PDA

View Full Version : About How Long Does it Take You To Style Your Hair Everyday?

openeyeddreamer
November 16th, 2013, 09:41 PM
It takes me around 20-30 minutes, not because my hair is long, but due to it being frizzy..that, and flyaways..ugh..lol :)

Islandgrrl
November 16th, 2013, 10:13 PM
About two minutes. Seriously. I get up, shake it out, untangle it a little and stuff it up in a bun. I just timed myself, too. :silly:

Magalo
November 16th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Maybe 5 min? I blow-dry my bangs and use my straight iron to slightly curl them under. Then I bun or braid the length.

DweamGoiL
November 16th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Most days 2 or 3 minutes to detangle and spray and go. When I feel like something fancy, it may take between 5-10 minutes to do a fancy bun, some braids, or to decide on a good hair toy.

0xalis
November 16th, 2013, 11:32 PM
Less than 5 minutes unless I'm wearing a wig.

Flor
November 17th, 2013, 12:05 AM
Anywhere from 1 minute to 10. If my hair is clean, then wearing it loose doesn't take any preparations at all. Braids always work from the first try, but take longer, especially Dutch, because I'm new to it. Buns sometimes are spot on and other times need redoing, hens taking longer, making me angry and me deciding to go for a braid after all LOL

Sillage
November 17th, 2013, 01:25 AM
Not long at all if I'm wearing a Ficcare. All I need to do is brush my hair out, put it in a bun, and stick in the Ficcare... so maybe a minute or two. If I do a bun without it, using pins instead, it takes longer, maybe 5 minutes. Same thing if I'm using a stick (I normally need to watch a YouTube video to get it right). A Gibson tuck takes under ten. More complicated styles take longer but I rarely spend more than 20 to 30 minutes on my hair.

bananahanna
November 17th, 2013, 01:31 AM
currently it takes no time at all because I don't style it right now. if I do anything to it, it can take up to eight minutes.

catasa
November 17th, 2013, 01:54 AM
Hmm, if it is a wash day/wearing hair down day I blow-dry on cool for about 10 minutes after wash, then let it be as much as possible until completely dry, then shake it out and it is ready (I wash every second day and can only wear it down on wash day due to waves gone to, well, frizziness?/non-existent but still non-straight state? the other day). If wear-hair-up day, just put it up in a bun. So how does that count? No styling at all, or from 1 minute for bunning to 10 minutes for blow-drying? :)

restless
November 17th, 2013, 02:15 AM
Hm... a minute or two? I usually wear my hair down now when Im a student and most days I just pin up my bangs or make a small braid in them. My hair really doesnt require much work nowadays anyway; I wash it every evening and then let it airdry (only takes an hour for my fine hair). To get some volume I braid my hair once its dry and when I let it loose it got nice waves in it. Thats it for styling.

Tota
November 17th, 2013, 02:51 AM
Less than 5 minutes. I brush it with TT and put it in a lazywrap bun.

Johannah
November 17th, 2013, 03:16 AM
5 min. Brush it and do a bun.

FoxyGhost
November 17th, 2013, 03:21 AM
Anywhere from 1 minute to 10 or so depending on difficulty of style. If I need to detangle it could tack on 20-30 minutes.

Tini'sNewHair
November 17th, 2013, 04:24 AM
Pretty fast here to, if i need to hurry i can do it under a minute but if i have more time i usualy spend more just taking my time to brush and admire :p

Suze2012
November 17th, 2013, 04:27 AM
A couple of minutes to blow dry the fringe.as I prefer it straight.
On a lazy day I just run the straightener over it once when it's dry..so..two seconds.

The rest of it..maybe another 2 minutes..just to scrunch a bit of the wetness out, scrunch some curl creme in and then a quick spray of glycerin & rosewater.

It's long and curly so doesn't need much styling at all.

NataschaB.
November 17th, 2013, 05:42 AM
It takes like.. 10 seconds I think. I make a cinnabun and then secure it with an octopus clip :D

Heni
November 17th, 2013, 05:43 AM
Me too, a minute or two.. quick fingercombing and some kind of bun, I dont like doing things with it that takes more than 3 mins, I get impatient easily :p

XcaliburGirl
November 17th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Probably 1-2 minutes. I take down my towel twist, comb (it's already been detangled in the shower), and bun or ponytail. The 2 minutes is for those off days where it takes a couple of attempts, or when I want to pin my bangs back.

I rarely wear my hair down but when I do, I put aloe gel in it in the shower, then I just gently take the towel off and comb my bangs. I don't really style it, just let it air dry.

vikavegan_fr
November 17th, 2013, 06:06 AM
More time for brushing and then braid or bun - about 5-8 mins in total :) If I don't brush, then its just less than 1 min.

CurlyMopTop
November 17th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Usually about 5 minutes. Maybe longer on wash days because my hair is more tangled. I spend more time with my TT than I do on styling. It only takes 15 seconds to bun, maybe up to 2 minutes to braid depending on what kind of braid I'm doing. If it's a new bun or braid it might take longer. If I'm wearing it down I just TT any leave ins through my hair and leave it alone until it drys. Then I run the TT through it once more to break up the clumps.

Night_Kitten
November 17th, 2013, 06:26 AM
For me it's usually around 5 minutes, most of which are spent on carefully combing... Unless I decide to do some different style than usual, then it can take up to 10-15 minutes (especially if it doesn't turn out right on the first try or I get confused and mess it up, lol)

Misao
November 17th, 2013, 06:41 AM
No matter the style I do, always is an easy one, wear it loose, a pony tail, 2 bobby pins... 5 minutes max. Sometimes finger combing.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 17th, 2013, 07:25 AM
For me it's usually around 5 minutes, most of which are spent on carefully combing... Unless I decide to do some different style than usual, then it can take up to 10-15 minutes (especially if it doesn't turn out right on the first try or I get confused and mess it up, lol)

Likewise. And I get to listen to my short haired sister tell me how difficult and time consuming long hair is to look after and how she would never have time for it herself - she who has to go to the hair salon every week to have hers washed and set and regularly dyed....

embee
November 17th, 2013, 08:13 AM
A couple of minutes.
Take down the night-bun and detangle (very quick, that is).
Create the day-bun (usually a single stick variety), and go. :)

Love love love this! When I remember short hair, uuuuh, all that washing every day, drying, combing and hoping. And it never looked nice for more than a minute either. And with this stick straight hair it cost a fortune in trims to keep presentable.

KellieMai
November 17th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Including detangling probably less than two minutes. for an average day at college I generally wear a nautalis or keltic knot bun both of which are very fast and comfortable. Plus since I wear a satin sleep cap I no longer get many tangles while sleeping.

nuvola
November 17th, 2013, 08:50 AM
It depends between 1 Min (bun) and 5 Min (some braids)

Rio040113
November 17th, 2013, 09:21 AM
My day to day bun (or braid) takes a minute or 2. If I'm wearing it down it depends, straight takes 10 minutes or less, I just blow dry my bangs :) curly takes overnight (sleep in flexi rods).

patienceneeded
November 17th, 2013, 09:26 AM
5 minutes on average. I could see taking longer if I was doing something braided or intricate, but most buns and most braids are pretty fast... Honestly, the thing that takes the most time is getting my chin-length growing-out bangs out of the way somehow. TBH, I'm usually pressed for time in the mornings getting myself ready for work and DD ready for 1st grade. My hair is the last thing I do...at that point I usually only HAVE 5 minutes until I need to leave. So, I make it quick.

Chromis
November 17th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Between five to ten minutes depending on how I am putting it up. Half of that time is just undoing my nightly braid though!

melesine
November 17th, 2013, 10:23 AM
a minute maybe. comb, put up or braid, done.

Anje
November 17th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Maybe 5 minutes if I'm combing it out and putting it in a braid. Less than that if it's just getting bunned.

OP: "Frizzy" isn't a trait of 1a hair. I think you're actually a wavy and haven't realized it.

Majormiles
November 17th, 2013, 10:32 AM
If I know what style (eg bun) three minutes tops. If I can't decide and/or I can feel it pulling or it's uncomfortable I faff for about ten tops.

Skuld
November 17th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Maybe 3 minutes? I usually just detangle it and braid it. If I'm wearing it loose, it probably takes about 30 seconds.

HintOfMint
November 17th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Depends on my starting point. If it's after a wash, then towel drying, applying product and letting it dry a tad before putting it into a bun takes about 20 minutes. If it's in the morning, I had my hair in a bun, and I plan on wearing it loose that day, it takes 5 seconds which is just me letting my hair down. If it's the morning and I've slept with it loose, then 10 minutes to detangle.

browneyedsusan
November 17th, 2013, 11:26 AM
I'm with Anje. You're probably a "wavy". (My hair has never frizzed in it's life. It either lays flat against my head, or pokes straight out of buns and updos.) Air dry your hair without touching it, and see what it looks like! I'll bet it's gorgeous!

It depends on how I'm fixing it. Down = brush it out. Updos vary, depending on how complicated they are. I can make a LWB faster than a ponytail, but a 40's pinup look can take me 20 minutes to get the rolls looking decent.

jeanniet
November 17th, 2013, 02:38 PM
A couple of minutes. I pull off my silk bonnet, shake, and fluff a little. One morning when I was rushed I almost forgot to take off the bonnet, haha.

Crumpet
November 17th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Usually just a minute or two -- I stick it up in simple buns with a hairstick, ficcare, or flexi-8. I'm trying to learn some new buns now though!

Hootenanny
November 17th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Probably 1-2 minutes, but I've never really timed it. I just pull off my bonnet and/or undo my sleep braids, shake it out, then bun it quickly. (It would take significantly longer if I were wearing it down, though, since I would have to refresh my curls.)

Misschilly
November 18th, 2013, 09:24 AM
More time for brushing and then braid or bun - about 5-8 mins in total :) If I don't brush, then its just less than 1 min.

this is me to!=)

bunzfan
November 18th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Probably 5 mins if its a simple braid or bun like the nautilus.

melusine963
November 18th, 2013, 09:34 AM
I'm supremely lazy, so none of my go-to hairstyles take more than about 30 seconds to create. Any more than that, and the style is relegated for special occasions. All in all, it takes me about three minutes every morning to unbraid my TBL hair, detangle, and style for the day.

neko_kawaii
November 18th, 2013, 09:42 AM
1 minute and 23 seconds just now to take out the sleep braid, comb, clean the comb and floor of loose hairs, put hair up with a stick, put all the tools away and put the glasses back on. Braids take longer.

meteor
November 18th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Usually just a minute or two: undo the braid, sometimes detangle, sometimes just smooth the canopy with a comb, and bun it.

But if I've just washed my hair, it takes about an hour or two to dry and detangle, so I often just damp-bun it.

I love how the longer hair gets, the easier it is to style. Even leaving it down is easier with longer hair: it looks styled even after a quick combing.

florenonite
November 18th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Depends on whether or not I've got a 9am class ;)

Lately I've been on a bit of a YouTube style vid kick, so on days I *don't* have to be up before the sun I might spend five or ten minutes on a new style. Most of the time, however, it's maybe a minute or two, to brush and do a simple bun or braid.

Zindell
November 18th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Not sure it can be called "styling" but...

2 to 3 minutes? While I gently brush it out with my Tangle Teezer.

Or some days 0 minutes if I'm in a rush and doesn't brush. (Yeah, I can get away with that. Guess my hair is very kind to me :o )

Stray_mind
November 18th, 2013, 10:32 AM
A few minutes. I get up,comb my hair and put it in a braid/bun/ponytail.. My hair is short, so i can't do much :)

breezefaerie
November 18th, 2013, 10:36 AM
5 or 10 minutes.
I blow dry my bangs with a round brush for a minute or two, take down my sleep bun, re-bun or braid and put back up.
Up to 10 minutes depending on what bun or braid I go with.

MAO
November 18th, 2013, 10:37 AM
My hair is also short.....I shower at night, so in the morning it usually just entails me wetting my hands and smoothing down the wild spots. A minute, perhaps?

maegalcarwen
November 18th, 2013, 01:10 PM
30 seconds, when I put in two bobby pins.

FuzzyBlackWaves
November 18th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Literally about 2 minutes. I just comb it out then braid it. Sorted.

chen bao jun
November 18th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Some days, no time, because I slept in a french crown braid with a scarf over it. Other days, 2-3 minutes because I took out the braids from the night before quickly and then twisted up and secured with either stick or ficcare.
When going out I may take 10 minutes or so to do a southern tease bun with something pretty attached to it, or a pretty side bun with curls hanging out on the side.
I really only spend more than 10 minutes nowadays on my hair on days that I wash it and do treatments (SMT) about once a week. I always braid after washing to stretch and the whole process may take an hour before bedtime.
I spend so much less time on my hair nowadays than I used to.

Red Rapunzel
November 18th, 2013, 03:23 PM
About one to two minutes: Comb it, shine it, put in low ponytail or quick, easy updo.

nobeltonya
November 18th, 2013, 03:28 PM
I generally just put it up in a braid or bun while it's wet, because I wash it in the morning.. this morning, however, I let it air dry loose. I also bought a styling gel [didn't realize that's what it was.. was looking for leave-in] to go with my shampoo and conditioner [Aussie Miraculously Smooth], which worked ok.. I need to adjust how much I'm using. But it doesn't take me more than 5-10 minutes [after showering] to apply leave-in, comb and style [braid/bun]. I don't have patience to spend more time than that.. :disco:

swearnsue
November 18th, 2013, 06:06 PM
I take about 10 minutes trying to get a hairstick to stay in, give up, recomb, and put it in a claw clip.

LauraLongLocks
November 18th, 2013, 06:46 PM
It takes about 2 minutes or less to do a bun. Braids and more intricate styles can take up to 10 minutes. I sometimes need to blow dry my bangs, but if that's the case, it takes 1 minute to do it.

ifoundxaway
November 18th, 2013, 08:37 PM
About 2 minutes or less unless I do a fishbone braid. I generally do a regular braid, a bun, or this twisted braid looking thing I do.

homefrontgirl
November 18th, 2013, 10:20 PM
2-3 minutes for a hair stick bun. I'm trying to do more than just my standard updo bun though. Since I'm out of practice, that takes 5-10 minutes.

Buddaphlyy
November 18th, 2013, 10:43 PM
I put braid extensions in about 2 weeks ago, so I just get out of bed. I occasionally take an extra 5-7 seconds to run my fingers through the braids if I suspect some of them might have tangled.

When I don't have extensions, it usually takes 2-3 minutes to spritz, oil, gel, and finger detangle.

endlessly
November 18th, 2013, 11:12 PM
Depending on the style, 2-30 minutes. Braiding is pretty quick and easy, as is a basic bun. The more intricate styles with dozens of braids, curls, etc. definitely take a little bit longer!

freesia
November 19th, 2013, 03:27 AM
endlessly you used the exact same words I had in mind to reply!

I totally agree, it depends on the intricacy of the hairstyle, ranging from a 2 minute bun/braid to a complicated 30 minute style.

CurlMonster
November 19th, 2013, 04:22 AM
I detangle and French braid my hair every night, so I spend no time in the mornings on my hair and about 15 before bed. :) I love long hair for its low-maintenance! Once in a blue moon I'll do something in the morning that I wouldn't sleep on (bun or crown braid), and that takes a bit longer.

Bagginslover
November 19th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Usually about 30 seconds. Whip off sleep cap, run through with brush, up into a bun. Literally that fast. Today though it was closer to 10 mins, as I decided to try out a style I'd had a dream about last night, involving both a french braid, and a lace braid, then bunned together-it turned out nicely :)

Tail Feathers
November 19th, 2013, 08:47 AM
i'd say about three minutes. i sleep in a braid,
and just undo it in the morning and comb through,
re-braid and bun and good to go !

another three minutes in the evening...
to take down the day's braided bun,
comb through and make a new braid to
sleep in...

all very simple !

jacqueline101
November 19th, 2013, 12:57 PM
On the days I wash and put it back up in a style five minutes roughly. I don't do my hair daily I do it monthly. I'm practicing benign neglect, I made my own braid style challenge,and I've been working on decluttering my life. I found decluttering to help with benign neglect.

Sharysa
November 19th, 2013, 01:13 PM
About ten to twenty minutes, depending on whether I do a normal braid or something complicated. And most of that is detangling because my hair is so thick.

Although with my hair's dislike of restraint, I end up more in the 15-20 minute range from redoing something.

Laura-Anne
November 19th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Usually only like a minute. I just put it up in a pencil bun (that is the only bun I can do at my length and thick hair). If I am doing something fancy, I'll spend maybe 10 minutes on it. That goes for putting it in rollers and doing a fancy bun. I hate doing my hair so I just choose to do really easy things that are still cute.

hairconvictions
November 19th, 2013, 02:51 PM
My hair is in an awkward length area right now, too short (and thick) for easy one stick buns but too long for all the other styles I know.
So it's been taking me about 10-15 mins lately (lots of braiding and pinning) unless I put one braid in the back of my head. But with my frizzy hair I don't really count that as being "done" since it's not very presentable :S

Chamomile betty
November 19th, 2013, 03:09 PM
I scrunch my hair after my S&C and that's done at night twice a week. The next morning I either rescrunch or may use the curling iron to touch up. On work days maybe 5 minutes because I use my trusty Ficcare Maximas. When wearing down there is more effort so maybe 15 minutes.

hypersensitive
November 19th, 2013, 09:58 PM
It takes 15 seconds to put it up into a nautilus. I live in a nautilus bun and I love it.

It takes 45 seconds to braid it for my bedtime braid.

Skade
November 20th, 2013, 03:06 AM
Generally it takes me about 2 minutes to make my hair in the morning, just up in a quick bun it goes. But sometimes when I am doing something special I put some more time and love into it.

Lyv
November 20th, 2013, 03:37 AM
If I'm leaving it down then it doesn't take anytime at all I just leave it as is, if I'm wearing it up it usually takes 5ish minutes to get it up and tuck the layers a little longer if I'm braiding.

Ambystoma
November 20th, 2013, 04:04 AM
Less than 5 minutes - my usual routine is:
1. Take down from sleep style (bun/braid/rag curls)
2. Detangle in sections from bottom up with wide tooth comb
3. Put back up

If I'm wearing it down that day then I like to put it up for 10 minutes or so after combing to get it to look sleek again, but I do this while I put on my makeup so it doesn't add any extra time, I just take it down and shake it out gently before I walk out the door.

florenonite
November 20th, 2013, 06:38 AM
About ten to twenty minutes, depending on whether I do a normal braid or something complicated. And most of that is detangling because my hair is so thick.

Although with my hair's dislike of restraint, I end up more in the 15-20 minute range from redoing something.

Have you tried a Tangle Teezer? My hair's a similar length/thickness and I can detangle with my TT in 30 seconds, tops. It's much faster than a wide-tooth comb.

1nuitblanche
November 20th, 2013, 07:36 AM
About 5 minutes. I like to try and get some volume near my crown, so sometimes that takes a few tries. Back when I wore hairsticks, it took less than a minute. Maybe when my little ones have grown out of the grabby but defenseless stage I'll grow my hair long enough for hairsticks again.

UltraBella
November 20th, 2013, 08:48 AM
On the average day when I'm going to work, five minutes. Only because I have bangs. I pin them back while sleeping so then I have to wet them and blow dry them really quickly in the morning. I don't mind at all, they're really cute & worth the little bit of effort.
If I'm leaving my hair down & curling my entire head, 20 minutes.

Venefica
November 20th, 2013, 09:06 AM
It depends, on the days where I brush it I can use two hours brushing it out, at least an hour and I often do so while watching TV shows with my hubby. Most days I just finger comb it and then run a brush through it to make it smooth and shiny and those days, I do not know it depends on the style, if I am wearing a nautilus bun then three minutes, if a braided Chinese bun then around 15.

MaryO
November 20th, 2013, 09:09 AM
I think if my styling took a minute it would be long. My hair is still quite short and I usually just bun it usin spin pins or a towelled band- easy!

rock007junkie
November 20th, 2013, 12:22 PM
I'm a curly so on wash day it takes a while...good 30 mins if not more to apply styler and gel section by section and then diffuse for 5 mins or so. The other days it takes me about 2 minutes.

ashke50
December 1st, 2013, 02:23 PM
Averages to about 5 minutes. Can be 2 minutes if I'm doing a simple bun and it goes right first time, and 10-15 mins if I am trying something new or the style involves lots of plaiting...

makeminea99
December 1st, 2013, 02:47 PM
On a wash day (once or twice a week) I'll usually let it air dry, then pile it up in a bun when it's halfway dry. Day to day, it varies from about 2 minutes (including combing or brushing it out) to 10 or 15 minutes, depending on whether it's just down with my fringe pinned or braided out of the way, a quick bun with a hair stick, or something more intricate.

Juniper.
December 1st, 2013, 03:27 PM
I mostly wear my hair down so however long it takes to take out the bun/plait I've been sleeping in and comb through with my fingers. About 30 seconds.

mariakatija
December 1st, 2013, 07:43 PM
It never takes more than 10 minutes. Sometimes only 1 minute if I simply put it in a bun.

joflakes
December 2nd, 2013, 12:33 PM
It depends what day it is.
If I wash and braid it wet, it'll take about 10-15 minutes to do that.
If it is a normal day when it's dry, I take a couple minutes to use my TT to detangle, then about one more minute to pony/braid/bun it up. :)

biogirl87
December 2nd, 2013, 03:30 PM
Not counting the time it takes me to wash my hair and dry it (and I do not think this would count here as I wash my hair only once or twice a week and try to not get it wet on non-wash days), it takes me somewhere between 30 or 45 seconds and one minute to do my hair in the morning. All I need to do now with my hair in the morning is brush it and make sure the bangs lay nice. Much of the time, if I put my bangs on the left side of my face/head, they will lay nicely without me having to do anything more than brushing them to the side, which usually gets done when I brush the left side of my hair. While it might sounds like quite a bit of work, it takes a lot less time than it used to take me to just detangle my hair when it was at BSL as at that length it would normally take me 15-20 minutes to just detangle my hair (even with sleeping with a sleep cap on). Now that I have had my hair cut to about an inch above shoulder length, I do not have any tangles to deal with so all I have to do with my hair in the morning is brush it, make sure it lays nice (which it typically does on its own, without any oils or other products), and I am ready for my day.

SongofLove
December 3rd, 2013, 01:33 PM
Gosh...I can't believe that the vast majority of answers are such a short time period! I'm amazed--a couple minutes, even under a minute? 10 -20 minutes even with detangling and/or washing?

Detangling for me always takes at least 30 minutes; usually more if I had my hair down (i.e. not in a bun; it tangles in a braid also). I detangle with my wide-toothed comb and Tangle Teezer and detangle until my hair is completely untangled from scalp to ends. After detangling, the actual hairstyle only takes a minute or so.

Woah, I can't get over it! How are you all detangling so quickly? Oh well -- I enjoy combing and brushing, they feel so luxurious :)

wrh452
December 3rd, 2013, 02:27 PM
On days when it is clean I just brush it and go. Otherwise, I wash it, then just comb it out and blow dry the bangs and let the rest dry.

LauraLongLocks
December 3rd, 2013, 02:40 PM
Gosh...I can't believe that the vast majority of answers are such a short time period! I'm amazed--a couple minutes, even under a minute? 10 -20 minutes even with detangling and/or washing?

Detangling for me always takes at least 30 minutes; usually more if I had my hair down (i.e. not in a bun; it tangles in a braid also). I detangle with my wide-toothed comb and Tangle Teezer and detangle until my hair is completely untangled from scalp to ends. After detangling, the actual hairstyle only takes a minute or so.

Woah, I can't get over it! How are you all detangling so quickly? Oh well -- I enjoy combing and brushing, they feel so luxurious :)

It doesn't take me much time to detangle, because there just aren't very many tangles in my hair. I wear it up all day, and oiled in a sleep cap (loose) every night, so it doesn't have any opportunities to get tangled. I detangle and brush before taking a shower, and I'm gentle with it in the shower, so as to avoid creating tangles.

dianahottie
December 19th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Less then a minute as I just throw it into a french twist with a clip and GO lol

katiebeans
December 19th, 2013, 03:41 PM
On wash day I let my hair air dry and it is good to go without any touching. The day or two after when I am likely to wear it down takes only a minute while I take it out of the braid I slept in and shake it out. For the next few greasy days until I wash again, it might take me 2 minutes or 20 to style it in a top knot, depending on how difficult my hair is being :)

vindo
December 19th, 2013, 06:39 PM
I don't style or use products, so it depends on the hair do.

Buns are quick so it takes a few mins to comb my hair and a few seconds for a bun. Anything braided or more complicated can take 10-15 mins. :)

Hair down is easiest, it dries after I leave the house and I simply comb it once dry.

see_turtle
December 19th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Less than one minute I wash it then comb it and put it up. I typically wear it in my version of a log roll held with a ficcare. Unless I'm attempting braids then about an hour because I have to do it over and over until it is perfect.

Avital88
December 19th, 2013, 09:21 PM
not long.. maximum of 5 minutes i would say

Joly
December 20th, 2013, 02:40 AM
Five to ten minutes, because I like to linger with the comb.

Almendra
December 20th, 2013, 02:47 AM
I'm the dumbest person ever about updos. If I'm going to do something that I usually do, it takes 15-30 minutes (I'm very perfectionist too). But if I'm trying to do something new, it could take 1-2 hours, it, depends of the difficult of the updo, sometimes I can't even finish it, then I go for something that I already know.

starlamelissa
December 20th, 2013, 07:13 AM
I unbraid, spray with aussie leave in conditioner spray, brush out, rebraid.

5 minutes?

Fairlight63
December 20th, 2013, 07:49 AM
I wake up & take off my sleep cap, comb my hair & put it in a bun - so 5 min. maybe

lapushka
December 20th, 2013, 07:57 AM
On wash day, after it's been in a turbie towel for 15 to 20 minutes, it gets combed out (no tangles BTW due to conditioning twice). Then a leave-in goes in, serum goes in, and a gel (see the thread on the "loc method"). Then it's left to airdry for an hour to an hour and a half, and then a diffuser goes through for a total of 5 minutes. Done! This is done weekly, and the rest of the week, the hair is just put up into an updo (no combing, no brushing). That's all.

Sharysa
December 20th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Have you tried a Tangle Teezer? My hair's a similar length/thickness and I can detangle with my TT in 30 seconds, tops. It's much faster than a wide-tooth comb.

Oh boy, this is a SUPER late response. I actually finger-comb my hair except on wash-days, since my hair is almost-wavy (1c/2a) and it frizzes if I comb too much. Even using a really nice wooden comb pulled all the wave out, and I'm fine with longer detangling times if it keeps my hair wavy.

Alarice
December 20th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Currently zero time since I just wear it down the majority of the time--if I do wear it up it's usually in a cinnamon bun, which only takes, what, a minute? Boring, but practical...
But after reading so much on here, I am very interested in learning new (quick) ways to put it up, since many folks seem to put theirs up frequently to avoid damage/achieve more length.

Chiquita Banana
December 20th, 2013, 03:32 PM
On wash day, I put it up in a turbie twist for about 15 minutes and then finger comb. Let it air dry for a while and then braid it. On non-wash days - I usually spend less than 3 minutes putting it up. If I braid it first, it might take 7 minutes. I do really simple styles though.

ErinLeigh
December 20th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Turbie towel 10 minutes while I putter around then 10 minutes to blow dry with round brush. I have annoying layers so it must be done if going out.
If I am going to work or just staying in 5min to blow dry front then air dry rest.

Kelli Kat
December 20th, 2013, 03:46 PM
A couple of minutes. Brush it, put it in a bun good to go.

Flournoy
December 22nd, 2013, 04:27 PM
10 minutes maybe on a long day. Get up comb it out a bit and tie it back.

bekahleigh
December 22nd, 2013, 04:37 PM
About two minutes for detangling and bun or pony it. Boom, done.

ArienEllariel
December 22nd, 2013, 05:21 PM
It depends on what I'm doing. My go to out of the house look is usually a half up. That takes 5 minutes max (mostly cause I have to pull up and smooth out my growing out bangs with bobby pins first before the rest of my hair. A bun can take longer depending on the style and because my hair is so darn slippery that my sticks try to slide out.

Pierre
December 22nd, 2013, 08:11 PM
On most days, either no time (I sleep with my hair bunned and just take off the Buff) or a minute to adjust the buns. Once a week, I take about half an hour to rebraid it. That's not counting the time to undo the braids and comb out loose hairs, which I do in the shower.

alexis917
December 22nd, 2013, 08:50 PM
I wash my hair at night because it needs a solid 3 hours to be pretty much dry (as in, just a few stubborn damp areas).

Actual styling:
-only about 3/5 minutes if I'm wearing it down, because I just brush it and I'm good to go.
-buns are fast. 3/5 minutes for my messy bun- about the same for a cinnabun- and I can do a lazy wrap with a stick very quickly, too.
-ponytails are actually the longest because I get annoyed by little lumps, so about 5 minutes.
-10 minutes for French or Dutch braid.

I'm looking to expand my style arsenal, though!

AnqeIicDemise
December 23rd, 2013, 12:57 AM
About five to fifteen minutes depending how wet and/or how elaborate I want my hair to be.

bekahleigh
December 23rd, 2013, 01:13 AM
Oh, or overnight if i'm doing braid waves lol I divide my hair into four sections, two on top two on bottom, and braid tightly. Go to sleep. Wake up, unbraid, spray a bit of my conditioner and water mix, maybe pull half up, done.

Alena
December 23rd, 2013, 02:36 AM
It only takes around five minutes for me. I comb it and usually put it in a ponytail or a braid. I don't really know how to do much with it yet!

tigereye
December 23rd, 2013, 03:19 AM
Usually about a minute and a half. Brush, bun, go. I usually do a nautilus or a celtic knot. A celtic knot needs two minutes.

That said, the last week I've been doing twin French braids, rope-braided together and bunned. I had a show and needed the same hairstyle every day. That, along with putting my uniform on, took about 20 minutes, and the uniform by itself usually takes between 5-10 minutes. So 10-15 minutes.

If its something super-fancy, then obviously longer, but neither of these are regular occurrences.

Cania
December 23rd, 2013, 04:52 AM
Five minutes if I was good and remembered to put my hair up the night before. Add another five or ten for detangling if I slept with it down... :o

Katrina
December 23rd, 2013, 03:07 PM
About two minutes. I comb it and do a Nautilus bun.