PDA

View Full Version : How to bring back curls after henna?

kganihanova
November 16th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Hello all! I'm a long term henna user but I'm thinking of stopping because of shedding issues but also because henna kills my curl. I'm normally a 2c but the henna turned my hair into 2a curl/wave. Any tips for getting my 2c waves back?

rock007junkie
November 17th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Try amla masks for a couple of weeks after and maybe hennaing less often.

patienceneeded
November 17th, 2013, 11:34 AM
CO washing? Or a shampoo and conditioner formulated for curly hair? Have you tried scrunching or drying with a diffuser?

CurlyCap
November 17th, 2013, 05:28 PM
I've heard a lot on LHC that the color of henne doesn't go away, but from dark haired people, I've also heard the "effects" often fade with time.

I'd co-wash it and CG it for a few months and the curl should gradually return.

Aingeal
November 17th, 2013, 06:43 PM
I'd try a few amla treatments. I'm going to be using it on my curls from the start to try and keep them from being weighed down by henna.

kganihanova
November 17th, 2013, 07:33 PM
I do half of the CG method, I've tried co washing but that doesn't clean my hair well enough. I use coconut oil as a curl definer/leave in and scrunch damp hair. I've also cut down significantly on brushing/combing. The curl is coming back but not quickly enough :/ I'm gonna go ahead and try the amla treatments too.

tbonita
November 19th, 2013, 02:41 AM
You could also add amla right in with your henna... But some have reported a more muted brownish red doing this. I never experienced it though.

durgidog
November 28th, 2013, 08:37 PM
I've used amla in my henna mix, as a mask, and I've also made amla oil (not to retain curl, just for conditioning). I really liked it but it did add a brown tone to my henna so I discontinued use.

Shatam1
November 28th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Amla did nothing for my curls, it just darkened my hennaed hair and I also stopped using it a long time ago. I use it as a facial mask from time to time...lately a friend of mine presented me with a gift as I was complaining about my loss of curls. It is Catwalk by Tigi, curl collection,curlesque curls rock amplifier. It is a cream to define and separate curls. It is probably full of cones but it is the Only thing that brought back my curls a bit lately and gave them a kind of soft bounce that I love. Whatever this thing is made of I don't care as my hair never felt better:) hope it continues.

kganihanova
December 2nd, 2013, 02:51 PM
Update: Laying off the henna and coconut oiling more frequently seems to be bringing some curl back. I even have a few ringlets!!!:D