PDA

View Full Version : SO close, and yet ...

W2
November 18th, 2013, 01:34 AM
I've been growing my hair for 2½ year - both growing out length and color.
I'm now pretty close to waist - and could reach it solid by my birthday in March

BUT

the ends are quite ruined. I'm talking about around 2 inches ... maybe 3.

I could just continue microtrimming - but I don't feel, that it helps ... there are always around 2-3 inches, that are looking bad.

What to do? Would it help "for good" to cut of those 2 inches?

Kherome
November 18th, 2013, 01:38 AM
It might. Sometimes the bad ends just keep spreading upwards, creating new bad ends despite microtrimming.

longhairedlady
November 18th, 2013, 01:45 AM
If the ends are very bad then I would cut them. Do you have any pics of the ends?

DancingQueen
November 18th, 2013, 02:37 AM
I would probably cut the ends as well, if they are bad. Personally, I have to cut around half an inch to an inch every 3 months, if I want to keep my ends healthy. I am sure microtrimming is good as well, but sometimes, an actual cut is needed. (just my opinion). :)

bunzfan
November 18th, 2013, 02:42 AM
How are your scissors?? are they sharp enough?? i was getting sick of splits till someone pointed out it was my blunt scissors causing the splits and dots especially if you are micro trimming my hair looked great depends how much you are trimming i took most of my growth off so was basically maintaining that's, also something you could consider . Also post a picture sometimes our hair looks better than we personally think especially if you are overly self critical .

Alexblue
November 18th, 2013, 03:16 AM
When you say ruined, do you mean split ends or white dots?
If you don't see either then they could be frazzled from mineral build up (hard water) or dry from weather/styling. In that case you can bring back the softness.

However, if you still want to cut I'd say trim just one inch and see how they look. You can always take off more after.

W2
November 18th, 2013, 08:40 AM
There are not many splits or dots

It's mostly just VERY dry and frizzy the last 5 cm

bunzfan
November 18th, 2013, 08:50 AM
There are not many splits or dots

It's mostly just VERY dry and frizzy the last 5 cm

In that cast no need to trim you just need a good DT maybe SMT my hair doesn't like that but many do, have you tried an overnight EVOO treatment it makes my hair so silky but not lank much more than coconut oil does sounds like you need moisture and not protein.

Theobroma
November 18th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Maybe clarify? Sometimes buildup will do what you describe. Then do that DT that bunzfan suggested.

Also, back when my ends were very rough and grabby (legacy of blowdrying damage, I think), I found that pure shea butter helped a lot. It actually made my hair slippery, which it never is!

Anje
November 18th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Agreed -- I'd clarify and do a favorite treatment (for me and my hair, that's an SMT, but yours might be oil or something else) before giving your ends up as lost. Sometimes it's a problem of buildup, which for me tends to manifest at the ends first.

W2
November 18th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Exactly how do you clarify?

Katrine
November 18th, 2013, 12:30 PM
If your hair doesn't like protein you may want to check the ingredients in your shampoo and conditioner. If they contain protein, you may want to switch to something with moisture. If your hair likes a little protein, perhaps you could alternate as needed depending on how much protein is in your shampoo/conditioner. And clarifying, as has already been mentioned, may help as well. When my ends start feeling funky I have found chelating with a CA (Citric Acid) rinse helpful.

Katrine
November 18th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Exactly how do you clarify?

There are clarifying shampoos you can buy, ACV rinses can also work well for clarifying.

Anje
November 18th, 2013, 12:46 PM
ACV doesn't tend to remove everything, so it's not generally seen as "clarifying" as such. It's decent maintenance for hard water, though.

I think clarifying shampoo is your best bet, unless you've got an allergy to sulfates. Wash all the way to the ends, unlike how you normally shampoo.

longhairedlady
November 18th, 2013, 01:41 PM
I agree, dont cut if you dont have splits or white dots. Play around with some different treatments and you will find what your hair needs!

endlessly
November 18th, 2013, 02:14 PM
If the ends are completely damaged and not able to be repaired in any way, then the absolute best thing you could do for the health of your hair would be to remove those 2-3 inches. If you're noticing a ton of split ends, it's so much safer to remove and thus prevent the damage from travelling up the rest of your hairshaft. I know most don't want to lose the length, but in the end, what would you prefer to have - long hair or healthy hair?

Do you use any heat products on the ends that would result in damage? Tying hair too tightly on the ends? Have you tried any deep conditioning treatment specifically on the ends - such as, coconut oil, deep or leave-in conditioner? Hope this helps!

askan
November 18th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Just felt like sharing: Your headline has made me sing Tom Petty's American Girl in my head all day. ".. when something that's so close... is still so...far out of reeeeach!". great song so I'm not complaining! :D

bythesea
November 18th, 2013, 06:35 PM
How often have you been trimming your hair since you started growing it?

I've been growing mine for almost 4 years straight and it's just now getting close to waist (about 1.5" away) because I pretty regularly got big trims to get rid of any dry or frizzy ends.

Even though I haven't reached my goal length as fast, my hair is SO soft - even the ends and I don't do anything fancy to it, just plain old shampoo and condition. I even use heat styling occasionally. I also wear my hair down a lot.

Personally, I think trimming your ends is a good idea. Not every 6 weeks like stylists suggest, but I always got mine cut twice a year, the first time would be after the fall/winter and I'd get about 1-2" off, and the second time I get my hair cut is usually in the fall and I get about half an inch off.

longhairedlady
November 18th, 2013, 07:10 PM
also, your signature pic looks beautiful!

W2
November 19th, 2013, 04:18 AM
also, your signature pic looks beautiful!

Thank you :o

W2
November 19th, 2013, 04:22 AM
If the ends are completely damaged and not able to be repaired in any way, then the absolute best thing you could do for the health of your hair would be to remove those 2-3 inches. If you're noticing a ton of split ends, it's so much safer to remove and thus prevent the damage from travelling up the rest of your hairshaft. I know most don't want to lose the length, but in the end, what would you prefer to have - long hair or healthy hair?

Do you use any heat products on the ends that would result in damage? Tying hair too tightly on the ends? Have you tried any deep conditioning treatment specifically on the ends - such as, coconut oil, deep or leave-in conditioner? Hope this helps!

I use heat on my hair very close to never - maybe once every 2-3 months.

How often have you been trimming your hair since you started growing it?

I've been growing mine for almost 4 years straight and it's just now getting close to waist (about 1.5" away) because I pretty regularly got big trims to get rid of any dry or frizzy ends.

Even though I haven't reached my goal length as fast, my hair is SO soft - even the ends and I don't do anything fancy to it, just plain old shampoo and condition. I even use heat styling occasionally. I also wear my hair down a lot.

Personally, I think trimming your ends is a good idea. Not every 6 weeks like stylists suggest, but I always got mine cut twice a year, the first time would be after the fall/winter and I'd get about 1-2" off, and the second time I get my hair cut is usually in the fall and I get about half an inch off.

I trim it myself between once a month and every other month. I had a real trim done in april - so it would be over 6 months since that.

I think I will try the clarifying shampoo and stick to my appointment with the hairdresser, just let her trim off 2 inches or so.

Kherome
November 19th, 2013, 05:04 AM
Good plan

Flor
November 19th, 2013, 05:13 AM
Do you usually wear it braided, like in your avatar pic? That would explain the last 5cm constantly feeling dry.

W2
November 20th, 2013, 12:18 AM
Do you usually wear it braided, like in your avatar pic? That would explain the last 5cm constantly feeling dry.

No, actually it's been a while since. Somehow I need to learn some things all over as it grows - and that do is one of them.

Normally I wear it in a bun or a french or english braid.

BUUUUT .... right before this thread, I washed my hair with this blue-tinted shampoo - 'cause of the grays - and when I do that, it's all the way down!
And what do you know ... the ends are feeling much better already, even though it's not a clarifying shampoo. I was writing with still wet hair - so when one of you asked of pics of the ends ... they didn't look bad! I thought it was my imagination ... but maybe it's not! :D

I'll proceed with the appoinment - but have her only cut of an inch - somehow I tend to cut a bit like an inverted V ... so to get it even ...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7680&d=1384934090

BlazingHeart
November 20th, 2013, 01:34 AM
I'm glad that the shampoo helped with your ends! I was going to also chime in that it sounded like either some kind of build-up or a lack of moisture. The fact that you said there are 'always' around 2-3 inches that look bad is what made me think something like that. It suggests that there is some need your hair has that you're not quite fulfilling. When someone said they have this sort of issue despite trims, my first thought is build-up and my second is moisture. I'd get an actual clarifying shampoo and give your hair a going over with that, and immediately follow it with a deep treatment for moisture. That would cover both bases, and the clarifying shampoo is a bit drying so even if you didn't need more moisture before it, it'd be good to have after.

Flor
November 20th, 2013, 01:40 AM
Awesome, glad to hear you found a solution! :) I think it's a good practice to wash entire length from time to time. Even though the roots are where most grease is, we do tend to put more product on the ends, even if it's just natural oils. I'll have to remember that myself.

bunzfan
November 20th, 2013, 02:33 AM
No, actually it's been a while since. Somehow I need to learn some things all over as it grows - and that do is one of them.

Normally I wear it in a bun or a french or english braid.

BUUUUT .... right before this thread, I washed my hair with this blue-tinted shampoo - 'cause of the grays - and when I do that, it's all the way down!
And what do you know ... the ends are feeling much better already, even though it's not a clarifying shampoo. I was writing with still wet hair - so when one of you asked of pics of the ends ... they didn't look bad! I thought it was my imagination ... but maybe it's not! :D

I'll proceed with the appoinment - but have her only cut of an inch - somehow I tend to cut a bit like an inverted V ... so to get it even ...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7680&d=1384934090

I wouldn't trim a inch your ends look really good maybe 1/2 if it was me i would leave it, i recently found out i had build up too mine goes lanky.

W2
November 21st, 2013, 08:30 AM
Woopwoop .... used the clarifying shampoo and then I put in some nourizing treatment ... and my ends are fine!

Rethinking the haircut appointment

W2
December 10th, 2013, 12:48 PM
And the appointment at the hairdressers was canceled.

bunzfan
December 10th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Yay so pleased :D