PDA

View Full Version : How often do you wear you hair down?

ErinLeigh
November 17th, 2013, 02:44 AM
I am very curious about a few thing.
1. how often everyone wears their hair down.
2. is wearing hair up or down your preference (not what you actually do, what you wish you could)
3. have most people you know actually seen your hair down?
4. do people make comments to you about the fact that it is always up, or suggest taking it down?
5. did you tend tend to wear it down a lot more until it hit a certain length, or did you always wear up.

EDIT, ADDING 3 MORE I TOOK FROM MY LAST POST.
6. Do any of you get a secret thrill taking your bun down in front of someone and showing off your length, or do you prefer the incognito feel of having long hair but no one knows what is hiding in that bun? (I would think I would find "excuses" to rebun and show it off )

7. Do you consider "up" or "down" to be your "styled" hair. (To me down is styled and up is casual - but that may change as it grows and I learn updos)

8. For those who almost always wear it up, what lends the to occasion for wearing it down? date, special event, holidays?
For shorter haired people an updo is their "special style." Is it the opposite when hair is long and you always wear it up? Does Down become your "formal look."

I've noticed the most hated question on this forum is from people in your life who say "why have long hair if you never wear it down?"
That got me curious because a question like that would mean hair is always up then right?. Do you love updos or is it more for protection and ease. Can you have really long hair and wear it down often enough? Do you wear it up even when you want to look "your best?"

My preference for comfort is up but for looks is down. I am all about comfort and to me that is up. That being said, in public I never wear it up as I have a weird hairline, weird dent at my temples and a narrow egg shaped head. I just don't look good with hair up. I also have a widows peak which adds to my narrow head illusion. I am starting to wonder if I grow hair, will I feel the need to wear it up anyway, thus starting to put my egghead out for public viewing? :p

If you cant tell, long hair fascinates me. There is just something so unique and special about seeing someone with long, beautiful hair. It lends a certain mystique to the person IMO.

Johannah
November 17th, 2013, 02:57 AM
I'm wearing my hair up everyday.
2. is wearing hair up or down your preference (not what you actually do, what you wish you could)
I like my hair down more, but I get split ends fast. If I wear it up, I don't got (many) split ends, so great for growing :P. And I'm a student, so my hair doesn't get in my face this way when I'm in class or when I'm studying.
Yes, they have. When I first started with tLHC I wore it up, but then I quit (first year at university, a lot of work, no time!) and I wore it down again. But now I'm doing the wear your hair up challenge till June!
4. do people make comments to you about the fact that it is always up, or suggest taking it down?
Nope, not yet.
5. did you tend tend to wear it down a lot more until it hit a certain length, or did you always wear up.
I'm wearing it up til I reach my goal. From that point, I'll probably wear it down when the weather is good (summer/spring). In winter/autumn there's a lot of wind and rain so then I prefer to wear it up more.

So it's more out of ease at the moment and to protect it :P

LadyCelestina
November 17th, 2013, 03:00 AM
1.I am at waist length which is still easy to wear down.I do so when I feel like it and when the conditions allow me to.But,honestly,it is usually up for tiring stressful things and down for free time.
Some activities require me to have my hair down,because otherwise it gets uncomfortable...like swimming or being in the woods with lots of small bushes.
2.I like both and my preference changes.Sometimes I like updo's better than loose hair,sometimes the other way around.
3.Yes.
4.Yes,but not as much that I should let it down.They comment when I put my hair up in front of them,or when I let my hair loose.From these comments I understood that their image of me is with bunned hair :D.
5.Nope.But most of my conscious hair growing is influenced by LHC and part of that was accepting updo's which I believe happened around apl or bsl.

Andeee
November 17th, 2013, 03:24 AM
I wear my hair up every day except for fancy occasions.

My job is too active for leaving my hair down. By wearing it up it is out of my way and also protected. I have gotten so used to wearing it up for work that now I wear it up when I'm not working, too.

My friends and co-workers have seen it down at some point, but most others (I work in retail so all the customers) haven't.

The girl who colors my hair (and trims it on occasion) has commented that since my hair is always up why bother growing it long.

Years ago when my hair went from mid-back to just about classic I never wore it up--just in a braid for work or loose. This was before the invention of the claw clip and I simply had no idea how to do updos.

Bianca
November 17th, 2013, 03:37 AM
I always Wear mine Down. Dont see a point in growing it long to hide it, to be honest. My hair is in great condition too, and its waistlenght btw. Maybe a bit longer. After a baby, hair is just not as important anymore, so I lose track.

spaceagerock
November 17th, 2013, 03:41 AM
Honestly, not often enough because I'm scared of damage. I have super fine hair and I'm truely baby-ing it at the moment. On average maybe 3-4 days/week, but only when I'm out of the house. If I'm at home I tend to put it in a bun/pony for convenience.

Down. Because I'm lazy when it comes to up-dos and get really annoyed if I need to use more than three bobbys, but I don't like the standard bun/pony/braid on myself because that's how it always seems to end up in the house (see above) :p .. the irony.

Yes. It's my pride :)

My boyfriend does. He's like me to keep it down more when I'm just at home, but that's just because he thinks it looks nice down.... and see question 1.

I've been BSL for most of my life and used to keep it down all the time. Then my project of "beyond BSL" started last April. Am now at WL and I've really noticed a difference so it's harder to keep it down if I'm busy. For instance, sleeping with my hair down is surprisingly difficult now and if I'm rushing to a train/bus it HAS TO be in a bun.

florenonite
November 17th, 2013, 03:50 AM

For the past few months I've been wearing it down around 50% of the time. Since I hit BSL recently, however, I'm finding it a lot more irritating to wear down as it always gets in the way.

It's not really an either/or thing for me. I like both, and I don't like wearing my hair the same way every day. This is also why I wear it up more as it gets longer, as there's more variety in the updos I can do.

Umm, everyone :p

See answer to question 1 ^^. However, I will say that my whole life I've always worn my hair up a fair bit, even at SL, because I find it gets in the way when I wear it down. So I wear it up more when it's longer, but I never wear it down exclusively.

kaydana
November 17th, 2013, 03:56 AM
I never wear it down in public.
Down is boring. Can't do much with it when it's down, it's just there. There are hundreds (if not thousands) of ways I can put my hair up.
Not recently. The majority have probably seen it held in a ponytail while I redo a bun, but not fully down.
No.
I've worn it up ever since I learned how to use a hair stick.

Taenarian
November 17th, 2013, 04:35 AM
That would be one time so far in 2013. The occasion was a nobby fundraiser.

There will be several opportunities for "down" this week and it's a certainty I will use those times for half-ups with a Flexi8 mini.

Wearing my hair up means I get to indulge in my favorite hair toys! I do like to wear it down and likely will wear it down more when I break the Mid-Back Abyss. Once I reach hip or better .... My hair honestly feels too short to me at BSL to wear it down more often.

Yes. My one down occasion this year was rather a bit of a shock to the crowd as none knew just how long my hair has grown since the last time I went out with my hair down. A bun tells no lengthy tales.

Oh yes. "Helpful" suggestions from family or friends about how I should wear my hair are not so interesting to me. Occasionally I hear "you should". I make it a priority never to should myself.

My hair went up and stayed up as soon as it was long enough to stay put with sticks. Prior to that length I kept my hair in braids or in a ponytail pretty much all the time.

Sillage
November 17th, 2013, 04:50 AM
I wear my hair down to sleep. Sometimes I wear it down when I'm at home and feeling really lazy. Otherwise it's up.

I love updos! Wearing my hair up is definitely my preference. I often wish I could style my hair into more complex updos but I'm satisfied with what I can manage myself.

No, since I put my hair up whenever I leave the house, most people haven't seen it down.

People compliment me on my updos and they like the little accessories and decorations I put in them, but I never really have people suggest taking it down.

Now that my hair is almost waist length, wearing it up is also a matter of practicality. I was able to wear it loose at home more often when it was shorter because it didn't get caught on things.

carrielynn
November 17th, 2013, 04:59 AM
I'm between apl and bsl, and I do wear it down more than up. I've been learning to love my waves/curls, so first-day and often second-day hair is down. Unless I completely screw something up in my styling. Third-day is always up, and sometimes I can stretch one more day before washing, which also gets put up. Ultimately I want to show off my waves and curls.

That being said, I'm also in that weird growing out layers stage and don't have any hair toys yet, so maybe once I get some cute, functional sticks for Christmas I'll start wearing it up more.

KellieMai
November 17th, 2013, 05:12 AM
I wear mine up most of the time, mainly because it's out of the way and won't get caught on anything, but I do like to wear it down around the house or if I go out and it's not too windy.
I don't have a preference, I love wearing it down but I also love updo's.
Most people I know have seen my hair down at some point but I don't think they see it down often enough to really remember how long it is.
Most people don't really comment in my hair when it's up but a friend was asking 'I don't mean to be rude but what's the point of haven't long hair if you always wear it up'. But I don't really mind comments like that because it's my hair and I know I don't always wear it up and I like wearing it up.
I've never been one if those people that wears their hair down, all the time, even at shoulder length. But I did used to wear a ponytail 24/7 and now it's usually in a bun.

norsbaby85
November 17th, 2013, 05:22 AM
maybe once or twice a week
i would rather wear my hair down, but my job is too physical so it always goes up.

yes, but its become very scarce lately so only my family at home see it

luckily not, but it is said that I have 'long beautiful blonde hair'.......so it could be a hint that i need to wear it down more.

i find i wear it up more to prevent mechanical damage

see_turtle
November 17th, 2013, 06:14 AM

In public usually only on weekends or at night and I often start out with it down and put it up.

I like the way it looks down it it's a pain in the butt. Gets tangled, in my face, frizzy etc.

Yes.

Not often, one of the children I work with asked to see it down recently...he was impressed by the length.

I will wear it down more once I am past waist because I will be proud of passing my previous longest point....but even then it wont be often.

Misao
November 17th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Always wear it down. The exception for me is when I wear it up.

I prefer it down, I do what I want because I don't have tasks or works that need me to wear it up.

so everybody

in my case is the opposite, my mum makes wants me to wear my hair up when I'm eating, for example.

the longest I've been is waist lenght, and always wearing down. I don't plan it to be longer.

In my case I use to wear it down because I'm lazy and I am not good at self hairstyling. I'm minimalist, the rule for me is just wash and go. The more I touch, brush, comb or style my hair the more it suffers damage and dirty.

embee
November 17th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Never

Up is greatly preferred.

No, only family and a few others.

No, (People don't generally make personal remarks like that, I'm old so they know better!)

When I was young I thought "long" was BSL. ;) I wore it down because it was girlish/sexy/flirty and I had *no clue* about any updo other than a ponytail. Down was a big pain, I was always fussing with it: permanent waves, curlers, more curlers, struggle struggle. Without all that fuss, my hair is thin. straight, and stringy (short or long). The Updo has saved me endless trouble and money.

trolleypup
November 17th, 2013, 09:15 AM
I wear my hair down to sleep. Sometimes I wear it down when I'm at home and feeling lazy. I often wear it down when I am going out to dinner or a show or the like. Average of once a day at least for a while.
If I didn't have to worry about tangles, damage, inconvenience, and snagging on things I would wear my hair down most, if not all of the time.

I'd say yes to "most", but especially at work, it is rarely down other than when I redo the bun, so there are a pretty good number of people who have never see the actual length.

Rarely. I do get asked about it from time to time...and I find it is easier to pull the stick and let it down (and put it right back up) than go into a long exposition about why. Ditto for people who wonder how long it is.

At calf length, wearing it up is also a matter of practicality. I wore it loose more often when it was shorter because it didn't snag on stuff as often...and by shorter, I mean much shorter

Applegirl84
November 17th, 2013, 10:01 AM
I wear it down several times a week, but usually only for a couple hours at a time. I usually wear it down for social activities and then put it up when I'm taking care of my kids, doing housework, cooking ect. I'm enjoying my hair up way more now that I've discovered hair toys :)

2. is wearing hair up or down your preference (not what you actually do, what you wish you could) I do feel like I look best with my hair down.

Yes. Even at my Pilates class I wear a french braid (I hate lying on a bun), so while they haven't seen it loose, they can see how long it is.

Nope.

I'm not super long (BSL), but I found I wore it down more before I had kids. Being around little children all the time has made me want it out of the way more. As they get older I think I'll wear it down even more

Majormiles
November 17th, 2013, 10:44 AM
[QUOTE=ErinLeigh;2567567]I am very curious about a few thing.

Sometimes I take it down at night if I feel like it when I'm relaxing, but not enough, maybe night a week? And I very rarely where it down outside so only for special occasions, maybe once a month?

I really like wearing it down sono would more often if I thought it wasn't damaging, but my hair is fine and tangles easy.

Yep I would say so

I have only been lhcing for a year, so no one has yet, tho I'm sure it will come!!

I wore it down everyday pre lhc. It was a lot shorter tho, shoulder length and above, whereas its almost bsl now

Great thread btw!

Majormiles
November 17th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Sorry for my terrible spelling and grammar above, I am on my phone!

Madora
November 17th, 2013, 10:54 AM
1. My hair is never down, except for brushing
2. Wearing it up is my preference. Why encourage tangles, which I loathe.
3. Yes
4. No
5. Years ago, I did wear it down every day...but it was very short..shoulder length

And as for the perpetual question "Why have long hair if you never wear it down". People who ask this don't understand that wearing it down can be damaging over time. Hair catches on fabrics, furniture. It can rub against chairbacks and any other rough surface. And the tangles that can ensue!!! Wearing it down...once in a while...fine, but I want long, healthy hair, so I wear mine up to protect it! I don't have the patience to deal with snarls.

People think you can just rip a comb (or worse, a brush) thru that hair and all will be restored and so forth. They just don't understand that if you want healthy hair, you must treat it properly!

RainbowBowser
November 17th, 2013, 10:59 AM
I wear my hair down almost all the time.
Down is mainly a preference because I'm lazy or self conscious of my face (I want to wear my hair up more to protect it though)
Everyone has seen me with my hair down because its my go-to, no one ever says I should put my hair up :/

browneyedsusan
November 17th, 2013, 11:10 AM
--Once or twice a week. I used to pin it up every day, especially early in my "growing out" for mullet camouflage. Before that it was short, and never got in my eyes, so I got used to it feeling like that. It kind of bothers me brushing against my neck and shoulders when it's down, but I'm trying to wear it down and get used to it.

-- I like to put it up because there are a zillion ways to put it up. I try to put it up differently every day. I look okay both ways, and don't have a preference.

-- A few have, but I wear it up most of the time when I leave the house. Most probably haven't seen it down in 6 months or so.

--not yet!

--while I had the pixie, it was "down" (or is that "up"??) 24/7! :rollin: When I started growing, I pinned it up when I had enough hair to pin, and pretended it looked okay. (It looked awful down. I looked like I needed a haircut in the WORST way!) I got so used to putting it up in order to look decent, that I kept doing it. Recently, I've been trying to get used to wearing it down, so wear it down once a week or take it down in the evenings.

summergreen
November 17th, 2013, 11:15 AM
5. did you tend tend to wear it down a lot more until it hit a certain length, or did you always wear up

1. I almost never wear my hair down at the moment (although I sometimes wear it in a braid when I'm at homeand no-one will see me).

2. I would prefer to wear my hair down, but the ends are very thin right now, and even if they weren't, I don't like that having much longer hair than most people my age makes me stand out.

3.Most people I know (apart from family) haven't seen my hair down for a while.

4. No-one has said anything, apart from my best friend and my daughter saying it looks really nice up.

5. I only started wearing it up when it was hip length. I think about cutting back to BSL nearly every day, so that I could feel comfortable wearing it down, but then I wouldn't be able to make big-looking updos, and I have kind of got used to it being up!

HintOfMint
November 17th, 2013, 12:40 PM

I wear my hair down about every other day, usually the day after I wash.

Wearing hair down is my preference. I wear it up to either create bun waves or to hide greasiness if I didn't get a chance to wash my hair.

Yup, it's no secret I have long hair, it's actually kind of my thing, for lack of a less obnoxious way of putting it.

Not really. I'll get compliments if it's in its far-more-complicated-than-it-looks braided updo.

Aside from the occasional spell where I'd force myself to wear it up for a certain period of time, I wore it loose at every length and it's about tailbone now.

Silverbrumby
November 17th, 2013, 01:05 PM
I rarely wear it down because it looks dreadful unless I do aa bunch of things to it.

Crumpet
November 17th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Only for a few hours at a time for a special occasion or upon request (usually a BF). I have fine hair and I'm very careful with it. Its usually up in a bun or in its sleep cap.

Down. I think I look prettier with my hair down -- and that's always what my friends tell me.

Only friends and family. I never wear it down in the office or around my students.

Yes. Both my friends and people I'm dating prefer me with my hair down and often suggest I take it down. I'll do it occasionally since I love having it down but its not common.

I've always worn my hair up a lot. I wore it down for a bit in college and noticed that it damaged easily when I did that so I returned to wearing it up more to protect it. Silly fine hair!

kysgrl
November 17th, 2013, 11:35 PM
Every other day to every day. I am only at bsl so its not a huge deal

curiouslight
November 17th, 2013, 11:55 PM
I never wear it up since I hate the way it looks on me so much. I would honestly rather have crazy, messy hair! Once it grows out a little longer I might wear it up a few times a month or something though, only because my hubby likes it.

longhairedlady
November 18th, 2013, 01:01 AM

Rarely, maybe once every few months or so? That does not include me leaving it down to dry, or when I occasionally sleep with it down.

Down, but its just not feasible at this length. It gets really hot (its like wearing a coat lol), it catches on everything, I sit on it if I dont pick it up, and I have to keep it brushed so it looks neat.

Well I am a pretty private person so there is not alot of people to actually show my hair too lol. But those that do see it are usually shocked at how long its gotten because it is almost always up.

Nope, the closest comment to this sort would be an elderly aunt who thinks I need to cut it all off and isnt afraid to voice that ignorant opinion of hers!

Well I have always worn it up alot no matter what length, but I would say that I wore it down more until I hit waist. Somewhere between that and hip it started to become inconvenient to wear down.

0xalis
November 18th, 2013, 01:13 AM
I was thinking of making a thread similar to this, I'm glad you beat me to it because people are probably getting sick of me! :p

I rarely wear my hair down unless I'm inside, but I'm getting quite sick of wearing it up.
DOWN! The vast majority of the time!!
Pretty much everyone.
Um, no, but when I took my hair down in Japanese class my friends all told me my hair looks really good down and I told them "that's why I wear it up, so It'll actually look good down!"
I started at a pixie so I wore it down until the point that it started rubbing against my clothing [I heard about clothing friction damage right around the time I reached that length *sigh*]

When I was a kid I got to waist, if not longer, wearing my hair down every single day and not taking the most pristine care of it. I'm sure my hair will be fine. I'll just trim if I find damage, big deal. *shrugs* My ends are a bit fragile because they were bleached at one point [they were what was left of my hair after the pixie lol]

Once my braid gets a bit longer I'll start wearing it braided quite often.

ETA:

And as for the perpetual question "Why have long hair if you never wear it down". People who ask this don't understand that wearing it down can be damaging over time. Hair catches on fabrics, furniture. It can rub against chairbacks and any other rough surface. And the tangles that can ensue!!! Wearing it down...once in a while...fine, but I want long, healthy hair, so I wear mine up to protect it! I don't have the patience to deal with snarls.

Oh trust me, I'm well aware that it's damaging, but I'm still going to be asking that question until the end of time. I'm quite sick of the paranoia, I just want to wear my hair the way that feels comfortable to me. Makes me want to cut back to mid-neck length so I can wear my hair down without worrying about damage, but that's so against the point!!!! Uhhhhhhhhhhg

TheWhiteRabbit
November 18th, 2013, 01:25 AM
I wear my hair down a lot. I love wearing it down and often cant stand wearing up for any extended amount of time. My hair was born to be free! However, lately I have been rolling it up in my window and getting it stuck so I have decided that it has reached the length where it doesnt get to do what it wants to do.
I love wearing it down. Just because thats what I like.
Yupp
No, since it is always down :P
I am reaching the length where it is getting in the way so I need to put it up more. Slamming it in the car door is not fun.

Lyv
November 18th, 2013, 02:13 AM

I wear mine down usually the first two days after a wash and then it goes up until the next wash.

I prefer my hair down because of the way it looks but having it up feels better (not as hot of heavy)

Yep

I don't leave mine up enough for that but my husband does ask me to take it down sometimes.

I wore mine down everyday until I got to BSL then it started getting in my way more.

Totty
November 18th, 2013, 05:14 AM
My hair is most of the time, but recently I try to wear it up more often because I am getting more and more SSK.
Down is my preference
all
Even if I wear my hair up for a few days, people comment, they like my wilderness curls more
Now that my stretched out hair is hitting my tailbone, I noticed a lot more SSK so I'm trying to wear it up more often.

XcaliburGirl
November 18th, 2013, 05:19 AM
Out in public: maybe 1-5 times a year. At home: in the evenings I often take my hair down.
I prefer the way it feels up. Sometimes I want to wear it down but after a while it's too hot or gets in the way.

Maybe once or twice since it's been long enough to put up or before I cut it. My husband has seen it down plenty of times.
Occasionally, my family does but I just tell them I like it up.
I've had it up since I could scrape it into a tiny messy ponystub.

ErinLeigh
November 18th, 2013, 05:20 AM
Thank you all for taking time to answer. I can't wait for my hair to be long enough for a pretty updo. I am hoping if I do it well it will take away attention from the fact I look kinda funny when it's up. Who knows, maybe I will grow into my face eventually. I have unique features so I always like to hide behind my hair and wear long chin length bangs. That being said I just hate the FEELING of hair in my face, hanging on my neck/back so I put it up every chance I get.

I work alone now so that is going to be great for my hair as I can wear it up as much as I want! Oddly though I currently blow dry and style before going onto work so it is "down" for the 10 minutes that I have to see someone during shift change. The minute they leave i throw it up. Silly isn't it? I may try a "challenge" not to style/dry for work for one month so I can incur less damage and start getting used to not having to have it "done" to feel comfortable.
Home life is already covered. Luckily bf is wonderful and I can be myself. I can lounge un showered in my jammies, hair slicked back with oil/bunned and glasses on and he still makes me feel good about myself. I would however, rather save the down hair moments for going out with him instead of wasting styling and damage for work when I am alone 11hr:50min at a time anyway. I need to start being more conscience of mechanical damage from wasted styling if I am in this to grow.

As one of the posters said, buns tell no tale of length so I always wondered how many people you had met who had no clue how long your hair was.
When I was young and would watch Little House on the Prarie I always loved the night time scenes when Ma Caroline would take her updo down. It was always a shock to see her go from up, where you couldn't tell its length, to long and glorious. Yes I am a dork

Okay back to the subject of the post. A few more questions:

6. Do any of you get a secret thrill taking your bun down in front of someone and showing off your length, or do you prefer the incognito feel of having long hair but no one knows what is hiding in that bun? (I would think I would find "excuses" to rebun and show it off :cool: )

7. Do you consider "up" or "down" to be your "styled" hair. (To me down is styled and up is casual - but that may change as it grows and I learn updos)

8. For those who almost always wear it up, what lends the to occasion for wearing it down? date, special event, holidays?
For shorter haired people an updo is their "special style." Is it the opposite when hair is long and you always wear it up? Does Down become your "formal look."

If you cant tell, long hair fascinates me. There is just something so unique and special about seeing someone with long, beautiful hair. It lends a certain mystique to the person IMO.

florenonite
November 18th, 2013, 05:56 AM

I'm the opposite; down is "I couldn't be bothered doing anything with it", while up is some kind of style.

ETA:
For those who almost always wear it up, what lends the to occasion for wearing it down? date, special event, holidays?

(Note: Although I wear my hair down a lot at shorter lengths, when my hair has been longer in the past I've worn it up almost exclusively, so I feel I can answer this from that perspective.)

Pretty much never. I just don't think of loose hair as being formal or styled, so for special events I do a nice updo.

Heni
November 18th, 2013, 07:50 AM
In the last 5 months I wore my hair down outside twice. The last 10cm/ 4 inches is "weaker" due to flat ironing and blow drying, and stylist-made taper and layers. It does not look that good down , but it has only a few splits so for now it is just s & d and wearing it up, will maintaining when I reached my goal. Maybe when that part is gone I will be wearing it down a little more, but not that much, because I get irritataed quite soon. I dont know how could I wear it down every. single. day. before..

sourgrl
November 18th, 2013, 08:07 AM
1. Down every day, every time I'm out. (I'm just passing BSL)
2. While wearing it down is a preference for me it also serves a purpose: it hides an uncomfortable scar
3. People rarely see it up.
4. -
5. At home I wear it up most of the time unless it's shorter than APL
6. Given my previous responses this isn't something I do but I can see the pleasure in it.
7. Down hair is my style; up or down it's styled.
8. -

TiaKitty
November 18th, 2013, 08:17 AM
1. how often everyone wears their hair down. I wear my hair down daily. It gets put up when I'm doing something that it would need protecting from (like riding in the car or using the hand mixer)

2. is wearing hair up or down your preference (not what you actually do, what you wish you could) Down feels better to me.

3. have most people you know actually seen your hair down? Yes, everyone has seen it down.

4. do people make comments to you about the fact that it is always up, or suggest taking it down? Nah, because I wear it down often.

5. did you tend tend to wear it down a lot more until it hit a certain length, or did you always wear up. Mostly down, up for school, because of a dress code.

6. Do any of you get a secret thrill taking your bun down in front of someone and showing off your length, or do you prefer the incognito feel of having long hair but no one knows what is hiding in that bun? When it is up, after riding in the car, if I see someone giving me side-eye or being kind of bitchy, yes, I kind of revel in the bun-drop and the fluff out. I can think of one teacher at my kids' school, in particular, who gets irritated when I do it, so I do it in front of her when I can... :demon:

7. Do you consider "up" or "down" to be your "styled" hair. Up is styled for me...

8. For those who almost always wear it up, what lends the to occasion for wearing it down? date, special event, holidays? I'm opposite, something special is an updo!

So, for me, comfort is down and up is for safety, or to show off an intricate updo for a special occasion.

Applegirl84
November 18th, 2013, 08:26 AM
I don't think of styled as up or down, but more how much effort it took. My hair down air dried or a messy bun or braid isn't all that "styled" to me. If I use foam rollers when my hair is down or put effort into an updo I consider it styled.

DweamGoiL
November 18th, 2013, 08:42 AM
I wear it down mostly. It comes up gradually the closer to wash day it gets. First a pony tail on day 3 or 4, and on the last day before a wash, I usually do the bun thing. Right now it's at mid-back and I will try to grow it again to waist and see how I feel then, but if it starts to feel heavy again, I will just keep it where it is now with the layers to add movement.

I like it down better particularly since my buns usually tend to feel heavy. In the summer, I may do the half and half thing.

Yes

Not anymore. When I first grew it out to TBL several years back, I used to wear it up all the time to protect it. It was rare when I wore it down so people were really curious about it. Now, personally, I can't be bothered obsessing over stuff so the minute it becomes too much work and I am not enjoying it anymore, then I will cut it to a more manageable length. No more keeping it only this way or that way *shaking head*

If it grows to a length where I can't wear it down and since I don't plan on growing past waist, I don't think this will be the case, but if it does, then a trim will be in my near future.

LauraLongLocks
November 18th, 2013, 09:09 AM

6. Do any of you get a secret thrill taking your bun down in front of someone and showing off your length, or do you prefer the incognito feel of having long hair but no one knows what is hiding in that bun? (I would think I would find "excuses" to rebun and show it off )

I've noticed the most hated question on this forum is from people in your life who say "why have long hair if you never wear it down?"
That got me curious because a question like that would mean hair is always up then right?. Do you love updos or is it more for protection and ease. Can you have really long hair and wear it down often enough? Do you wear it up even when you want to look "your best?"

My preference for comfort is up but for looks is down. I am all about comfort and to me that is up. That being said, in public I never wear it up as I have a weird hairline, weird dent at my temples and a narrow egg shaped head. I just don't look good with hair up. I also have a widows peak which adds to my narrow head illusion. I am starting to wonder if I grow hair, will I feel the need to wear it up anyway, thus starting to put my egghead out for public viewing? :p

1. I can't remember the last time I wore my hair down.
2. Wearing my hair up is my preference for practicality, day-to-day life is easier with it out of the way, and not getting tangled.
3. I recently posted a length shot on Facebook, so yes, most people I know HAVE seen my hair down, but I so rarely wear it down that few people outside my family have actually seen it down in person.
4. No. Never. Everyone I know is so busy dealing with their own life, they don't have time to care about my hair.
5. I think I wore it down a lot until I reached APL, simply because I didn't know a lot of styles, and didn't realize how I could prevent tangles and breakage by wearing my hair up. I searched for long hair updos, and that's how I found LHC. I only knew how to ponytail, scrunchie bun, french, english, and dutch braid.
6. Yes, it's almost long enough to be WOW length, and on Friday night I helped some young teenagers learn how to do a nautilus while I was watching my children at their swim meet. When I took it down and demonstrated how to do the bun, I overheard one of the young ladies tell my 15 year old son, "Your mom has really long hair." That was pretty cool.
7. Up is for casual and for formal. Down is only allowed for very special occasions. Formal updos would include the french twist, the gibson tuck (or my new braided variation you see in my avatar), crown braid, and probably some new styles I haven't learned yet. I'm thinking the Jamie Leigh and the equilibrium bun also look fancy enough for a formal updo. Casual updos would include the cinnamon bun, gibralter, nautilus, traditional chinese or braided chinese. A half-up, with the top in any favorite updo, would be a formal do for me, if the bottom was done in soft rag curls.
8. During the holidays, I am usually busy serving, working in the kitchen, so this is definitely NOT a time to have my hair down. My anniversary dinner with my husband (a tradition of ours, we always go to a NICE place for dinner, and sometimes see a live performance) is definitely a time to put my hair up in rag curls and let the cascade of waves and curls allure my man all night long. He loves my hair, up or down, but since he knows I don't wear it down very often, it would be very sensual and sexy for me to wear it down and show it off. A regular weekly date with my husband would not be a time to wear it down. Attending my children's weddings (when they get to that milestone in life... I'm really looking forward to that time in life) would absolutely be a time to wear my hair down, or in a half-up.

Salmonberry
November 18th, 2013, 09:31 AM

My hair is down every day. It only goes up if I'm required to do it for safety reasons or a class. I took a dance class once and needed to wear it up. I hated it.

Down is my preference. I feel really uncomfortable when it's up.

Yes. They actually think it's weird when they see me with it up. Most haven't seen it up.

Nope. Not really applicable. But people don't do the reverse either, no one really gives me any input on what I should do with my hair.

I've always worn it down 99.9% of the time at every length I've had. It's about halfway between APL and BSL now and it doesn't bother me. The longest I ever had my hair was probably about MBL at age 14. I still wore it down every day and it was in pretty good health as far as I remember.

6. Do any of you get a secret thrill taking your bun down in front of someone and showing off your length, or do you prefer the incognito feel of having long hair but no one knows what is hiding in that bun?

Not applicable. But I am enjoying some of the comments and compliments I've been getting recently on the length/color/condition of my hair.

7. Do you consider "up" or "down" to be your "styled" hair.

I consider it styled when it's anything other than down and air dried.

Since 8 isn't applicable, I'll now go on to explain my I'm such an up-do rebel. I never wore my hair up as a child and just never got used to the feeling. The fact that I have somewhat angular facial features and very prominent ears doesn't make me so eager to jump on the up-do bandwagon. Having my hair down softens my features, hides my ears and makes me feel all around more attractive. I'd rather have shorter hair that I can wear down all the time than hair so long that I have to keep it up 99% of the time. My goal now is waist, and I'm sure I'll have no problem wearing it down most of the time. I definitely admire all of the intricate buns and up-dos that I see members doing here, and I wish those types of styles looked good on me. But they don't.... :(

DarkCurls
November 18th, 2013, 10:16 AM
I wear my hair down once or twice a week, usually, so everyone I know has seen my hair down at least a few times.

I kind of understand the eternal question, Why always wear your hair up? because I think I look more attractive with my hair down. But I don't really wear my hair for other people, I do it for myself, and my hair just gets in the way when it's down -- the strap of my backpack, the collar of my coat, the door, the screws on the back of a chair... When I don't want to have to be careful, I just put it up, like many people here.
Because it's curly, every day is also not a "good hair day," so on those days I wear it up.

People tend to ask me why I don't wear my hair down more often, but they understand when I explain, so they usually don't ask more than once. And I get the "wow" factor for my curls whenever I do wear my hair down, which is nice.

I used to wear it down every day before I hit BSL. I stopped when I joined LHC.

For "styled" hair is definitely down. Any bun or updo is casual (except crown braids, I'd say) and since a bun usually takes very little time to make, they're my everyday style. "Down," on the other hand, needs to be planned in advance and it's my preferred look. But I wear it down a couple times a week, not just for any special event -- though for Christmas, for example, or at a formal event, I do wear it down.

It is funny, now that I think of it. Updos are generally considered a formal look.

Zindell
November 18th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Pretty much always! Once in a blue moon (or hot summer day) I make a messy french twist or a braid.

Wearing it down is my preference. Always.

Yes.

Doesn't apply since it's almost always down.

It's just passed BSL and still comfortable to wear down. If it comes to a length when it's not comfortable i'd just chop of an inch and concider it my goal length. :p

Doesn't apply since it's almost always down.

I guess I concider "up" as styled but I still prefer mine down.

Question doesn't apply to me since it's down. "Always". :)

~honeyflower~
November 18th, 2013, 12:36 PM
I wear my hair up when I'm going outside and doing choirs. However, I let my hair down to rest my scalp. The reason why I have it up is for protection from getting it pulled or ripped which can damage hair, not to mention tangles.

0xalis
November 18th, 2013, 05:28 PM
[This is a part two, since more questions were added!]

6. Do any of you get a secret thrill taking your bun down in front of someone and showing off your length, or do you prefer the incognito feel of having long hair but no one knows what is hiding in that bun?
Although my hair's not very long, I can definitely say yes to this question. Part of me deciding to wear my hair up every day was for the wow factor when I take it down! ♥

7. Do you consider "up" or "down" to be your "styled" hair?
I don't ever really "style" my hair. I love my hair just the way it is naturally. If I do a really fancy updo [which is nearly impossible at this length, lol] THEN I'll consider it "styled".

I just get sick of it up, so I'll take it down for a while. However yes, a date or special event would definitely be an excuse for me. I want a satin wedding dress so I can wear my hair down at my wedding without feeling guilty :p

I'd rather have shorter hair that I can wear down all the time than hair so long that I [I]have to keep it up 99% of the time.

I agree 100%! I might just settle with waist length so I can wear my hair down or in a braid! I too, wore my hair down every day when I was a kid, and it was in pretty good condition. My friend has classic length hair that she doesn't really care that well for, and our hair type is very similar.

kganihanova
November 18th, 2013, 05:47 PM
I wear my hair down in class to give my scalp a break and I try to wear ponytails on days that I will be *ahem* seeing my partner. Updos and adult activity don't mix. But if I'm out and about/running errands/studying etc, hair is usually contained.

Foxylocks
November 18th, 2013, 06:07 PM
I very rarely wear my hair down. I don't know exactly how often; it is a rarity.
I prefer my hair in its daily braid. That way it isn't flying into my eyes and nose. Also, if my hair is down, many healthy hairs get ripped out by accident (gruesome, I know).
Yes, most people I know have seen my hair down.
People often inquire why I always wear my hair in a braid. I respond by informing them of my wild, stringy hair finding its way into my eyes and nose when it is down. The occasional rude person will tell me that I would look much better if only I would take my hair out of its braid. I tell them that I do things for practicality, not appearance.
I haven't always worn my hair up. A long time ago, I would wear it down all the time. I can't recall when that was.
I never take my hair out of its braid, at least not when I am outside of my house. I don't consider my hair long enough to be worn down yet (yes, i know it is hip length, but I have a short torso so my hair appears short).
I am not exactly sure what styling is. I always assumed that styling is when someone heat styles or blow dries their hair. I have never curled, straightened, or blow dried my hair, so I guess I have never styled it? :confused: All I know is my simple English braid. I know other braids besides that, but I never wear them.
I don't really have a designated time when I where my hair down. Once in a blue moon, I tell myself that I should wear my hair down. It might not even be a special day.
Braids are a source of protection and ease to me. I hate the feeling of my hair on my neck and in my face, and I don't want it to be damaged by friction from my shirt or chopped off by one of those hair-stealers that sneak up behind you and stealthily cut off your hair (i am paranoid about odd notions).

CurlyCap
November 18th, 2013, 07:47 PM
I only wear my hair up if it's more comfortable to do so. For example, if I'm cleaning or changing a baby....times when I don't want my hair getting in the way! Otherwise, I like my hair big and curly. Occasionally, I'll experiment with a hairstyle just because it makes the girly in me happy.

But we'll see how it works out when my visible length is longer. My hair may be waist length, but it only hangs between APL and BSL. It's wide, but not very long.

ifoundxaway
November 18th, 2013, 08:35 PM
My hair is down maybe once or twice every two weeks. I don't really have a preference, anything to get it out of my face/out of my way.

Plenty of people have seen my hair down.

Nobody suggests anything about what to do with my hair. Except that I shouldn't cut it or shave it like I have before.

When it's shorter I'll wear it down every day, but right now it's down to my butt so I braid it usually. Both are styled.

Taking it down depends on what my hairstyle was that I'm taking it down from. If it's just braided, then it's nice and wavy (what my boyfriend calls "mermaid hair") and I'm happy to take it down and shake it out. If it was in a ponytail (almost never) then there's that crease from the hair tie. If it's bunned who knows how it'll turn out. So I'm not likely to let those hairstyles loose in public.

If it's down, it means that I either braided it while wet and let it dry so it could get wavy (thus styling it) or I went to the effort to blow dry it. If it's up I braided it or bunned it and that's quick and easy so I guess that doesn't count as styling but that's kinda "up" to me.

There is no special occasion for whatever hairstyle. It's really how I feel that day.

spirals
November 19th, 2013, 03:15 AM
1. how often everyone wears their hair down. twice a week, on wash days. Sometimes it goes up after it dries, but not usually, as I just don't bother. The sometimes are when I have to due to work.
2. is wearing hair up or down your preference (not what you actually do, what you wish you could) preference is now for updos; it's out of the way
3. have most people you know actually seen your hair down? yes, for years and years before LHC
4. do people make comments to you about the fact that it is always up, or suggest taking it down? [i]once in a while, if the subject comes up; it's the midwest and people are less interested in appearance here
5. did you tend tend to wear it down a lot more until it hit a certain length, or did you always wear up. For years and years I kept it between BSL and APL, and wore it down. Now it's waist and up is easier.

6. Do any of you get a secret thrill taking your bun down in front of someone and showing off your length, or do you prefer the incognito feel of having long hair but no one knows what is hiding in that bun? (I would think I would find "excuses" to rebun and show it off ) Neither statement applies to me. I guess I don't think about what people think of my hair. If I re-do it, it's because it's gotten heavy and is pulling scalp hairs.

7. Do you consider "up" or "down" to be your "styled" hair. (To me down is styled and up is casual - but that may change as it grows and I learn updos) either/or Styled is not wet anymore.

8. For those who almost always wear it up, what lends the to occasion for wearing it down? date, special event, holidays? wash day
For shorter haired people an updo is their "special style." Is it the opposite when hair is long and you always wear it up? Does Down become your "formal look." I just realized I never do anything formal. I guess a special occasion style would be dependent on fancier hair toys?

That got me curious because a question like that would mean hair is always up then right?. Do you love updos or is it more for protection and ease. Can you have really long hair and wear it down often enough? Do you wear it up even when you want to look "your best?" It never looks good on non=washdays. On wash days it looks good 50% of the time. I don't love updos. They're convenient.

If you cant tell, long hair fascinates me. There is just something so unique and special about seeing someone with long, beautiful hair. It lends a certain mystique to the person IMO. I think I have an egg head, too. That's why I always have shorter, face-framing layers. Always.

RedSonja
November 19th, 2013, 04:46 AM
I wear my hair most of the time down, even when it was longer and healthier, tailbone to classic length.(i´m having some health issues and of course it affects my hair). I prefer to see and wear hair down. It´s wild and feminine. :) And everybody sees my hair mostly down .
I think it would be better to wear it up more often but because of my hair thickness and waves/curls it does not get very messed after a whole day down (and a whole night), maybe i just don´t care THAT much... :) nice thread!

ErinLeigh
November 19th, 2013, 05:39 AM

Since 8 isn't applicable, I'll now go on to explain my I'm such an up-do rebel. I never wore my hair up as a child and just never got used to the feeling. The fact that I have somewhat angular facial features and very prominent ears doesn't make me so eager to jump on the up-do bandwagon. Having my hair down softens my features, hides my ears and makes me feel all around more attractive. I'd rather have shorter hair that I can wear down all the time than hair so long that I have to keep it up 99% of the time. My goal now is waist, and I'm sure I'll have no problem wearing it down most of the time. I definitely admire all of the intricate buns and up-dos that I see members doing here, and I wish those types of styles looked good on me. But they don't.... :(

I have angular face too. It just doesnt look right on me having hair up. sigh I need the softness also. I am hoping when it grows so some of the loose, fuller side updos work for me

jupiterinleo
November 19th, 2013, 10:34 AM
I like to wear it down pretty frequently, usually the first 4 days after washing. After day 4 I alternate between buns and braids until wash day, day 7.

TheLadyKM
November 19th, 2013, 10:46 AM
I'm wearing my hair down mayb once a week...half-day
I like my hair down more since my boyfriend loves it down when I am with him, but if it's summer,I prefer wearing a bun.
Yes but rarely..
No. (my boyfriend suggest taking it down as it makes me look more relaxed)
When it was shorter and i did not start long length journey, I wore it down often...but now I am more caring towards it.

nobeltonya
November 19th, 2013, 11:04 AM
As much as I can.. I wash in the morning and wet bun or braid for 2-3 hours, but by 11-12, I'll take it down. I won't generally put it up again until I sleep.

I prefer to wear it down, and as much as I can, that is what I do.

Yes, because it's down most of the time.

No.

I actually have worn it down since I hit waist. Before that, it was always up.. like all day, in a wet messy bun.

Yes, one time I was taking out a top knot and this guy walking by was like, "Holy crap your hair is long." :D

Up. Down is my easy, lazy hair.

IDK..

I personally keep my hair long because of the options I have with it regarding updos and such, and because I love how it looks. I look like a boy with a pixie, and Weird Al when it's around my shoulders.. XD And I only wear mine up when it's overly hot or cold, windy, it may get caught in something, or if I'm working and it'll get in the way.. otherwise, it's loose as much as possible! :disco:

jacqueline101
November 19th, 2013, 12:39 PM
1 how often everyone wears their hair down.
I wear mine down once a month and that is on wash day. Which has turned into treatment day.
2 is wearing your hair up or down your preference. I prefer to keep mine up. My wish would be to wear it down and have no tangles.
3 have most people seen my hair down. Not since I've joined here. I wear it up all the time.
4 do people comment about my hair being up all the time. No not really.
5 did I start wearing it down more once I hit a certain length. No my hair isn't long enough to get noticed when it's down.

Mountaingrrl
November 19th, 2013, 01:14 PM
I wear it braided or bunned most of the time.

I like both, and I love half-ups, too!

I used to wear it down more often, so most people who've known me more than a few months have seen it down.

Actually, the opposite. I'm a woman of a certain age, which I think makes a difference in others' perceptions.

Since a little past waist I started wearing it up a lot more.

It varies. Sometimes I want to show off; sometimes I want to be inconspicuous.

Anything other than English braids or a basic bun is "styled".

I wear it down or in dramatic half-ups for a "rock star" image. Certain intricate updos are for formal occasions.

Partly it's for protection and ease, and partly it's for image. My hair attracts a lot of attention when down, and I don't always want that in my daily life. But I love being able to wear it down when I feel like showing off.

Tail Feathers
November 19th, 2013, 01:30 PM
1. how often everyone wears their hair down
it's been about 130 days or so since i last wore it down, and before that i was in the middle east, so with my hair covered (and up underneath anyway),
but... i suppose i wear it down for Very Special occasions, and usually private ones

i feel fine with it up, but incredibly more attractive with it down

No. I believe very few actually have.

yes, a lot of comments. They are very curious how long is it or how I did a certain updo

yes, I did. I wore it down a lot more before i passed hip length

I would get a secret thrill doing that, maybe it is the reason I keep it up so much, almost like
keeping it a little bit private... but it would have to be the "right" person... a priviledge or something exclusive . . .

I consider up to be styled; down more intimate, natural.

maybe a very special evening with someone very special...but i am not into flashy attention drawing with it from people I do not know.
Maybe that is because now that it is pretty long (at least for where I live), if I leave it down, people follow me and many people touch it.
Down to stay in a private setting with someone special; up to go out "into the wild world" is I think now my choice.

Laura-Anne
November 19th, 2013, 02:00 PM
1. How often everyone wears their hair down?
I wear my hair down maybe 1-2 times a week, maybe after a shower.

I would love to wear my hair down most of the time. But I also would love to put it up in pretty braids and buns when I have more length. I guess I want it to look pretty all of the time and a mixture of it being up and down ;)

My family sees is down after a shower. My friends and acquaintances see it down pretty much never. I mostly wear it down only on special occasions.

It doesn't bother me (most of the time) when people ask me why I don't wear it down. They usually say it somewhat like this "your hair is so pretty, you should wear it down more often/why don't you wear it down more often?". If they say it along those lines I will take it as a compliment. But you do get those rude people every once in a while.

I've pretty much always tend to wear it up. Lately I've been wearing it down at home like once a week. I think it is because I have almost hit hip. Once I hit my goal of tailbone-classic I will wear it down more frequently.

Yes, sometimes :). I like that because people can only see your length for a few seconds before you put it up again.

It is both to me. If I wear my hair down at ALL it is usually a special occasion. But I also wear my hair up on special events, but in that case it is more intricate and fancy than the usual pencil bun.

Down is usually my formal look. I will wear it down for holidays, weddings, maybe dates.

Wearing hair up is for protection and ease and the look of it. I just love the look of updos. It's so elegant and pretty in a classy, romantic way. Some people with long locks wear their hair down most of the time. I am not that person. If I want to look my best, yes I will also sometimes wear it up depending on what I am wearing or how I feel that day.

ErinLeigh
November 19th, 2013, 04:41 PM
You all have such pretty hair!

ErinLeigh
November 19th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Are any of you wearing hair up only while it grows out length, color or layers? Do you plan to wear it down more once you hit your goal length?
I am going to try to wear mine up to prevent damage, but my goal is to get to wear it down once it gets length back. Up will be for homelife.

slyviolet
November 20th, 2013, 10:51 AM
This thread is making me so excited to get my hair down to APL again when I can start wearing it fully up...! I'm just cruising past CBL right now, and my bun is about 1/4 of a turn away from being feasible... but for now, especially as I'm weaning myself off of ponytails, I'm wearing it down a lot.

Ambystoma
November 25th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Around 1 - 3 times a week, just if I'm going somewhere and want to feel fancy.

I like how it looks down, but keeping it up is a lot easier! I pretty much never have it down at home save to detangle or dry since I don't want to keep track of where the ends are around stoves, washing machines, wicker laundry baskets etc plus I don't want it rubbing around on my chair while I'm at the computer. I sleep with it up too, since it's just easier that way - keeps it safe from my partner who is a very active sleeper, and it takes next to no time to detangle in the morning.

Yup, I think all of them have.

Nope!

I wore it up constantly when it was growing back from a short cut since I hated the look of anything above BSL on me and felt prettier with it up.

excentricat
November 25th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Sometimes computer time in the evening, or go go out and show it off, but not often and not for all day.

Prefer up to keep it out of trouble, out of my face, hands, book, etc.

Yes

Nope

One of the first things I did when joining LHC was to join the wear hair up for a year challenge to teach myself to wear it up. That made it a habit. Before LHC it was always down or pony

I do both, I like for people to see that it's always up for awhile, and then one day surprise them with it down.

Up is styled, but only if it is something fancier than a basic bun or braid

Special event, date, feeling the need to show off

I just today cut some long bangs because I was bothered by the amount of forehead I showed when my hair was up, and that finally overcame my fear of bangs.

chen bao jun
November 25th, 2013, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE=excentricat;2575729]1. how often everyone wears their hair down.
maybe once or twice a month

I actually have always preferred to have my hair pulled back (I used to wear a ponytail a lot when it was shorter) or in braids. My hair is rather 'swingy' if that is a word and its very thick and it becomes an annoyance quickly when its loose. It gets into literally everything even when its short.

Mostly everybody, because once or twice a month is a lot.

Only my husband, who like my hair down, says I look more approachable. Everybody else says I look nice either way.

My hair is still not any length by LHC standards so for me this question is N/A

Naw. As I said, I'm not that long. I'm not thrilled to take my hair down in front of people though for the reason that I have the kind of curly hair that everybody wants to touch all the time. When its up, they can only try to play with my bangs, not mess with my whole head (which I try to be agreeable, but it gets annoying).

Neither one. Up can be styled if I do something more complicated than a cinnabun and down can be styled too. when I wear my curls out, people tend to ask how I 'did' that and are startled that its natural.

Date night, going to a wedding, going to see family I haven't seen in some time.

I do have bangs. But I look much the same without them. Nothing ever makes me look very different, for good or for bad, that's just how it is.

endlessly
November 25th, 2013, 04:02 PM
1. I very rarely wear my hair down anymore except fresh after a washing so it is able to air-dry better and I probably haven’t worn it down in public in a very long while! Main reasons, it ended up catching on EVERYTHING. Especially when I was at work and that quickly became an annoyance!

2. My preference would be to wear it down more since that was what I used to do before it got to the length it’s at now, but I wear it up to protect it so it can continue to grow longer.

3. Every person I know has seen my hair down at some point, but no one except immediate family has seen it down lately. It has probably grown 6+ inches since the last time I wore it down in public and at work.

4. Yes, all the time! Most people won’t believe that it’s all my hair when I have it styled in an up-do or a bun and they always tend to argue with me to get me to take it down.

5. I wore it down constantly until I hit waist length and in order to protect it, I decided to start styling it into more up-dos. I even tried doing a half up-do so I could still show off the length, but once it went past my waist, I didn’t want to risk it!

6. Because of the community I love, long hair is a rarity – and not necessarily a good rarity. Most here tend to be 100% in support of donation, which is all well and good if that’s your decision, but it definitely isn’t mine. So, I prefer knowing that I have long hair, but not letting others know. I’ve had too many bad experiences!

7. In the past, I would say that ‘up’ would be considered ‘styled’ for me, but since that now takes me little to no time, I would have to say ‘down’. When I have chosen to wear my hair in the past, I either had to curl it or ‘style’ it to look good down and honestly, it was a lot of work! Now, wearing it up all the time is incredibly easy.

8. If I wear it down in the future, it would probably be for a special occasion. If I’m having a ‘lazy day’ when I know I won’t be doing too much activity or just watching movies, I’ll definitely wear it down to give it a break!

The main reason I choose to wear my hair up now is to protect it from the damage that can be caused from it catching or snagging on other objects. I’ve had the misfortune of shutting the car and front doors with my hair stuck in the latch and trust me, it is far from pleasant! I didn’t want to cause any further damage to deter the health and growth of my hair. Wearing it up just seemed to be the easiest and most logical option for me, plus I dont have to deal with questions about donation. :)

catamonica
November 29th, 2013, 01:13 PM
During the day, I wear my hair in a braided bun. On Friday, afternoon, I wear it down until Monday. Wearing it up protects the hair. My ends are split free. And braiding it at night keeps your hair from tangling. And in the morning I have wavy hair. I have to wear it down by Friday. You have to let your hair breath.
And it feels great loose & free. And my husband likes it down.

durgidog
November 29th, 2013, 01:29 PM
I'm an artist and I use power tools so I keep my hair up in the studio, mostly down everywhere else unless I've done a heavy oiling. My hair is nearly APL and my buns are anemic and I'm not really a pony girl. I also don't think having my hair up is very flattering to my face. I don't get splits so it hasn't been a problem wearing it down, we'll see if that changes at BSL.

Lilybeany
November 30th, 2013, 02:41 AM
Nearly all the time. When I have a hot moment I may pin up till it passes. I except I may have more splits but the pay off for me out ways that. I love feeling my hair down.

gus
November 30th, 2013, 05:00 AM
Never at work or at the gym; at work it's up in buns or a crown braid (any style that keeps all the hair up rather than just back), while at the gym it's always either in pigtails or a French braid. It's only down at home when I'm drying it or when I'm riding my bike (I love the feel of the wind in my hair!).

Up is my preference, in terms of how it looks and how fun it is to put it up. Down is often more comfortable, though.

Not that many - probably friends who have come over to my house, since it's usually down when I'm just hanging out.

Generally I get compliments on the more elaborate styles and/or the flowers I wear (that's kind of my "signature" in terms of what I do with my hair). A few people (all men, weirdly) have said that I should wear it down more, but I ignore them pretty easily.

I've been growing my hair straight along (with just a few trims) since it was buzzed off in '08, so I can say that the minute I was able to do a ponytail, it was up much more often than down. It's just easier.

Heh, I like the idea of a "secret thrill", and I suppose I do -- certainly I always appreciate what compliments I receive if I have to take my hair down and rebun it. People do tend to be surprised at how long it is.

Depends entirely on the updo - for me a nautilus or knot bun or "standard" bun is very casual, but something like a spiral or vortex bun would be styled. A plain French or English braid straight down the back is casual; a crown braid or a gibson tuck would be styled. Down also depends -- it's casual when it's air-dryed and styled when I've curled or blow-dried it.

Usually when I want to look a bit younger, I'll wear it loose.

koolkittychick
November 30th, 2013, 06:11 AM

Not often, but more so since I made it past BSL.

It's my preference, but with my hair type (I'm type 4 relaxed), that would lead to excessive damage, so I leave it up most of the time.

Yes, but so infrequently that they are surprised every time they see it.

Not really. They only comment on it when it's down and they realize it's not as short as they thought it was.

Actually, yes. When I was short and relaxed, I wore it down all the time because it was SL or shorter. When I was natural, I wore it out in an Afro all the time for five years because even though I grew it to BSL, it appeared to be about neck length due to shrinkage, and it was more convenient (and cute!) to wear the Afro. When I went back to relaxing my hair about five years ago, I wore it down until it hit below SL, then I started putting it up almost all the time.

I love doing bun take-downs and showing off my hair, especially when the person I'm doing it in front of thought I had short hair to begin with. This is especially pleasurable for me as a Black girl. :D

It depends. Usually both my up and down styles are casual (i.e., I don't do anything extraordinary to the hair to make it look a certain way) due to my lazy nature and refusal to use heat on my hair. If I do a roller set on my down hair, or put my up hair in a french braid or a Chinese bun, then it is styled. If my down hair is just loose and down, or my up hair is in a messy bun, then it's casual.

Mostly holidays, dates and job interviews.

9. For shorter haired people an updo is their "special style." Is it the opposite when hair is long and you always wear it up? Does Down become your "formal look."
Yes.

queenieheather
November 30th, 2013, 08:52 AM
I used to wear it down every day. Over the last few months I have been learning braids and using hair toys! So it's been up A LOT more than ever before.

I prefer to leave it down every day.

Yes, but I am about to start a new job. They have only seen my hair up, so I'm going to try leaving it up for months at work. Then wear it down one day.

Some wonder why I never put it up.

I'm wearing it up a lot more now, I'm just touching waist when pulled straight(3acurls) currently because of the new updos I'm learning and stretching washes. By the third day my curls are pulled out and just too weird to wear down.

lol yes when people are surprised my stick holds it all up without pins or a hair tie

Both, but mostly down because I think it looks prettier. But now that I'm learning braids, when I have a good one it's a big deal.
I have never put my hair up for a special event, but I might start to.

9. For shorter haired people an updo is their "special style." Is it the opposite when hair is long and you always wear it up? Does Down become your "formal look."

teenerz
November 30th, 2013, 09:28 AM
I mostly wear my hair down, I'll put it in a ponytail a few times a week generally.

martyna_22
November 30th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Very rarely. Every 2 months, maybe?
Down! So much!! I look so much better then. I wish I could do it on a daily basis..
Yup, definitely, I used to wear it down all the time before LHC.
I've heard a few comments so far.. But nobody has a problem with that :)
Like I've already mentioned, I used to wear it down a lot. Until BSL or so. Right now I'm back to BSL from waist and it's practically always up.
I don't have much to show off just yet :)
"Down" is definitely styled :D
When I want to look prettier than usual - the last time was when I went to see a play. ;)

Helenae
November 30th, 2013, 11:56 AM
My hair is between waist & hip length. On most days I wear my hair either completely down or in a half up-do so that you can still see the length but I have my hair off my face. I hardly every wear my hair completely up unless I'm lounging at home & it's annoying me.

I much prefer wearing my hair down - it looks more feminine, playful & young. I also feel comforted by my hair if I ever want to hide my face when I feel shy, hehe :)

Yes, I hardly wear my hair up unless it's in a half up-do (which isn't a protective style, it's just to keep the hair off my face).

Most people have told me they prefer me with my hair down. I once got told at my job that I look like a completely different person with my hair up.

I always wore it down.

Yes, I like taking my hair down. Having long hair makes me feel like myself, I can't explain it - but I feel comforted. I think most people on this site take pride in their hair otherwise they wouldn't be fussing over it so much.

At the moment, "up" is casual and "down" is casual. I hardly every style my hair because I like the natural look. However, I have done a few styled up-dos, but I don't particularly like them because they feel rigid & unnatural if you want to move about or feel free to put your head on a pillow or something. The only up-do I like that feels comfortable is a french braid.

I also want to add that wearing up-dos everyday can also be damaging if you have a lot of hair or very long hair. Firstly, hair ties (even the softest ones) will sever at your hair if you're consistently placing them in the same place. Secondly, when your hair is up the hair follicles at the root are being pulled & strained. My grandma had classic length hair which she wore in an up-do nearly everyday. By the time she was 75, she actually had a really bad receding hair line because of the hair strain at the roots from wearing an up-do everyday.

cowgirllong
November 30th, 2013, 02:31 PM
I used to always, always wear my hair up, either bunned or braided. But last year I decided to enjoy wearing my hair down once in a while. I love showing off my natural wave pattern. If I am not home, I carry a fork or hair sticks with me in case I need to put it up. Most people who really know me, have seen my hair down. And I do get a secret thrill out of showing off how long my hair is. But I also enjoy the fact that people have no idea how long it is when I have it up. The main feeling I have about wearing my hair is that I want to enjoy it. Sometimes that means wearing it down or partly down. Other times it is wearing a cool looking updo with a fancy hair toy.

thirstylocks
November 30th, 2013, 03:42 PM
1. Daily =/ although i sleep with it in a bun
2. Love my hair down, even though I know it is awful for it.
3. Yep
4. No, my mom does like it better up actually.
5. I'm hoping as it gets longer, I'll be more inclined to atleast try half-up dos.

makeminea99
November 30th, 2013, 04:34 PM
I usually wear my hair down for the first couple of days after washing it, then it's updos until I can be bothered to wash it! ;) Having said that, I will wear it up or down for specific reasons, eg up if I'm doing housework, decorating, cooking, bathing the kids, dance class, wet or windy weather, down if I'm out on the tiles with my friends or my husband, or if I've not long henna'ed it and it's looking brilliant and I want to show it off! Sometimes I too have been asked, 'why have it long if you mostly wear it up?' And to that I say, 'how else can I go from Librarian to Schoolgirl to Rock Chick in a matter of minutes without wigs?' that's the best thing about long hair - the versatility.

ThatOneMermaid
November 30th, 2013, 06:47 PM
All the time. I should probably start putting it up more to protect the ends, but I think I look better with it down. The only times I'll really wear it up now are when I'm annoyed with it and don't want to deal with it, maybe a pretty updo for an occasion, up in a pony for cheer practice, or when it would be inconvenient to have it down (cleaning, doing dishes, etc.).

Down, down, down. Lol!!! I get pretty lazy when it comes to my hair. I do wish that I could whip up a gorgeous, elegant updo within 60 seconds, buuuut that requires a tutorial and a ton of patience, which is something I need to practice.

Haha yes. Everybody.

Nope! :)

I don't have the best on-the-spot memory, but I believe I've almost always worn it down (see question #1). I have belly button length hair now (an inch and a half, maybe two inches below waist on me). For me personally, having my hair down is my formal go-to 'do. It has to look combed through, of course, but I don't really think I've ever been too much of an updo person. :)

TrapperCreekD
November 30th, 2013, 07:04 PM
For an hour or so for drying on wash days; a few times a month for other occasions.
2. is wearing hair up or down your preference (not what you actually do, what you wish you could)?
Definitely down, I prefer the way I look with it down. With my lifestyle my hair would be a tangly, hay-filled rat's nest and constantly in the way if I didn't put it up.
Most people only see me with my hair up, only family and some friends have seen it down.
Not really.
5. did you tend tend to wear it down a lot more until it hit a certain length, or did you always wear up?
I've pretty much always worn it up.
Little bit of both.
For me, styled is up because it requires more effort than wearing it down. I don't use heat, i.e., straighten or curl to wear down, just shake it out, finger comb a little and maybe spritz a little water and condish on it, and done.

It depends on the occasion; I might wear it up but I usually wear my hair down or half up for dates and special events since I *do* wear my hair up the rest of the time.

anitacs9101
December 1st, 2013, 12:44 AM
I wash on Friday, then I wear it down to dry, and on Saturday and Sunday if I go out. Besides that my hair is always either in a ponytail, a braid of some sort, or a ballet bun on class days :p
For looks? Down, or a ponytail/braid is when I feel I look the best. But for comfort I love the "no hair" feeling of having my hair up, like it's totally out of the way. However I hate the look of it most of the time, sooo :p I really wanted to like buns, but to me they are just so boring...and if I just dealt with that and wore it up all the time, I would definitely be itching to cut. Wearing my hair down more and in ponies and braids allows me to enjoy my hair.
Yes.
Not frequently. :)
I think I used to wear it up more when I was BSL actually. I think my usual style was a cinnabun with spin pins but I'm not sure. I actually liked buns at that time lol. And as I recall I wore it up in a hairstick bun ost days but Friday for a while too, but that died off.
Hahaha :) yes I admit I have done that before ahaha. And every time without fail someone says, "Wow, you're hair is so long!" and I feel all special.

Down, definitely.
I wear it down if I go out on the weekend when it's washed, but I won't wash my hair during the week for the same occasion. The only time I'll wash on a day that isn't Friday is if it's a big holiday with family (Thanksgiving, Christmas) or something like that.

dianahottie
December 19th, 2013, 06:20 AM
Not often, when I meet new people or have to go some where real fast and want to look nice, but I don't get out much so pretty much only in the shower lol

Its always up but I wish I could wear it down, its just so fine it looks messy so fast :(

ALL of them have seen it down, I am proud of my hair :)

ALL the time, they can't understand how hard it is to keep long fine hair looking good for longer then 10 mins when down lol

When I was younger untill I was about 19 I never wore it up and its been long for years, I hid behind my hair, In fact, I wear it down when I meet new people I think because I am still doing that.

LOL I love when I go to a beauty school for trims, I have it up and they ask what I would like done, I say just a trim please and release my hair from my clip and have it fall to my waist and they look at me like WHOA. HEHE yup a secret thrill

Same here down is styled and up is casual until I learn new tricks with updos

ErinLeigh
December 19th, 2013, 01:36 PM
These are all such great replies. Thank you all for posting.

Cheyne
December 19th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Less than 10 times a year if I am leaving my home. I do leave it down to air dry after washing.

For looks I love it down, makes me look years younger. For practicality, I have to wear it up.

No. In fact, most people I know think I'm of a strange religious sect that never wears their hair down. I am not joking about this-one of my co-workers asked me about it recently.

No, that may be because I wear it in a bun outside so no one knows how long it really is.

I've worn my hair up since it was able to go up.

I'm incognito. At 51, most people would just tell me to cut my hair :rolleyes:

Down is "styled", up is everyday hair.

Date nights with my husband, when we are going out for an expensive dinner or a night at the casino, I will wear it down, taking the time to curl and style it. My DH adores my hair down, so it makes our date really special.

pennyroyal
December 19th, 2013, 08:18 PM
I didn't wear my hair down for over a year, since it was long enough to be worn up/back actually.
But as of late I have been wearing it down once in awhile & I have gotten a lot of surprised comments about how long my hair is, which is really nice. :)
I wear it up most of the time tho.

Fairlight63
December 20th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Re: How often do you wear you hair down?

I NEVER wear it down when out & about. The closest it gets to down is a side braid.

I would like to wear it down but my hair is too flighty & tangle prone so I put it in a side braid to control it.

No. My DH saw my hair down after I washed it & was detanglying it & he was surprised that it was so long (he does not like long hair, so that is why I wear it up)

No, that may be because I always wear it in a bun so no one knows how long it really is.

5. did you tend to wear it down a lot more until it hit a certain length, or did you always wear up.
I've worn my hair down to church when at BSL but after that length it got kind of thin & floaty & looked better in a side braid. It is also better protected in a side braid.

I'm incognito. At 68, most people would tell me to cut my hair.

UP is "styled", I wear my hair up all of the time. My hair is only down when I am detangling, washing, etc. it

I guess I would wear it down for a SPECIAL date.

AmyBeth
December 20th, 2013, 12:25 PM
1. how often everyone wears their hair down. Almost never, except at home waiting for it to dry after a shampoo.
2. is wearing hair up or down your preference (not what you actually do, what you wish you could) Well, I do think it's pretty down, but if I wore it down all the time, it would get so damaged that it wouldn't look nice anymore.
3. have most people you know actually seen your hair down? Hardly anyone.
4. do people make comments to you about the fact that it is always up, or suggest taking it down? Never.I don't know, people around me seem to mind their own business.
5. did you tend tend to wear it down a lot more until it hit a certain length, or did you always wear up. Once I decided to grow it to terminal, it went up and there it stayed.

6. Do any of you get a secret thrill taking your bun down in front of someone and showing off your length, or do you prefer the incognito feel of having long hair but no one knows what is hiding in that bun? (I would think I would find "excuses" to rebun and show it off ) My hair is so unimpressive that it would be no thrill for anyone. I think people's reaction would be "Is that all?"

7. Do you consider "up" or "down" to be your "styled" hair. (To me down is styled and up is casual - but that may change as it grows and I learn updos) When I want to feel especially "dressed up", I wear it down. Although I'm learning more updos that make me feel very elegant, too.

For shorter haired people an updo is their "special style." Is it the opposite when hair is long and you always wear it up? Does Down become your "formal look." In the past 2 1/2 years, the only time I felt the occasion was special enough to expose my hair to the hazards of wearing it down was my daughter's wedding. I washed it in the morning, oiled it with EVOO, let it dry about 85% then wore it up for the rest of the day. About 10 minutes before the wedding, I let it down, fingercombed and voila. Lovely bouncy bun waves.

No one ever really comments on my hair, whether it is up or down. I really wouldn't care anyway. My hair is for me, it's not a public service endeavor.

Flournoy
December 22nd, 2013, 04:26 PM
[QUOTE=ErinLeigh;2567567]I am very curious about a few thing.
almost never.
i really prefer it tied back for comfort, convenience, and looks as well.
Me actually wearing it down? No. Other than occasionally at home its up and only comes down when I am fixing my hair.
No. but as a guy i think wearing it back all the time is just as accepted as wearing it down all the time.
since I first started to be able I have mostly worn it tied back.
Well since wear it in a ponytail they know how long it is and not really regardless.
Up is styled for sure.
Well formal is just a low ponytail for me. Something special would be a variation on that I suppose. I don't like my hair down so not that, but eventually maybe a braid or something would be for unique things.

evelyynnagy
August 25th, 2017, 03:46 AM
I always wear it up in a bun or braid it. I leave it down when its drying or I want to make a length shot :)

I really love wearing it up :)

Not really, of course my family and my boyfriend can see it. I have a hair account on instagram and sometimes I put length shots on it, but mostly bun kind of hairstyles :D

Its only happened once but I did not really care xd

Until it was shorter than waist I wore it down more often

I'm more of an incognito in every day life. But as I said before I post length shots, so a little group of people can see my hair down :)

Down is "styled", up is everyday hair.

Wash days :D I wear it down on special event like proms or dates

school of fish
August 25th, 2017, 05:15 AM
Zombie thread, but I'll still play ;) Answers in bold.

Pretty much every day. Hair only goes up when I'm doing something where it would be unwise to keep it down, like renovations or working with open flame.

It's my preference and it's what I actually do.

Yes - pretty much anyone who has ever seen me has seen my hair down.*

They have no reason to, haha!

5. did you tend tend to wear it down a lot more until it hit a certain length, or did you always wear up
Funnily enough, when it was shorter I used to wear it up more! My hair is very fine and floaty - added length has meant added weight, so my hair is generally less flyaway now than when it was shorter, so easier to manage.

Neither exactly... bun drops don't often happen since it's already down, and incognito doesn't really happen since it's already down, hahaha!

Styled is styled for me, whether up or down. So - when I wear it my usual everyday loose it's not styled, but when I curl it for performance it's styled. If I throw it up in a fast nautilus before doing heavy gardening it's not styled, but if I deliberately make an updo that I intend to look a certain way and last through an event it's styled.

8. For those who almost always wear it up, what lends the to occasion for wearing it down? date, special event, holidays?*
I guess for me the occasion would dictate whether my hair would be up or down - if I was going to a wedding where I knew every woman would have her hair in an elaborate updo I'd be more inclined to do one myself. But since there aren't a lot of those types of events in my life, I just stick with wearing it down but 'styled'.

unheardletters
August 25th, 2017, 06:35 AM

I only wear my hair down when it is drying, and even then I usually put it up while still wet and let it dry overnight instead because hair touching my face and neck makes me crazy. Wearing my hair down is hard for me because it always falls in my face.

I would love to be able to wear it down, but I just cannot cope with it. I've tried for decades and I cannot do it.

Yes. I have 3 very young kids and I am always carrying at least 1 of them, so they do tend to pull out a hairstick quite often.

So far no. I believe because of my having a baby and toddlers that they recognize that wearing my hair up is probably best. So I don't get hair yanked out.

I only wore it down until it was long enough to mostly be up in a ponytail. Probably around chin length. So from pixie to about chin length it was down.

No secret thrill, at least not yet. If I could keep it hidden I would, but my kids love to reveal my hair (they just want the hairstick), but it is not very long yet so maybe when it is longer I could feel differently about showing it off.

Up is how my hair is always. So styled and casual are both up.

8. For those who almost always wear it up, what lends the to occasion for wearing it down? date, special event, holidays? For shorter haired people an updo is their "special style." Is it the opposite when hair is long and you always wear it up? Does Down become your "formal look."

Down is just a dream style to me. I cannot cope with it, so it doesn't happen even for special events.

- Lizzy -
August 25th, 2017, 07:15 AM
I wear my hair down for at least 30 min. everyday just because it's one of my favorite ways to wear my hair, and I sometimes need a break from having it in braid or bun.

Dendra
August 25th, 2017, 11:15 AM
Only when it's drying. I may wear it down on special nights out, but that's maybe twice a year.

It is my preference. I find it elegant.

Yes, considering I've only been wearing it up every day for four months.

Not so far.

I used to wear it down every single day, even when it was BSL (longest it's ever been). It wasn't in great condition.

I'm definitely more of an incognito gal. I'm shy!

Good question. Probably up is styled, as I don't do anything to my hair when it's down, no straightening or styling of any kind.

Wash days or special events. Even on a special night out I imagine I'd put it up after a couple of hours as I feel constantly aware of damaging it now.

Ophidian
August 25th, 2017, 12:37 PM
Pretty much only when I am air-drying it (which takes several hours). I do leave it down for a while most evenings when I am sitting on the couch after I take out the day's updo but before I braid for the night.

Hmmmm.... I love the idea of having wild loose hair but I tend to save that for special occasions. I can't have it down at work, and honestly I like having it safe and out of the way most of the time.

No. I kind of like that actually.

Not really.

No, I started braiding it as soon as it was long enough to do double french braids (layered CBL). Before that I would twist it out of the way with claw clips or wear a headband.

My bun is far from thrilling at the moment (APL), but I look forward to being a stealth longhair :)

Same (down=styled, up=casual)

The right mood.

shelly123
August 25th, 2017, 12:39 PM
Everyday. Usually when I'm out of work I let my hair free.

I prefer down, but I think up makes it a bit more classy.

Yes.

No.

When I had shorter hair I did. Kinda obvious I guess since you couldn't real

Not yet.

I would love to do some half updo at some point. I think that's the best of both worlds.

lithostoic
August 25th, 2017, 01:01 PM
Rarely. Unless I'm doing a length check or hairtyping, it goes straight into a braid after washing and gets rebraided daily.

I wear it up and enjoy wearing it up. My hair likes to attack my face when it's down.

Most people I know are family, so yes. The only ones who haven't seen it down are co-workers.

Nobody cares about my hair except me

I wore it down a lot more until I reached BSL.

I don't care. My hair isn't to impress anyone.

Up. I have straight hair, so if I'm wearing it down it's just brushed.

I wear it down if It's behaving nicely and my back hurts too much to put it up. I do wear half-ups sometimes, when I want to look nice.

pandaegg
August 25th, 2017, 03:57 PM

pretty often, maybe 40-50 percent of the time

i like both, but i find wearing it up more fun

yes

not really

i used to never really put it up until around a year ago, but not for length related reasons, i just didn't know any good ways to wear it up

i don't see it as much of a secret, because it's not extraordinarily long and i often leave it down

i see up as styled and down as casual

Rebeccalaurenxx
August 25th, 2017, 05:40 PM
Probably 20% of the week. I keep it up at work but the rest of the time I like it down.

Andthetalltrees
August 25th, 2017, 07:58 PM
Almost always, It's just how I feel the most comfortable. Sometimes I'll put it in a half up, english or dutch braids if it really needs to be out of the way, but otherwise it's always down and loose

hayheadsbird
August 26th, 2017, 01:24 AM
Up during the day in a bun, down from drying and sleep.

I really love wearing it up, and I like having it down as well!

Not really, it's up if I'm out of the house, so only if I redo a bun.

No

Pre Apl about half and half. Apl on up.

No one really noticed either way!

Up is everyday but styled. Styling it down would be pointless for me

Wash days :D and the occasional half up, life is easier if it's up though, o don't have to worry about it catching on stuff.

daywalker
August 27th, 2017, 02:43 PM
I work in an office, so I wear mine down 5 days a week for about 12 hours a day.

I prefer mine to be down as my scalp is very sensitive and hurts if I wear an updo.

Yes

No because it's usually down. I've actually been told it looks better "up and out of my face"!

I've never been longer than waist length but I always preferred it down after it hit shoulder length. To me short/medium hair gets in my face too much so that I have curly Medusa tendrils poking my eyes!

I really don't care what people think about my bun or lack of bun...

To me an updo is "styled" as it requires a ton of effort and it looks more "formal". Especially for work where the people consider curls "casual".

For me this is the opposite. Certain occasions require me to put my hair up, such as: cooking, *special* times with my spouse:eyebrows:, and yard work.

SnowDancer
August 28th, 2017, 07:44 AM
I wear it down as much as possible. I use a hairstick at work and at the gym. But once I'm out, that hairstick comes right out.

lisamt
August 28th, 2017, 08:31 AM
I usually wear it down about once or twice a week but I don't usually make it through the whole day with it down because it gets in the way. when it's up its usually but in some sort of braid because I like having my hair visible for myself

2. is wearing hair up or down your preference
I prefer down, it's like a security blanket for me. even when its "up" its usually in a braid.

most people haven't seen it fully down because when it's down it's in a half up.

not really. some people suggest different types of braids though

I wore it down everyday before hitting waist, when I decided I should learn cuter buns.

I love me a good dramatic bun drop

both is styled since I usually wear a half up with a small stick or a small fexi. I feel like down is fancier for me though

potsie
September 3rd, 2017, 08:35 PM
i have hip-length, curly hair and i wear my hair down only on special occasions since it tangles so easily!
this might seem weird but i feel like my hair is kind of an intimate thing to share with others, so i usually wear it up.
i rarely wear it down so no.
i get the occasional "you should wear your hair down more often!"
when it was sl-bsl, i would wear it down literally every day. i reached a certain point where i began wearing it up, but just because i wanted to change my style.

mira-chan
September 3rd, 2017, 08:59 PM
Just about never. I think I wore it down out of the house two times this past year, both were because my hair wasn't fully dry yet and it was just for a walk in my neighborhood.

I find it more comfortable up. I have no clue how to wear it down as I've never done it for more than a couple of hours in a day since it was long enough to tie up at about 7 years old.

Nope. Close family and friends have. Some of my coworkers have seen me fix a bun, same for people in my dance group. That's about it.

Not really. I've always wore it up. I tend to apparently put out a don't mess with me vibe apparently, it's useful in teaching. :D

I've had long hair since I started growing it at 6 years old. School rules required it to be up, plus mom didn't want it to tangle while I was out and being a kid so it was in braids all childhood. Then ponytails as a teen and buns from when I found LHC. I've never worn it down.

Depends. I very rarely have that urge but sometimes yes I do take it down for the reaction but that's usually after a hair related conversation. Otherwise I'm not usually even thinking about my hair when I'm out and about.

Considering I only do "up"... it's both? Because of school rules and spending lots of time with older people with older notions on hair, I grew up with the view and feeling that hair being down is messy and unkempt (it's not, but for me it feels wrong now) so up feels more "put together". I also don't use styling tools or products...

Erm... never? If it's wet and still need to dry, or something in the updo was pulling and need to let it down for a bit, that's all I can think of. At most I'll do a braid as a "down" way way of wearing my hair, usually when I know I won't be doing a lot where it will get in the way. Until my relatively recent significant trim back, I sat on the end of my braid so it was not too convenient either.

I wear it up for comfort and ease. I do wear it up if I want to look my best, it just varies how I put it up. I don't know if I would have had hair this long if I had to only wear it down. I have to wear it up for work anyway for safety, so it doesn't really matter how long as long as it can be pulled back so it doesn't fall forward. I wouldn't be able to wear it down most days anyway. I just like it longer for more updo options and the feel of it for myself.

Aredhel
September 3rd, 2017, 10:47 PM
Almost never. I wear it down once in a blue moon when I'm going out, which is about once every few months, lol. And as soon as I get home from said event, the hai

If I could leave it down without it getting caught in everything, tangled, in my way, and damaged... I would. :p

Yup.

People at work do.

I started wearing it up all the time after I passed hip.

Not at all, most people already know how long it is... I've always been known amongst social groups for having very long hair.

Down is my "special occasion" hair.

Mostly concerts and dates.

I guess you could say that!

Do you love updos or is it more for protection and ease. Can you have really long hair and wear it down often enough? Do you wear it up even when you want to look "your best?"
I like them enough, but it's more for protection and comfort. Pretty hair toys make it more fun to wear my hair up, so that certainly helps. :) I usually wear it down when I want to look my best. I think the longer my hair gets, the less I will be able to just leave it out, even at special events.

I am starting to wonder if I grow hair, will I feel the need to wear it up anyway, thus starting to put my egghead out for public viewing?
Trust me lol, you get used to it. I always thought I looked really weird with my hair up, but now I think it looks normal... and it feels more "me" to have it up than down.

solocricket
September 4th, 2017, 12:11 AM

I rarely wear it down. Even when it was shorter-- I love messy buns to death.

I suppose I would like to be more comfortable wearing it down. I did more when I was in high school, but now it just feels like it gets in the way!

Yep!

Yes! Particularly my MIL-- I find it funny!

Always up, even above shoulder length. Even if I needed a million bobby pins.

My hair is only nearing BSL so there's no length really. But since I've rarely even had hair this long, I like showing it off a little.

Both would be styled. I would be more prone to having my hair down for a special occasion... but it'll still probably get tied back at some point.

Yup, special event.

Corvana
September 4th, 2017, 12:25 AM
It's still pretty short, so I wear it down probably 50% of the time.
I actually prefer it up!
Yep! But this might change as it gets longer.
Nope, because it's down so much lol.
I definitely think I'll hit a point where I won't wear it down nearly as much. Likely as soon as I can do a bun or two with a stick or fork.
I'd probably want to take it down to show it off :laugh:
I think it depends on the up or down do tbh. Some updos are more elaborate and what'd I'd consider "fancy", while some are more casual.

StephanieP3
September 4th, 2017, 07:19 AM
If I'm at home relaxing or it's cold out (not often in Florida) it's down. I'm fat and live in Florida so it's hot a lot so if I'm moving around it's up!

I'd love to have my hair down all the time but it's not practical.

I think so? Even at work every once and a while I have it down for a little bit.

Not really.

My length doesn't really determine when I wear it up or down. It's all about keeping cool here!

I don't have long enough hair yet for it to be shocking to reveal lol.

For me styled is either gelled and wavy or brushed and clipped specifically to look nice. I'm usually casually up or down though!

TatsuOni
September 4th, 2017, 07:48 AM
1-4 times a year.

Up. If it's down it's just in the way and tangles, so that's more for special occasions.

Sure. But except for SO who sees me everyday and friends who sees my hair pics online others pretty much get to see it down once a year and it's always longer than the year before :p

Well kinda. SO loves when I wear it down and my FIL made a comment on how much better it looked down, but that's it and doesn't bother me.

I've worn it up most days since it got long enough to wear up.

Depends on who it is. It's fun to show it of in front of friends who share my interest in hair and have been a part of my journey since the start ten years ago.

Well. Styled for me is when I've actually done something to my hair, like braids or a bun. So it can be causally styled or more interesting styled. But down is just down.

Special events.

Komao
September 4th, 2017, 07:50 AM
My hair is now a little past classic length. I wear it up and don't feel I could wear it down without getting tangles. My goal was thigh length. Just recently been rethinking this. I might go back to waist length as I could wear it down. I can't do french braid well now as it tangles and it's really beginning to be a pain for me. I'll wait a little longer to make decision but just felt I could do so much more at WL and wear it down more which I always enjoyed. Wish me luck on making a good decision that I'll be happy with.

Pumpkin3826
October 8th, 2018, 01:32 PM
I normally wear my hair up in a bun with a flexi but lately I have been getting headaches so I will wear it down those days. Until my subconscious tells me I am doing something bad by wearing it down, all the "damage" and such nots.. then it goes back up on workdays. On the weekends I will keep in down mostly.
I prefer the way I look with my hair up, It just gives a more polished look especially in a low bun.
Now that I have worn it down due to headaches, all my co workers have seen it down.
I normally pin back my bangs/face framing bits but the other day I left them down and tucked them behind my ear to try to see if that helped with my headaches, and a co worker told me I look less harsh.. :confused:
5. did you tend to wear it down a lot more until it hit a certain length, or did you always wear up.
I wore it down a lot until about waist length then it went up into a lazy wrap bun everyday.

Oh my gosh I am so guilty of this. shudder: I like to keep it my little secret but then every once in while I just like to wear it down and show off all my hard work. I am currently working on this.. Haha.

Good question.. I think up for me Up is my styled hair since I wear it in buns and they tend to look fancy and like you put some work in, down looks casual for me.

I wear it down on the holidays. A lot of my family I don't see to often except for holidays so it is fun for me to get to wear it down and hear their comments about how long it has gotten.. but then I almost become addicted to those "Oh my gosh your hair is so long" that when I don't get them I get a little sad.. I am also working on this. Haha.

I always wondered that when I started growing. Why have long hair if you don't wear it down? But I totally get it now that I have TBL hair. It gets stuck under bags, in coats, and is just a pain to wear down during the hustle and bustle of everyday life. But I want to be able to have long hair to wear down when I am at home and can just enjoy it flowing and blowing in the wind. I think of it like a tattoo, you don't get a tattoo to show off to the world sometimes you get a tattoo so just you know it is there and it makes you happy to have.

Ylva
October 8th, 2018, 01:54 PM
On a daily basis. For example, I sleep with my hair down.

I would love to wear my hair down, but it's not realistic for me anymore at this length and the condition of my ends. They need all the protection I can give them.

Yes, unless they are ones I always meet outside the house.

No.

I always had my hair braided until I reached BCL. I significantly reduced braid time, as it contributed to me getting split ends. I don't remember when I last wore my hair loose more than anything else.

I become somewhat of a scaredycat the more I hear about random attacks and the such, so having incognito long hair feels safer to me and like I blend in and have a lesser chance to be targeted by some weirdo who randomly cuts people's hair. I live in a very safe country, but occasionally I get a good reminder of what kind of crazy people are out there! In some situations, sure, it's fun to "impress" people with the length of my hair.

To me, down is still casual, as it's the default state of my hair, for example when I sleep. I don't really do anything to it other than brush it when it's down. A regular English braid I also don't count as stylish, but any more special braid I do. Certain updos, like when I just contain my hair somehow when feeding the dogs, is also casual.

8. For those who almost always wear it up, what lends the to occasion for wearing it down? date, special event, holidays? For shorter haired people an updo is their "special style." Is it the opposite when hair is long and you always wear it up? Does Down become your "formal look."
When I don't do anything that could cause it to tangle or take damage. Having my hair down is definitely not my formal look, but it could be just the thing to do at some events, if it fits the big picture.

Wendyclaire
October 8th, 2018, 03:25 PM
Never wear it up. I got in a little trouble on another thread with my dislike for buns and the hair up look. For me (I’m 64) it makes me look like an old lady. I only put in a pt at night so I can sleep. Yeah, I’m one of those, why have long hair if it’s all up in a bun all the time!!

lapushka
October 8th, 2018, 03:30 PM
Never wear it up. I got in a little trouble on another thread with my dislike for buns and the hair up look. For me (I’m 64) it makes me look like an old lady. I only put in a pt at night so I can sleep. Yeah, I’m one of those, why have long hair if it’s all up in a bun all the time!!

That's of course your personal preference, but here a lot of people wear updos like braids, and sometimes very intricate lovely buns. You can always wear an accent braid, or braids and then bun, maybe that will "loosen" the look and not make it so sleek.

Wendyclaire
October 8th, 2018, 04:52 PM
Good ideas but not for me. it'd not a good look for me to have my hair out of my face. Anyone else, go for it if you like it!!

blesseddamozel
October 8th, 2018, 06:54 PM
Maybe 3-5 times a month give or take?
I do like the look of my hair down but it is kind of a hassle. My hair isn't super long (especially by LHC standards :p ) but it's thick and fluffy so if I have it down for a while it can get pretty tangled.
In my personal life yes, but at my old job I remembered the first time I wore my hair down I got some pretty dramatic reactions....mainly asking how I got it so poofy. All natural baby!
Nope, not really
Before it hit shoulder length I wore it down all the time. At that length for me it was more annoying to try and put it up than just wear it down.

Corvana
October 8th, 2018, 08:43 PM
It's still pretty short, so I wear it down probably 50% of the time.
I actually prefer it up!
Yep! But this might change as it gets longer.
Nope, because it's down so much lol.
I definitely think I'll hit a point where I won't wear it down nearly as much. Likely as soon as I can do a bun or two with a stick or fork.
I'd probably want to take it down to show it off :laugh:
I think it depends on the up or down do tbh. Some updos are more elaborate and what'd I'd consider "fancy", while some are more casual.

It's been a year since I last did this! Let's see how my answers have changed :3

I wear it down now maybe 20-25% of the time, outside of it drying from a wash. I take it down maybe a couple hours before bed, and that's when I'll put some stuff in it (my ends my eeeennnddsss! They need ultra pampering lately). I also sleep with it down!
I still prefer it up! Long hair gets in the way, lol.
Not lately, no. My husband, sure, and my son of course. But if I'm leaving the house it's up!
Not yet! And I don't know if anyone will? It never really happened the last time I had long hair, either.
Once I hit about APL I was able to wear it up with much more comfort, so that's when I stopped leaving it down so much. It was nice! Creeping up to APL I wore it down less and less, but it took until right about there for me to stop getting headaches due to buns being too tight still.
Right now, I don't care too much. If I do want to take my hair down, it's more to show how cool it is that I put it up with a single stick.
Still depends on the 'do! When my hair is down most of the time, it's casual. And when it's up most of the time, it's casual! I only consider it "styled" if I put more than a minute's effort into it :laugh:
It might sometimes. But like I said in the last one, it really just depends! But this may change as I gain length, as well.
I dislike that question because it sort of makes it seem like having your hair down is the only "right" way to have it. I've always preferred to have my hair up and out of my way, or bare minimum long enough that I can tuck the front behind my ears. In the past I liked long hair in a sort of passive sense. It was nice to have if I wanted to do something "special" with it on a rare occasion. When I had very short hair, I liked it because it was easy and rarely in the way. And now that I'm growing it out again, I want it long so that it's long and so I can do pretty buns. Sure I like it down sometimes and I like to play with it and feel it on my back or whatever, but the main reason I want it longer is for cool buns and hairtoys!

shaluwm_agape
October 8th, 2018, 09:04 PM
I wear my hair down often because I seldom leave my home but also because it's only at bsl & still difficult to wear buns for me. But will be braided more often now that it's getting cooler and because I feel only my husband should see my hair

TwilightMermaid
October 8th, 2018, 09:11 PM
My hair is down almost everyday because my hair is too short to look good up. But I recently made my own hair sticks and can finally do a bun with one, so I will be excited to wear my hair up more often!

RottenMango
April 25th, 2019, 06:33 PM
Every time I shampoo it so every three days. I never wear it down on days I only condition it because I just feel as if it isn’t “clean” or “fresh”.

GrowinIt
April 25th, 2019, 06:43 PM
I wear it down all the time at home, but if I'm leaving the house, it has to go up in a pony tail or half up at least, otherwise the wind is just going to blow it all over the place and it gets in my face. My hair is pretty poofy so will not behave itself if all down.

Orihara
April 25th, 2019, 07:23 PM
I wear my hair down every day and prefer it down. However, I'd like to learn how to do some nice styles with it up. I'm just not very good at them so just wear it down.

SurprisingWoman
April 25th, 2019, 08:28 PM
I wear my hair down a lot. I like having it down so if I am going to out and about I will try to wear it down but I always have a hair stick or fork handy.

If I am at home it is almost always up so I don't have to put it up and down while I am cleaning or cooking. Loose hair doesn't belong in my kitchen and you don't want to clean the cat box with hair this length if it's down!

I only wash every five days or so and if it's getting a bit iffy I will wear it up or if I am going to be in the heat or doing a lot of physical activity it's up, otherwise it's down.

Begemot
April 26th, 2019, 01:43 AM
- It's down when I dry it. Sometimes I sleep with my hair loose. I wear it loose majority of the day pretty rarely, maybe 1-3 times a month.
- I would wear my hair down more if it was bulletproof hair... But I prefer to keep it up to avoid damage.
- Most, yes.
- No.
- Last time my hair was long I preferred to wear it down. This time around I'm growing my short hair but I keep it up mostly, I plan to keep keeping it up as my hair grows.
- I didn't think about this last time my hair was long since my hair was usually down anyway.
- Both up and down can be styled or casual for me.
- Some special event or if I get scalp pain.

Totohoy
April 26th, 2019, 03:47 AM
Judging by all the mechanical damage... far too often. When I'm alone it's more or less always up in a bun secured with a clip, because I've got a bunch of pesky BSL hairs that always get in my face as soon as I lean forward just a little bit. In public, it's always down and loose. Unfortunately, pulling my hair back at all looks very unflattering on me, or feels too "tidy" and "not my style". I've yet to find a hairstyle that suits me and protects my hair. If anyone's got tips on witchy updos I'd love that <|:~)

bparnell75
April 26th, 2019, 12:31 PM
I've probably posted on this thread before. but, I only wear hair down to dry. I do secretly enjoy taking it down in front of others for two reasons: showing off how long and promoting hair toys. I like to keep a stick or two in my purse for giving away. I can do quite a few buns well and enjoy the variety. Spock bun, Nessa bun, Double lazy wrap, Posh Bun, Celtic Knot, Flip bun, Lately I've even done a cinnabun and held it with spin pins,,,

Groovy Granny
April 26th, 2019, 03:10 PM
I thought I had posted in here, but it must have been in another/similar thread :hmm:

Anyway ;)

I wear it 'down' quite often actually; I love the feel of it on my back, especially in cool/cold seasons, and want the versatility of doing all styles at a longer length :heart:

That said, actually 1/2 is almost always up because my front silver/white is like cobwebs in my face if it is not contained :slap:and that is even when air drying!

Ponytails with scrunchies/no damage ties, barrettes, flexis etc is another frequent choice when even more hair needs to be contained.

When doing chores or wearing hoods/hats it is up in a bun for protection; in hot weather I cannot stand it on my neck/back so it is in a bun then ;)

ETA: I forgot to mention my twin sleep braids ;)

Cg
April 26th, 2019, 03:37 PM
I don't like hair in my face, so other than to dry once a week, it's always bunned. Anyway at FTL+ it's too long to leave loose. I do like to see well-kept long swinging hair on others.

Servana
April 26th, 2019, 07:51 PM
I look hideous with my hair up so it's been down every day of my life! Currently brushing waist and the longest I've been is hip+.

Servana
April 26th, 2019, 07:54 PM
Judging by all the mechanical damage... far too often. When I'm alone it's more or less always up in a bun secured with a clip, because I've got a bunch of pesky BSL hairs that always get in my face as soon as I lean forward just a little bit. In public, it's always down and loose. Unfortunately, pulling my hair back at all looks very unflattering on me, or feels too "tidy" and "not my style". I've yet to find a hairstyle that suits me and protects my hair. If anyone's got tips on witchy updos I'd love that <|:~)

Oooh I know what you mean
How about up in a claw clip but with some loose pieces around the face? That's a very nice witchy look!

Ylva
April 26th, 2019, 07:55 PM
I've worn my hair down for the past almost a month now. It's always in a braid when I leave the house, though, and mostly in a braid in the house, too. In the past, I never wore buns but grew my hair long, so I know it can take it. It's not ideal, but it'll be okay. I hope I'll get back into the habit of wearing my hair in a bun sometime soon, at least occasionally, but right now I just don't feel like it. I don't know why.

Charlotta64
April 27th, 2019, 06:36 AM
Hardly any more.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 27th, 2019, 07:05 AM
Maybe once or twice a year....:)

Cate36
April 27th, 2019, 07:35 PM
I wear my hair down every day.. I personally think that it is better for my hair not to be tied or pulled back.. if I do ever tie it, I do in a low pony, with a very loose band, which I re do if the band starts to slip out.... but is rare I do that..

Ophidian
April 27th, 2019, 08:16 PM
Mine is always up during the day, braided at night. I like being a stealth longhair :).

ExpectoPatronum
April 27th, 2019, 09:30 PM
I'd say 2-4 times a week I wear my hair down. It depends on wash day and what I'm doing the next day.