PDA

View Full Version : Manic Panic gloss - question

Zebra Fish
November 19th, 2013, 05:19 AM
I read somewhere that after dying with MP, to keep the dye longer, you can do a MP gloss (think with conditioner). So I was interested if anyone did it, if it works, and how did you do it (procedure)? If it's worth the effort ?

ZenaZoo
November 19th, 2013, 08:26 AM
I think it's more commonly known as a colour "top-up"
A lot of people will add some colour to their conditioner to "refresh" their colour. Whether they leave it for 5 mins or 5 hours it's about the same thing =)

Zebra Fish
November 19th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Tnx ZenaZoo. Do you know if its worth it? The result you get with the top-up, I mean.

MandyBeth
November 19th, 2013, 10:42 AM
1 part dye to 5-7 parts conditioner. Careful on the dye choice, don't use any heavy bleeding colors or extremely well pigmented colors. Rockabilly Blue is the worst in both categories in my world. After Midnight regular works nicely, but you'll stain fabric while wet.

Zebra Fish
November 20th, 2013, 01:25 AM
Tnx MandyBeth! I was going for vampire red (tho it came reddish-purple on me). I guess I'll see how much it goes off in 1st washing, and then try this on the second one :)

ZenaZoo
November 20th, 2013, 04:31 AM
It all depends on your base colour. Results vary. If you use only a small amount if dye to conditioner you're really just conditioning your hair with a tinge of colour. If you use I larger amount if dye.. You'll have more colour to deposit. Also depends how long you leave it in for. Sone people sleep in concentrated veggie due with no conditioner. Some leave it for 10 mins and was it off. I guess it all depends what your aim is.

MandyBeth
November 20th, 2013, 06:04 AM
First few washes, there will be a lot of color. Give it a few.

Zebra Fish
November 20th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Ok, I'll report back how it goes and what I did :)

Zebra Fish
January 20th, 2014, 06:53 AM
It's now over 2 months and the colour is still persistent (haven't done any glosses, didn't need to). As I have now some roots showing, I will dye it again in a few days. So, where box dye and henna (lush caca rogue) failed, MP succeeded for me :p

Just thought to give info for others that may have questions about it.

emelnd
January 20th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Does it bleed and ruin your white clothes?

Zebra Fish
January 24th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Yes, if it is rainy or lots of moisture in the air, it stains your clothes. That's why after a year I decided to henna. Although, it is still persistent in my hair. The last MP was before summer (lots of sea swimming and lots of oil in the hair during all summer) and it still shows through in my hair.

Katlette
January 24th, 2015, 04:02 PM
I've been using LaRiche Directions (on top of henna'd hair). I've found bleeding depends a lot on the colour. Rose Red stained my pillow and any white collars. Poppy Red, on the other hand, doesn't leave any marks even straight after a top-up.

That said, even the Rose Red stains came out easily enough.