23 and at 37 i have then mainly in the crown area but not loads so that you'd notice it i haven't hennaed in 6 months and you cant tell that much , i have found the darker your hair is the younger you seem to go grey my sister had alot at my age and she has black hair where as mine is dark brown.

swearnsue
November 19th, 2013, 02:05 PM
I had a few grays in my 20's but they disappeared, then I started to get really gray in my mid 50's.

It's true what was said about the greys looking really cool hennaed!

YamaMaya
November 19th, 2013, 02:46 PM
I found one random grey once, or rather, a hairdresser did. I was naughty and told him to pull it out, never came back. Guess that old wives tale about 3 more popping up for every one you pull out isn't true :p. Maybe sometimes you just get a bum follicle that can't pigment properly..:confused:

Sillage
November 19th, 2013, 02:49 PM
I started going white in middle school, so don't feel bad LOL.

jrmviola
November 19th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Friend of mine found her first when she was 14, my brother and sister found their first at 25. No biggie just happens...

trolleypup
November 19th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Found my first one at 16 or 17, gained them slowly, at 48 now, I'm guessing a few percent silver, more in my beard though. Never bothered me, but then, I am on the male side of the grey hair double-standard.

curiouslight
November 19th, 2013, 06:30 PM
I found my first few greys when I was about 23, I wouldn't worry. Mine skipped the grey part and are actually pure white! My mom told me she found a few of the same when she was around my age and her hair just started to actually go grey, now that she's nearing 50. You can't even really tell though, her hair is maybe 10% grey at the most. I'm weird, but... I honestly want premature grey/white hair, like a Rogue streak in the front. :)

slyviolet
November 19th, 2013, 06:40 PM
I found my first few greys when I was about 23, I wouldn't worry. Mine skipped the grey part and are actually pure white! My mom told me she found a few of the same when she was around my age and her hair just started to actually go grey, now that she's nearing 50. You can't even really tell though, her hair is maybe 10% grey at the most. I'm weird, but... I honestly want premature grey/white hair, like a Rogue streak in the front. :)

Yes! Rogue streak! I want one SOOOOO MUCH. Luckily for me (I'm in my early 30s), my silver hairs are beginning to show up more frequently, and primarily at the temples... so I might get DOUBLE ROGUE STREAK. Oh I hope I hope I hope.

Yozhik
November 19th, 2013, 07:14 PM
I have about 4 white hairs hiding around my hairline and part, and I'm 26. :)
I like them, although sometimes I feel weird if someone else makes comments about them. They do stand out quite a bit, though, since I have very dark brown hair. :D

I do, however, admire how gracefully blondes go grey, though - it just seems to make them more golden. :cloud9:

ETA: also, their terminal length seems to be fairly short - anyone else notice this?

homefrontgirl
November 19th, 2013, 07:38 PM
I like the advice to not panic! I might have a gray hair or two, but my hair is this tawny color that's actually many colored strands. I know I have white in there somewhere. I kind of hope I go straight to white, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see!

amanda_the_tall
November 19th, 2013, 08:04 PM
I found my first few when I was 15, I think a lot of people have them when they're young, but most people dye their hair so they don't notice.

owly
November 19th, 2013, 09:10 PM
I found my first gray hair when I was in graduate school. At first I tried pulling them out (horrible!) but now I've accepted it. I have a nice little streak in my bangs.I might try henna at some point to cover it, once I get over my irrational fear of henna.

0xalis
November 19th, 2013, 10:36 PM
As long as my face looks good I won't care when I go grey. My mom's 45 and looks pretty good for her age, despite all the ways she's destroyed her body over the years. She has no greys yet... I'm somewhat disappointed because I looove silver hair :P