PDA

View Full Version : Is short hair becoming the new trend again?

ProverbsGirl
November 16th, 2013, 11:52 AM
I am not one to follow trends, or even really keep up with celebrities.
I just noticed on here and on the news..that a lot of the normally long hair celebs are going super short. I'm actually surprised at some of them who are going short...such as Jennifer Aniston.
Has anyone else noticed this?
If so...you know what is going to happen. The trend followers are going to be going short and there will be even more people recommending we cut ours too. :P
Sorry...just a random thought that hit me today.

millyaulait
November 16th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Yes, in the past 6 months I've noticed a lot of shoulder length > apl hair cropping up, not so many pixies, but people are definitely chopping off the longer lengths in favour of shorter, more chic hairdos. I think this sort of thing happens every few years, then it turns around to long hair, then short, then long again. I don't think it ever ends! :eek:

kganihanova
November 16th, 2013, 11:59 AM
I don't think so.......I think its more people chopping off damage to grow long.

heatherlynnc
November 16th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Jennifer Aniston had to chop off her hair after she destroyed her hair getting a Brazilian blowout treatment (or so I read on the Internet...)

Other than that, I couldn't tell you trends :-)

Ashflower89
November 16th, 2013, 12:07 PM
This might be kind of mean and vengeful, but the more people that cut their hair off, the more people I can say I have longer hair than lmao. I have always been very jealous of my boyfriends ex, she's always had such long beautiful waves. Just before my last pixie cut in May, she had cut her hair up to chin and I was finally longer than her. I was unnecessarily excited about it. =p

spidermom
November 16th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Quite a few of us LHC regulars have been getting haircuts, too. Nothing wrong with that. Long hair doesn't reflect moral or aesthetic superiority.

HintOfMint
November 16th, 2013, 12:54 PM
I don't really think so. For as long as I can remember, some celebrity is always cutting off their hair and making a scene about it. I don't think there's going to be an uptick in people telling us to cut our hair as a result.

jeanniet
November 16th, 2013, 01:02 PM
I would suspect that a lot of the shorter cuts are due to the flat ironing trend. I see plenty of women with pretty thin ends for about 6" because of straightening damage, so some of them are probably opting to go shorter rather than keep the damage.

chen bao jun
November 16th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Jennifer Aniston can cut hers short, I still want mine long. I don't care what other people do with their hair, I'm growing mine for me.

Madora
November 16th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Trends have been with us for ages.

Shorter hair will be "in" because it is what is considered "fashionable" by celebs or whoever. Once they tire of it, it'll be something else.

It tickles me that none of the celebs have ever considered really long hair (waist or longer)...because that takes too much effort!

Of course Crystal Gayle comes to mind...but she's the exception!

Leafy
November 16th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Before I joined LHC, I was always jealous of people with longer hair, as my hair was only just short of being BSL at most before I've had it cut again.
I saw a girl with really long, natural hair. I can't quite remember how long it was, but I only saw her on the bus and she had a big coat on too, so I couldn't see much from where I was. But it was a lot longer than I'm used to seeing, and as I was sure there were no hair extensions involved, I almost saw her as a hair goddess. >_<

I'm determined to grow my hair out log and natural too. I am simply going to ban colouring my hair after I've grown my current colour out (I have 3 more semi's to use up, so I'll only be using them when my current semi fades out to blonde/white and go over the top).
And I'm going to invest in Cloud 9 Straighteners for use only when I may really need them and make sure I use enough good quality heat protector.

Other than that, hopefully I'll do well with my growing. But I never want short hair again!

The only thing I'm worried about is being tempted to get a long 'scene' hair cut, as I don't think I want layers incase my hair ends get dry and frizzy, so it'll probably be more noticeable. Eep!

AmyBeth
November 16th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Jennifer Lawrence cut hers, she said it was "fried" due to too many colorings. I don't know why Pamela Anderson cut hers, but I think she looks amazing with a pixie. Some actresses do it for whatever role they may be filming. I consider my long hair a part of me, I will never cut above APL again. But I think that many women consider their hair to be an accessory, to be changed according to the season, or the fashion trends, or their mood.

Magalo
November 16th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Well where I live there's so much more long, natural hair, but I guess everybody will start chopping since the celeb are doing it.

Katze
November 16th, 2013, 02:33 PM
I liked the shaved sides trend, and yearned for it for a long time. Then came Postpartum Shed 2, and I had NO desire to go through the growing-out of that again (I had waited it out, trimming the wispy ends, with Baby #1). So I did something I'd wanted to do for years...cut it short, shaved the sides, dyed it blue. It was FUN. It is now growing out and I have a three-tone dye job (dipped ends, turquoise middle, brown/silver roots) and I have to admit I LIKE seeing short hair on other women. (my hair isn't really 'short' by normal standards, since it almost reaches shoulder in the front). When I was trying for long hair (but failing) I liked looking at long hair on other women (especially in real life). I think at some level we all like seeing ourselves reflected in others, so maybe some people are following celebrities' styles and cutting hair short.

I don't watch TV or follow what is trendy but I do like the look of the edgier, mostly younger women I see with unnaturally colored hair and shaved sides. In the early 80s when punk was in I was too young to do this, and am enjoying getting in touch with my "real" self by sporting a radical hairdo. If others copy me, maybe it will be a trend, but I just think everyone should do whatever makes them happy with their hair.

For me fighting nature (taper, thin ends, wispy natural layery) was making me unhappy. Cutting my hair doesn't make me trendy but it did give a boost to my self-image at a time when it is sorely needed.

monsoonstorm
November 16th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Celebs are generally at the whims of the roles they are playing (film actresses, anyway)

Sometimes they need to go short for roles, sometimes they need to do silly stuff to their hair for roles which leads to an inevitable cut.

Sometimes they go for a drastic cut to shed their stereotype (Emma Watson, Miley Cyrus etc.)

I don't pay celeb hairstyles too much attention, if it gets people away from those awful bleached blonde teased updo/bun monstrosities though, I'm all for it.

nobeltonya
November 16th, 2013, 02:58 PM
I think they just needed a change or something. I, personally, couldn't be happier with my hair and its length, and I definitely wouldn't cut it just because someone told me to or because everyone else is doing it.. that would be one more reason for me to keep it long! :D For some reason, people assume short hair is easier to manage [which is soooo not the case]. :disco:

Absinthium
November 16th, 2013, 03:02 PM
I noticed that some time ago as well. I like how it looks and it's quite possible that soon lots of women would get pixie cut just because of that (just like it was with that ombre hair trend, which I personally didn't like at all). But I don't think that it's going to put any kind of pressure on long haired folks to cut their hair.

Sillage
November 16th, 2013, 03:04 PM
No, not at all. You still see long hair up and down the catwalks.

Leafy
November 16th, 2013, 03:08 PM
I really wish I didn't have short hair. I regret bleaching my hair so much. But I'm certainly not trying to follow any trend, lol. I WANT LONG HAIR!
Anyone wanna trade their hair with me for a pink pixie cut? :scissors:

thirstylocks
November 16th, 2013, 03:20 PM
All my friends are sporting pixies and bobs now!! I love their edgy looks! But, short hair just isn't for me.

When I cut my hair into a bob a couple years ago I did it out of necessity to chop off damage. I wish I could rock a bob or pixie (I LOVE the way Victoria Beckham looks with short hair but it just doesn't look good on my face and my hair is too poofy to ever look good that short.) I also love the way Kate Beckinsale rocks her short hair as a sexy, powerful vampire lady. If only I looked like that when my hair was that short!!

Peggy E.
November 16th, 2013, 04:48 PM
The fashion industry is just that - an INDUSTRY. It is important for the continuing success of designers, manufacturers and hair stylists that they encourage a continual shift in looks and styles to sell people in order to keep their sales up.

You need to set out celebrities and people others seek out make their appearances with new, trendy hair, clothes, makeup so others see it and want to imitate their looks themselves.

Hair is more of a challenge because it's not simply a matter of shorter vs. longer hemlines from one season to the next. It's not that easy to make your hair longer the next season after you've cut it off for this one.

And it is fun to change up your look, but it's not necessary for most of us. It's a choice, like most things.

So, just because others chose to cut their hair to fit a trend doesn't mean you have to.

If it IS important to you to be on trend, simply wear your hair up in such a manner people don't really take note of the fact it is long and wait for the next seasonal trend to come along, then let your long hair down and be right in style! ;o)

Tini'sNewHair
November 16th, 2013, 05:05 PM
I was shocked that Beyonce went for a pixie, shes never done that im pretty sure. Anyway haha, I agree that short hairstyles are coming back in fashion. So many celebs has it now for whatever reason... There probably is people out there no doubt who goes short because they simply like the cut, others is to copy a celebrity etc. I actually had a cut after a celebrity as well but that was more by chance. I was looking for a dead blunt close to chin length haircut so i could re-grow my virgin hair back and after hours of re-research i finally found THE cut. EVEN THO, the say is that hairdressers will more likely do the exact cut you want if you bring a picture in, i STILL ended up with a FRIKIN BOB!!!!! I was sooooooooooooo upset. I REALLY dislike hairdressers!!!!!!!!!!

Mrsbaybeegurl
November 16th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Well according to the Daily Mail (not sure if they are ever really accurate) but they just put out an article yesterday titled "The Hollywood chop effect: Online searches for 'pixie haircut' are 511 times higher than this time last year" So there is something to be said to the statement of the OP and her observation. I never really had short hair (a chin length bob a few times but never pixie) and all the hollywood hype doesn't make me want one just b/c so and so did it..but yes, sadly a lot of ppl do follow trends like that.

I can't understand it but I realize I'm an odd ball sometimes and tend not to go with the flow anyways lol I think some people do it for the so called liberating effect or wow effect it may give to "get rid" of most of their hair but I feel that way about growing my hair. I'de rather let down my bun and have someone go, "WOW look how long your hair is" with no further comment rather then walk in a room and hear "OMG you cut it off!! It looks soooo amazing!" B/c for 1 when women say your hair looks awesome (besides us lovely ladies on LHC lol) they usually don't mean it and when they tell us to cut it, it's outta jealousy sometimes.

My hair is a bit past BSL now and I'm already getting the Wow! your hair is getting sooo long from friends and family, perhaps its b/c short is in, but regardless I want it at Hip or Tailbone and love hearing people call it long!! lol And like another poster said, maybe it's wrong but having everyone run to get pixies just makes me one of the few with long hair and I like to stand out a bit lol When they all run and get extensions, mine will be real!

prettyinpink
November 16th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Yes, did you guys see Jennifer Lawrence's new hair? What a shame. The pixie looks nice, but the long hair was much better. This is no new news but Ellie Goulding shaved the side of her head. /:

shutterpillar
November 16th, 2013, 06:46 PM
I'll admit, I have been eyeballing all the pictures of pixie cuts on Pinterest. I've never personally had one, and I don't expect I ever will just because it's too much maintenance for me. I do admire them on others though. :)

Nedertane
November 16th, 2013, 06:53 PM
I'de rather let down my bun and have someone go, "WOW look how long your hair is" with no further comment rather then walk in a room and hear "OMG you cut it off!! It looks soooo amazing!" B/c for 1 when women say your hair looks awesome (besides us lovely ladies on LHC lol) they usually don't mean it and when they tell us to cut it, it's outta jealousy sometimes.

My hair is a bit past BSL now and I'm already getting the Wow! your hair is getting sooo long from friends and family, perhaps its b/c short is in, but regardless I want it at Hip or Tailbone and love hearing people call it long!! lol And like another poster said, maybe it's wrong but having everyone run to get pixies just makes me one of the few with long hair and I like to stand out a bit lol When they all run and get extensions, mine will be real!

Time for me to exit this thread. Later, y'all.

swearnsue
November 16th, 2013, 07:04 PM
I was thinking the same thing, there are more short hair styles now than a year ago. Since it is always a cycle I guess it's time for the short hair in style thing now. Good, now I won't have the shortest hair in the room anymore!!!

endlessly
November 16th, 2013, 07:31 PM
I've definitely started to notice the sudden appearance of more drastic long to extremely short haircuts in the media. I know in the area I live, most women are at shoulder-length or even shorter and the longer-haired women (such as myself) are few and far between, plus there also seems to be a huge number of people obsessed with hair donation. Since my hair sits at TBL, I'm constantly dealing with questions and more often than not, rather rude remarks about the length and my "selfish" attitude towards keeping it long versus donating it or trimming it to a "more fashionable" hairstyle. The best way to avoid ridicule is to wear it up and since the "short hair trend" is only going to continue as celebrities change their style, I can imagine there will be more and more pressure especially from the celebrity-obsessed. I'm sure everyone remembers Jennifer Aniston's 'Rachel' haircut years ago and how insanely popular that was! The only positive I can take from this is knowing that trends are not forever and before long, those people that chopped their hair are going to regret it.

jeanniet
November 16th, 2013, 10:06 PM
I think Jennifer Lawrence's pixie looks really, really adorable on her. I don't have an issue with short hair at all. I think if people want it, they should have it. If they want it long, they should have it long. But then I don't give a flip about trends in general.

ErinLeigh
November 16th, 2013, 10:28 PM
I read Jennifer Aniston cut hers due to damage from a Brazilian Blowout so i don't think it was her preference. Celebs tend to go short every few years but with access to stylists and high end extensions it probably isn't the same hell to grow it back out.
I did read an article recently however saying the Shoulder Length style is "in" this year. They had a list of reason why it was so great. Face flattering, ease of styling, can be pinned to look shorter or wear extensions for longer, still long enough for updos yada yada yada. The article raved about it but meh...its not my favorite length.

Regarding people advising long haired people to cut..I always assumed it was jealousy. Or they want you to be like THEM. Kind of like when a couple has a baby and then wants everyone they know to start producing children so they will all be alike. People like it when everyone is same. It keeps them from being wistful of what someone else has.

0xalis
November 16th, 2013, 10:34 PM
Good. I like to be "different." Besides, long hair is a sign of good health and patience ♥

ErinLeigh
November 16th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Trends have been with us for ages.

Shorter hair will be "in" because it is what is considered "fashionable" by celebs or whoever. Once they tire of it, it'll be something else.

It tickles me that none of the celebs have ever considered really long hair (waist or longer)...because that takes too much effort!

Of course Crystal Gayle comes to mind...but she's the exception!

Crystal Gayle is the only celeb i can even think of who ever had reallly long hair. (Cher was the closest after that)
After reading about long hair here I am surprised at the ease Crystal had wearing her hair down so often. Her hair always look great too. Looked like she simply S/C and airdryed. Wonder if she had any secret long hair tricks like oiling back then. Her hair looks great today still. Just googled her recent picture.

ErinLeigh
November 16th, 2013, 11:01 PM
I've definitely started to notice the sudden appearance of more drastic long to extremely short haircuts in the media. I know in the area I live, most women are at shoulder-length or even shorter and the longer-haired women (such as myself) are few and far between, plus there also seems to be a huge number of people obsessed with hair donation. .

IF people are so obsessed with donation doesn't it seem selfish for them not to grow long virgin hair so THEY can donate it. They are the vain ones, refusing to give up dye and refusing to grow so some poor kid can wear their hair. Funny how its ok for YOU to not have the hair you want, but they get to rock theirs however they choose? Its maddening.

Long_hair_bear
November 16th, 2013, 11:24 PM
Trend or no trend, THIS Becky Bear is keeping her hair long!

florenonite
November 17th, 2013, 03:37 AM
Yes, did you guys see Jennifer Lawrence's new hair? What a shame. The pixie looks nice, but the long hair was much better. This is no new news but Ellie Goulding shaved the side of her head. /:

Her long hair was damaged from dyeing, so I don't agree the long hair was better; I prefer a healthy pixie to long and damaged :shrug:

I think the damage a lot of celebs' hair undergoes is part of the reason behind this cycle. Hair gets damaged, so a few of them chop it off, then more follow, then everyone misses long hair so they grow it out, but it gets damaged again, so repeat.

Sunny_side_up
November 17th, 2013, 03:56 AM
Im not one to follow trends, everyones different. My friend did a big chop to get rid of what she said were messy damaged ends. She didn't feel better after, the shoulder skimming one length cut was dull and not really attention grabbing she felt, even though lots of people were saying it suited her. Felt a part of her was missing :( She liked letting her long hair down and said it was part of her flirty extrovert persona.
For some, hair is something to be regularly chopped and changed or people keep a certain style because they like the high or low maintenance aspect, this can be applied to long, med or short hair.

After a huge shed im thinking the quantity and quality of my hair doesn't look good at this length,(seemed to stall a bit this year too) i don't generally ask for opinions on hair, maybe just my mum? with a positive mindset, im most likely heading in a change the length/style and feeling a boost in the difference in look and handling of the hair.

Night_Kitten
November 17th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Yes, in the past 6 months I've noticed a lot of shoulder length > apl hair cropping up, not so many pixies, but people are definitely chopping off the longer lengths in favour of shorter, more chic hairdos. I think this sort of thing happens every few years, then it turns around to long hair, then short, then long again. I don't think it ever ends! :eek:

Yep, seems people need to "change things up" or "freshen things" every once in a while, and the trends serve that purpose... It gives people the opportunity to do something "new" and feel good about it...

I don't think so.......I think its more people chopping off damage to grow long.

Would be great if it really was the case, wouldn't it? :)

Trend or no trend, THIS Becky Bear is keeping her hair long!

LOL, I second that :D

Wildcat Diva
November 17th, 2013, 10:43 AM
I only follow trends I love. So no fear here for me.

Tota
November 17th, 2013, 10:47 AM
I noticed that maybe "healthy" look could be the new trend ... I'm not sure, but I notice more and more celebrities running around in workout clothes, no make-up ... Then both Jennifers (Lawrence and Aniston) cut their damaged hair off, Pam Anderson decided to get rid of her bleached mess, devoting herself to a healthier lifestyle altogether (I think she said she got rid of it because it's easier to run without it? Or maybe because she runs a lot the upkeep is too much ... it's hard to make those extensions look good I guess). It's not just celebrities I see that do that, more and more of my family members and friends are trying to become healthier and improve the quality of their lifestyle ... And hair is maybe just one of those things that shows our health on the "outside". Let's face it, short or long - if it's healthy and well cared for, it's beautiful :)

Leafy
November 17th, 2013, 10:58 AM
I noticed that maybe "healthy" look could be the new trend ... I'm not sure, but I notice more and more celebrities running around in workout clothes, no make-up ... Then both Jennifers (Lawrence and Aniston) cut their damaged hair off, Pam Anderson decided to get rid of her bleached mess, devoting herself to a healthier lifestyle altogether (I think she said she got rid of it because it's easier to run without it? Or maybe because she runs a lot the upkeep is too much ... it's hard to make those extensions look good I guess). It's not just celebrities I see that do that, more and more of my family members and friends are trying to become healthier and improve the quality of their lifestyle ... And hair is maybe just one of those things that shows our health on the "outside". Let's face it, short or long - if it's healthy and well cared for, it's beautiful :)
Now this I like.

A simple, obvious way I like to put my opinion is for example, I think healthy hair looks miles better than a nice colour on ratty looking hair that's been damaged, neglected and of very poor quality. Imagine your colour washing out unevenly. Think about breakage right on the top of your head, brushing hair over to cover it and that snaps off too. Hell has awoken! :eek:

And the above example is pretty much (almost) what's happened to me, apart from the ratty looking hair bit. xD And I've had my hair chopped into a pixie and I've now decided to grow it out dye free. I would never had had a pixie if my hair didn't need to be cut. I just want to take care of it now.

jeanniet
November 17th, 2013, 02:27 PM

This is a great outlook. I also don't think it's reasonable to expect most celebrities to have long, natural hair because of professional demands. They just don't have the options for care that we do because of roles, social appearances, etc.

Crumpet
November 17th, 2013, 03:03 PM
A lot of the celebs did mention cutting off damage. It would be nice to see healthy hair becoming the trend. I don't really mind one way or the other. I love having long hair!

LaurelSpring
November 17th, 2013, 05:36 PM
I have seen a lot of the latest pixies and cuts and to be honest I don't think they are very flattering. I just have a preference for long hair. I bet if you quizzed the guys, they wouldn't be too thrilled with it either! I am perfectly fine with short hair being the trend because as someone else said, I love being the person with the longest hair. I do however understand wanting healthy hair.

Leafy
November 18th, 2013, 10:58 AM
I feel kind of terrified of my hair if it was the same length and style it is now, but all natural. I'm afraid of looking like a boy, and I haven't got one of those little headband things with a bow on top. Ok, I'm terrible with accessories, but never mind that for now!

People at work are telling me to either put brown on my pink or shave all my hair off. I told them no on both accounts for various reasons, and my hair isn't as bad as it used to be, as most of the damage was on the ends when my hair was a lot longer. My hair mainly broke off at the top of my head because a girl pulled too hard on my hair with rollers (which I'm never letting her do again).

Fighting fire with fire is not the answer with me, and putting more chemicals on my hair is not going to work - especially when I know that either the brown won't stay, or it'll fade lighter if it does. I've had colour correction before to help a friend pass her assessments, and my hair was in much better condition then. I can't expect my hair to behave now after stupidly over-bleaching it.

I wish people would stop telling me what to do with my hair, as I'm already trying to take care of it by cutting it as often until all the colour is gone. I'm aware of the state it's in, but adding more colour won't help and I don't need to be as drastic as shaving my hair, thank you very much. If my hair grows fast (which it's doing reasonably well considering it's condition and the cold), I shouldn't have to resort to more dye and I can keep trimming my hair until it's all healthy again. I'm not going to let roots bother me - my hair's health is more important than its colour, and I don't want to shave my hair and have people think I'm recovering from an illness like they thought when I was younger.

/hair rant

Alun
November 18th, 2013, 12:59 PM
I have seen a lot of the latest pixies and cuts and to be honest I don't think they are very flattering. I just have a preference for long hair. I bet if you quizzed the guys, they wouldn't be too thrilled with it either! I am perfectly fine with short hair being the trend because as someone else said, I love being the person with the longest hair. I do however understand wanting healthy hair.

We're not thrilled. Well, I'm not anyway.

juliaxena
November 18th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Quite a few of us LHC regulars have been getting haircuts, too. Nothing wrong with that. Long hair doesn't reflect moral or aesthetic superiority.

Couldn't have said it better.

askan
November 18th, 2013, 02:17 PM
I noticed a trend here in Sweden about two years ago with people wearing their hair in a sort of short cut with the upper hair slicked back. Swedish former high jumping star Kajsa Bergqvist sports a typical one is this pic:
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kajsa_Bergqvist

Now most of the girls I know who cut their hair like that have grown it to around shoulder length. I think that particular style was kind of hard to pull off!
A friend of mine had struggled for years with curly, highlighted, dry and damaged SL hair and one day she simply cut it in a short pixie and dyed it brown. She went from very sweet and girly-looking to super-awesome-hot-looking woman and it suited her so well! It makes me wonder if I have found "my" haircut yet :P

Tressie
November 18th, 2013, 07:30 PM
I agree with Madora! That's what I was thinking too. :flower:

Sorry, I meant to show Madora's comment. It's #10 on page one of this thread! oops!

YamaMaya
November 19th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Crystal Gayle is the only celeb i can even think of who ever had reallly long hair. (Cher was the closest after that)
After reading about long hair here I am surprised at the ease Crystal had wearing her hair down so often. Her hair always look great too. Looked like she simply S/C and airdryed. Wonder if she had any secret long hair tricks like oiling back then. Her hair looks great today still. Just googled her recent picture.
*google crystal gayle* :thud: I think I just found my hair idol...I would KILL to have that hair, KILL I TELL YOU!!!