PDA

View Full Version : Disc Bun Variation- NOT center held!

Kaelee
November 17th, 2013, 03:08 PM
So I found a variation of the Disc Bun that not only looks completely different, but is very, very comfortable, and seems to hold as well if not better than the original (depending on the toy...sometimes I'm still going to do the center held version.)

It's really easy. Do a normal disc bun, but instead of inserting the stick in one hole and out the other...just stab the stick (or fork, or ficcare) THROUGH both loops.

MairyDozy/TempestMoon fork:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Danmara/001_zpsb79a0d96.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/Danmara/media/001_zpsb79a0d96.jpg.html)

Ead regular size stick:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Danmara/004_zps01c58784.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/Danmara/media/004_zps01c58784.jpg.html)

Ead medium size stick:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Danmara/005_zps62afa46d.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/Danmara/media/005_zps62afa46d.jpg.html)

I'm really, really loving this variation! :happydance:

ETA: Adding the video I did here so that people don't have to go through the whole thread to find it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1YzsZ_s-U4

rowie
November 17th, 2013, 03:12 PM
That is fabulous ! Congrats on your recent discovery! :blossom: lovin' the look of that Mairzy Dozy fork! :cool:

longhairedlady
November 17th, 2013, 03:15 PM
The last one is my favorite!

Kaelee
November 17th, 2013, 03:17 PM
That is fabulous ! Congrats on your recent discovery! :blossom: lovin' the look of that Mairzy Dozy fork! :cool:

Thanks!!! For the moment at least, I'm reveling in the feeling of finally being the first one to come up with something cool. I'm sure someone will come along now and say "what? I've been doing it that way all along!" :lol: but until then...I'm proud! ;)

Sillage
November 17th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Your disc bun is looking great Kaelee! I think out of all of them, the fork is my favorite: very sophisticated and understated. But the sticks are fun too for a pop of color and playfulness. Great choices for all of them!

Kaelee
November 17th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Your disc bun is looking great Kaelee! I think out of all of them, the fork is my favorite: very sophisticated and understated. But the sticks are fun too for a pop of color and playfulness. Great choices for all of them!

I really love this fork. It holds in this bun AT LEAST as well as a ficcare (but more comfortably, in my opinion!). So incredibly practical, durable, dress it up or down kind of fork. It's the like the dark wash blue jeans of hair accessories! :lol: The fork is actually why I learned to do the disc bun this way because it was just TOO WIDE to fit through the holes! :laugh:

Sillage
November 17th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Gurl, you are making crave a fork!!! Your action shots and encouragement are not helping me resist temptation LOL!!!

Kaelee
November 17th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Gurl, you are making crave a fork!!! Your action shots and encouragement are not helping me resist temptation LOL!!!

:laugh: Well, if you must cave to the temptation, Tempestmoon's plain fork is a seriously good start. I would be sorely tempted to buy another if it weren't for the fact that I don't need another because one is great for everything. :lol: Mine is 4 inches by the way, and my hair is almost waist (though my sig pic makes it look shorter because of the angle and bun waves).

Sillage
November 17th, 2013, 03:34 PM
My hair is nearly at waist too-- but it's pretty thin and fine so I wouldn't be able to get a nice sized bun like yours. Still tempted to get it just for decorative purposes (and wear it when I use a hair rat) because it looks so becoming in your hair.

Kaelee
November 17th, 2013, 03:39 PM
My hair is nearly at waist too-- but it's pretty thin and fine so I wouldn't be able to get a nice sized bun like yours. Still tempted to get it just for decorative purposes (and wear it when I use a hair rat) because it looks so becoming in your hair.

She does make shorter/smaller ones also, some of hers are 1" wide instead of 2".

Sillage
November 17th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Thanks Kaelee, I 'll keep those in mind too!

Kaelee
November 17th, 2013, 03:49 PM
You're welcome! :)

patienceneeded
November 17th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Very nice! I have issues making a disc bun. Any tips? I think my fingers are too short. Stupid short fingers.

Kaelee
November 17th, 2013, 07:19 PM
I don't know about short fingers..I tend to coil the hair around my fingers and then under my fingers for the second pass, and repeat for the second loop, if that makes sense?

Lirona
November 17th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Great variation! I will have to try this. I love little modifications.

Kaelee
November 17th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Great variation! I will have to try this. I love little modifications.

I want pics when you do!!!

So far I'm finding it doesn't tend to pivot like the center held version tends to.

Lirona
November 17th, 2013, 09:42 PM
I want pics when you do!!!

So far I'm finding it doesn't tend to pivot like the center held version tends to.

Mine didn't turn out quite like yours, but it could be a cousin, maybe. A center-stabbed cousin? Haha. Here are a couple photos of my best attempt, for science:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Yk0LfndPkms/UomV1AvNkkI/AAAAAAAABPc/yyayVgtfGOw/w333-h446-no/photo+1+%25281%2529.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-K5lkRUxap6c/UomV5ThKW1I/AAAAAAAABPk/LSS5LRyqC3g/w333-h446-no/photo+2+%25281%2529.JPG

I had trouble getting it to stay without going in one loop and out the other, but it was REALLY comfortable when it finally cooperated!

Kaelee
November 17th, 2013, 10:01 PM
That looks great!!! :D

browneyedsusan
November 18th, 2013, 05:48 AM
I don't follow you. My visual-learning brain can't work it out from the pictures. *sigh*

Kaelee
November 18th, 2013, 09:26 AM
I should do another video when I have time (the first one I did, the top part of my head was chopped off I think! :lol:)

florenonite
November 18th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Okay, I just tried this now and, uh, it fell out. Obviously I'm doing something wrong, but I can't think what. Video, anyone? :p

shutterpillar
November 18th, 2013, 10:12 AM
So you put it through the loops themselves instead of through the loop holes? I wanna make sure I'm understanding correctly (I'm totally a visual learner. lol.)

Applegirl84
November 18th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Cool variation! Can't wait to try it

Kaelee
November 18th, 2013, 10:22 AM
So you put it through the loops themselves instead of through the loop holes? I wanna make sure I'm understanding correctly (I'm totally a visual learner. lol.)

Yep! That's exactly it. Stab the loops! :D

bunzfan
November 18th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Your version looks much better i don't wear it alot as i think it looks a bit like someone's bum :lol: will try it out tomorrow.

Kaelee
November 18th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Someone's bum... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This also makes a bigger bun, that eats up 6" sticks (but a 4" functional fork works well for me). I'm still learning the little tricks to it, for instance it seems like tighter twists (not tighter wrapping but tighter twists) makes for a neater bun because the stick isn't leveraging it in place like it is in the original version. I think this version distributes the weight a lot better too (and doesn't tend to pivot around the center like the original version can).

Stray_mind
November 18th, 2013, 10:35 AM
I soo want to do all these beautiful buns and i just can't :( This one looks great too...

breezefaerie
November 18th, 2013, 11:24 AM
I just can't do it.
My BSL length hair just will not loop around nicely.

Beautiful bun though!

Hootenanny
November 18th, 2013, 11:30 AM
I just did one using two antler forks: the first through the loops like usual, and the second through the whole bun, as per Kaelee's Variation (yes, this should be the official name! :) ). It feels amazing and is holding like a rock! The same thing could probably be done using two sticks. Thanks so much, Kaelee! :)

browneyedsusan
November 18th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Stab the loops, not the loop-holes. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
(My antler fork is holding great in my LWB, and I don't want to mess with it. Clean hair = lots-o-slippage!)

BTW: I wear your "pineapple" folded braid often. Just saying. :D

melusine963
November 18th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Your version looks much better i don't wear it alot as i think it looks a bit like someone's bum :lol: will try it out tomorrow.

Great, now that I've seen that, I can never unsee it. Thanks a lot, bunzfan. :patrol:

Kaelee
November 18th, 2013, 04:09 PM
I didn't think of that! I'll try that.

I just did one using two antler forks: the first through the loops like usual, and the second through the whole bun, as per Kaelee's Variation (yes, this should be the official name! :) ). It feels amazing and is holding like a rock! The same thing could probably be done using two sticks. Thanks so much, Kaelee! :)

chen bao jun
November 18th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Kaelee, please do do a video, your last one was so helpful.
Also, could you take a photo of the fork when its not in your hair? Is it anything like a 60th street?

Kaelee
November 18th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Kaelee, please do do a video, your last one was so helpful.
Also, could you take a photo of the fork when its not in your hair? Is it anything like a 60th street?

It's not at all like a 60th street, it's just a metal U. I'll try to remember to do both tomorrow. :)

shutterpillar
November 19th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Well, I did it. My bun is a bit off center (though this photo does not depict that) and it's held with an Oruaka fork, which is still a tad bit too large. ;) I wanted to make sure I had room for growing. It does feel a bit more sturdy than the standard disc bun.

http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad351/ashmey86/Hair/81b8fa25-98a7-4572-a6cb-3df8ecd1c9c9.jpg (http://s951.photobucket.com/user/ashmey86/media/Hair/81b8fa25-98a7-4572-a6cb-3df8ecd1c9c9.jpg.html)

bunzfan
November 19th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Great, now that I've seen that, I can never unsee it. Thanks a lot, bunzfan. :patrol:

:lol: sorry just being honest :D

chen bao jun
November 19th, 2013, 02:34 PM
I did it last night with my 60th street last night and I liked it a lot. thanks, Kaelee.

Chamomile betty
November 19th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Very pretty.

Kaelee
November 20th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Here you go! A video, on YT this time because I couldn't get Photobucket to cooperate for the life of me (1 hour time wasted with failed uploads. GAH!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1YzsZ_s-U4&feature=youtu.be

florenonite
November 20th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the video! I think part of my misunderstanding is that I've not been twisting the strands when I do this bun, so I tried it and it just fell out.

rowie
November 20th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Thank you so much it makes sense! I'm too lazy for this and I end up doing just the nautilus bun. I do however like your variation much better than the original.:crush:

Your variation should be called Kaelee's Disc Bun or KDB for short. Still I enjoy watching your videos. I for some reason can't talk like you when I make my own videos. :lol: Still, thanks again for taking the time to make this video!

Kaelee
November 20th, 2013, 10:56 AM
It's funny, I can't manage to get the nautilus or the LWB to work right. I think my hair is too thick for it.

Kaelee
November 20th, 2013, 11:00 AM
I don't remember who it was but someone in this thread mentioned using two sticks, one the "standard" way and one the new way, and THANK YOU! It's so comfortable, looks REALLY COOL and now I want more pairs of sticks. :laugh:

I love having so much variation with one hairstyle.

rowie
November 20th, 2013, 11:05 AM
It's funny, I can't manage to get the nautilus or the LWB to work right. I think my hair is too thick for it.

I have thick hair, you'll just have to wait until you are nearing hip. I think the nautilus became much easier for me the moment I got past waist. Now that I'm getting closer to hip it's getting much easier though.

Kaelee
November 20th, 2013, 11:10 AM
I have thick hair, you'll just have to wait until you are nearing hip. I think the nautilus became much easier for me the moment I got past waist. Now that I'm getting closer to hip it's getting much easier though.

I've just now figured out what exactly the difference between lazy wrap and nautilus is :lol: so there's hope for me yet!

Kaelee
November 20th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Two stick version:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Danmara/002_zps54dbec9a.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/Danmara/media/002_zps54dbec9a.jpg.html)

schnibbles
November 20th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Thank you for the video!! I understand now... :run: off to practice

Hootenanny
November 20th, 2013, 12:30 PM
I don't remember who it was but someone in this thread mentioned using two sticks, one the "standard" way and one the new way, and THANK YOU! It's so comfortable, looks REALLY COOL and now I want more pairs of sticks. :laugh:

I love having so much variation with one hairstyle.

Yay, I'm glad it worked for you! I never knew what to do with my second stick when I wear the disc bun, and then when I read your variation, I thought, "hey, why not try both!" Sweet success! :)

Neecola
November 20th, 2013, 01:07 PM
I can do the regular disc bun at my length so I'm excited to try your variation, Kaelee! Thanks for sharing the video, that really helps.

slyviolet
November 20th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Kaelee, that is so beautiful! I like that your variation keeps those end loops a little bit more prominent in the visible bun from the back, it really adds to the interweaving look. Can't wait for my hair to be long enough to sport my own KDB! (I can't even quite complete a cinnabun again just yet, but someday.... someday....)

Lirona
November 20th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Great video, thank you for making it! It's always kind of annoyed me when my center-held buns rotated and made the stick go all wonky (I usually wear sticks with toppers). This is perfect. I also agree with the others who said that it looks better. Can't wait to try it out when I get a hair fork... :D

Kaelee
November 20th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Great video, thank you for making it! It's always kind of annoyed me when my center-held buns rotated and made the stick go all wonky (I usually wear sticks with toppers). This is perfect. I also agree with the others who said that it looks better. Can't wait to try it out when I get a hair fork... :D

I hate when they rotate, it feels really weird too which is the main thing for me. I don't mind the look so much but when I can feel it woggling around back there, it drives me up a tree! :lol:

homefrontgirl
November 20th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Thanks for these great pics and video! Super helpful! I can't wait to try it out!

browneyedsusan
November 21st, 2013, 06:08 AM
Oh, I get it now!
Thanks for the video! :D

melusine963
November 21st, 2013, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the video! I always have trouble following written instructions, so seeing it is a great help.

Kaelee
November 21st, 2013, 09:59 PM
You're welcome!!!

I'm finding this bun more and more beautiful and comfortable once I got practice inserting the stick or fork. It can even comfortably hold one of Ead's fat sticks (which the center held version definitely can't for me.) which I'm just thrilled with because it means I can wear my pink mesh stick more!

curlsgalore
November 28th, 2013, 10:36 PM
I wanted to say thank you for sharing this! I realized (for me anyway) that if I insert fork, stick, ficcare, etc. in through the first loop and then out through about the middle of the other loop my hair turns out great. This works also for the nautilus, pencil bun and LWB. It works consistently if I do it this way rather than in and out the middle "loops" on both sides. I hope that made sense. I like they way the buns will look looser/fuller this way yet they hold very well. Before this I could not get some of these buns to look decent on me. They would end up too tight and too flat for my taste. Thanks again!

Oh, and your disc bun always looks fantastic!

Scarlet_Heart
December 6th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Kaelee, thank you for showing both ways! I'm finding the original way to work best for sticks and your way for forks. But after a shed-related cut earlier this year, I haven't been able to use a hair stick in some time. But I can with this bun! So thanks to you, I can wear my hair sticks again! I'm so happy about this! :toast:

ETA: Obviously, the rational conclusion here is that I need to celebrate with a new hair stick.

Kaelee
December 6th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Kaelee, thank you for showing both ways! I'm finding the original way to work best for sticks and your way for forks. But after a shed-related cut earlier this year, I haven't been able to use a hair stick in some time. But I can with this bun! So thanks to you, I can wear my hair sticks again! I'm so happy about this! :toast:

ETA: Obviously, the rational conclusion here is that I need to celebrate with a new hair stick.

I find that different toys work better different ways too. Forks just do not work the original way all that well at all. Sticks work both ways, thicker sticks work better stuck straight through, my Lady Idun ONLY works center held, pairs of thinner sticks are great with one stick through the center and one stick through the whole thing. Ficcares and flexis are mostly center held (unless the ficcare is a large maximas). It's enough to make me want to put tags with instructions on each of my hairtoys so I remember how to use each one, because they're all a little different. :laugh:

Tigermama
December 8th, 2013, 11:58 AM
So pretty! Thanks for the video!

Kherome
December 8th, 2013, 12:00 PM

There are new TTs on the swap board...just sayin'.

Scarlet_Heart
December 8th, 2013, 02:33 PM
There are new TTs on the swap board...just sayin'.

I saw that! I would love to have one from him one of these days, but they're too expensive for me right now. One day, I'd love to ask him to make one like this (https://www.etsy.com/listing/171016630/reserved-the-princess-eve-hair-stick?) for me. I love all things floral. Especially roses.

Johannah
December 8th, 2013, 02:38 PM
This might sound weird but I just found out that I've always done the disc bun the wrong way. I always do your version of it, lol.

So I kind of have learned a new version, too: the real one :P

Kaelee
December 8th, 2013, 02:40 PM
This might sound weird but I just found out that I've always done the disc bun the wrong way. I always do your version of it, lol.

So I kind of have learned a new version, too: the real one :P

:lol: I knew at least one person would...

bunzfan
January 31st, 2014, 06:24 AM
I just tried your version always before went through the loops and under the bun I think twisting slightly and going through just one loop through the middle and coming out the other side just makes it work, thanks it no longer looks like a blob I'll take a picture if you want to see, currently I'm sporting a disc bun with a two prong fork :D:

MeowScat
January 31st, 2014, 10:34 PM
This is my very first attempt at this bun. Thank you for the video! I got a little confused with the second section of hair and your thumb, so I rewound that part a couple times and I think I got it now. Does this look like a Disc Bun, or did I do something wrong?

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w388/MeowScat/Mobile%20Uploads/image-2.jpg (http://s1073.photobucket.com/user/MeowScat/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-2.jpg.html)

Kaelee
January 31st, 2014, 11:05 PM
Looks like it to me, although you might be doing it too tight, it's hard to tell. It looks good!

MeowScat
January 31st, 2014, 11:14 PM
I did wrap it around really tight like I do my Lazy Wraps for sleeping. I'll try this again, looser, and I won't twist it as much. Thanks for the advice, this bun is completely new to me. I'm so excited, I showed DH my new bun a few minutes ago and he said, "I have no idea how you figure that stuff out." :)

bunzfan
August 4th, 2014, 08:42 AM
I do it this way as well now

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/Mobile%20Uploads/zS9Db_zpsd8491542.jpg (http://s1107.photobucket.com/user/emmerline1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/zS9Db_zpsd8491542.jpg.html)