PDA

View Full Version : Sugar/Water Hairspray Alternative... Damaging or Not?

Aerith
November 17th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Hi everyone!

Most of us know that hairspray isn't the greatest for your hair because of the alcohol contained in it: It is drying. The other reason it is bad is because I also recently learned you should never comb your hair before washing it when you have sprayed it with hairspray because the hair strands bind together and you are essentially ripping your hair. So even alcohol-free ones aren't much better. I haven't used hairspray in over 7+ years, but I looked up recipes to make a natural non-drying kind at home. All it takes is simple sugar and filtered water!

There is no alcohol so no drying effects... that's great! My question though is... if I were to run a brush/comb through my hair after using this sugar and water spray would I be ripping it the same way as if using regular hairspray? Could it cause damage? Should I wash first before combing my hair after applying it?

Has anyone tried this and had success? Any advice?

Thanks a lot!

longhairedlady
November 17th, 2013, 05:23 PM
I would think that you would want to wash it out before combing it. Im just guessing though!

Rio040113
November 17th, 2013, 05:45 PM
I'd wash it first, just to be safe. I doubt it'd be half as bad as brushing out hairspray but still, better to wash first I'm guessing :)

Madora
November 17th, 2013, 05:59 PM
There is a wonderful story in Betty MacDonald's book "The Plague and I" that recounts the story of a patient in a hospital who used sugar and water to help her hair. The experiment ended in a frizzy, sticky mess...and her hair was very short at that!

Sillage
November 17th, 2013, 06:05 PM
I imagine the stickiness would make it just as damaging as regular hairspray if you tried to brush it out. I use Elnett from time to time and it's easy to brush out if you spray lightly. I'd rather use that then sugar water. Also, you'd have to replace the sugar water very frequently to avoid nasties growing in it.

Aerith
November 17th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Oh, I got some good replies. Thanks everyone!

If I use it, I will wash it out beforehand to be safe. :) I'll also remake it often or make it in small quantities as needed to avoid anything unwanted growing in there. Madora, I'll have to look into "The Plague and I". I need something to read!

I might be better off not using hairspray at all. For the first time in my life I absolutely love the condition of my hair. It's silky, doesn't tangle, and is extremely manageable. At one point in my life my hair was quite damaged. I haven't put a single thing in my hair except shampoo, conditioner, coconut oil, and the occasional smoothing serum for years. Not even heat from a hair dryer. Maybe I should not risk the damage a hairspray or homemade hairspray might introduce me to. But then again, life's too short to not do something fun or different once in a while, right? :) I found this on LHC: http://www.organicexcellence.com/chemical-free-products/hair-styling-spray.php or maybe scrunching my hair with aloe vera gel for a hold. I've never tried that either.

Madora
November 17th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Oh, I got some good replies. Thanks everyone!

If I use it, I will wash it out beforehand to be safe. :) I'll also remake it often or make it in small quantities as needed to avoid anything unwanted growing in there. Madora, I'll have to look into "The Plague and I". I need something to read!

I might be better off not using hairspray at all. For the first time in my life I absolutely love the condition of my hair. It's silky, doesn't tangle, and is extremely manageable. At one point in my life my hair was quite damaged. I haven't put a single thing in my hair except shampoo, conditioner, coconut oil, and the occasional smoothing serum for years. Not even heat from a hair dryer. Maybe I should not risk the damage a hairspray or homemade hairspray might introduce me to. But then again, life's too short to not do something fun or different once in a while, right? :) I found this on LHC: http://www.organicexcellence.com/chemical-free-products/hair-styling-spray.php or maybe scrunching my hair with aloe vera gel for a hold. I've never tried that either.

Aerith, you'll probably find it in your library via inter library loan. It was published in the 40s I believe. It's the author's story of being admitted to a sanitorium after being diagnosed with tuberculosis. Now you'd think this was hardly a "fun" read, but the author puts a hilarious slant on everything...and the characters she meets while convalescing...well, they are something else!

Aerith
November 17th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Aerith, you'll probably find it in your library via inter library loan. It was published in the 40s I believe. It's the author's story of being admitted to a sanitorium after being diagnosed with tuberculosis. Now you'd think this was hardly a "fun" read, but the author puts a hilarious slant on everything...and the characters she meets while convalescing...well, they are something else!

Sounds like a really good read, thank you! I will check if my local library has it or can get it. :)